“relaxing and fabulous” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive

Save Saved
You added Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive to your Saves list
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Blvd #41 | Druif Beach, Oranjestad, Aruba   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Oranjestad
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“relaxing and fabulous”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Well..... just the sea view from your room is to die for!! As soon as we landed in Aruba we felt relaxed, we checked into our hotel on the bus en route! We got our wrist bands and room keys and towel keys along with a map of the resort and a handy bag with lots of info in it, It was my second trip to this hotel and I had emailed in advance to request a specific area of the hotel which was between the beach bunker bar and the main hotel and we got exactly where I requested. On arriving at the hotel we just headed straight out for a walk, they sort out getting your cases to your room, after we had wandered around and had a couple of drinks and snacks we headed to our room and our cases were there waiting for us. Totally stress free!! Rooms are clean and perfectly acceptable size, our fridge didn't seem to work well but to be honest we didn't bother with it anyway.The air conditioning worked very well, like walking into a fridge!!! We spent most of our days on the beach right outside our room, we did get up reasonable early to get the towels out to get a specific space, I saw people doing this at half 6 in the morning but there were always plenty of space along the beach, we just wanted to be near our room. The gym is great if you like that sort of thing, never really busy and quite modern compared to some gyms I've been to when on holiday in the past. Loved the bunker bar for having an afternoon cocktail whilst watching the awesome sunsets. Staff are friendly and helpful. Restaurants all good, buffet is one of the nicest I have experienced, it doesnt seem very big but there is plenty of choice. Our fave restaurant was the red parrot, although the Italian came a close second! Our least fave was the Palm Grill, we only ate their once and thought it was novel idea to grill your own food at the table but a little over rated to be honest! We went up to the high rise area for the bars which was ok but nothing special, there is an indian/tandoori restaurant there tho that i highly recommend. Went into the capital a couple of times for shopping and try a few bars. Great, love the buildings and arcitecture! We ate at Iguana Joes one night and we had lunch in a bar called local store which was across the road from Iguana Joes, their sandwiches were yummy an they had good deals on balashi beer! We only did one trip and cannot complain, our guide Burt was great and told us a lot about his country and we felt like we had a good trip, no lunch included as it was a bit of hop on hop off a bus half day tour and no snacks we were fairly starving by the time we got back which was around 2.30pm so take snacks if you do the half day tour! Overall we had a fab time, and we will definately go back to this hotel at some point in the future :)

Room Tip: We stayed in 1615 which was a central location between the bunker bar and the main hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Tamarijn for 5 days last week, from September 30th-October 4th, it was our first time in Aruba and certainly won't be our last, we actually talked about moving there on our way back! Before our arrival I emailed in a request for dinner at the Red Parrot since that night was my cousin and her husband's 2nd wedding anniversary, which they were very nice and accommodating in making an advance reservation for our group of 6, thank you Lisa! We arrived to the hotel around 12:30pm, before check in time, so they gave us our bracelets and held our bags while we went to eat lunch at the buffet, the food was good, there is different variety so you will always find something to eat. After lunch, we went to the restroom and changed into our bathing suits to enjoy the beautiful beach while waiting for our rooms. We got our room around 2:30pm so the shuttle cart took us and our bags over to them, our rooms were at the end of the resort, in the 2400 building, it was about a 5-10 min walk to the lobby area, I had no complaints since I am used to walking, plus you burn a calorie or two after all the food and drinks. The rooms are a bit small, I would say 3 ppl max, but who spends time in their room anyways when you have the gorgeous blue clear water beach right in front of you! I had a second floor room and the view was awesome, especially at sunset, but I think next time I will request a first floor room, open your sliding doors and walk straight to the beach! If you have a first floor room make sure you lock the doors and use the bar at the bottom, security does knock if it is not locked. I always felt safe here, my room(2406) actually had a door that connects to the next room and for some odd reason it did not have a lock at all, this would be the only minor complaint I had, I did ask them if they can maybe add a lock one night at the reception desk, it was pretty late at night and they told me to come in the morning and they would send someone, I never did because I was either on an early morning excursion tour or at the beach, but luckily my neighbors were friendly, if you don't feel secure about this then let them know at the reception, they would gladly send someone. We made reservations at all the restaurants and our favorites were the Paparazzi Italian and the Ginger, Palm Grill was also good and it was fun to cook your own food. The night we went to Paparazzi was my birthday and I was surprised with a cake, my cousin had called the day of and even tho they ask that you give them at least a day's notice they were kind enough to make it happen. We did 2 tours, an ATV tour, which was awesome! Definitely not for the faint of heart, more for the adventurous types and we did the DePalm Island tour which was very nice and relaxing(I will write reviews for both tours in their respective profiles, Kini Kini Tours and DePalm Tours) We also went to the downtown area for shopping one day, took the bus, roundtrip was $4.60 per person and completely safe. As for some of the reviews that said that some of the hotel workers seem unhappy, they are just working and doing their job, if you pass them and say hello or good morning they will smile back and reply, the only rude people I encountered was another hotel guest the day I got there, but I brushed her off because I was in Aruba, never understand why people complain or are unhappy when they are on vacation, but to each their own I guess, other than that guest everyone else was nice. All in all we had an amazing time in Aruba and are already planning to stay at the Tamarijn again next year with more family!

Room Tip: If possible I'd say try to get a room in buildings 17-19 as they are in between, not too close t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Definitely not a 4 star hotel. Rooms were ok but very loud music from the bars and very rude bar staff. Unpleasant smells from the bars as well. Mediocre food in the buffet restaurant. Chairs covered in bird crap and untidy dishes, glasses etc left over in the buffet restaurant and the pool areas.

Room Tip: If you cannot get a room facing the beach (which is a public beach) try the Divi!
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

This August was our second visit to the Tamarijn. We had another great visit the second time around. The water is crystal clear and the sand is like powder. You can't help but relax here.

The Tam is a laid back resort. The rooms do leave something to be desired, but other than sleeping or showering, we didn't spend much time in our room. The food was fine and everyone in our family found something to eat. We did leave the resort a few times for meals because we wanted to explore the island.

I understand the negative reviews and the positive reviews, but the positives outweigh any of the negatives. If you are looking for a beautiful beach and plentiful drinks and food, then the Tamarijn will fit the bill.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Room was as expected, nothing to write home about. The room was perfect for our needs of sleeping and whatnot. Air Conditioning was very cold and the bed was comfortable. Make sure and spend the 2$ a day for the safe. We stayed in room 2105, which is one of the 'newly renovated' rooms. This is fine, but the shower, as others have mentioned, is open air, with a half pane of glass acting as a boundary. This makes for very cold showers, regardless of how hot you have the water. You are also left with a soaking wet bathroom floor after every use. But as others have said they give you plenty of towels each day. We found this room to be the perfect distance away from the noise of the pool area and close enough to the bunker bar for drinks. If you are light sleepers like we are, take some ear plugs as the sound from the AC unit alone is not enough to drown out background noise.

Beach was great, not crowded at all. Everyone seemed to mind their own business, made little noise, and just relaxed. This is NOT a party beach, not a lot going on, which was perfect for us trying to just unwind. If you plan to get one of the huts for some shade, you better wake up early (6-7AM) and set out your chairs with your towels. We never had anyone mess with our chairs or towels, but we did see a lady near us steal someone’s, and act like a jerk when the original people showed up asking her to relocate. The beach was not dirty by any means, but it was dirtier than I had anticipated. By dirty I mean straws from the drinks served flying out of the cups on the walk back from the bar, and the occasional cigarette butt. Granted, it's probably hard to keep something like a beach in perfect order when so many people come and go every day.

The buffet worked great for us; we could come and go as we pleased. We ate breakfast and lunch there every day. The wait staff was great. Breakfast was my favorite buffet and there many options to choose from. We never ate the buffet for dinner. We ate at the Red Parrot and Paparazzi, Red Parrot was vastly superior. There was nothing bad about Paparazzi; it just wasn't 'great' like the Red Parrot was.

The only issue we had was with the Maintenance staff, or lack thereof to be exact. We experienced three separate 'Maintenance' headaches.

When we arrived, our door key to our room worked fine. We left the room to get some food and a drink before bed, since we arrived pretty late, around 11PM. Our door key did not work when we came back to the room. We walked to the front desk, and they quickly gave us a new set of keys. We walked back to our room, and these again did not work. We walked back again to the front desk, and they had Security come and use a Master Key to get in the room, and they told us that the Maintenance guys would be by in the morning to fix the key lock, and to come by the desk in the morning for the new keys. We went back to the front desk the next morning, and I asked if the door had been fixed. They seemed to have no idea what I was talking about, and just gave me new keys again, as they did the night before. The kicker here is, this new person told me to wait 10 minutes before trying them since it took that long to be activated! Had the person the night before told us that, the other keys probably would have worked fine, since we didn't wait that long before.

Next, our Alarm clock in the room did not function. The clock itself did work, but the actual alarm part never worked. This was only a concern since on our departing day we needed to wake up at 4am. I asked the front desk for a new one on day two, they told me that they would send the Maintenance staff to replace it. That never happened, so I asked again at the front desk the next morning, they said Housekeeping would replace it when they were cleaning our rooms that day, this again never happened.

On day 3, we got in from the beach around 5PM and started getting ready to go to dinner. While taking a shower, the water began to not drain at all. We didn't even notice it at first, and it began to pool and almost run over the small tile boundary marking the entrance to the shower. I called the front desk and informed them of this, and they said that they would send the Maintenance staff out. I mentioned that I also had asked for a new alarm clock twice now and it had never been brought, they told me that they would take care of both the drainage issue and the alarm clock right away. We sat and waited, and waited, and of course, no one showed up. Finally the shower began to VERY slowly drain and we were able to finally finish getting ready. This drainage issue continued the remainder of our stay, we never heard anything from their Maintenance staff, and we NEVER got a new alarm clock.

Some complain about the walk to get to and from places, I never found this to be an issue due to enjoying having the walks. There are golf carts that we saw always giving other people a ride that did not want to walk. The staff as others have said was not always the friendliest. They weren't overly rude and did get the job done. The check in process wasn't as nice as I had expected. After 16 hours of travel we arrived to nobody at the welcome desk. We waited 10 minutes for someone to come out and check us in and then another 10 minutes for the person to come and show us to our room. It wasn't terrible but wasn't what I had expected after reading other reviews about being welcomed with a cold bottle of water and a towel.

It was very windy the last two days we were there so make sure you take your sunglasses to keep the sand out of your eyes. Ocean was absolutely beautiful. There are some rocks and coral in the water so take water shoes if you feel the need to.

Room Tip: We were in 2105, had no issue with noise from the resort.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here 8/16-8/22 2013. The resort, which while one of the older ones, was wonderful. The beach fantastic, the food was great and the room we had we believe was the best on property. It was all the way at the end of the resort on the second floor (top floor), very little foot traffic, always had a palapa and the balcony gave great views. At night you had great seclusion even out on the balcony for those who like that, like us. The room itself is small, but we weren't in it much. Other than a hefty walk to the lobby area and bunker bar, we loved it. One call to the front desk sent a guy in a golf cart to get us within 5 mins.

The beach itself is amazing. The sand in the water did have some coral you had to be careful of walking into the water, but not a huge problem. Clear warm waters, great views and reasonable privacy were great. If you want to be in the thick of everything, get a room in the 2200-2300 block or lower, but be warned, you'll have NO privacy on your patio or balcony, but you'll be closer to the bars and restaurants.

We got bicycles to help cut back on all the walking and also used them to explore the shops and malls across the street. They're free, but you need to get to the shop EARLY when they open at 7am. They aren't the best bikes, but really came in handy.

The only negatives, if there are any true negatives are below. You decide for yourself if these are meaningful to you.

- No coffee maker in the room
- Long walk from our room location (trade off for great privacy)
- Room is bit on the small side
- The highway is right behind the hotel and there's traffic noise from some cars and motorcycles in the morning rush hour.
- Overall the staff wasn't overtly happy all the time. Certainly didn't give "One Happy Island" a good name. Not sure why, but other than a few of the staff, everyone was pretty much just job focused. It didn't destroy our vacation at all, but if you compare them to the staff at the resorts in Jamaica, Jamaica wins hands down
- Had to pay $2/day for an in-room safe
- Casino wasn't all that and you had to take a shuttle to get to it up on the Divi Aruba resort.

Positives:
- Beachfront
- Great views and sunsets over the right side of the beach
- Room A/C was awesome
- Great food in general. Red Parrot is the best. The Italian place is great and the buffet is pretty good. No one likes everything, but overall, no major complaints.
- The cook it yourself restaurant, in the buffet area is a neat concept, but's very hot to eat there as you cook your own food in the center of your table. A bit miserable temperature-wise, but food quality is good.
- Beautiful grounds
- Full privileges to Divi Aruba as well as your own resort

All in all, the resort was fantastic value for the money and we plan to return as long as we can get the same room we had before.

Room Tip: Lots of people and no privacy, but closer to restaurants and pools, go for rooms in the 2200-2300 bl...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New Haven, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel Sept 2013, the property was beautiful,they spend a lot of time maintaining the common areas and keeping them very nice. The staff was not very nice and not very helpful to a first time visitor to Aruba. The rooms, they are average,but the view is incredible. The shower water did not regulate at all, most times you were being scalded no matter what temperature you set the water at. The bathroom is very small, no shower curtain, only a half glass wall, so the floor gets very wet and slippery. Rooms need to be updated, but the atmosphere at the pool and the common areas of the hotel is enough to keep you coming back. The entertainment at night was also very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive? Share your experiences!