“All inclusive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive

Save Saved
You added Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive to your Saves list
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Blvd #41 | Druif Beach, Oranjestad, Aruba   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Oranjestad
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“All inclusive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I found our stay at the Tamarijn,wonderfull except from two things :1 they dont fill the fridge with any thing, and number :2 they start cleaning down the tables in the Coco grill before every one has finished eating,The smell is Horrable and really puts you off your food. But I will happily return to Aruba and the Tamarijn.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2513 right next to the end and found it to be verry quite, a bit far from every thing b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
Madison
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I completely agree with the review below!! My husband and I just got back from 6 days at the Tamarijn and we were disappointed for the money we spent for an all inclusive. I'll start with the good...like everyone has said the beach is beautiful and large! Think long walks and no one on top of you laying out. This is unheard of in the high rise area. We had a ground floor king size room and we liked the convenience of being able to walk right out to the beach each day. They had a few good bands play at the Divi and Tamarijn so I thought the entertainment was actually better than I expected. We much prefer the pool and outside space at the Divi, it is nicer. Now for the bad. The food was really bad and we are a young couple who eats Mac and cheese for dinner from time to time, so for us to complain...it's bad. I am shocked that there are not more negative reviews on the food/drinks. The breakfast buffet was awful and made us sick twice. We stopped eating breakfast at the resort the 3rd day and instead walked to a dunkin donuts for food and coffee. The lunch buffet was also bad (same exact food at Divi, we tried there also). The last straw for me was when we saw 2 cockroaches run across the floor at lunch one day. We lost our appetite quickly. The only decent restaurant was Red Parrot (we never tried Ginger to be fair). The drinks were also so-so and we HATED that everything was served in mini reusable plastic cups. You had to go back for a refill often and if you are in the 2000 plus room block its a walk. I also didn't like that there was never any water. They sometimes have jugs out but other than that they will tell you to pour from your sink. I understand the water is safe and clean but when your in the hot sun, you want cold water. We ended up having to buy water bottles. All inclusive? Wifi (which is extra) did not work in our room even though I was told it would. The safe is a joke and does not fit a laptop, plus you pay extra. The shower leaked everywhere as others have said. It was like a comedy act every time one of us showered. The rooms are average which was fine because this is not a 5 star resort but I felt they could have been cleaner. The service was spotty and also disappointing. We had to wait for drinks at the bar often when there weren't that many people. Our room smelled like sewage for about 24hr and when I tried to get help and change rooms I was told numerous times someone would call me back and they never did. When I finally spoke to someone I was first told they would move us and then later told they gave the only other room away and the person I spoke to had left for the day. The only exceptions were Edric at Red Parrot and Clara at the concierge! They went above and beyond and should be recognized. We will not return and would not recommend unfortunately.

Room Tip: If you don't mind loud DJ music and little privacy then 1100-1300 or 1400-1500 are close to meal...
North West, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

stayed for 2 weeks at the start of October, weather was superb (apart from the last day when Hurricane Sandy was nearby) - would go back tomorrow if I could!

When booking also look at the Divi hotel - this is the sister hotel up the beach, more expensive rooms but you can access the pools, restaurants and entertainment here. It's a short walk up the beach or you can walk on the road or get a golf buggy from outside reception.

ROOMS:
We were allocated a top floor beach front room, amazing view. Couldn't believe it when we stepped out on the balcony. The stretch of beach is beautiful - pristine which sand, turquoise sea, sunsets to die for and a very relaxed atmosphere.

Room was clean, bed was comfy, bathroom spacious and clean. The safe (chargeable) was in an awkward place - under the bathroom sink - no good if you struggle with bending down. It was also a key locking safe rather than digital which was additional awkwardness!

The other weird thing was that our room had a door to the next room - which wasn't locked!! Clearly the hotel need to make some improvements to secure rooms that have this feature. Shower gel and shampoo provided using the island's famous aloe vera. Very good for your skin, although it is very expensive to buy in the shops.

Rooms were a bit noisy - could hear the neighboring Divi hotel's (awful) DJ until the early hours. Not sure why it was so loud as none of the residents seem to be interested. We could also hear the people next door crystal clear because of the adjoining door. On the last day it rained hard due to the nearby hurricane and the rain was coming in under the door - not sure why the door wasn't fitted properly to floor length! Air con in the room too so you'd think this would make more sense to have it sealed properly.

FOOD/DRINK:

Food was lovely, never stuck for choice in the buffet or restaurants. It was really nice here because unlike some all inclusives which limit your access to the a la cartes, the Tam allowed bookings up to 3 nights in advance with no limits. We ended up eating our main evening meals more often than not in the a la cartes. The oriental was nicest, followed by the Italian. Didn't think much of the Caribbean at the Divi - everything was caked in salt. Palm grill was nice food but limited tables and you ended up sharing if you were a couple - fun to meet new people but not like you can have a private meal. Staff in the a la cartes were great, staff in the buffet restaurant were generally good. Sometimes slow to bring drinks though. There's also a poolside snack bar with a self serve ice cream machine which went down well after a day out in the heat!

The beer was nice - Aruba's own pilsner is certainly one of the better local beers I've had at a resort. The wine was fine too, nicer in the restaurants as you had a bit more choice. Champagne was also included. The oriental also make a cake for me as it was my birthday on our last night - lovely but on my word they like their cream cakes!!! Could only manage a quarter between me and my husband!! It was a lovely gesture that they did this though and all for free. Just ask at reception and let them know what you are celebrating. Cocktails were strong, all the good names available on the all inc which was nice. Anything you want, just ask and they'll make it for you. Good sized measures on all drinks - not teaspoon sized portions you tend to get with some all incs.

BEACH;
Gorgeous - the ONLY slight critique is that is was extremely hot when we were there and the palapas were limited. If like me you are fair skinned and need a bit of shade, get there early to make sure you get one - otherwise you're looking at going quite far back from the sea, right next to the road where there are a few more palapas and sunbeds. There were plenty of beds to space out on the beach though if you are lucky enough to be able to stay out in it all day!

The sea is beautiful - soft sand, very few rocks (meaning sadly not much marine life) but this made for a fantastic swimming beach. At other beaches there are coral reefs and more marine life, so explore a bit if you like this. Take your own snorkel and mask as hire/purchase can be expensive. Beach towels are provided by the hotel.

There are a few pools dotted around the resort as there are a lot of rooms set back off the beach. We didn't go in any, but it made for a nice little walk after dinner. Plenty of quiet areas to get away from the main pool activities and have a break from the beach if you've had enough of sand! Unbelievably in the 2 weeks there, we never even made it to the beach bar! Mainly as we were doing a lot of things outside of the hotel. It was a good vantage point for looking over the sea though. There's also a top level above the main pool bar which was nice in the late afternoon watching the sun going down.

Other stuff....

We hired the bicycles a couple of times - that was an experience! Make sure you get one without a rusty chain and get to grips with the peddling backwards to stop! (No gears!) At the time we were staying, they were painting new cycle lanes around the island. These were observed by the traffic which made it safe to go out on the bikes. We went all the way up to the high rises - great few hours, really got to see some nice beaches and places to stop off.

We also hired a car with Hertz who have a desk at the Tam. This too was a great experience - did the island in 2 full days. A normal car will do for the majority of places but if you go into the national park, only some places can be reached by 4x4. I think we paid around $130 (booked in advance) for a small hatchback which did us just fine. Tip: Take a cool bag with you and fill it at the ice machine at the resort - this lasted the day in the boot of the car with our cans of sprite! Much needed after the heat!

Booked diving with unique sports aruba through the first choice rep (the hotel referred us to her, wouldn't give any other recommendations) and this was fine - see my other review! If you are thinking of going on a few excursions, you can do it all yourself with a hire car, it'll work out cheaper, you get more time there and have more fun - it's so safe to drive around and if you get lost (which you will, maps & road signs are poor at best!) you can eventually find somewhere you recognize! Loads of nice restaurants and bars outside the resort too.

Flights stopped from Manchester last year and now only go from London.Would love to go back and one day we will, but because we did everything in the 2 weeks we were there, and the flights only run from London, it'll probably be somewhere we return in 10+ years. Hopefully the Tam will still be there and lovely as it is now!

We're in our late 20's and early 30's, but this hotel and island has got something to suit all ages.

Room Tip: Beach front will give you beautiful views - just don't stay too near to the sister hotel or the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hanover, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I hope to give some help for those looking to plan a stay at an all inclusive. This property is located on an awesome stretch of prestine white sand beach. That is about the only thing we found that was awesome other than the level of service that was provided for us under a stressfull situation involving my daughter's wedding. More on that later.
The rooms here while directly beach front are extremely small. With the King Bed, you have barely enough room to walk past the bed to the dresser, the bathroom is extremely tiny and could use some upgrades. The shower situation is really awkward, the shower is very small with a single glass pain wall, as you turn on the shower their is nothing to keep the water from completely flooding the entire floor of the bathroom, it is very annoying.
The pool at the Tamarijn is quite small and all the seats are all reserved early in the morning. They have limited palapas for beach use and these are also available for the condo time share owners behind the A/I property so these are also filled early so good luck finding any shade which is important giving the strength of the sun.
Lunch options are limited, pizza or sandwiches from the grill at the pool or the lunch buffet. The pizza was quite good and the sanwiches looked decent, my wife and daughter tried the sanwiches and liked them. The lunch buffet was disappointing, burgers, hot dogs, make your own sanwiches. All the bread was stale as the burgers and dogs were made in advance to keep people moving but this really ruined any bread product that was available.
Our first night we made dinner reservations at Papparazzi, an onsite included restuarant. I started with what they called a lobster bisque and it was quite bad, it was a cream of tomato soup that I think they waved a lobster over the top of the pot while cooking. My Cotoleta di Maiale Saltimbocca main course was good but over salted.
We spent our entire next day offsite for my daughters wedding at the city hall and then at the Renaissance Hotel's island venue. This was where the service part came in. My daughter and now son inlaw had to be married at the city hall and then back to the Tam to get ready for the wedding ceremony that was to be held on Renaissance's private island.
My wife had extreme issues helping get my daughters hair just right! We needed to be at the lobby of the Renaissance at 5:30. I went to the lobby of the Tamarijn to get a cab and wait for my daughter and wife. When it got to be 5:00 my instinct told me they needed help.
I asked the bell captain if he could send a shuttle cart to pick them up at her room (it was approx a 9 minute walk to the lobby. The bell captain stopped what he was doing when I explained and he took off on the cart himself, he waited outside their room and brought her back and then he himself hailed us the needed cab, we made it by 5 minutes thanks to this very dedicated employee, I only wish I would have thought to get his name, he was awesome.
The breakfast buffet was decent with an omelet station and bread and cereal choices. I have no idea what they made the scrambled eggs from but they were hoorible. The bacon was in a large covered bowl and was nothing short of a mangled mess. They had to have taken about 15 pounds of bacon and dumped into a deep fryer all at once, then pulled it out in one large clump and dumped into the bowl, it was a chore just get any of it separated for eating.

My biggest complaint was that the Tamarijn calls themselves an all inclusive however:
no room service at all
no in room coffee (only coffee available was from a vending machine HORRIBLE
pay for internet (really ? welcome to the next century)
$2.00 extra per day for a tiny in room safe (would not hold a lap top)
internet cafe available ( $5.00 for ten minutes......wow)
golf available , 9 holes $87.00 so much for all inclusive
sign out for towels with a card, one per person
sign out floaties
their premier restuarant Windows over Aruba available at $35.00 per person extra
they should call Iberostar, Couples or Excellence properties for what ALL INCLUSIVE is supposed to mean
Overall, no where near the price for what you get. We have visited several A/I properties and this place just does not measure up. We would never return here

Room Tip: all rooms are beach front but some can be an incredibly long trek back to any of the ammenities
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Heredia, Heredia, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Great hotel for a short getaway, all-inclusive hotel with good quality food and drinks, excellent location and service. Pool area could be bigger and needs a little maintenance but with a beach front like the one they have it's a minor glitch.

West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I have been vacationing in Aruba for the last 8 years in February during the school vacation week. We started at the Radisson on Palm Beach which while lovely, had crowded beaches necessitating 5:30 am waits to reserve a palupa, views of the ocean were obtained by peering around the corner of the building while standing on the balcony and expensive breakfasts, lunches and dinners. We stumbled upon The Tamarijn All Inclusive, a Divi resort, pretty much by accident and have been returning faithfully for the last 6 years. I liken it to Motel 6 on the beach. The rooms are basic hotel rooms, king or queen beds, basic bathroom (small, no marble - but recently renovated and adequate {shower, no tub}), dresser with flat screen tv, small closet and seperate wardrobe with mini-refrigerator inside. But the beauty of the property is that all the rooms face the water. It is a sprawling, two-story property, one of the oldest of the "low rise" hotels not far from Orangestad. It is adequately maintained and has had periodic up grades (i.e. bathrooms). Our preference is for a first floor room which has a slider opening onto a small patio, with 2 chairs and a table, followed by a strip of lawn, a boardwalk, and then the beach with palupas placed in the sand along the length of the boardwalk. We also prefer a room in the 2500-2400 buildings, yes a bit of a walk to the restaurants, reception area - but significantly quieter than other areas. They do provide a shuttle service door to door if you find the walk too difficult. Second floor rooms are accessed by stairs only, no elevators and have balconies over looking the beach and water.
It is all inclusive and the breakfast and lunch buffets are quiet extensive. Eggs and omelettes are made to order, selections of hot breakfast meats, cold cuts, cheeses, yogurts, fruits, breads, rolls, bagels and muffins are available. Lunch always has a selection of hot meals, made to order pasta dishes, hot dogs, burgers, salads, sandwiches and desserts. There is a sandwich and pizza bar that you can walk up to and get take out or sit and enjoy with an adult beverage if you desire. The dinner buffet is also quite extensive and does not require reservations. There is an Italian and Asian restaurant that have set hours and days of operation and require reservations. There are also exchange previleges with the Red Parrot at the Divi Divi property as well as the upgrade ($35 US/per person) at Windows on Aruba at the Divi Golf Resort across the street. Both are worth doing. Free shuttle service from Tamarijn to the Divi Divi and Golf Resort as well as the Alhambra Casino is available from the reception area. All reservations for dinner on or off the Divi properties and activities can be handled by the very pleasant staff at the Guest Services desk. As for adult beverages, there are a couple of bars that are available and do an ok job especially if you enjoy a limited selection of beer or wine or enjoy "fruity umbrella" drinks. They have an extremely limited selection of topshelf liquors. On a entertainment note, they have some form of program at night after dinner such as dance bands, singer, or even a "Circ du Soliel" type performance all included as part of your stay.
The pool is located near the restaurants and reception area and is well attended. Activities to keep the kids occupied occur in this area. There is a computer room with a number of units available, just purchase minutes at the front desk and sign on.
For the athletic, there is a climbing wall, tennis and exercise facility (I have no personal knowledge of these areas - scuba diving and beaching are my forte). Beach floats and bicycles are available at the towel hut/activities center.
I would say that the Tamarijn covers everything you could want in an Island vacation. Comfortable rooms, easy access to a remarkable beach, as much or little activity as you care to participate in, a friendly and supportive staff in a secure and pleasant atmosphere.

Room Tip: Buildings 24 and 25 are the farthest from all the activities, restaurants, reception area but have t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
mcpam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The Tam was once again, the perfect choice for our vacation. It was our third trip to this older hotel, but it has all we need: beachfront rooms, good food, and friendly staff. We had only one glitch: the front desk had no documentation that we had made room requests, even though we brought the emails with us. They did rearrange and get all 4 couples together, but it was not a good start to an otherwise perfect week.
We ate at every restaurant between the Divi and the Tam, and twice at the Red Parrot, by far our favorite. The trip desk helped arrange a dive trip, a catamaran trip, and a DePalm Island trip. Could have skipped the DePalm Island trip.
This is NOT a high-rise fancy resort. It is clean and well-kept. We'll be back!

Room Tip: We like to be beyond the bunker bar in buildings 19, 21, or 22. A distance from the noise and activi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive? Share your experiences!