“Open the Door and Walk on the Beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive

You added Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive to your Saves list
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Blvd #41 | Druif Beach, Oranjestad, Aruba   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Oranjestad
Toronto
“Open the Door and Walk on the Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just got back from the "Tam" in Aruba, and l must admit it was a wonderful, relaxing time due to the hotel configuration. With all rooms facing the ocean, and great sandy beaches just outside your door, it truly is much different than most other hotels in Aruba. The large highrise hotels (which we visited most of them) are situated near a loud and busy "south beach" style strip.
They have fancy pools, smaller tighter beaches with compressed sand but lots of marble, casinos, elevators and restaurants if that's what your are looking for. The Tam is connected to the Divi by about a 10 min walk on the beach or a 3 min ride on the golf-cart shuttles running back and forth between them and also goes to one of the biggest casinos as well. Laid back kind of resort spread out over a mile of beach it, offers nothing fancy but the fab soft white beach and a nice walk-out room to it. Blue water and a great sunset are the calling cards. If you are lucky enough or get up early enough to get a palapa then you are set since there are not enough palm trees to get cover from the hot sun. Without cover you will fry.
Food is good but breakfast is same every day. Lunch should be tried at both buffets thru-out the week since the Divi can have some special dishes as it is a little fancier and larger.
All the restaurants we went to were good, although the service from the waiters was poor. It's all-inclusive so just drink more and those issues will bother you less. The Asian was the best, l felt, but all offered an nice change of pace from the buffet. If they could just learn to greet people at the door or even a rare smile it would make a world of difference, until then ...cheers.
Not much action at the Tam or the Divi either during the day or at night. Their shows are the obligatory dancers in colorful costumes dancing in the middle of the buffet, or near the front desk...so just head to the casino by free shuttle and there is a lounge/bar and cafe' in the adjoining plaza. Unfortunatley, there is no commercial areas to walk to but Aruba is safer then spanish speaking islands so don't be afraid to rent vehicles and go check out all the spots it has to offer. We grabbed a jeep and cruised the whole thing. We found a nice restaurant and returned later to have dinner on the sand right by the waters edge...best sea bass l have ever had. Check out the Flying Fisherman or the Old man on the Sea (right beside them) for a great sunset dining experience. Took our Jeep to the Natural pool, which was the toughest off-roading experience you can imagine, so bring extra water and a cell if you break down. The beatings those Jeeps take (and you inside) give me a new respect for Chrysler. You can just take tours if you don't like to drive around and explore.
We had a ton of rain during our week, so don't believe what they say about Aruba only having an inch of rain a year.....we witnessed an inch a minute for hours with never more than a few hours of sun. But that was all you needed because when the sun was out you burned quick.
This is why its good to be on the ground floor with a palapa just in front...you can just pop back into your patio or room till it blows over. It isn't that easy when a thousand people are running back past all the pools to the elevators like at the high rise hotels. If you want some action, just grab a cab to Signor Frogs and check out the eateries/bars or walk around from there and check out the highrise area. When you are fed up with the noise just come back to the Tam or Divi and relax. Final advice....bring dollars for tipping. You don't win awards for being cheap but the staff serve you much better through the week when they see you with a tip. If you are going to blow thousands on a holiday, what's a few dollars? ...bring your own thermo-jug for your drinks as it keeps them cool and they are bigger than the cups...90 or 100 degree weather heats up you're drink in 10 mins and cooks your skin too so use 50 or 60 spf when the suns blasting....book your restaurants right away so you can try them all during your stay...rent a jeep , bring your trunks and check out the island....get up early and grab a palapa in front of your room by 6 am or bring an umbrella...book your beachfront restaurants for the sunset early (5:30-6pm) as seafront is busy at that time for sunset happy-hours....internet is $50 a week or $15 a day, so just go online with device and register on the Tam/DIvi wifi site, no need to talk to front desk.
Overall, island is clean, pretty and windy so just enjoy it with your shades on and the sand won't be a nuisance. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Up to the 1900 block it is less windy...after that (2000 +) the wind is everywhere and always consta...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I recently returned from my first visit to Aruba. I had a traveling companion also with me. We had separate rooms on the first floor of the 1300 block. The first floor rooms allow you to walk right out your patio doors and be on the beach. Also the 1300 rooms are right next to the food places a pool and beach bars and the lobby. We have problems walking long distances so we were very pleased with our given rooms. If I do return to Aruba, (which I certainly plan on doing) I would request a room on the second floor mainly for safety purposes. They definitely need to do something to upgrade their patio doors. They have no locks, only a piece of wood to put in at the bottom of the door. I also had a room with no patio light working which made it very dark if you went out in the evening. One morning at 2:30 am I stepped out to have a cigarette and was approached by a black man offering himself and money to give me a good time. Luckily, he went on after I told him I was not interested, but I believe that he may have been watching me through my doors for sometime. After he left, I called the front desk, their security went out to look for him and found him, but did not call the police to have him arrested, which I don't understand. They continued all week long, so they said, to try to get the patio light on, but it was still not working on the day we left. In fact, the whole 1300 first floor rooms lights were out after they tried to get mine to work. They said they were having some type of electrical problem. They did step up security after my encounter at 2:30 a.m. I had a room with two double beds, a chest of drawers, a wardrobe, a small table and two chairs and a night stand, and probably a 32 to 36 in glat screen TV. It was very small and tight with all the furniture. It would have been way too small for two people, but then again, you don't spend a lot of time in your room. The bathroom was also very small and there was not a complete shower door, so when you took a shower, you had to throw down 1 to 3 towels to keep the water from running all over the place. I thought I had read that one of the amenities of the room was a coffee pot and coffee, but I did not have them in my room. The room was clean and cleaned everyday. I did see a mold spot on the ceiling in my bathroom. Being able to walk right out of your patio and be on the beach was priceless. There were palapas outside each room, but if you didn't get up early (6 or 7) someone would come put there towels on them and have them for the day. Then they were right in front of your patio all day long. I had to get up early to put our towels on the two chairs by the palapa in front of my room. Some reveiwers said that it was noisy if you were in the rooms close to the lobby, pool, bars and restaurants. I did not find this to be a problem. Once my doors were closed, I heard nothing of what was going on outside. I actually found both resorts to be pretty quiet day or night. Not a lot of activities going on. If you ate a late dinner and then went back to your resort you could either go to the beach bar that was open till 1 am or go back to your room and go to bed. Pretty quiet resorts. The beach in front of the resorts is public, and they do not serve you drinks on the beach, you have to go back up to the bar to get your own drink. The water is very dangerous. It had a strong current and under current. I stayed out of the ocean after I was knocked over by the water. The pool water was always pretty cool because of the rainfall everynight. I cooled off by a shower by my room. There were not too many times when there were people in the pools. They were working on the tiling around the pool and would sometimes forget to recover the filter holes. The last day of our stay I ended up falling in one and had my foot stuck in it until I could wrestle my shoe off. My leg was down into the hole up to my knee. It was a struggle getting through the airport and home after that because both of my legs were pretty swollen. We asked for assistance, which we received, and were wheeled right past everyone in line, right through customs and directly to our gates. The food at the resorts was excellent. We went to the Red Parrot at the Divi and went to an Asian place at Tamarijn, both were wonderful! The buffet food was also awesome for breakfast and lunch and dinner. The check-in and check-out was simple and very quick. Our vacation was very restful and relaxing and laid back, which is exactly what we wanted. I would recommend either resort to anyone looking to travel to Aruba! The Divi seemed a little more upscale but I don't think all of their rooms are ocean front. It also seemd a little more for adults than for families. I will return and suggest it to my family and friends.

Room Tip: All I know is that the 1300 block of rooms is close to everything and if you want to go to the Divi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My son, DIL and myself spent 7 days (Dec. 3 - 10, 2013) at the Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive. We traditionally take the first week of December as a "family" vacation to an AI resort to celebrate my son's BD and as a break between Thanksgiving and the Christmas rush. In the past, we have taken several cruses, spent a week in Mexico at Grand Palladium Royal Suites, Dreams in Punta Cana. Son and DIL wanted to return to Aruba where they had spent their honeymoon 5 years previously. I was a little dubious about this resort - though they had loved it.

I booked this holiday thru Apple Vacations and as usual, everything ran like clockwork.

I was concerned upon arriving at th Tam as the reception area wasn't grand and imposing like the other resorts we had visited. I was even more concerned when we were checked into the room. While this resort is right smack dab on the beach, we opted for a second floor room rather than the more popular ground floor rooms. This was one of the smallest rooms I've experienced at any AI resort. There was no exhaust in the bathroom - and no door on the shower - was impossible to take a shower and keep the water in the shower stall. To exhaust the air in the bathroom, there was a small window that could be opened - but doing so just about sucked out all of the cool air in the room.

The weather the entire week could Not have been better: hot and humid - and sunny beyond belief! Rained a couple of nights - never during the day.

The view from our second floor veranda was absolutely beautiful! The only problem with the veranda was that there wasn't a partition separating the veranda from those on either side of us.....so, if someone was smoking on any of the verandas in our string of units - we all "smoked along side the smoker". The verandas faced west so there was always a spectacular view of the amazing sunsets.

The beach was right down the stairs from us. The sand was beautiful, the water spectacular shades of blue and green. As the cruise ships went by, they were so close we felt we could almost reach out and touch them! The beach is very clean.

Food: Breakfast was served in the buffet - a semi-open air facility right on the beach with breath-taking views. This area is not air conditioned and could be very warm if there wasn't a breeze blowing from the Caribbean. The food options were not quite as plentiful as other resorts I've visited - but overall it was adequate - but repetitious after awhile. There was an omelet station and pretty good pancakes. The juices were not so good. The cheese selection was good. The worst part was the bacon - it was served in a huge chaffing dish - and it didn't appear that it had come close to being fried - limp and greasy.

Reservations can be made at the ala cartes a the "gathering area" near reception. We dined twice at the Red Parrot and it was absolutely great food (we had fish and steak). The Red Parrot is located at the Divi down the beach from the Tam - there are golf carts to transport guests between the resorts. We dined once at the Palm Grill - located in the Tam's buffet area. Guests sat at tables that had heating elements located beneath the center second of the table. A try a sauces was presented along with raw shrip, beef and chicken, a huge bowl of vegetables is dumped on to the heated center surface and each guest is presented with a spatchla. As the veggies are finised, guests proceed to cook their own entrees. Rice and FF's are also served. This was a fun evening - though it was soooo hot until the sun set and and there was a cooling breeze thru the area. We dined twice at the Italian restaurant, Papparazzi (sorry - poor spelling!) This restaurant was absolutely beautiful - - and was air conditioned - so we really were able to enjoy the meals. The wine flowed at all three of these restaurants and we would highly recommend planning to make reservations for you visit to the Tam.

The swimming pool was small compared to other resorts - but very, very adequate. There was a bar at each end of the pool. One of the bars served food in an open air area a few steps from the beach. This was Pizza per Tutti. Served lots of pretty good food/snacks and some really good drinks. The other bar was a great place to hand out in the evening with tables just above the boardwalk - very, very relaxing.

The Bunker bar was a nice place right on the beach with seating overlooking the Caribbean.

This resort provides bicycles for the guests' use (no charge). Son and DIL joined a group from the resort on a long bike ride with a host/guide and a chase vehicle with water, etc. They are bike riders but were really tuckered out when they finally returned to the Tam. They also used the bikes one day to ride into Oranjestad to shop.

There were vendors who set up tables in the central area at Tam several evenings - as well as at the Divi down the beach - so it was fun to shop after dinner. The items they were selling differed from what I had experienced in Mexico and the DR - the vendors were NOT aggressive in any way.

We rented a Jeep one day and covered the island - saw the wild goats and borrows - beautiful church in the middle of no where - the natural bridges, etc. We advised NOT to drive the Jeep to the Natural Pool as we'd be responsible for any damage to the vehicle - guess it was a pretty nasty drive to get to the Natural Pool - I can only say that I do not believe that the path to the Pool could have been much worse than some of the off roading we did!

Before dropping off the Jeep - we spent several hours at the open air shops near the High Rise area. That was some pretty good shopping and some interesting shops and restaurants.

My suggestions as to rooms: If you want to be directly ON the beach, request a unit on the lower level of the resort. If you want a room with a view - request a room on the second floor (it doesn't take that long to get down the stairs and onto the beach - and the view is mostly unobstructed).

The water from the tap is drinkable which is a big plus. The Tam/Divi is a walkable (or bike rideable)distance from Oranjestad and, while I didn't visit it, I've heard that there is a grocery close by the Tam.

One evening after dinner at the Divi, we were taken to the Alhambra Casino by golf cart (the resort runs them up and down the strip to several of their resorts in the area) and gambled a little - very little. There is some shopping at the Alhambra.

If I go again, I'd absolutely stay at the Tam - no question! Not much time was spent in the room and breakfast is breakfast. The location is absolute the best. The food in the ala cartes was the best I've experienced at any AI. You have access to some of the facilities at the Divi down the beach and the location close to town is absolutely perfect. This resort is in the "Low Rise" area. Not too far from the airport. This is a great family resort - though we did not notice many children. Prices are high - I believe this is a wealthy country.....a perfect paradise. We will be back.

Room Tip: For immediate beach access: first floor - beach front (all are beach front!) For lovely views: se...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Leominster, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I had just announced another upcomming trip to this wonderful resort on FB, and was chatting back and forth with Annamiek wouters-van Dam (who happens to work the desk at the resort), when another friend posed a couple of questions to me. (I recommended this resort to her and she and her fiance will be honeymooning there soon).

Annemiek didn't skip a beat, and offered to assist my friend in any way possible even though she will be on vacation during their stay.

Needless to say, my friend is very impressed and she doesn't even arrive for 3 months!!!

Just another example of the extraordinary service you will receive at this wonderful resort, which explains why my husband and I never even consider staying anywhere else!!

The Tamarijn is so fortunate to have this remarkable woman in their employ!! She certainly goes above and beyond the normal everyday demands of her position to ensure that you have the best experience possible!! And what's even more incredible is that you will find this same level of service of the entire staff at the Tamarijn!

Love, love. love this resort!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Llanelli, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed here in July/August 2012 and what can I say it's amazing! We booked it as a holiday/wedding/honeymoon and boy it didn't disappoint! The place itself it beautiful the white sand and turquoise blue sea is everything u expect of the Caribbean. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful, the food was fantastic our favourite restaurants were the paparazzi and red parrot! The rooms are clean and comfortable and has the perfect view of the Caribbean Sea from your bed!
Our wedding was everything I hoped it would be it was just perfect and the wedding planners accommodated my every wish from the decor to the steel pan player at the ceremony!
I look forward to going back here in the future!

• Stayed July 2012
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We arrived, were efficiently checked in and I could see the sea right there! We made our way to the view in front of us and found ourselves at the bar - situated right on the beach front, I was blown away from that moment on. The beach and sea were amazing, the bar tender was friendly and polite and gave us our first of many rum and cokes, once I had finished dancing about in excitement we made our way to our room - we were a little apprehensive about this having read reviews of small shabby rooms, when we found our room (our choice to find it ourselves having taken the bar option initially) I could not have been more over the moon! the room was bright, colourful, cosy and the view from our balcony - WOW, I cannot begin to explain how happy I was! after a quick shower and unpack we made our way back along the board walk; a lovely stroll via the quirky bunker bar we went to the main restaurant area to see if we could find a table anywhere - tables in the a la carte restaurants were advised should be booked in advance, however we enquired in Ginger whom had free tables and were only too happy for us to come in, we had no problem in booking all our desired restaurants throughout the stay and I must say each and every booking we were very pleased with, I am vegetarian although my partner is not and I personally found each restaurant very accommodating and willing to help with any requests where possible, the Palm Grill was a little different - a kind of DIY BBQ - tables are shared which - don't get me wrong, we are friendly people but we kind of like to enjoy each others company alone for meals, and also this was a little awkward for me as the main courses were all meat (but I didn't want my partner to miss out on the experience and didn't realise the tables were shared at this point) and although the waiter was very good and asked that all the table wait for me to grill my vege's before they added their meats - the couple sat with us were very understanding and had no problem with this, but I did feel a little bad about hearing their stomachs grumbling while my carrots merrily slowly heated up! anyway, apart from that, a la carte restaurants were great, my partner got to try snails in Blue Parrot which turned my stomach a bit but he enjoyed! the buffet was very good and varied and the breakfast chef did his best to ensure he produced great stuff i.e. eggs benedict for my partner. The only downside of the buffet I would say was in the evenings when if you did happen to arrive a little later in the evening, the entertainment kind of took place in the restaurant which was a little weird! especially if you were seated near the walkway when people wanted to perch on your table whilst you were still slurping your soup! Anyway, it was also great to be able to walk up to the Divi and use the different facilities there, and continued from that further walk along the beach to the divi tree! amazing beach walk but do take water and a long sleeved light top if not accustomed to this kind of heat; I didn't and really burnt my fore arms - I did find the sun here really scorching and once i'd burnt my arms for a couple of days after it felt rays were burning into my skin!

One thing I would definitely recommend is pegs for your beach towels! it was very very windy! we are used to a bit of a breeze but this really was very strong, and in fact if you were to the left of the beach bunker bar it was quite painful! on the right of the bar was a lot more bearable although still quite breezy, the sea also had quite a strong current, ok for most but personally I wouldn't put a small child in it comfortably.

One of the other things I really enjoyed about Aruba was feeling safe to walk around the island, we have been to quite a few places around the Caribbean now where you cant really leave the resort, and being able to wander out to the shop, Oranjestad, take a bus to the high rise area and feel really safe were a bonus.

We always say we wont go back to the same place twice, but this is definitely where I would make an exception.

Service, cleanliness, location - everything was spot on, I LOVE ARUBA!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Wrentham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Christmas at the Tamarijn was fantastic. My kids had the best time of their lives. The hotel is really really family friendly. Pizza, ice cream, soda, whatever they want anytime they want. Lots to do too....biking, wind surfing, kayaking, snorkeling, pool games, ping pong, volleyball, etc. You would literally have to try to not have fun. The rooms have all been done over since my last visit, they're clean, we'll taken care of, and right on the beach. Make sure you take a shuttle to the divi links and use the pool with the swim up bar and waterside. The staff was fun and friendly at all the resorts. The food was actually a lot better than I remember. I really liked paprazzi's Italian restaurant and the buffet was rally good. All in all a great stay, can't wait to go back and do it again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive? Share your experiences!