“Beautiful Week spent in the Tam” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive

Save Saved
You added Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive to your Saves list
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Blvd #41 | Druif Beach, Oranjestad, Aruba   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Oranjestad
“Beautiful Week spent in the Tam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My son, DIL and myself spent 7 days (Dec. 3 - 10, 2013) at the Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive. We traditionally take the first week of December as a "family" vacation to an AI resort to celebrate my son's BD and as a break between Thanksgiving and the Christmas rush. In the past, we have taken several cruses, spent a week in Mexico at Grand Palladium Royal Suites, Dreams in Punta Cana. Son and DIL wanted to return to Aruba where they had spent their honeymoon 5 years previously. I was a little dubious about this resort - though they had loved it.

I booked this holiday thru Apple Vacations and as usual, everything ran like clockwork.

I was concerned upon arriving at th Tam as the reception area wasn't grand and imposing like the other resorts we had visited. I was even more concerned when we were checked into the room. While this resort is right smack dab on the beach, we opted for a second floor room rather than the more popular ground floor rooms. This was one of the smallest rooms I've experienced at any AI resort. There was no exhaust in the bathroom - and no door on the shower - was impossible to take a shower and keep the water in the shower stall. To exhaust the air in the bathroom, there was a small window that could be opened - but doing so just about sucked out all of the cool air in the room.

The weather the entire week could Not have been better: hot and humid - and sunny beyond belief! Rained a couple of nights - never during the day.

The view from our second floor veranda was absolutely beautiful! The only problem with the veranda was that there wasn't a partition separating the veranda from those on either side of us.....so, if someone was smoking on any of the verandas in our string of units - we all "smoked along side the smoker". The verandas faced west so there was always a spectacular view of the amazing sunsets.

The beach was right down the stairs from us. The sand was beautiful, the water spectacular shades of blue and green. As the cruise ships went by, they were so close we felt we could almost reach out and touch them! The beach is very clean.

Food: Breakfast was served in the buffet - a semi-open air facility right on the beach with breath-taking views. This area is not air conditioned and could be very warm if there wasn't a breeze blowing from the Caribbean. The food options were not quite as plentiful as other resorts I've visited - but overall it was adequate - but repetitious after awhile. There was an omelet station and pretty good pancakes. The juices were not so good. The cheese selection was good. The worst part was the bacon - it was served in a huge chaffing dish - and it didn't appear that it had come close to being fried - limp and greasy.

Reservations can be made at the ala cartes a the "gathering area" near reception. We dined twice at the Red Parrot and it was absolutely great food (we had fish and steak). The Red Parrot is located at the Divi down the beach from the Tam - there are golf carts to transport guests between the resorts. We dined once at the Palm Grill - located in the Tam's buffet area. Guests sat at tables that had heating elements located beneath the center second of the table. A try a sauces was presented along with raw shrip, beef and chicken, a huge bowl of vegetables is dumped on to the heated center surface and each guest is presented with a spatchla. As the veggies are finised, guests proceed to cook their own entrees. Rice and FF's are also served. This was a fun evening - though it was soooo hot until the sun set and and there was a cooling breeze thru the area. We dined twice at the Italian restaurant, Papparazzi (sorry - poor spelling!) This restaurant was absolutely beautiful - - and was air conditioned - so we really were able to enjoy the meals. The wine flowed at all three of these restaurants and we would highly recommend planning to make reservations for you visit to the Tam.

The swimming pool was small compared to other resorts - but very, very adequate. There was a bar at each end of the pool. One of the bars served food in an open air area a few steps from the beach. This was Pizza per Tutti. Served lots of pretty good food/snacks and some really good drinks. The other bar was a great place to hand out in the evening with tables just above the boardwalk - very, very relaxing.

The Bunker bar was a nice place right on the beach with seating overlooking the Caribbean.

This resort provides bicycles for the guests' use (no charge). Son and DIL joined a group from the resort on a long bike ride with a host/guide and a chase vehicle with water, etc. They are bike riders but were really tuckered out when they finally returned to the Tam. They also used the bikes one day to ride into Oranjestad to shop.

There were vendors who set up tables in the central area at Tam several evenings - as well as at the Divi down the beach - so it was fun to shop after dinner. The items they were selling differed from what I had experienced in Mexico and the DR - the vendors were NOT aggressive in any way.

We rented a Jeep one day and covered the island - saw the wild goats and borrows - beautiful church in the middle of no where - the natural bridges, etc. We advised NOT to drive the Jeep to the Natural Pool as we'd be responsible for any damage to the vehicle - guess it was a pretty nasty drive to get to the Natural Pool - I can only say that I do not believe that the path to the Pool could have been much worse than some of the off roading we did!

Before dropping off the Jeep - we spent several hours at the open air shops near the High Rise area. That was some pretty good shopping and some interesting shops and restaurants.

My suggestions as to rooms: If you want to be directly ON the beach, request a unit on the lower level of the resort. If you want a room with a view - request a room on the second floor (it doesn't take that long to get down the stairs and onto the beach - and the view is mostly unobstructed).

The water from the tap is drinkable which is a big plus. The Tam/Divi is a walkable (or bike rideable)distance from Oranjestad and, while I didn't visit it, I've heard that there is a grocery close by the Tam.

One evening after dinner at the Divi, we were taken to the Alhambra Casino by golf cart (the resort runs them up and down the strip to several of their resorts in the area) and gambled a little - very little. There is some shopping at the Alhambra.

If I go again, I'd absolutely stay at the Tam - no question! Not much time was spent in the room and breakfast is breakfast. The location is absolute the best. The food in the ala cartes was the best I've experienced at any AI. You have access to some of the facilities at the Divi down the beach and the location close to town is absolutely perfect. This resort is in the "Low Rise" area. Not too far from the airport. This is a great family resort - though we did not notice many children. Prices are high - I believe this is a wealthy country.....a perfect paradise. We will be back.

Room Tip: For immediate beach access: first floor - beach front (all are beach front!) For lovely views: se...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
Leominster, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I had just announced another upcomming trip to this wonderful resort on FB, and was chatting back and forth with Annamiek wouters-van Dam (who happens to work the desk at the resort), when another friend posed a couple of questions to me. (I recommended this resort to her and she and her fiance will be honeymooning there soon).

Annemiek didn't skip a beat, and offered to assist my friend in any way possible even though she will be on vacation during their stay.

Needless to say, my friend is very impressed and she doesn't even arrive for 3 months!!!

Just another example of the extraordinary service you will receive at this wonderful resort, which explains why my husband and I never even consider staying anywhere else!!

The Tamarijn is so fortunate to have this remarkable woman in their employ!! She certainly goes above and beyond the normal everyday demands of her position to ensure that you have the best experience possible!! And what's even more incredible is that you will find this same level of service of the entire staff at the Tamarijn!

Love, love. love this resort!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Llanelli, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed here in July/August 2012 and what can I say it's amazing! We booked it as a holiday/wedding/honeymoon and boy it didn't disappoint! The place itself it beautiful the white sand and turquoise blue sea is everything u expect of the Caribbean. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful, the food was fantastic our favourite restaurants were the paparazzi and red parrot! The rooms are clean and comfortable and has the perfect view of the Caribbean Sea from your bed!
Our wedding was everything I hoped it would be it was just perfect and the wedding planners accommodated my every wish from the decor to the steel pan player at the ceremony!
I look forward to going back here in the future!

• Stayed July 2012
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We arrived, were efficiently checked in and I could see the sea right there! We made our way to the view in front of us and found ourselves at the bar - situated right on the beach front, I was blown away from that moment on. The beach and sea were amazing, the bar tender was friendly and polite and gave us our first of many rum and cokes, once I had finished dancing about in excitement we made our way to our room - we were a little apprehensive about this having read reviews of small shabby rooms, when we found our room (our choice to find it ourselves having taken the bar option initially) I could not have been more over the moon! the room was bright, colourful, cosy and the view from our balcony - WOW, I cannot begin to explain how happy I was! after a quick shower and unpack we made our way back along the board walk; a lovely stroll via the quirky bunker bar we went to the main restaurant area to see if we could find a table anywhere - tables in the a la carte restaurants were advised should be booked in advance, however we enquired in Ginger whom had free tables and were only too happy for us to come in, we had no problem in booking all our desired restaurants throughout the stay and I must say each and every booking we were very pleased with, I am vegetarian although my partner is not and I personally found each restaurant very accommodating and willing to help with any requests where possible, the Palm Grill was a little different - a kind of DIY BBQ - tables are shared which - don't get me wrong, we are friendly people but we kind of like to enjoy each others company alone for meals, and also this was a little awkward for me as the main courses were all meat (but I didn't want my partner to miss out on the experience and didn't realise the tables were shared at this point) and although the waiter was very good and asked that all the table wait for me to grill my vege's before they added their meats - the couple sat with us were very understanding and had no problem with this, but I did feel a little bad about hearing their stomachs grumbling while my carrots merrily slowly heated up! anyway, apart from that, a la carte restaurants were great, my partner got to try snails in Blue Parrot which turned my stomach a bit but he enjoyed! the buffet was very good and varied and the breakfast chef did his best to ensure he produced great stuff i.e. eggs benedict for my partner. The only downside of the buffet I would say was in the evenings when if you did happen to arrive a little later in the evening, the entertainment kind of took place in the restaurant which was a little weird! especially if you were seated near the walkway when people wanted to perch on your table whilst you were still slurping your soup! Anyway, it was also great to be able to walk up to the Divi and use the different facilities there, and continued from that further walk along the beach to the divi tree! amazing beach walk but do take water and a long sleeved light top if not accustomed to this kind of heat; I didn't and really burnt my fore arms - I did find the sun here really scorching and once i'd burnt my arms for a couple of days after it felt rays were burning into my skin!

One thing I would definitely recommend is pegs for your beach towels! it was very very windy! we are used to a bit of a breeze but this really was very strong, and in fact if you were to the left of the beach bunker bar it was quite painful! on the right of the bar was a lot more bearable although still quite breezy, the sea also had quite a strong current, ok for most but personally I wouldn't put a small child in it comfortably.

One of the other things I really enjoyed about Aruba was feeling safe to walk around the island, we have been to quite a few places around the Caribbean now where you cant really leave the resort, and being able to wander out to the shop, Oranjestad, take a bus to the high rise area and feel really safe were a bonus.

We always say we wont go back to the same place twice, but this is definitely where I would make an exception.

Service, cleanliness, location - everything was spot on, I LOVE ARUBA!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Wrentham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Christmas at the Tamarijn was fantastic. My kids had the best time of their lives. The hotel is really really family friendly. Pizza, ice cream, soda, whatever they want anytime they want. Lots to do too....biking, wind surfing, kayaking, snorkeling, pool games, ping pong, volleyball, etc. You would literally have to try to not have fun. The rooms have all been done over since my last visit, they're clean, we'll taken care of, and right on the beach. Make sure you take a shuttle to the divi links and use the pool with the swim up bar and waterside. The staff was fun and friendly at all the resorts. The food was actually a lot better than I remember. I really liked paprazzi's Italian restaurant and the buffet was rally good. All in all a great stay, can't wait to go back and do it again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

we stayed here sept-oct 2012 for our honeymoon, as predicted weather was absolutley beautiful! we were checked in on our bus and were then able to go straight to our rooms and the cases followed shortly after. the view is breath taking, we stayed in a newley rennovated room, it had a huge comfy bed in which we were happy about, general caribbean style furnishings and great aircon! the hotel is by no mean 5 start luxury but suited us perfectly it was nice and relaxed every where was clean and tidy and the food was gorgeous! the only thing that did perhapps let it down was the tams main pool, its nothing special but did the job, it is between pizza per tutti coconuts bar and next to the buffet we found it had quite a few children in it and wasnt really relaxing and quiet enough for what we like, however there are two other pools on the dutch village complex which were perfect and only around the corner from the main pool. if you are after a little more luxury, then there sister hotel the divi divi is a little more up market but the rooms dont have the view that the tam does and for me that is priceless, we also found that the staff and atmosphere were a lot more relaxed at the tam which was great. we ate at ever restaurant on the resort and NEVER had a bad meal even the buffet was lovely always hot and pleanty of variety, we walked in to the high rise area one night and went to the Hard rock, it was VERY expensive, and we couldnt wait to get back to the peace and quiet of the tam! we also walked down to Oranjestad which is a lovely little town. We walked to the divi divi tree one night, it was a little further than 5 mins away like my husband insited it was, so maybe take water and suncream! its well worth the walk we timed it perfectly and as we were walking back the sun was setting and it makes for a lovely view. the sea trek i would reccomend to EVERYONE has so so much fun was one of the best experiences we have ever had, whilst we were on the resort i went to the spa to get my nails backfilled, i wouldnt reccomend i dont know if they do it a different way but the end look was not good, i ended up going back to have the lot taken off and oh my god, it was painfull, she didnt soak them for long enough and then resorted to pushing a sharp object between my nail and the acrylic trying to pull them off! cant comment on other treatments as that was enough for me! i have to say that is the ONLY negative i can think of, for a honeymoon destination it is perfect and would reccomend to all my friends and family

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here from October 12-18th and had a wonderful time! We stayed in one of the buildings that had been renovated. The place was very clean and the beds were comfortable. It was great to look out the window and see the ocean and beach. The next time I would definately request a ground floor room. Some nights they locked the beach chairs up so you couldn't get them to put under the shade huts. If you were on the ground floor you could simply leave them on your patio and have them in the morning. The food in the restaurants was excellent...we especially liked the Red Parrot at the Divi Resort. The staff for the most part was very friendly and helpful. The ladies at the concierge desk were terrific..they recommended a terrific restaurant in town for us and arranged our ride there and back. Definately do the jeep tour of the island...we did the half day tour and it was a fun way to see and learn about the island. We will definately be back!

Room Tip: end buildings have a long walk to food,pool and bar
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive? Share your experiences!