“Paradise for a week” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive

You added Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive to your Saves list
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   J.E. Irausquin Blvd #41 | Druif Beach, Oranjestad, Aruba   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Oranjestad
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Paradise for a week”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I spent a week at the Tamarijn for our 1 year anniversary. Our building (22) had been renovated somewhat recently, because it was very clean and up-to-date and not anything like what some of the others have posted. We saw the beach being raked several times over the course of the week, not just once, but even when they didn't, these beaches are NOT dirty and full of debris and seaweed. The white, soft sand was awesome, and the beach was never crowded at all. The restaurants were all very good, and the buffet exceeded our expectations. We ate at the Red Parrot twice, the Paparazzi and Ginger once, as well as tried the pizza bar, the buffet for daily breakfast and also lunch and dinner a few times. We had no complaints about anything at the Tamarijn with exception of the wifi service being pretty useless inside our room. Otherwise it worked fine, but for $50 a week, and only limited to 1 device, we would probably think twice about getting it next time. The safe in the room worked just perfectly, storing our valuables (including an iPad) nicely. $2/day well spent. We borrowed bicycles a couple times and rode the short distance to downtown and were glad those were available for free use. We also borrowed a kayak once and snorkeling gear a couple times. All in all we loved the Tamarijn, and this was confirmed each time we visited other parts of the island (including the high-rise "uptown" area). Less crowded and more relaxing, yet provided everything we needed for a wonderful stay. Having free use of the Divi was also a plus, but even though it seemed a little "nicer", we actually were glad to be right on the beach at the Tamarijn, away from some of the commotion of the main areas. We would definitely go back and we will choose the Tamarijn when we do.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The reviews prior said how this is definatly a 3 star and if you're expecting the Marriot, then be very dissapointed. Keep reading and you'll find out why.... My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon from Oct. 29-Nov 5. The taxi from the airport to the Tam was $22. When we arrived the lobby was pretty, however if you're expecting marble floors or marble statues, you wont find it here. You don't get the "WOW" feel that you get at a 5 star. The Tamarijn has a "rustic" look. If you've been to the Florida Keys, its kind of what it seems like. It has a very "secluded, beachy feel." My husband said the place looks very weathered and needs remodeling. If you can get past the "Holiday Inn" rooms then the rest of it is remarkable. We stayed in 2301 and honestly it was the closest to the beach/ water I have ever stayed at. It gives the saying "ocean front" a whole other meaning. Our back patio was 25 feet from the Carribean. The sand and water were beautiful and you immediatly forget about anything else. When we checked in we booked the Honeymoon package and they gave us two double beds??? we called the front desk immediatly and they changed our room within minutes to a King size. With the honeymoon package we received 2 tshirts, a bottle of champagne, 2 champagne glasses, a picture frame, $100 towards a restaurant downtown and a discounted meal at the Windows on Aruba Restaurant (highly recommended!!).
We asked for the room safe which is $2 per day. However they give you a key to open and close the safe and who wants to hold onto a key all day on vacation?? They need to upgrade to a keypad safe.
The Tamarijn is a short 10 minute walk to its sister hotel The Divi, or the shuttle comes every few minutes as well. With the all inclusive you can use all of The Divi's bars and restaurants. The best restaurant is the Red Parrot (Carribean). Ginger (Asian) was really good as well and so was The Palm Grill (where you cook your own food on the grill at your own table) was a really neat experience. We didnt eat at the Italian Restaurant, The Paparazzi, because we ate at the Red Parrot twice and we went downtown to eat one night and went across the street to the Golf course to eat at Windows on Aruba (not all inclusive but worth it!!). We never ate at the buffets for dinner, but the breakfast buffet was just bad and the lunch buffet was not much better. We usually grabbed a pizza or a snack at the Pizza per Tutti snack bar or ate a late breakfast and saved our appetites for the amazing restaurants at night. The staff were usually nice but not as willing to go out of their way as the staff in Mexico. But we are in another part of the world!! The women in the gift shops were kind of moody at times and didnt want us to unfold anything to see the sizes because they would have to fold it again. The taxi cab rides were affordable usually $9 downtown or $9 to the high rise section. The taxi cab drivers were Very nice and informative. We had no problems going off the resort to site see or just walk around downtown. The entire island is 19 miles long so it is very easy to see most of the island in just a few days. We took a 4 hour snorkel tour which we booked through the hotel and it was a blast. Booking tours and reservations for the restaurants were easy and we had no problems. Overall, if you can get over the dated rooms then this is the place to stay. The beach, water, surroundings and restaurants are amazing and this is Paradise !!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Me and my wife stayed at the Tamarijn in December and was incredibly happy with it.
The view is just amazing with the ocean just outside the windows and 5 short meters and you can be swimming.
Service was great and rooms were clean and nice and of good standard. They also have car rental and all kinds of excursions in the reception area.
Restaurants was very good, could be some waiting time at the more popular ones so you need to be in time with the reservations.
Aruba itself was amazing, warm water and white beaches everywhere, we are definitely going back there.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the city (24, 25 block) were newly renovated when we were there.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a 12day stay. I loved being right on the beach!

The rooms r 10steps to the beach! U had to step down about 2feet from the little board walk to the beach, there were many little rocks that u could not c so some times u would hurt your feet stepping down. Lots of seaweed would wash up daily and the beach was somewhat cleaned 1x a week. They realy need to rake around the huts to get rid of those little rocks.

Last year we stayed 15days next door and the divi and I walked over there on most days. The divi beach was cleaned daily and the ocean was much nicer.

also the rooms were very small and not to clean, we had to switch rooms due to bugs in the drawers!

Next time I will pay more and stay @ the divi which is cleaner and more upscale.

I did have a great time, but I was a bit sad I opted to stay here to save a few bucks, the main reason I picked here was for the beach view, but a dirty beach kinda ruins that! The resort needs to clean the seaweed daily and realy rake around the hunts

The food was good and all places

• Stayed November 2012
south coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed here in August but am only just writing the review as I didn't want the few negatives felt at the time to prejudice what I wrote. Overall loved Aruba and will definately return.....the people and the Island were lovely. Wish we had taken a driving licence so we could have explored more.

Positives:
Loved Ginger, Red Parrot and Windows....food was very good in all of them, and a good atmosphere. There is a slight charge for Windows (on top of A/I) but the food was well worth it and we went twice. Also ate at Passions on the Beach down the road....the food and the experience were fantastic, although quite expensive.
Really enjoyed the Jeep Safari to the Natural Pool and Palm Island day trip with De Palm Tours.
Found most of the staff at the hotel really lovely and the concierge team by reception were really nice too.
View from our room in 1900 block was super....I woke quite early and it was lovely to see the sea and the beach when it was quiet.
Gardens were nice and generally kept clean....found the Divi end much cleaner overall.
Divi - we spent alot of our time at the Divi pool and also when we were using the buffets (other than breakfast) the atmosphere was much nicer.
Had a great evening watching the water fountain display at the Paseo Herencia Mall in the High Rise area.....dancing fountains to Elvis was a first!!!! Great little bar one end of the fountains for good drinks...had a good happy hour too.
Arubus, late at night....really good, fun experience - didn't know you could get so many people on a bus!!! Thought the buses were excellent value for money.
Room cleanliness was very good (very nice cleaners....really deserved their tips) and shower did not really cause a problem as we were given so many towels to mop up.

Negatives:
The pool area at the Tam was not kept very tidy.....this is mostly due to the people staying at the hotel -how difficult is it to take your glasses back to the bar and put your snack bar plates into the bin!!!! Glasses were not tidied up on the beach either.....this was down to staff and visitors alike.
The pool - I know this is predominately a beach holiday but sometimes it's nice to use the pool (our 12 year old and his 9 year old friend really wanted to play there at times) however, on most days it was taken over at different times by a group of teenagers playing with a small, very hard ball which impacted on alot of other people.
Tam buffet - good for breakfast, ok for lunch - especially the earlier you went...not good at all in the evenings, once was enough and as said Divi buffet much nicer, especially early on.

So overall I really enjoyed my holiday.....it was just marred at times by some inconsiderate people. It is an expensive holiday when travelling from the UK as only First Choice/Thomsons travel to Aruba so they have no desire/competition to lower prices. I really hope to travel back to Aruba soon, maybe just not to the Tam.....it is always nice to try other hotels too for a different experience, although will miss many of the kind and friendly staff at the Tam.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wethersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My daughter, my teenage grandson and myself went to the Tam in August. Could not fault the checkin procedure and welcome we received. The room was clean and newly decorated and the view from the balcony was to die for (would have liked a ground floor but how often do you spend in your room). The whole experience of being able to help yourself to tea, coffee and water and soft drinks 24 hours a day was novel, more all inclusives should go down this route. My daighter and I ate in the buffet only at breakfast and lunchtime and then only had fruit and salad but could not fault the choice. The grandson made lots of friends and they all preferred the snack bar which was open from 11am (about the time teenagers get up) to midnight. In the evenings we tried all the restaurants but our favourites were the Red Parrott and Gingers (Gingers being our number one). Yes you have to queue to book them but we took it in turns to get up and go and do this so it was not a problem and you get to talk to other guests and find out all about the resort. The toilet area by the pool was always spotless. The only complaint I have is the lack of entertainment and having nowhere to sit in the evenings after your meal. There were a few seats at one bar and the usual bar stools but apart from the receiption area (where there was no bar) the only other seats were the sun loungers and quite frankly when I get dressed in the evening I don't want to sit on a sun lounger that someone has been lying on all day covered in sun tan lotion! We also found the trips excessively expensive and I really regretted not taking my driving licence with me - the roads were really quiet and it would have been really good value to hire a car and go round the island independently. The beach was good and the best rooms were probably the ones behind the snack bar, numbers 1300 I think. There are buggies to take you round the resort but quite frankly you have to be extremely fat, lazy or American to want to use them as nothing is that far away from the pool, restaurants and bars. I would recommend this as a 3 star holiday resort - it is very casual and we met some nice people, English and American. One thing I would say they desparately need is more sun shades round the pool, apart from a wooden gazebo on one side there is no shade at all only on the beach and you have to be very lucky to get that after 7am (or should that be midnight as quite a few people put towels out on their way back to the rooms at night). We spent most days round the pool as it is only a hop skip and jump to the beach from there (no buggies needed just about 20 paces at the most!). By the way the cocktails are amazing as are all the staff at the hotel - didn't some across one grumpy one the whole fortnight. Look out for the Aloe Man he comes round daily selling his own bottled aloe vera, he's a real character.

All in all a good holiday but I think I still prefer Cuba.

Room Tip: Take your driving licence with you. Rooms 1300 are the closest to the action but anything up to 1700...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Rego Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife was four months pregnant when we stayed at the Tamarijn, so it was a couples vacation, but certainly more subdued given her physical limitations. We heard some bad reviews, so we were a bit wary going in, but I can safely say they were grossly exaggerated. This place is perfect if you're a couple on a budget. Where else can you get a great price for an ocean view room that you just walk out of, straight onto the beach?? Every room is ocean view, so you can't lose. That really turned the scales in favor of this place,

The rooms themselves are not terribly impressive. They are small and don't look ravishingly new like some of the other big-name Caribbean resorts. But it really gives you a sweet, quaint feeling. And the place is pretty large, too. So it's not like you're crammed in. The pool was small and pretty far from us - we were the last complex at the end of the hotel neighborhood. But it was still awesome to dip into and it was rarely full. They had great MCs, nice music and entertainment, and a nice market once a week at night with lovely, small local items to purchase. The restaurants are also delicious. And doing stuff on the island is easy because it's so tiny. We did a tour of the whole island and go to see the main attractions all in one day. And we did a sunset cruise which was terribly romantic.

I can also say that the Aruban beaches are breathtaking. Go to this place - you won't regret waking up right next to the beautiful sea.

Just one note of caution - I did leave my sandals outside of our room, in the porch area, overnight, and they were not found the next morning. They were likely stolen by some wanderer into the hotel area, which is not a surprise considering we were literally at the end of the hotel, and the end of the hotel neighborhood, next to the actual town with local residents. Can't blame the hotel for this, though, nor Aruba. It was my fault for leaving my stuff out. So definitely take care of your things and leave all valuables in the safe.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view - you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive? Share your experiences!