“First trip to Aruba” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 9 hotels in Oranjestad
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
“First trip to Aruba”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We were very pleased with the accomodations at the Tropicana Aruba. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The bell captains were very friendly and were very quick in getting us cabs when we needed them. The hotel room had a full sized kitchen, living room and spacious bedroom. The pools were beautiful. There was a large modern grocery store a couple of blocks away. The beaches were the best I have ever seen (this includes beaches on the Gulf in Florida, the Atlantic, the Pacific, and Hawaii. The guest relations person was very helpful in booking some side trips for us and the bell captain, Pablo Hoyos was very pleasant. I left my cell phone at home and the front desk informed me that for $3.00 I could use the computer located in the lobby. I was impressed with the high speed of the internet and was able to keep in contact with my family via daily emails. Very nice vacation for us and we would definately stay at the Tropicana again.

Room Tip: Our balcony was on the east side so we got the morning sun which was great while we had coffee and r...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TropicanaGM, General Manager at Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Carol,

Thanks for the kind words! I’m really happy you enjoyed your first trip – hopefully, there will be many more to follow. There is a reason Aruba has the highest level of repeat visitors in the Caribbean. If there is anything we can do to assist on your next visit, please don’t hesitate to call upon us.

472 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Manitoba
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

CONS:
This was our very first stay in Aruba. We visited the year before for a day while on a cruise stop. We were so impressed with our time at DePalm Island that we vowed to return. We stayed at the Trop during the week of March 23rd to March 30th. The following week we moved across to La Cabana.
Being longtime Interval International members, their standards have always been first class, we were surprised to see how dated our unit was. We knew this going in after reading many reviews here on Trip Advisor but we did not expect to find what we did!
Our adult daughter pulled out the sofa bed that first night and after laying down for only a half hour she got up crying. The springs were coming through on the cheap thin mattress. Our Grandson had the single pull-out which was strangely in the kitchen???? That mattress was something you would find in a dumpster. It was a thin foam mattress covered in multiple smelly stains. Instead of using this gross mattress, he elected to sleep on the chair cushions we placed on the floor and covered them with the only thingwe had on hand... a dirty comforter!
Our daughter spent time sleeping on the couch or the floor.
We felt so bad for them that we surrendered our surprisingly comfy bed for a night of good sleep on their last day so not to suffer too much on a 20 hour travel day.
For our first meal we decided to cook some pasta. The biggest pot in the unit held 2 cups of water! Had to phone housekeeping and waited for a bigger pot to arrive.
Checking in and out took FOREVER!
PROS:
The best short waterslide I ever experienced!
Not crowded.
Under construction/renovation but it was not even noticeable.
Close to a great grocery store....Super Foods.
Safe area.
DePalm tour desk on-site.
Plenty of cabs around and close to a bus stop. Public bus transport was efficient and only $2.30 US p/p each way.
Cabs have set fares and A/C....no meters......that helps when it's slow bumper to bumper in Orenjestad when cruiseships are in port......

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room with new beds!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
TropicanaGM, General Manager at Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your review. I was surprised when I read the subject line because all of the rooms recently received new mattresses. I read later that these were at least comfy. Unfortunately, the sofa bed mattresses, while scheduled, haven’t been replaced yet. I’m sorry it was uncomfortable. I wish I would have found out sooner so I could have found a solution while you were here.

Although it will be of no consolation for your past stay, there are many other improvements taking place. No doubt you saw the activity on property with the restaurant being added and new elevators being installed. The first group of rooms are being prepped for their enhancements: painting, new air conditioning units, new linens, updated furniture, new curtains, new rugs, a flat screen television and new artwork.

Hopefully you’ll give us another chance when you visit Aruba again. I’d love to meet you in person and show you around.

Brian
Monticello, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

my wife and i have stayed the tropicana aruba twice but have been to aruba quite often. we stayed this time from march 29th to april 5th. the first day there i lost my ipod touch either on the beach or somewhere else. i was so upset but didnt let it ruin our vacation. the tropicana has def improved since the last time as always the entire staff were great. we also went to the new pizza bobs in the courtyard and the food and bar tenders were very nice. long story short, its been about three weeks since we have been home. just this morning my wife called me at work and sayed she had good news for me, she said she got an email from the tropicana saying the pizza bobs bartender found my ipod and took it to the office, found my wifes info and emailed her for are address so they can send it back!! i couldnt belive it. that kind of humanity is the reason when my freinds ask us why do we go to aruba all the time instead of some other island i tell them because thee aruban people are the most sincere kind people ive ever met. so thank you so much to the pizza bobs bartender and also the tropicana staff. cant wait to come back to our home away from home!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TropicanaGM, General Manager at Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Wow! Thanks for the feedback. I’m so glad you had a great visit. I share your thoughts on the Aruban people – I’m honored to work among them. I’ll be sharing your review with our team and making sure the individuals involved are recognized.

Paramaribo, Suriname
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We had a great stay and vacation this Easter.
A special thanks goes to Rafael Wever(guest relations & yield manager) and Pablo Hoyos(bell captain).
Good facilitation and very friendly personel.
Keep up the good work(thumbs up).

Greets
Andy

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thanks Andy for the review! I’m so glad you had a good time. Rafael is one of our amazing behind the scenes talents. Not everyone interacts with him directly, but he is involved in all visits. Thanks for calling him out. Also, this is the second time this week Pablo has been called out on TripAdvisor – such a deserving man. Thank you for that. I’ve already notified H.R. and forwarded a “bon trabou” message (“good job” in Papiamento) so we can publicly acknowledge the work they do.

I look forward to welcoming you again at the property.

Tillsonburg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was our 4th year in a row staying at the Tropicana and things are improving every year.
The Pizza Bob's opened the day before we left. We received the flat screen tv's while we were there and there are many more improvements being made to the resort every day. The pool is absolutely beautiful. The new sports bar "Busters" is a happening place.
A special thanks to Pablo who is ever helpful in his job with greeting everyone as they arrive and helping with luggage. He is always smiling and asking if you need anything done. He was especially happy the day we left as his son's 16th birthday was that day.
We look forward to returning and seeing Pablo again.
Take care Pablo

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dean,

Thank you for the kind words about Pablo. This was the first of two positive comments he received just this week. He is a great employee. I’m lucky to be on his team. Rest assured, he’ll be recognized because of your review.

I’m glad you enjoyed the new restaurant. It has been a homerun so far. I love their BBQ chicken pizza. I’m also glad you got to see some of the new stuff arriving. We have a new shipment coming in almost weekly now and it has really packed a punch in the rooms.

I hope to see you next year.

Commerce Township, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed at Tropicana in Feburary of 2013 for a week. As always, our room was very nice and clean. The grounds were beautiful and the staff was especially friendly and helpful. The airlines lost our luggage for 2 days, but we managed. I spent some time in the casino, more than usual, met some great people and had a ball. We took some amazing pictures and can't wait till next year. I will use the outdoor grill next time and looking forward to the new pizza place opening.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on your stay. I’m sorry the airline lost your luggage. If you need any assistance locally with compensation for replacement items, let me know and I’ll be happy to help out. I live on property – I could have let you borrow some of my clothes :)

Too bad you missed the opening of Pizza Bob’s. It has been a real hit with the customers. Next time!

Chaska, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was our second visit to this hotel. We rented a two bedroom unit that has been updated. They are making improvements to the rooms and property. One day I saw an entire row of new mattresses outside the rooms they were updating. There was not construction noise. I like the pools at the property. We did not go to Busters or the casino. We did enjoy Dunkin Donuts and Ben and Jerry's almost daily though! We went to the pool bar one time but the mixed drinks are watered down and the smoothies were pricey. There is a huge new grocery store across the street that has everything you need. Get an insulted cooler bag to take drinks to the beach and out to the pool. This saves big bucks. Our kids were happy with the frozen juice bars we bought instead of getting a smoothie every day. This property is quiet and not over crowded. If you are looking form room to spread out and not drop a ton of dough for a good resort, this is your place.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated tow bedroom.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!