“I wish I could stay here forever” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Oranjestad
Baltimore
“I wish I could stay here forever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

The bad news is that the construction was just very inconvenient to the guests and upper management should have closed the wing under construction. People go on vacation to have some R&R and with the hand drilling going on, it felt like they were drilling into my brain and had to shout so that my hubby could hear me. The renovated rooms were so retro and cool but they must have forgotten some minor but important touches - the bathroom didn't have a shower curtain, the bedroom have a glass door overlooking the living room which took off the privacy, and the cabinets didn't have any handles that it kept cutting and bruising our fingertips and knuckles. As much as we would have loved to stay in our newly renovated room, we had to move because of all the hand drilling going on between 10 am - 6 pm. Hammering here and there was reasonable but hand drilling???

The good news is that when we complained about it, Esmeralda and her staff immediately tried to resolve our issues and we were given the choice to move to a couple of rooms. On top of it all, Esmeralda was so in tuned with our venting that when we checked and transferred to the new room, there was a pleasant surprise waiting for us. Kudos to Esmeralda and all the staff! What a wonderful place to be. I can't wait to go back and maybe by that time, all renovations are completed.

Don't forget to visit the Flamingo Island and the Iguana Island; however, a mosquito repellant is a MUST HAVE!

Room Tip: When the renovation is completed, all rooms should be great!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Hungarian first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

...There's a families side (Iguana) and an adults only side (Flamingo). Enough said. My fiancee and I loved the the "adults only" side. There's an excellent restaurant on the island and I had one of the best grouper sandwiches I've ever eaten there. There's a Starbucks on the ground level and that's where they pick up for the private island. 7AM to 7PM. Every 15 minutes. Book a stay here. You'll love it.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

The Renaissance Suites are undergoing a facelift. The rooms are being redone but not very well done! The 1st, third and fifth floors (timeshare rooms)are being renovated but not in a good way! Such as: The bedroom has an open window to the kitchen and living room!!! There is not enough clothes storage in the bedroom! The NEW towels can remove skin! The NEW shower has only one door (water all over the floor!) The coffee tables have legs that stick out causing many injured toes!
Also the floors are not vacuumed in the stairwell and halls. Management was unresponsive! Avoid this property!

Room Tip: Stay at Playa Linda
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
ArubaHospitality, Director of Operations at Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino, responded to this review, September 19, 2014
Dear Onedum,

We appreciate your comments on our ongoing room renovations of the Ocean Suites Tower & have taken note of your observations, most of which have already been addressed.

Regards
Parimal Trivedi
Director of Operations
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

I was extraordinarily disappointed by our recent stay at the Renaissance Aruba Resort and Casino. The rooms are old and dated, the amenities are limited, and the mosquitos were terrible on the private island (I received 15 bites in about 30 minutes with no warnings from the staff about the conditions there.) Our television worked about 50% of the time, and there were very few channels to choose from when the weather got too hot to go out.

The worst part was the service - specifically the cleaning service. Food was left on "cleaned" plates, the tub stayed moldy during our visit, and the only way I knew our room had been picked up was that the bed was made (with two flat sheets that kept coming off at night.) There were so many bugs in the pool that when I looked underwater, I couldn't swim more than 3 feet without getting dead mosquitoes in my face. Anytime I rang down to the front desk to ask a question, or request a lightbulb for the burned out lamps, I got terse answers and vague timelines for help.

We even had a cleaning person use her key and enter into our room at 9:15 pm, without waiting for us to answer her knock. When I asked her to keep it down because our baby was sleeping, she continued to shout in Spanish about how she didn't mean to barge in. The one time we ordered room service (a piece of chocolate cake), we received 3 quarter sized, freezer burned "tarts" that tasted very stale for $14 after all the fees and gratuities.

My husband and I are seasoned travelers, and have stayed in the most limited hostels, minimalist campsites and rough conditions. We know how to get by with what we have. However, knowing the Marriott brand I've come to love and trust, what I expected was a beautiful stay in paradise. Instead, I was sorely disappointed that we lost all that money for such a bad experience.

Save your money, stay at a motel and get the same service and quality.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Melanie - indeed we are in the process of completing room renovation of our Ocean Suites Tower which is scheduled to be completed by this year end. We have already completed the room renovation of our Marina Hotel Tower. I do regret some of the housekeeping issues you encountered & will surely address it internally to avoid reoccurrence.

Regards
Parimal Trivedi
Director of Operations
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

I was in this hotel during August 2014 for a business trip and I found it wonderful. It is not a cheap hotel but here you are paying for the high quality of the services provided.

The room and the toilet are very spacious. There is a comfortable bed and wonderful views if you are faced against the sea.

They offer different kind of services: Laundry, gym, meals in the room, wifi (free in the loby but you have to pay for it if you want to have wifi in the room) etc.

It has a beatiful and relax swimming pool, very nice to have a bath when you are holding a drink on your hand. Very nice views from the swimming pool, you can see the sea when you are having a bath.

The best of the hotel is the private island. A boat is entering to the hotel and is driving the people from the hotel to this private island that is located 10 min away from the hotel in the open sea. These boats are taking people from 7am to 7pm (at least in August) each 10 min.
There, in the island, you have two beautiful beatches where you can swim or just to relax. There is the flamingo beach where there are beautiful pink flamingos on the shore (they are the stars of the island) and there is the iguana beach where you can find a lot of iguanas, not in the whole beach, normally they are located on the entrance. Both beaches are beautiful. You have spa and massage in the island if you want to pay for this service.

About the area where is located the hotel, is quite nice and calm. There are lot of restaurants and some bars to go for some drinks. It is not the most famous area of the island but it has the advantage that is not so crowded. As well this area is very close to the airport.

If you want to go to the resort area where most of the turists are hosted and there is a more exciting atmosphere at night, you can take a taxi or the bus. It is located 10-15 min away from the hotel area.

In general terms, I give a very high rate to this hotel

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

The hotel has it all. My particular favourite is the private island. Being so close to the flamingos and other wildlife was just fabulous. Being able to safely float in the sea was so relaxing. The pool area has a really cool, relaxing vibe too. The rooms are really spacious, clean with good extras including Aveda toiletries. The hotel is really central, there are some great bar and restaurants within walking distance alternatively concierge can hail a cab for you or the bus station is literally 2 minutes walk.

I'd definitely stay there again

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Barendrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Greta hotel. I stay here every couple of months, due to business appointments on Aruba. The atmosphere, the service, the relaxed music, everything makers me feel like visiting my second home. Perfect place.

Room Tip: All rooms are ok, but rooms in the front offer an astonishing view. Might also be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!