“Is a great Hotel but not cheap at all and they yet don´t have free internet!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save up to 45% Off
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Oranjestad
“Is a great Hotel but not cheap at all and they yet don´t have free internet!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Renaissance is a top level Hotel and charge according to the quality of service. This is the 3erd time I stay here, and at this time internet is free all over the world as a service for their customers. Even in restaurants, and in a lot of Hotels around the World, I yet don´t know why you want to charge for internet service!!!
Althoug in the past years you gave a discount ticket for shopping and playing at the Casino. Now you don´t!!!
You have to give more services for the price not less, what are you thinking?
Please review youre policies, because I hardly return next time!

Room Tip: ROOMS over Starbucks can reach free wifi internet in low floors.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
Freehold, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We just returned from our vacation and had an amazing experience at the Renaissance Ocean Suites. The staff was extremely happy and accommodating, we never heard the word no. Our room, 2241, was extremely clean and comfortable and had a great view. The king size bed was comfortable and my kids even said the pull out couch bed was comfy, too. The private island was like your own little slice of paradise. Excellent service, drinks and snorkeling! We had the all inclusive package and thought it was definitely worth it. The kids were able to order as many smoothies and milk shakes as they wanted and our food and drinks were plentiful. The breakfast at Aquarius, in our opinion, was the best. The dinner was excellent there, too. We also enjoyed LG Smith steakhouse and The Captain's Corner. Sole was perfect for lunch and drinks.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

After reading the tripadvisor reviews, I debated staying in this hotel. I am a Marriott Platinum member and considered staying in one of the Marriott resort properties in Eagle Beach. However, I was in Aruba on business and this property was very convenient to my office - for that reason, this was definitely the right choice for me.

The hotel, as others have said, is very dated - though I do understand it is undergoing a renovation. My room had a beautiful view of the marina - but that was its only redeeming quality. The room felt old, dingy, and damp. The furniture was in need of repair. And, the bathroom was beyond disgusting. There was mold in the shower and no air circulation - it was so humid in the bathroom that the box of Kleenex was actually damp. The design of the hotel is like a maze and to get to my room, from reception, was quite a hike - elevators, hallways, inside, outside, through double doors..................and no air conditioning in the lobby or any of the public areas or hallways. Surprising for such a hot and humid country.

I found the staff at the hotel to be helpful - but they were limited in what they were able to do. When I was there, the Customs agents were on a "work to rule" meaning that they would do only the minimum required by the rules of their contract. In practicality, it was like a strike. As a result, the work materials that I had shipped to Aruba remained in Customs and we were not able to get them out and delivered to the office. As an alternative, having electronic copies of everything, I asked the hotel if I could make copies there - I needed certain materials early the next morning. I was surprised to learn - in a very large hotel frequented by business travelers, there was only a very small copy machine. They were extremely helpful - but I spent hours and hours sweating in their back office working and was only able to copy a fraction of what I needed. While I was able to get the rest done at the office, I was surprised that the hotel had such limited business support.

I wouldn't choose to stay in this particular location again. Just behind the hotel, in an area under construction, are some restaurants, as well as tourist and souvenir shops. The road that runs along the front of the hotel seems to cater to cruise ships with jewelry stores and a few restaurants. The hotel itself is attached to a shopping complex with high end shops and a casino. It did seem that the area up by Eagle Beach had far more in terms of entertainment, shopping, restaurants and activities - not to mention, the beach.

For me, the hotel served its purpose in that it was a 5 minute cab ride from my office and a 10 minute cab ride to the airport - so very convenient. I would not, however, stay here again unless the hotel renovation is complete - the room, bathrooms, and lack of support are obstacles that are difficult to overcome. I would most likely stay in one of the Marriott resort properties that I understand are quite lovely. It's a small island and the cab ride would be longer, but worth it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the ocean suites hotel from August 20-26. Everything was just great! The staff was extremely friendly, nice and accomodating. The pool was very relaxing right next to the renaissance beach. The bar staff Arvin, Julio, and Nelson were all just very great and and also very friendly. Make sure you meet with either one of these guys to take care of you when it comes to getting your drinks and food at the pool bar. My wife and 4 year old daughter were very satisified with our stay here at the Renaissance Ocean suites hotel. We will definetly make a trip back here in the near future!

• Stayed August 2013
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is the tale of the most bipolar and dysfunctional hotel I have had the misfortune of gong to. First it is important to note that this hotel is really two different hotels...one for adults only and the other for families, but both are not recommended by locals. Pulling up to the hotel it looked like a nice tropical resort, but that soon changed. Walking in to the lobby it was like a sauna (no AC and open to elements. You will notice the hordes of people in the lobby and will realize that the "free wifi" is only available in the lobby and the bar on Renaissance Island. You will see people there from morning to night. When we went to check in we were approached by staff and then told to wait a minute (really 5) as they went back and forth like chickens with their heads cut off. We were given our unit only to find we had a beautiful view of a parking lot. Asked to upgrade and for 50 a night you can actually get an ocean view. The part they don't tell you is that if you wait until Monday you can get the same room upgrade for free. Going to the room you will quickly notice that there is no air conditioning in the elevators or elevator lobbies, but there is AC behind doors that lead to units. When we got to our unit we were shocked as to how absolutely dated and dirty the unit was. There is a strong smell from an automatic air freshener to cover up the horrors. The room filthy...the walls are well worn, water stains from previous leaks are prevalent in the bathroom drop ceiling and so much more that the pictures don't even do it justice. The cherry on top was when I went to cook breakfast and the pots, pans, plates, and utensils were dirty. I was not scrapping the crust off the sauté pan and asked for a new one. Turns out there is no housekeeping staff until 9am and after calling several times finally received new pan around 10am. You might wonder why I would cook on vacation and I will share our experience at the outdoor restaurant (only one onsite in ocean suites). We went to the restaurant for breakfast our first day and would never return. The service was horrible (20 minutes for wate and coffee) and that was the least of their problems. There are birds everywhere. You'll find bird netting surrounding 3/4 of the restaurant and will notice the bird droppings on the chairs, tables, and pretty much every other surface, including where they cook and the food is located. If you get up from your table the birds will fly over and find crumbs and drink from your water or juice. The bird pooping on the child was the absolute final straw. When we got up to leave magically the staff reappeared to make sure they got the service charge attached to your bill. I immediately went to the front desk and asked for the manager. Apparently she was too busy to come to the front an d they simply handed me the phone to her. She was absolutely useless and said she would have the food and beverage manager call me. When I spoke to him it only got better. When I told him if there was a health department his restaurant would be shutdown he told me "yes we have had a bird problem for the last 2 or 3 years and are working on it. We put up the netting and ordered doors but they are coming next month." Does it really take 3 years to fix this??? How about scrubbing the place from top to bottom for a start. Eventually he said it would be removed from my bill (it was not and had to demand it again) and I should try the hotel's indoor restaurant. He of course failed to mention that the indoor restaurant was located across the street in the adult only section. This is indicative of the hotel, probably the worst service of any resort I have ever stayed at. Many write it off to the island, but we went many other places and didn't encounter this. I frankly believe because there is a service charge included in everything (including $6/day for room) the staff just doesn't care. There is so much more, but I will just get to the point. DO NOT STAY HERE!!! Locals recommend the Radisson or the Marriot. Run Run as fast as you can away from the Renaissance!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Kids loved the pools and little beach, also the virgin piña coladas in the pool bar
The brunch by the pool is very good
you can take a complimentary 10 min boat ride to the resort island and spend the day in a natural pool
kids loved the iguanas, hermit crabs and fishes
the suites in the resort had a little kitchenette, one bathroom a king size bed in the room and a sofabed for the kids
Is in downtown Oranjestad with plenty of stores and a few good restaurants around
Most of the good restaurants, hotels and casinos are at 15 minutes in taxi (14 dollars)
The ride from the airport is around 10 minutes and cost 18 dollars

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Loved the check-in service, our room was not ready but the hotel bellman held our bags while we got a quick bite to eat at the Blue in the hotel lobby. Great food and drinks to begin. We had great waitress service all weekend. Wish I could remember both of the ladies names from happy hour, but I renamed one Sugar (from the dominican) and the other was Elizabeth (from Peru). Excellent personalities both of them, can't wait to return. The new renovated rooms are great, glad we landed on the 6th floor (room 1667) great view of the island as well as the ocean. Since we stayed on the Adult exclusive Marina side having the security to reinforce no children, was a good addition. They weren't always there to let the family's visiting no that they weren't allowed in the pool area, so they may need to add more times for that job duty. Eduardo (bellman) checked on us a few times while in the lobby area, he was very knowledgeable. The wifi in the lobby area was pretty strong but not as much at the pool or bar areas, but it did work well. The pool was definitely a great area to hang out especially during happy hour and the music addition was a great add. This location is great for couples seeking a romantic spot with things in walking distance for shopping, food and entertainment, but also relaxation if you wanted some quiet time too. We had a blast on the private island and love the private boat escort to the island. The only issue I had the entire trip was that the private island on the Adult side was not as manicured as the family side. Also no towel and food service on the Adult side you have to walk back across the boardwalk to get that servic eon the family side. This needs to be fixed as we would like to stay in the adult area as much as we'd like too. Also on the Adult side of the private island, the beach isn't as upkept in the sand area entering the beach, very rocky and not as pleasant as the experience of entering the beach on the family side. A great addition to the hotel, but needs a little bit more work for the Adult side of the private island. We only ate at the Aquarious lounge once for breakfast, on our last day and I must say the buffet and service again was great. The food is quite pricey all around the downtown area but we did not do the all inclusive simply because we are both dieting and knew we wouldn't spend that much on food. If we had been staying for 5 days or more we may have opted to the all-inclusive deal as the food looked very good for all meals. BTW there is a Subway and a Dunkin Donuts for those that don't really like seafood or a full meal. Also pretty much everything shuts down on Sunday's, but restaurants and the hotel still have open hours at all locations, just no shopping at all on Sundays. Can't wait to revisit. Thanks for a great experience for our first time in Aruba.....

Room Tip: Room 1667 a great side view of the ocean and the city all in one.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!