“Wonderful Birthday In Aruba” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 25% off Leisure Rate
Ranked #2 of 9 hotels in Oranjestad
Birmingham, Alabama
“Wonderful Birthday In Aruba”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I had the pleasure of spending my 40th birthday in Aruba. My BF and I spent 6 nights at the Renaissance Ocean Suites. Overall, I was satifsfied with the accomodations. I think that my expectations had been lowered after reading some of these reviews. The room was quite spacious for the two of us, and very clean. I thought the bed was quite comfortable, and I slept 8-10 hours each night. (Highly unusual for me!) I liked having the mini fridge for juice, sodas, and beer. We bought rum at the supermarket and mixed a lot of our own drinks. My only complaints about the room are that the furniture in the living area was quite dirty. I didn't even sit on the couch or the side chair. I must admit that I am a bit of a germophobe, so I was probably overacting! Also, the bathtub drain was clogged the entire time. Maintenance supposedly came to fix it, but we were still ankle deep in water by the time we finished showering. We were on the first floor in room 2132, which was close to the lobby. That made is really easy to get to the free wi-fi area to check emails and Facebook on my tablet.

We did the private island only one day. Bought a bucket of Balashis and hung out on the family side. Fortunately, there were not many kids around that day. I loved the island, and the water looked and felt great. Many people advised me before not to be worried about bugs. I accidentally left my Bug Guard in the room, and that was a huge mistake. BF and I got eaten alive. I thought that we would be safe considering how windy it was. We hung out by the pool area more often. I had some wonderful Aruba Aribas made by Nelson and Julio. There were a couple of female bartenders that were not very friendly, and their drinks were not very good either. Grace was my waitress on my birthday. She was sooooo sweet. After I told her about my bday, she brought me some flowers. It almost made me cry. I put them in a glass of water in the room. The next day, our housekeeper added some greenery to them and created an arrangement. Sometimes, it's the little things that mean so much!

Check in and out were not a problem, although the front desk staff members that I encountered were not very friendly. Beware of the 75 cents local calls and the $10.95 government timeshare tax that are added to your bill. They sure added up. Overall, I was pleased with the Renaissance. Would I stay there the next time I'm in Aruba...Probably not. I took a look at the Riu and fell in love! That's where I'll probably stay next time. Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

2,184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I just returned from a 5 day (too short) stay at the Renaissance Aruba Resort and Casino. I had a terrific time. All of the staff was outstanding, helpful and friendly. In particular, the bartender Rafael makes a perfect Mojito and is always ready with a helpful suggestion on local eats and attractions. I didn't want to leave! I'll be back.

Room Tip: We had diving gear, so requested a room on the 3rd floor which had extra balcony space.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed at the Renaissance Aruba Resort, adult only building with all-inclusive option in January 2013 for 1 week. The hotel and facilities were very good. The downtown location is not typical of a resort environment but it provided lots of activity and people watching. The boat shuttle to the private island went frequently and the trip was short. Food was good in all the restaurants.

We were surprised by the many North American chain stores, including Starbucks!

The public transit bus terminal was only 2 blocks away. Easy to travel north to the low rise and high rise hotel districts. The beach up there was fantastic. Lounge chairs and umbrellas are available to rent for the day.

The Aruban people are very friendly. They don't call it 'One Happy Island" for nothing!

We visited the Butterfly farm. It was fascinating. Don't miss it.

We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tillsonburg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Arrival Nov 10-17, 2012
We are a family of 3 people (2 adults, 9yr old boy). Flight and check in was easy - we went with the all-inclusive option.

ROOMS:
We stayed at the Ocean Suites - had a great family room with pull out sofa bed and separate bedroom with ensuite. The room was great - nothing fancy. Had a closet, dresser, desk, 2 flat screen tvs, in room safe, mini fridge. We had a small balcony with table & chairs. We had no issues with hot water/pressure or a/c at all. Room was well cleaned every day.

RESTUARANTS & BARS:
We had the all-inclusive option and found the food at all the resorts available restaurants to be FANTASTIC. The charge card system for the all-inclusives is a bit worriesome and a hassle for quick ordering since you had to sign a slip for every single drink (meant we ordered alot of multiples!).

BEACH/POOLS/GROUNDS:
The main pool is small but more than adequate with a swim up bar. There is also a small "beach area". We never had problems getting beach chairs.

We went to the private island which was a nice short boat ride -- there was great snorkelling there and lots of iguanas.

This resort is very small and was very well kept.

ACTIVITIES ON & OFF RESORT/HOTEL:
We rented a car for less than $40 and toured the island geocaching by ourselves - great fun! We also took a full day island tour with ABC Tours for the off roading places our rental car dare not go -- highly recommend them!

Other Comments:
We brought our laptop with us and had no issues with internet – we purchased a week of service. We used a magic jack for phone service without any trouble.

We loved the small hotel atmostphere, local shops and safety of Aruba - would we go back?? YES absolutely!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed for 8 days and 7 nights at the Adults Only Marina Resort. The lobby and hotel features were beautiful! The proximity to downtown Oranjestad was great- we often took the short walk to the Ocean Suites and the Marketplace. We did not opt for the All-Inclusive plan and were happy with all of the restaurants that Aruba has to offer.

Our room was very nice- comfortable bed, great view of the water and Marina, separate room with door leading to sinks, mirrors, closets, bathroom. The infinity pool off of the lobby was really beautiful and refreshing. The resort isn't overwhelmingly massive, but there are many wonderful things that it has to offer- The Renaissance Mall (high-end stores), The Marketplace (plenty of great restaurants), Casinos, Starbucks, etc.

The best part of this resort is BY FAR Renaissance Island, the hotel's private island (the ONLY resort-owned private island in Aruba)!!! The island is breathtaking! The turquoise water is amazing to look at on the boat ride over to the island. The boats came VERY often (every 10-15 minutes) and the ride took 10 minutes with great views of the Marina, the Ocean Suites and the island strip leading to the island. There are always enough chairs on the beach, we usually spent the day at the family beach, Iguana Beach because it was a little more lively than the adults only beach. The sun is very strong on the entire island but there is plenty of room a few steps back from the water underneath the palm trees for that great Aruba breeze. The ocean is blocked in by a big rock wall so you don't have to worry about drifting out on one of the ocean lounges that you can rent for the day. The iguanas, flamingos and birds that roam around the island make it really feel like a paradise island. We went to island at least once a day. Our experience on Renaissance Island made the trip! Any little flaws could easily be overlooked. If you are looking for a great private resort (not on a huge strip of busy hotels) with a great beach experience- this is THE resort to stay at.

Overall, I would highly recommend this resort for anyone who wants a great experience in Aruba. I am definitely planning to return to the Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Beamsville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We just spent two glorious weeks in Aruba had a wonderful time weather was great and as usual great food a the best friendliest people in the Caribbean. Oranjestad is undergoing a huge facelift so a lot of construction. But once this is done it will be beautiful. Staying at ocean suites was great we know the staff and they always welcome you back with a smile making it feel like home.

Room Tip: If you want quiet stay on ocean side. Work in town can be a little disruptive.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I visited Aruba in august 2007 before we were married. This was before we tried any all-inclusive or adults only resorts. The room could've used some TLC, as there was a weird hole in the shower wall surrounding the shower head faucet... But otherwise was nice. Great ocean view out one window and pool room out another window. Now we prefer adults only/all-inclusive resorts, but would be a great option for a family trip!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!