“Very nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Save 25% off Leisure Rate
Ranked #2 of 9 hotels in Oranjestad
“Very nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

This was a great hotel with private beach . Very helpful staff and great bartender Raphael. We booked a horrible resort tropicana which smelled and was horrible, got on the phone immediately with Marriott and they put us up at renaissance for 5 nights. Very expensive but totally worth it since my husband gets only 5 days a year! Do all inclusive if you go!

• Stayed March 2013

2,270 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
Oak bluffs, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed that Ocean Suites Portion of the Hotel. It's a little dated but I found it clean and the beds were comfortable. Our room had two small fridge's and a little cooktop stove. There are good and bad's about this hotel. It's right in the downtown area. A lot of shopping, restaurants, and even a movie theatre is right next door or the main downtown area is across the street.
For the fitness center you had to go to the other Renaissance Building. The fitness center was nice. When I first saw it I thought it was going to be packed because it was small, but it wasn't too crowded.
It's cool being downtown but the bad thing is no beach. You have to take the boat to the private island to the beach. They say it comes every 15 mintues. I would say it's more like every 30 minutes, but wasn't timing it. So no big deal you have to wait for a boat right. Well your on vacation do you really want to wait around in 95 degree heat for a boat to go to an island to get to the beach or do you want to stay on the beach? You decide. I liked this hotel but for this reason I will stay at one of the hotels on the beach next time. Also, when you get to the island you are swimming in almost a man made lagoon (that connects to the ocean), so It doesn't feel like you are swimming in the open ocean. The flamingos and iguana's are a cool thing to see on the island.
Oh yea, and the other bad thing. No wi-fi in the rooms. You have to go to the lobby. Kind of a pain. It was actually nice not to be attached to the iphone for the week, but also it's 2013, they need to have some sort of wi-fi in the rooms I think.
All in all, not a bad place. The main thing for me was no beach there.
I thought the breakfast buffet was lousy.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bridgetown, Barbados
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed here March 4-6 as part of a conference, so we benefited from a rate that was about 40 percent less than that quoted on Marriott.com. At this price for the location and friendly service it was a good value and a satisfactory stay.

The rooms are quite tired, especially in the bathrooms where the fixtures and tubs and basins are quite old. No amount of cleaning will make them look good, so I think that is why other folks in previous reviews might have complained about cleanliness. My room was spotless but the worn out hardware and carpets made it seem otherwise. (The chair in my room was very high quality but the seat was worn through in places, for example) The Caribbean is a very harsh environment though so I am a bit more understanding now about the state of hotel infrastructure than when I arrived two years ago. My room's air conditioning worked very well but was really noisy, which detracted from my sleep quality. The bed was extremely comfortable with the usual high end Marriott beds that are just wonderful.

The lack of Wifi in rooms was a notable annoyance. The strength and reliability of the signal in the very noisy bar and pool area was only average. The business lounge offers free boarding pass printing. The gym was spacious and very well maintained. The pool area was really chic with the pool itself being one of the "endless" type overlooking the street, harbor, and cruise dock. It abuts the bar and throbbed with sound from mid-day through the evening.

The hotel staff were really nice, very welcoming, but they weren't really with the Marriott program: there must be some training program worldwide because they usually make special note of my Marriott elite status and thank me for my dedicated patronage. Not here. It wasn't a big deal to me, but it just sort of exemplified that they weren't quite up to speed. Also, I asked for a late check out early in the day, the desk clerk said, "the manager is not here, you'll have to call back later." At a fancy hotel, I'd have expected something along the lines of "my manager needs to approve those but I note you have priority as one of our elite members, I will call you back when he/she arrives for the day." Again, I'm not outraged or anything like that, it just seems like they weren't quite up to the professionalism of other resort Marriotts. Still, I would underline how welcoming and friendly they were, especially compared with the Eastern Caribbean.

The breakfast buffet in Aquarius was completely satisfactory, had the usual upscale Marriott offerings and was included in the room package. I had no complaints since I didn't pay extra for it. I'm not sure it would warrant the cost otherwise, however. The staff were super friendly there as well. Like all Marriotts around the world, they just have terrible food service coffee, so you can't really hold that against any particular hotel in the chain.

At the open air mall associated with the hotel across the road there is a Dunkin Donuts where I would have likely gone otherwise if the breakfast wasn't included. There is also a Starbucks in the lobby for those that like that sort of coffee. There's also a Subway there with extremely fair prices, equivalent to getting a sandwich on the mainland USA. They have a real movie theater too.

Aruba is very clean, tidy, and well maintained, especially when compared with the Eastern Caribbean. I felt extremely safe at all times.

Room Tip: rooms that end in "51" will help you stay away from the lobby bar/pool area noise. Mine h...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Guelph, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Ok, so I am the 3rd party reviewer here - my parents (well travelled seniors) recently returned from spending 2 weeks at the Renaissance Aruba - Marina section. They travelled Feb 19 to March 5 with Air Canada vacations and report the flights were good and arrived at the hotel in a timely fashion. It took a LONG time to check in and being the last ones to get their room assigned lead to their previously arranged room having been given out to other guests. This was rather disappointing as Marisa, one the of the night managers, was an absolute angel and had arranged everything for them. I had spoken with her on the phone and via email to ensure my parents were well taken care of as my father has some mobility issues. It took 3 days to get their unsatisfactory room switched (apparently it was so close to another building/sky walk that they couldn't open their drapes for sunlight and weren't wanting to spend 2 weeks in that room) (this was NOT Marisa's fault - my parents didn't want to trouble her with their complaints as they had felt she had done so much for them already and dealt with the day staff). Room 1505 was much better for their remaining 11 nights.

Many discussions with other hotel guests regarding reviews stating "the hotel was disgusting" were found to reveal this was completely unfounded. My parents found everything to be immaculately clean. They say it is an older hotel, and the bathroom was on the smaller side, but their room was more than adequate and kept extremely clean.

They found the staff at the hotel to be very accomodating. I have to say that the Marriott hotel chain gets top brownie points for the way my enquiries were handled. My father has Celiac disease and has had difficulties on previous vacations getting decent meals. The customer service at Marriott answered my email IN LESS THAN 2 HOURS and I was put in touch with Jose Dominguez, the executive chef of the Renaissance Aruba within 24 HOURS. He assured me he and his staff would take good care of my father. They took his picture when they checked in and it was posted in all the kitchens at the resort. He was quite amused to relay to me 2 instances where the wait staff upon approaching their table said "hey, I recognize you - you are the gluten free guy". Even at the private island, the waitress knew him from the photo and knew what his dietary needs were . Now THAT is what I call customer service! I did not receive rave reviews from my parents about the food, but they report there was lots of it available (they were on the all inclusive plan) and it was good and they were pleased my father's dietary needs were being looked after.

As is usually the case, it seems the resort has a shortage of loungers around the pool which isn't helped by people reserving TWO sets of them sometimes (1 in the shade and 1 in the sun), nor by the apparent trespassing of people not even staying at the hotel coming in to use the facilities! Wow, that takes bravado doesn't it??

My parents found the private island to be nice and relaxing and I think would have visited more had my dad been more mobile (walking is a problem, no wheelchairs for him just a cane).

MARISA CERASUOLO, you ROCK!!! My parents loved you and you truly represented your hotel in the fashion it deserved. And Jose Dominguez, the executive chef and his staff deserve KUDOS for their care of my father's dietary needs.

Their overall rating for the hotel is a 7 out of 10. They found the people of Aruba to be absolutely lovely.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Somerset, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel Feb 9th and 10th in the Island view part of the hotel. The hotel was not in good shape for such a premium price. The bathrooms were dirty and the tub had paint cracking in it. The bar area was full of smoke and the service was VERY slow....it took almost 30 minutes before we even got a menu and it went downhill from there. The next day we decided to go down to the pool area and there were no chairs to be had so we decided to go swimming.....however the pool was cloudy and dirty so we didn't want to even go in. The trip over to the private island was fun but the island was not in good shape at all.....they have flamingos that wander the island and they had let a lot of bird poop accumulate on the beaches. Very unattractive.
I am used to staying at moderate price hotels so I was completely surprised that the Marriott Renaissance hotel was in such poor condition. This is totally not what I have come to expect from Marriott. As any unhappy guest should do I asked for the manager and told her my issues. She acted surprised and said that she had not heard any complaints from other guests.....so she basically brushed me off. Funny thing is that when we were walking away from her another couple came up to her with the same issues! I do not think the manager was truthful with us as a lot of the other guests had complaints too. The manager refused to do anything to make our stay better and told us that the hotel is scheduled to be remodeled soon......well that does nothing to help us on our vacation. I would stay away from this hotel. We checked out of this hotel and stayed the remainder of the week in the Marriott Vacation Club rentals in the the Palm Beach area. That hotel is a beautiful clean and modern place that we enjoyed tremendously. I hope this review helps other visitors.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

By far the best part of this hotel is the access to its own private island/beach. The hotel itself needs updating - very dated. Our just ok room had ocean and pool view. The doors of the juliet balcony were incredibly soundproof which helped because the poor choice of dj music nightly was loud and repetitive, not very conducive to the crowd. Happy hour 4:30-6 with 2/1 cocktails was a plus. The pool was too small for the size of the resort. Nice view of the marina/cruise ships/sunset. But take a short water taxi (provided) to the spectacular island and find plenty of lounge chairs peace and quiet. Negative was the close proximinity to airport (loud takeoffs). Plus was adult only beach avail. All age safe ocean access!! Flamingos, snorkeling, puffer fish, birds, iguanas abound w/food avail and clean bathrooms.

Room Tip: Suggest ocean view. Only juliet balconies avail. Close proximity to nice asst of restaurants. A ci...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Clairsville, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed at the Renaissance as a part of the Ohio Contractors Association Feb.20-27,2013. Everything was clean,the service was good, and the location was excellent. Food at the Ocean Suites was just "ok". Better at the Marina Hotel. Our bed was one of the most comfortable,ever! I thought drinks,food were a bit pricey,but, It's Aruba! The Spa at the Marina Hotel was very nice.
I found the surrounding area to be very safe,as I ventured out on my own some. The Private Island was exceptional and close to paradise!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!