“Tasty steaks, but lost it's charm” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 96 restaurants in Oranjestad
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Tasty steaks, but lost it's charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

El Gaucho has been a favorite of ours for years. We were disappointed this time around.
We waited over 20 minutes to be seated - even though we made reservations months ahead of time. The restaurant was loud and my husband's steak (the El Gaucho) was "just ok." The restaurant is expensive and adds a 15% service charge, but explains that only 5% of that goes to the wait staff. What is the other 10% for??? The restaurant is a 15 minute ride from the high rise hotels and is a little difficult to find. We don't think we will go out of our way to go to this restaurant next time we are in Aruba.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Bedford
“Best Steakhouse in Aruba”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We read the postings in TripAdvisor and found our way to El Gaucho. (Make sure to get explicit directions before you go, or take a taxi). Every meat dish was great and cooked perfectly. The side dishes were fantastic.

Visited August 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best Steakhouse in Aruba”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife and I had a great experience here. I have been to Aruba 6 times and this is still the best Steak I have had while on Vacation. I am not claiming it is as good as Ruth Chris but it is very good. The service was excellent and very friendly if you are looking for a nice dinner out I highly recommend El Gaucho.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Schaumburg, Illinois
“You get what you pay for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

This is the best restaurant in Aruba. Yes it is very expensive but you get what you pay for and it is incredible! The food is delicious and cooked perfect. I'm not a big steak person, but ordered a New York and it was good. The portion sizes are huge so watch out! You must be ready to eat when coming here!! We also got the calamari for an appetizer and chocolate cake for dessert.. Delicious! Only draw back is its downtown away from the hotels so it is a good 15 minute taxi ride away but well worth it.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Awesome!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Delicious! Great service! Perfect! My wife and I ate dinner at 8pm on a Wednesday. We arrived early and had a drink at the bar while we waited for our table. My wife had a very good white sangria and I just had a rum and coke. We were seated in a timely fashion. The wait staff were all very good and friendly.

I ordered the 38oz Porterhouse medium. It was a great cut of meat and was cooked to perfection. Very tender and juicy. Just fantastic! It was simply one of the best steaks I've ever had. I ate every last piece of it and I'm not a big guy to easily eat 38oz of meat. My wife ordered the shish kabob. I never saw shish kabobs served this way. It was a whole piece of steak (maybe 4oz), a piece of pork, a whole chorizo sausage, a whole onion, a whole tomato, and a whole pepper all on a big skewer. They removed the skewer at the table. My wife said it was delicious and it was so much food that she finished maybe half of it. We each had a coffee but we were way too full to have dessert. Their desserts did look good though.

It's an amazing steakhouse and any steak lover that comes to Aruba needs to eat here. Just great!

Visited August 2013