“Had a lovely time!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa

You added Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Maesycwmmer | Nr. Ystrad Mynach, Maesycwmmer CF82 7SN, Wales   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maesycwmmer
Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
“Had a lovely time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I went for the chocolate spa day with a friend not so long ago. Staff were extremely friendly and explained everything perfectly. we had the rasul treatment, which was very relaxing and smelt amazing! after spending most of the day relaxing by the pool, we had afternoon tea which was lovely and very tasty- everything was taken care of, and we had a very enjoyable and relaxing day! lovely hotel, that i will definitly visit again :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Simon D, General Manager at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your review. Come back soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Room was tiny, more box like with a tiny bath. The service in the bar was extremely slow, you wait around for bar staff to appear. Evening meal arrived cold. We ordered breakfast to be delivered between 9.30am and 9.45am, it arrived at 10.15am with no apology and they tried to charge us a tray charge! Over my dead body am i paying for that! Checked my bank statement a couple of days later and they had charged me twice for the stay! Not accectable at all. Over all i would never ever stay at this hotel ever again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so very sorry that we got it wrong! If you feel in the future that you wish to return, please contact me personally at the hotel so that i can look after your booking.
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I decided to book a one night spa break to celebrate our anniversary. After trawling the internet (for hours!!) we chose Bryn Meadows having read a few reviews and seen the facilities. We arrived early and went straight for the spa/treatments. We were not disappointed. The staff were superb and the spa itself was very clean, well presented and relaxing. It was everything we had imagined....all the right facilities (Aromatherapy room, Sauna, Steam room, Hydro pool - loved this!, Jacuzzi - lovely and warm). It was also very quiet, never more than 5 of us, including my wife and myself in the pool at any one time - bliss.
The treatments were also perfect, the massage was excellent but the real treat was the Rasul mud treatment......if you decide to book and stay, then the Rasul is a must, I won't spoil the surprise...it's amazing.
We (eventually) booked into our room, it was clean and a good size with a lovely view of the golf course. However we had booked a double bed only to discover that it was in fact 2 large singles next to each other. This led to an interrupted nights sleep as I found myself gravitating towards the join of the 2 beds, rather uncomfortable.
The following morning we went for breakfast, wow, it was lovely. Really well presented and tasted great. You must have the lava bread!
All in all a great stay and we thoroughly enjoyed, however, if I was staying another night I would have complained about the beds and demanded a double.
p.s. if you are planning a stay then make sure you have a meal at the Viceroy Indian Restaurant in Ystrad Mynach (5 min away)...the best curry we have ever tasted, and we have tasted a few!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your very comprehensive review of your recent stay. I hope you are able to return to us soon.
Accrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed at Bryn Meadows over the Easter weekend. and cant think of anything negative to say about this hotel. The room has lovely with a sumptious bed. The facilities are second to none with a great pool, gym and spa. The views from the bar are superb as is the food both at dinner and breakfast. Will stay again the next time we are in S. Wales.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. All feed-back is used to improve our standards.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We booked via Booking.com for £47 B&B and it was exceptional value for such a nice hotel with a very good spa and very popular golf course. Beds and bedding were of a very high standard and we could find no fault whatsoever. Even the dreaded mini bar was a reasonable price. One word of warning. The restaurant was very popular when we stayed and we were unable to book for dinner so don't leave it too late to book if you intend dining in the restaurant which has superb views over te golf course and valley. We will return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for reviewing us. Come back to us soon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

April 2013
Junior Suite - Room #212.

My fiancé and I stayed at Bryn Meadows for 2 nights at the beginning of April 2013 (Tues-Thurs). It was easy to find, we were warmly welcomed, and check in was quick. Free parking is provided at the hotel and spaces were always easy to come across day & night (mid week). It's also worth saying that there are a number of deep pot holes on the public road leading up to the entrance from the roundabout which even significantly jolted my 4x4, so watch out for those if driving at night.

There is a large 24hr Tesco (+ petrol station) 5 minutes drive down the road for anything you may need or may have forgotten, and we were able to drive to Cardiff in around 30 minutes both in the evening & morning using the most direct route provided by our SatNav... A very straight forward journey. If shopping then try and park under John Lewis or other car parks around the main shopping district near Queen Street, these work out at just over £1 p/h up until about 4/5 hours when the price jumps up. The NCP car parks are extortionate (unless after 6pm where in some a £2.50 evening charge applies).

The Bryn Meadows hotel was immaculately presented throughout, and was very clean and tidy in all areas, including their own 'Blas Resteraunt'.

The resteraunt seemed to have a decent number of seats and was not packed out during our stay, however, recommendations that you book in advance suggest that if you ignore this tip at peak season or maybe on a weekend, then you may be left looking elsewhere for a meal, or making use of room service (+£3.50 tray charge). Their menu during our stay included a reasonable range of mouth watering options including 10oz rib eye steak, and my own choice: Lamb Shank. The lamb shank was amazing!!! It came with gorgeous tasting mashed potato, green beans and what I believe was a redcurrent gravy (I cannot remember & I am not pretending to be an expert)... All I know was that the meal was fabulous! - My scallops & butternut purée to start were also perfect! Unfortunately I was too full to try a desert but these too sounded very appealing! Service was quick & the waiters / waitresses were all very polite.

The Bryn Meadows Fusion Spa appeared very neat & tidy as expected. I did not use this facility so I cannot comment further, however, my fiancé took advantage of a 30 minute massage of her back, neck & shoulders. They were able to advise and take into account her being 16 weeks pregnant, and made appropriate adjustments. She was very happy with the treatment.

Leisure facilities include an 18m swimming pool (quite warm) with adjoined jacuzzi. The jacuzzi was a good size, good temperature but did not seem to work all over consistently. Maybe I was doing something wrong? There is also a hydro-spa which for people like me who have no clue what that is... is a jacuzzi type thing (not quite as hot) with overhead water jets also. They also have a sauna, and 2 steam rooms. These may have been different from one another somehow but I am unsure. The gym is compact but well equipped and tidy. There are a couple of instructors to help you with any questions / problems.

Changing rooms were clean and modern. Towels are provided (robes & slippers just to guests using the day spa). A good number of lockers. £1 each (returned after use). 3 or 4 nice hot power showers & 1 toilet cubicle in the men's changing rooms + 1 hair dryer.

Our Junior Suite bedroom (#212) had a great view over the golf course, nearby town, and across to what I believe were the snow capped Breacon Beacons? The room was clean & spacious. We were provided with a desk & lamp, sofa/bed & coffee table, flatscreen TV with a number of good quality channels, mini fridge (well stocked but with the expected accompanying premium prices), kettle & tea, coffee, biscuits & hot chocolate, and a king size bed. The room was ensuite with a bath/shower & TV to watch whilst soaking in the tub. However, this was only tuned to about 5 channels... an area which could have been improved on. In my opinion... If you're gonna do it... Do it right / well!. The room also had air conditioning which also doubled as heating (see following paragraph).

Unfortunately (and these are my only complaints about the hotel), our bed was very firm and pillows felt cheap. This meant an uncomfortable nights sleep 1st night (and a headache) & not too bad the 2nd... I guess we'd adjusted to it? I feel for a 4* hotel the mattresses & pillows should be upgraded to a better quality & more comfortable. Furthermore, the rooms 'heating' which works via the air con was noisey, and would not heat the room at all despite being left on full (28 degrees) for a prolonged period. This did not help the 1st nights sleep. However, to be fair when I mentioned this the following day the hotel provided us with a very small oil or electric heater which after a while did make a little difference. They did also offer a room swap but to be honest, I could not be bothered with the hassle, and also did not believe there to be a problem with heating in terms of it being broken as I felt warm air coming from the ventilation. I believe it to just be very ineffective. I know we are experiencing a prolonged winter, but the hotel should be equipped well enough to cope with this. I believe the ability for guests to create a warm & comfortable environment to stay in is a very basic requirement.

I know these complaints are quite an important part of the whole hotel experience, and yes they were frustrating, (Hence the 4/5* rating), but don't get me wrong... The Bryn Meadows Hotel is very nice & I would consider returning again (assuming the heating 'problem' had been addressed & if there was an option of a more comfortable mattress / bedding).

All in all we enjoyed a good weekend away & staff were all very pleasant and helpful. It's just a pitty that such simple things were missed and caused a 1* drop in my rating. I believe some guests who have a less balanced & critical approach to reviews may have scored lower if in our position.

• Stayed April 2013
Thanks for your review of your recent visit to us. I hope you are able to come back soon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

What a surprise!! Excellent service had by all staff members at the forum spa ..we opted for a treatment which I believed to be £62 and on arrival had 30% off!!absolute bargain especially in comparison with some spas in the South Wales area!! Downfall with this spa is that use of facilities is limited to 1 hour only for spa users however on departure we've booked again for a few weeks time with half day use of facilities for a bargain of £40 each!!really impressed particularly with the service and facilities .. Overall excellent!!

• Stayed April 2013
Simon D, General Manager at Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for your good review of our Spa. Please return to us soon.

Been to Bryn Meadows Golf, Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!