“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Big Creek Bridge, Valley Road, St. John's 00268, Antigua   |
Ranked #14 of 20 hotels in St. John's
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

I ended up having to extend my trip. Indeed a room I needed. Lucky I had went to a opening to a restaurant next door the owner got me room and Kez the owns son came over right away and took me to see the room I told him I could be the 2days or 6days I don't know. No problem and the price did not change. I seen him every 2 days and payed. I stay the six days and it was great. Friendly and refreshing for resorts are not my thing. Blitz bar and restaurant next door was great food is five star I ate like a king service out of this world. I meet lots of new friend. And oly a 100 feet to home a nice cool comfy quit apartment with nice staff. You want a place here. I was well taken care with five star food drink and comfort. No time for the gym but they got one too

• Stayed June 2013

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Kent, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Valley Creek was a great addition to my vacation. It was peaceful, quiet, off the beaten path......perfect! The service was exceptional and the room was spacious. During my three day getaway, it was a great fit for my relaxation in a tropical paradise.

NOTES: For future travelers, if planning on using the stove, make sure to ask if the gas is on. Kitchen is stocked for food prep, so a trip to the grocery would serve you well. I would advise a rental car if staying here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Portsmouth, Dominica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 days and I have to say it was pretty good. I chose it because of the positive reviews, location and price. Well first off I actually thought it was closer to St. Johns (Antigua's capital) than it turned out to be. It's about 15 mins drive away so don't be thinking that you're going to walk into the city. It actually felt like being in the country (John Denver stye) on a farm. The owner's younger son was even riding his donkey about. Luckily there is actually a busy road right outside the property and buses were plentiful, even on Sunday. Just EC$2.50 to the capital. Taxi to the capital is about EC$20.00. I did get charged more with an unconventional looking taxi though.
The hotel is in a rather isolated place, so you're not going to be making friends with any neighbours out there. Someone even asked me how I ended up "all the way out here". The building itself seems rather new, which is good as the rooms etc all have that new look and feel, as though I was the first patron. There may be around a dozen rooms total.
There was a dog running free in the yard that made me nervous at first but then I realised that it has a thing for vehicles. It barks at them religiously but seems very friendly with the people that come out of them. The dog actually ran out of the property (there's no gate) and up the road swerving in front of the taxi (every time) for about a hundred meters. I understand that it got run over once. I expect a second incident is on the cards soon.
The room itself has two levels. the lower level is a living space with kitchen, and table/chairs for eating. It is nicely and fully furnished, including a fridge, stove, microwave, sink etc. There is a flight of stairs leading to the upper level which is like a small loft with bed, A/C, shower/toilet, and a small wardrobe. It is quite comfortable, I slept great. I like the shower (no tub for the tub people), I am not a tub person or a fan of the "shower-in-the-tub" thing that most hotels do. I am a broadish guy and I showered very comfortably in this shower without my shoulders touching any curtains...the main reason I don't like showering in tubs. The secret here is the square shape of the bath. Give the water a while to warm up. The shower room tends to feel a bit warm though as the A/C is in the bedroom. There is also a cable TV in the bedroom high up on the wall.
There was supposed to be Wi-fi there but my Kindle Fire, which I've used successfully in airports and hotels, did not detect any. I ended up doing my thing in an internet cafe in St. Johns...it's just across the street from a Subway restaurant (if that helps). There is no phone in the rooms but the owner will let you use the one in the office.
The owner is very friendly and accommodating and will tell you up front that this is a self-service type budget accommodation. It is. She gave me a number to reach her and when I needed stuff like fresh towels, soap etc I actually sent her a text from my cell and a young lady soon came by with stuff. She also turned down the room after I discussed with her all the stuff I was needing. So it seems that things will get done at your request as opposed to automatically, but it was no struggle at all. Once you mention it it'll get done. She assured me I could reach her at any time of day or night.
There is a very spacious gym downstairs, in fact the whole downstairs of the main building seems to be the gym. It has a few basics there so don't expect to meet Gold's gym by any means. There is a bench-press rack and a few machines, and then a whole load of space. I got in a little chest pump one day.
There are two small wings attached to the main building. One has the office, and the other was under construction. The owner's bigger son was in there painting and what not while I was there. No idea what that will be. There also was no laundry there from what I could tell so maybe that will be one, who knows.
There was a building next door that was supposed to be selling sandwiches etc but it looks closed. I saw no signs of life coming from there for the time that I was there. About 5 minutes drive away though is a really top notch supermarket - forgot the name, starts with "J" I think - anyway, you can definitely stock your fridge there. When you go outside to catch buses you actually have to stand at the "bus stop". There is no definite structure from what I could tell but it seems that everyone understands that it's up the street about 20 metres near to the pole. The buses may not stop for you if you're not in the right spot so let the owner point it out.
The owner informed me on checkout day that she would not be around and directed me to give the keys to any of her sons or just place them in the office. I'd never had that happen in any other place I'd stayed before. That may not come down so well for people who need that meticulous checkout or have an issue to be dealt with. It worked well for me though since my flight was at 4.40 pm, which meant in a regular hotel with checkout at say 12 pm I was looking at a few hours to kill. This time I just chilled in my room until almost 3 pm and left the key in the office then off to the airport. That was very nice. Now the property is very open so I guess the potential is there for an 'incident' but it seems to be a bit too much trouble for trouble-makers to get to.
So the place in the end is a deal right now, depending on what you need. It is off the beaten track a bit. Would I stay there again? Yes, now that I know what to expect. If I want to be right in St. John's or close to something else specific then I may not. Once again it depends what I'm looking for. It was great for this trip since I was in all out leisure mode and just wanted a base to go to St. Johns and do an island tour.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Beautifully furnish room! Comfortable Luxury beds ,Air conditionrooms . The Peace The Quiet The Happy Feeling is Just Toooo Much For Words. II Would Go Back Tomorrow.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Antigua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

We came to Antigua with the whole family not sure if we could all stay together and feel comfortable, but this hotel fixed all that. We had enough space to live, a place to cook and a place to do laundry...what more can you asked for. I will come back anytime i return...love it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Brades Montserrat
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

Over the past year or so I have stated at VCH several times, on business-related trips of about one week duration each. The last trip was at the end of March this year (2011).

The staff picked me up -- at the Vere Bird Int'l Airport and at the Deep Water Harbour for different trips [about 15 - 20 mins travel time, off peak traffic hours, at the local speed limit, roads are LH drive, 2-lane asphalt top] -- and were uniformly courteous, friendly and supportive.

The first floor [UK count] apartments have been well laid out, with a kitchenette- dining- living area leading up a flight of stairs to a double bed and adjoining shower-bath, with cable TV. A/C is provided, but screened windows allow the trade winds to do a very good job of natural ventilation for those not happy with the artificial atmosphere provided by air conditioning. Just as is in the pictures in the hotel's own web site.

Temperatures in the EC are usually low-mid 80's F during day, sinking to 70's at night.

There is a parking area, there is a gym downstairs, and the 20 or 22 buses to and from the bus station in St Johns next to the Vere Bird statue/portrait -- painted in real life colours (how the old Greek statues really were) -- pass right by the front gate; just ask for the Gym over the Bridge.

A gas station with a convenience store is around the corner, on the road to the S. Across town, there are several reasonable supermarkets. Be prepared for Caribbean -- imported and dutied -- prices on grocery items. Be prepared for the same on gas prices.

The location, beyond "Golden Grove" [IIRC] and across from Big Creek, over the Chinese Friendship Bridge, is just outside of St Johns, about 1/2 mile from the State College. The road passing by the front leads on to the South part of Antigua.

The beach is a short hike away, though I have had no reason to use it.

(Maybe I should bring a travel rod with 6 or 10 lb thin diameter line and some 1/4 oz or so shad tail baits next time -- small, Walleye size will do, from experience on a next door island, 30 miles away; and in Barbados, 300 miles away -- and try for a jack or two; a sand-bug or a bit of shrimp should pick up a small pompano or croaker or small scaled threadfin or the like in the inshore wash or the first dropoff; panfish sized and fit for the pan too. That might be a useful early morning hike. The creek under the bridge may have interesting prospects, too.)

As a former graduate student who lived on the Mona Campus UWI Ja in a very similar apt [2nd floor, UK count] and as an owner of a Strata Plan 2-BR in New Kgn Ja of similar plan, this apt is suitable for the regional or international business traveller who wants a small and conveniently located hotel rm/apt to serve as a base for business operations, or for students in an offshore school.

Suitable for short trips or fairly extended stays for students at an offshore school or the like.

GEM of TKI

PS: By now, as you can imagine, the staff are friends not just arms-length business acquaintances. Typical of the Caribbean.

Room Tip: Ask for what is available and what is deisred