“A lovely peaceful base for the independent traveller” 4 of 5 stars

Anchorage Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Anchorage Road | P.O. Box 249, St. John's, Antigua   |
Ranked #6 of 15 St. John's B&B and Inns
Carterton, United Kingdom
“A lovely peaceful base for the independent traveller”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The hotel is quietly situated just outside St Johns and a 10 minute walk away from the beautiful Dickenson beach. Our studio room was not as well equipped as some we have stayed in - only cups and spoons provided with the fridge and microwave but the restaurant provided plates and cutlery. Also no hairdryer - but again one loaned from reception. The hotel is very calm and peacekeeping and if you prefer to be a little independant and away from the hustle and bustle it is ideal. The staff are absolutely wonderful and cannot be faulted. Fernando provides a little shuttle bus to take you to the beach but do also use the local buses - great value and a nice way to meet the locals. A huge supermarket just a few minutes walk away. Many thanks to all the lovely staff who
made our 2 week stay a very happy one- nothing was too much trouble and we felt we had made friends at the Anchoridge

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nikki S, Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
We are so happy you enjoyed your vacation with us! Come back any time to see all your friends here again!! You are right - the location of Anchorage Inn is a great base to explore Antigua from, or visit on a business trip. We have a new restaurant now tempting our guests with delicious freshly produced dishes with local ingredients, and are now designing a new web site. And the weather right now is absolutely beautiful!! Always improving!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
sugarloaf
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed at the Anchorage Inn for three nights. Arrived late and noone was there to meet me so I was offered a ride by a local who drives the flight crew to their hotels. Upon arrival I was put in
room #3 which was a very small, windowless room under the stairs. Next day I asked for another room and was given room #6 which was on the upper floor with windows, sliding door, and a great breeze so I did not have to use the AC. Used the nice pool but did not eat there. This hotel was one mile from the beach but too far from the town to which I took a local bus for 80 cents US. They run quite frequently and are actually vans. Depending on the time of the day, it takes about fifteen to twenty minutes to get to town. Also took local buses to the airport (if not staying in town, need two buses--less than 2.00 US). Since I am a fan of local food I asked the locals where to eat and they directed me to the RotiKing but on the way up I saw a
street vendor who was quite busy so I bought a curried chicken platter with pasta salad, dirty rice, veggie, plantains, and water for about $4US and it was delicious. Next day I got the lamb
chops which were excellent!!! Across the street was a local selling fresh fruit so that was my
breakfast for three days ($2.70 US). Finally went to the RotiKing and had a beef roti which was
what I expected and had in St. Vincent only not as tasty but good.
There were two huge cruise ships in the dock and a casino right nearby as well as all the shops
and tourist traps. Used the internet at Best of Books store: an hour for $5 US. Since there was
not much to see or do, I will not revisit Antigua. The locals were friendly, esp. the man selling the coconut milk which I love (he then scooped out the meat for you into a cup).

Room Tip: Upper rooms for fresh air. No amenities offered other than soap.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Nikki S, Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for your review of Anchorage Inn! You were very adventurous, exploring all over! I imagine the bus took a route to drop off and pick up into St John's, as it is generally a 5 minute drive! We offer a really great service for a very reasonable price, which appeals to business clientel as well as travellers coming to enjoy Antigua.
Wigan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

On a recent cruise to this part of the world my wife unfortunately fell ill and was hospitalized, The insurance booked this hotel for me. The hotel itself could do with a bit of refurbishing in places but is kept very clean and the staff are probably the most friendly and helpful I have ever come across.
The hotel is very quiet but only 5 mins drive from the beach and town

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nikki S, Manager at Anchorage Inn, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for your kind words on Anchorage Inn - you are right - I think we have the most caring genuine staff on this lovely island! I am so glad you found us excellent and do hope you come back and visit us again!
Pickering, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We recently stayed overnight at the Anchorage in Antigua when our ferry transportation to Montserrat was cancelled.. While the hotel is basic it was very clean.
We cannot say enough about Kamesha on the front desk who was extremely helpful and arranged for reliable and safe transportation to the airport. She helped us to make a number of calls to the ferry terminal and was very courteous. She was extremely busy as the hotel was very full due to two cricket teams staying there. Even though things were very hectic she provided excellent customer service and showed empathy for our situation.

Room Tip: I would choose an upper room as there is less traffic noise. I suggest room 10 as it was a little m...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Staff is really friendly and the service was great. The Pool is heated is at night which I absolutely loved. The hotel is beautiful and quiet. The only problem I had is with the amount of ANTS we had in the kitchen area. Now I know its common for a little ants to be in the kitchen area but it was so much ants that I lost a good amount of food that could not be stored in the fridge. We thought putting our cereals and other foods up high and sealed with plastic bags would work but it didn't. I made a complaint several times and was told about ants being common (okay fine) and that they would come and exterminate. If they exterminated I wouldn't know....the ants were definitely permanent residents. My friends staying next door did not have this problem. Overall, I had a great time staying at this hotel. It's five mins from town and beaches. Would recommend!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I stayed at Anchorage Inn for seven nights during my last business trip to St. John's. I decided to try this hotel after reading the reviews, but to be quite honest I am a little bit disappointed.

Although the Anchorage Inn has a very friendly staff and offers some of the basic amenities (A/C; cable TV; wire Internet access; microwave; small refrigerator; iron and board), however the room I got was a very small room, with hardly enough space to put my luggage. Another problem was the noise coming from the adjacent room ….they divided used to be one room into two single rooms, thus the separating wall is not insulated enough…. so you can hear every noise coming from the adjacent room (specially the closet door) as if it was taking place in YOUR room.

If still you decide to try this hotel, then avoid rooms 3, 4 and 5.

If you are in town for business then I doubt that's the place to go (I know I'll not go there on my next business trip to St. John's).

Room Tip: AVOID Rooms # 3, 4, and 5
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We recently stayed at the Anchorage Inn and I must say that the staff (especially Althea) made this trip so pleasant and an absolute joy. They go over and beyond to ensure that you are comfortable and enjoy Antigua to the fullest from management to the housekeeping staff and grounds men. We went during the off season, but the hotel did not make it seem as if any request was an inconvenience or unreasonable. In terms of customer service, I would definitely give them 5 stars. At no time, did they make you feel rushed but ensured that you felt as if you were on a true vacation.

Each of their rooms were named after a Caribbean Country which I thought was a unique and charming way to know the various countries of the Caribbean. We had a poolside view and the entire atmosphere was very reminiscent of what you expect a place in the Caribbean to look like – laid back and relaxing.

They helped us with ground transportation via Barry Oliver (who was our tour guide/ driver for most of the trip.) If you are staying there, I recommend that you ask them for Barry for transportation needs as he shows you around Antigua with the same friendly service and reasonable prices. He certainly was a lively person who made the stories of Antigua more personalized and interactive.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a good night sleep and friendly staff who will ensure that you enjoy all that Antigua has to offer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!