“Nice and Peaceful” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 15 St. John's B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Nice and Peaceful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Staff is really friendly and the service was great. The Pool is heated is at night which I absolutely loved. The hotel is beautiful and quiet. The only problem I had is with the amount of ANTS we had in the kitchen area. Now I know its common for a little ants to be in the kitchen area but it was so much ants that I lost a good amount of food that could not be stored in the fridge. We thought putting our cereals and other foods up high and sealed with plastic bags would work but it didn't. I made a complaint several times and was told about ants being common (okay fine) and that they would come and exterminate. If they exterminated I wouldn't know....the ants were definitely permanent residents. My friends staying next door did not have this problem. Overall, I had a great time staying at this hotel. It's five mins from town and beaches. Would recommend!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I stayed at Anchorage Inn for seven nights during my last business trip to St. John's. I decided to try this hotel after reading the reviews, but to be quite honest I am a little bit disappointed.

Although the Anchorage Inn has a very friendly staff and offers some of the basic amenities (A/C; cable TV; wire Internet access; microwave; small refrigerator; iron and board), however the room I got was a very small room, with hardly enough space to put my luggage. Another problem was the noise coming from the adjacent room ….they divided used to be one room into two single rooms, thus the separating wall is not insulated enough…. so you can hear every noise coming from the adjacent room (specially the closet door) as if it was taking place in YOUR room.

If still you decide to try this hotel, then avoid rooms 3, 4 and 5.

If you are in town for business then I doubt that's the place to go (I know I'll not go there on my next business trip to St. John's).

Room Tip: AVOID Rooms # 3, 4, and 5
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We recently stayed at the Anchorage Inn and I must say that the staff (especially Althea) made this trip so pleasant and an absolute joy. They go over and beyond to ensure that you are comfortable and enjoy Antigua to the fullest from management to the housekeeping staff and grounds men. We went during the off season, but the hotel did not make it seem as if any request was an inconvenience or unreasonable. In terms of customer service, I would definitely give them 5 stars. At no time, did they make you feel rushed but ensured that you felt as if you were on a true vacation.

Each of their rooms were named after a Caribbean Country which I thought was a unique and charming way to know the various countries of the Caribbean. We had a poolside view and the entire atmosphere was very reminiscent of what you expect a place in the Caribbean to look like – laid back and relaxing.

They helped us with ground transportation via Barry Oliver (who was our tour guide/ driver for most of the trip.) If you are staying there, I recommend that you ask them for Barry for transportation needs as he shows you around Antigua with the same friendly service and reasonable prices. He certainly was a lively person who made the stories of Antigua more personalized and interactive.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a good night sleep and friendly staff who will ensure that you enjoy all that Antigua has to offer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I just returned from a very relaxing vacation in Antigua and stayed at the Anchorage Inn. This hotel has what you need if you are looking for a place to relax with not alot of hustle and bustle. All the staff are extremely friendly and looked after my every need. Although it was a slow time, it was exactly what I was looking for. I could relax at the pool without any bothers or take the short walk to the beach for fun and drinks. The hotel grounds are kept clean and very beautiful. The room was clean and kept. If you are looking for a quiet place to stay and close to the beach, town, and local places such as restaurants and casinos this is the place to stay. The Anchorage Inn has just what you need to relax and have no worries! Thanks to all for a wonderful stay...I look forward to my return trip!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

My stay at the Anchorage Inn was very pleasant. The room itself was spacious and extremely clean with high ceiling and a balcony outside, a great value for the price. The staff members were always friendly and attentive when we needed any help. Great location also, only a short distance not only from town but a gorgeous beach. Would definitely recommend the Anchorage Inn.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Marktoberdorf, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

The hotel is clean, the rooms are large and well equipped (even German TV), a balcony with pool and sea view was also present. The staff is friendly and will help one in the tour booking. Unfortunately, there is only breakfast at the hotel (not very rich for the price) and you must go 10 minutes walk to the beach. For this, a large supermarket is just around the corner. Overall, I enjoyed the stay and can recommend the hotel at any rate, however, I find the whole room a bit high. In Antigua you will not find hardly a cheaper hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

According to the website of the hotel : "Each room has a private balcony". Well, mine had no balcony, as I think half a dozen of their rooms.
Room was quite small, with a large king size bed occupying most of the room area. Not a lot of space remaining for storing my stuff. When coming back from the beach, I always had difficulty to find a place to let my towel dry. The missing balcony didn't help. The room was clean. One problem of that room is that you have no privacy when the curtains are open, as all people of the other rooms pass right in front of the room's window to access theirs.
Location of the hotel is not bad, but you are a little bit in the middle of nowhere, near a large pond with a lot of birds. Take some time to look at the pelicans fishing there, it is amazing.
I went to the beach by foot, either to Runaway beach (by going around the pond clockwise) or Dickenson beach (around the pond anti-clockwise); something like a small half hour to go to either one. But be warned, the road is a little bit dangerous for pedestrians, as the drivers in Antigua drive very fast. If you stay for more than a couple of days you should consider to rent a car to be able to see more of the 365 beaches of Antigua.
Room had a fridge and a microwave (which was doing a terrific noise as the mechanism of the rotating table was broken). If you want to self-cater, one of the biggest supermarket of the island (named 1st Choice) is 10 minutes away by foot (on the left when leaving the hotel).
Free breakfast is composed of fresh fruit salad and a choice of either toasts and marmalade or pancakes, all freshly prepared for you on demand.
There is a good Internet connection (wired) in the room for free.
Taxi to/from the airport is USD16 and takes something like 15-20 minutes.

Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!