“Interesting, but expensive” 4 of 5 stars

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
“Interesting, but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Like everything else on the island, this tour was expensive!! We booked the Monserrat tour in advance on-line, which is $285 each with $10 off for booking on-line. The local tour gudes told us we should have booked with them and saved $20 (not sure if that's true). The office staff was polite to us but very rude to the local employee who got us checked in and weighed. I felt bad for him.

We received a thorough safety briefing before boarding the helicopter. We got in a 6 passenger helicopter, with one lucky one getting the front seat! The pilot seemed to engage more with the guy up front than with us, but his info was thorough and he gave us interesting facts about Montserrat. It was fascinating to see the island covered in ash and pyroclastic flow. Eventually, I lost my sense of concentration because of the sulphur smell from the volcano and the left-right banking of the helicopter as we circled the island. Take dramamine or bonine an hour in advance of your flight if you are prone to motion sickness. There are sodas and water for sale at the fort road location.

I would recommend this tour, but just be prepared!

13 attraction reviews
“Outstanding experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Breath taking experience.
Very professional and friendly service from start to finish.
An experience you will never ever forget.
To see monserrat from the air is amazing, and Steve the pilot was very knowledgeable.
Thank you all so much.

Lancashire, England
50 attraction reviews
“Brilliant trip to Montserrat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I booked the Montserrat trip before we arrived as a surprise birthday present. The staff were very helpful in providing me with directions, as we were using a hire car.
On arrival we were given an excellent safety briefing and we just waited for our boarding time. The trip lasted about an hour and it was amazing to see the island of Montserrat. I can't really describe the feeling of seeing the devastation caused by the volcano, but it was what I can only describe as being the trip of a lifetime.

Visited November 2013
Reading, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Saved the best till last”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We did the Montserrat helicopter trip on the same day as we flew home and what a amazing experience.
We arrived early and were made to feel very welcome by the staff everyone was very professional and helpful.
The trip itself takes about 50 minutes in total and it is something I would recommend everyone should do, yes it's not cheap but you get what you pay for.
My husband and son accompanied me on this unforgettable trip and even though my husband doesn't like helicopters very much he enjoyed the experience too and my son had the best view of all as he was next to Steve the pilot, he even got to see a turtle swimming in the sea on the way back from Montserrat
Thanks guys and Merry Christmas you made my holiday special

UK
34 attraction reviews
“Expensive. Good fun but views dependent on your seat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

My partner and I took the Montserrat flight. This cost $550 US for the two of us for about 45-50minutes flying. We enjoyed it and had some great views, but be warned, the view you get is dependent on the seat you are given. We flew in the 6 person helicopter with a family of 4. Everyone is weighed before going and seats allocated based on this. My partner, being 6ft 3, probably wouldn't have fitted in the back, and was lucky to be given the front seat next to the pilot. He had an amazing view from there. The back cabin has 5 seats, 2 rear facing and 3 forward facing. I had a rear facing and actually the view was pretty good, although I am sure not as good as my partners, and it would have been nice to share the experience with him rather than be separated. The person in the middle seat would have had a rubbish experience, as they would not have been able to see out the cockpit either. Plus that seat generally looked quite cosy, ok if they are your family but not if you are wedged between two strangers that you can't really lean over to look out. The pilot was knowledgable and gave good commentary, the views were great. I saw a turtle swimming down below. I have landed on Montserrat previously and been into the exclusion zone and this gave a different view of it. I don't think you can appreciate the depth of the ash from the air, but you can see the widespread devastation, and it was interesting to see the volcano venting. It is a bit like looking at a car crash, but interesting at the same time.
Overall a good experience but I would have felt short changed if I'd been shoved in the middle and my partner hadn't had the front seat!