“Exceptional” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Villas at Sunset Lane

Save Saved
You added The Villas at Sunset Lane to your Saves list
The Villas at Sunset Lane
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Sunset Lane | McKinnons, PO Box 403, St. John's, Antigua   |
Special Offer
5th Anniversary Special
Ranked #1 of 20 hotels in St. John's
Nova Scotia
“Exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The Villas at Sunset Lane is exceptional. The Villa itself is comfortable, but what makes it exceptional is the service, and the food.

It is in a residential area. There are no live bands, or pool staff trying to get you to dance, or play poolside bingo. It is very quite here, probably too quite for some. The entertainment is whatever you derive from interacting with the staff and your fellow guests. It is like living in a private villa, in which you are a guest. And that, I sense, is intended.

The rooms are clean, well appointed, and they look like new. The best view is from the patio off the dining room – every guest gets that view.

A tip for wine lovers: As stated, the food is exception. But the included wine is not, and there is no choice. If you enjoy decent wine with an outstanding dinner, then get Ryan to drive you to the liquor store (the Villa will drive you wherever you want to go, and like the food, it is included in the room price). Then give your wine to the Villa. They will serve it to you, white wine in an ice bucket at your table, the whole nine yards.

The Villa is not on the beach. But Ryan will drive you, and pick you up. My wife preferred to walk down (less than 10 minutes) and have Ryan drive her back. Personally, I found the beach stuffed to the high-tide mark with cruise ship passengers, hauled in by the bus load. I preferred the Villa’s pool, with a cold Wadadli in hand, and a sense of having arrived.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We searched and searched for the places we wanted to stay for our holiday to Antigua. We wanted a bit of luxury and a bit of authentic Antigua so first we chose Villas at Sunset Lane for the authentic part as we could see that we would experience the real island feeling as well as learn where to go/not to go from Jackie and Ryan. First mistake, we got all of what we expected at the Villas but the luxury was here also and despite going to "The Inn at English Harbour" for the second " luxury" part of our trip, after Jackie's cooking and overall hospitality of Jackie and her team we were never going to top this experience. I could go on and list all of the fantastic food we enjoyed and talk about the best Rum punch on Antigua but everyone has already said that and more. This is friendliest, cleanest, most welcoming hotel we have ever stayed at anywhere in the world and we have travelled a lot of places and paid much higher rates to stay at a lot less comfortable hotels. Food, we have never tasted food which makes your mouth go "zing" and "pop" and all those other superlative words that cooking critics come out with. We felt "smug" that we had been able to enjoy this superb food hosted by the wonderful Jackie.

Room Tip: Jackie has 2 rooms with lovely big beds and jacuzzi hotubs which are probably the ones to go for but...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

From the moment we began planning our trip to Antigua, Jackie treated us like treasured members of her family. She advised us on our plans, arranged for a charter boat excursion and made sure that our Antigua experience was beyond perfect! Ryan met us at the airport with some paperwork that we needed and took us anywhere we needed to go - and even got us into exclusive places that tourists don't generally get to see! Evelyn took care of us with great warmth and good humor - getting us a cold drink or a sandwich before we even knew we wanted it!

The rooms are beautiful and comfortable with spacious baths and lovely views. The air conditioning is individually controlled in each unit, but we always slept with the (screened) windows open for the wonderful night breeze.

The beautiful beach is about a 5 minute downhill walk, and a 10 minute walk back up the gentle inclined hillside - but Ryan is always available to give you a lift if you are feeling lazy. There are chairs on the beach for reading, nice little bars for a cool drink and we were never hassled by anyone on the beach! Everyone was friendly and eager to help us have the best experience.

Ryan took me into St. John's to shop one afternoon and I had a great time exploring the little touristy shops and street vendors. Without exception, the vendors were friendly and never pushy. I felt totally at ease shopping alone for little gifts for friends at home. Ryan also took us to the other side of the island one afternoon for a great lobster lunch on the beach. We felt comfortable, safe and welcome wherever we went.

But the star of all Antigua is Jackie! There are almost no words to express how warm, welcoming and wonderful Jackie is! She made sure we wore the right shoes for the adventure of the day, packed sandwiches for our lunch at the beach, gave us a cooking class, reminded us to apply mosquito repellent (although the mosquitos are worse in Wisconsin than in Antigua!!), filled our tummies with gourmet meals, and filled our hearts with happiness.

We wanted to stay forever! Thank you Jackie, Ryan & Evelyn for taking such good care of us. We will be back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Trevor Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

A small but very special place. Very close to the beach, but up the hillside with a spectacular view!
Jackie the owner also is a wonderful chef and had special fresh meals daily! Ryan had my coffee ready every morning and only needed to be asked once(open the blinds and it was there in minutes). Ryan drove us wherever we wanted and got us there safe even though people drove crazy there. Jackie took care of all our special needs and arranged whatever we needed., I also want to thank Evelyn who cleaned the suite and helped at meals. We will miss talking with you while we had our coffee on the balcony. I hope your little one is feeling better.. We already miss you guys! (and the FOOD!)

Room Tip: The suites were large and had a complete kitchen that we never had to use. The other smaller rooms...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed here overnight whilst I was in transit to Montserrat. If it wasn't for the fact that I had already booked my onward flight, I would have stayed right here for the duration of my holiday.
Jackie is the most fantastic host. I travelled as a single female and was made to feel welcomed and part of the family. I sat with her and her sisters in the kitchen whilst she prepared an evening meal for me fresh. We talked and drank local juices. I was then shown to my table out on the balcony, where I seduced by the view and the delicious meal.
My room was top class and I can’t thank Ryan enough for clearing the mosquitos that followed me in with his tennis racket looking tool, he took care of the others before I even got there.
I had an early start the next morning and Jackie made sure I had something to eat and take with me.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
If you are THINKING about staying here, DON’T THINK, JUST BOOK YOURSELF IN.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Fort atkinson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We first set foot stressed out when we arrived in Antigua. Our first two nights were at a hotel on the other side of the island. When we left our Hotel and arrived at the villas we new all stress was gone. Jackie and her staff greeted us with a lunch and drinks! Her food was the best and we never needed a menu. I think we took a picture of every meal. The view of the ocean from villas during the day and night is breath taking. Yes the water is really that clear and the staff is as amazing as everyone one has said. A special thank you to Ryan aka "Superman". The only downside that I can think of is that no other vacation we have can measure up to this one. First vacation I never had to plan a single thing. Jackie took care of it all and it was great to get to talk Jackie, Ryan and Evelyn. They felt like friends and made it hard to go home. Both my wife Emily and I want to truly say thank you again for the memories of a lifetime.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We were very fortunate to get to visit this resort while in port on a cruise. Ryan met us at the cruise port and brought us to the resort and later to the beach at Dickenson Bay. We were highly impressed with the facility and the picturesque views from the main house veranda. The beach was also fantastic. The owner/chef Jackie could not have been more hospitable and friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed visiting with her over a great shrimp pasta lunch (which happened to be on Thansgiving day). They are just starting to accept day visitors. It is well worth contacting Jackie prior to arrival to see if such a day visit is being offered. I guarantee you will enjoy your visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Villas at Sunset Lane? Share your experiences!