“When in Antigua - Stay There!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Villas at Sunset Lane

Save Saved
You added The Villas at Sunset Lane to your Saves list
The Villas at Sunset Lane
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Sunset Lane | McKinnons, PO Box 403, St. John's, Antigua   |
Special Offer
5th Anniversary Special
Ranked #1 of 20 hotels in St. John's
Brooklyn
“When in Antigua - Stay There!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My Lady and I stayed there for her birthday celebration for 5 days August of 2012. Upon arrival we were pick up ON TIME from the airport by Ryan (Driver/Porter) and at the property, welcomed by the warm/charismatic Jackie (owner). Jackie is the heart and soul of VASL. She is extremely organized and provides a personal touch unavailable at larger properties (Galley Bay/Sandals). The room (I recommend upgrading to the balcony suite) was super spacious, clean and well appointed with an updated bathroom and heated jacuzzi tub. One of the special things about this place is the cuisine. Jackie is a trained chef and will prepare pretty much anything you ask for breakfast, lunch and dinner. When we went to the beach (8 minute walk from property), she packed sandwiches for our lunch. Although the property is tucked away in a quiet residential area, Ryan, will drive you wherever you want to go...whenever you want to go. I once asked him "what time do you get off". He replied "Whenever our guests go to bed". Overall a lovely experience. When in Antigua - Stay There!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Balcony Rooms. Well worth the additional cost
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

106 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed with Jackie for 4 nights in April, and I cannot recommend this place enough. First, Antigua is a gorgeous island and it's probably the best beach & water we've ever experienced. The Villa is situated in the hills overlooking Dickenson Bay and is just above Sandals Resort to help give you an idea of where you'll be on the island. It is important to note that you are not on the beach, but the views of the tropical vegetaion and Caribbean are stunning. I will also point out that you can absolutely walk to the beach within 7-10 minutes, however, to get to the place where you'll get your chairs is at least another 5 minutes.

I'm not even sure where to start because there are so many good things to pass along. As in all of my reviews, I try to cover what I want to know when I use TA to plan all of our vacations. The Villa itself is immaculately clean and very spacious. We were there at the end of April and there was one other couple (honeymooners from Canada) and a local woman visiting family. Each afternoon we would come back from the beach and enjoy a refreshing swim in the pool and we always had it all to ourselves. We have never experienced anything like it in the Caribbean. We always stay at a beachfront resort where we've had to fight for chairs at 7:00am, eat cold buffet food, and listen to loud music at any given hour of the day. Here, it was unbelievably peaceful. There was nothing but relaxation. If that doesn't sound good to you, don't stay here. If you need exciting nightlife with a bar, dancing, loud music and lots of people then this is not the place for you. If you want time to reconnect with your loved one or just chill out, then you will find no better place. And the food. Oh my, what to say about the food.

It was the food that sold me in the reviews, and I was so afraid that it had been overhyped. It wasn't. Believe it. The woman can cook. I ate things I NEVER would have eaten at home. I ate a whole fresh fish (I looked it in the eye), and Jackie taught me how to debone it. My husband and I fought over the last scraps as we picked them clean. I ate salted fish in fried dough buns for breakfast. It was unreal. Not only do you get to pretend that you have a private villa, but you get the luxury of a true chef catering to your every need. It is very clear that Jackie takes great pride in what she does and she passes that along to her guests. Do not even pretend to be on a diet here. Eat the carrot cake. We did...every night. The house white wine is fantastic and we consumed at least 2 bottles a day (sorry Jackie!). One night, we sat on the terrace with the other couple and Jackie came out and joined us. We sat and talked together for 2 1/2 hours like old friends. Again, if you need the anonymity of being at a large resort where you never engage with anyone else, don't come here. If you want truly warm hospitality & genuine interest in your comfort, this is the place to find it.

We stayed in one of the end rooms which was a Premium Suite. It was terrific and so private. Our door opened onto the patio but there was never any noise to disturb us. The room was very spacious, the bed was super comfortable, the AC was good & there was a ceiling fan, cable tv with lots of US programming, the bathroom was huge (and nicer than ours at home), and there was a basket with water, soda, mini rum bottles, and granola bars. I recall seeing at least one review that commented about watching your bill for additional food or drink charges. This is an all-inclusive resort. There were no additional charges at any time. Between us & the other couple, we drank the place dry of cold wine & beer every single day and we consumed everything in our basket in our room during our stay. If you need tropical frozen drinks with umbrellas, there is no bartender here. We were content with the Caribbean beer & wine so it didn't matter to us. If you need mixed drinks, I would recommend grabbing a bottle of liquor at a duty free shop and bring it with you.

I cannot offer any suggestions or recommendations for any tours or things to do. We got up, ate breakfast, walked to the beach, came back, swam in the pool, drank, took a nap, watched the sunset, ate dinner, talked, then went to bed. Press repeat for 4 days. Four glorious days. Had we wanted to do anything, Jackie could have arranged it for us. Her driver Ryan picked us up from the airport and took us back to the airport, and on our first day he drove us down to the beach and showed us where we could find chairs. Once the gentleman at the beach bar knew that we were with Miss Jackie, there was no charge for the chairs. We did buy beer from him each day, though. The beach itself is just gorgeous with the softest white sand and beautiful water. It was so uncrowded, too. If you are trying to decide on a time of year to go, the end of April was spectacular. The weather was postcard perfect and there were days when we were the only two people actually in the water at the Bay.

I take vacationing very seriously. I plot & plan and use this site for all of my decisions. I was very torn between the Villa and Galley Bay because with Galley Bay, I knew what to expect from a big beachfront resort. I took a leap of faith with choosing the Villas at Sunset Lane and put my trust into my other TA advisors. I now pass that on to you. Stay here. It will be the most memorable Caribbean vacation you ever have. And all of your friends will be very, very jealous.

Room Tip: Our premium room was very private & large.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Spent five glorious days at this property in July with my wife.
Jacqueline and her team were excellent hosts. They all go the extra mile to ensure your enjoyment. The food was varied and outstanding with a wide menu featuring local as well as international dishes prepared on request.
The room was first class and the bathroom exquisite general atmosphere is extremely welcoming. Only moment of sadness was when I had to leave. I highly recommend this place. It is an experience I want to repeat very soon.

Room Tip: i had a suite looking onto well kept gardens.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Villas at Sunset Lane for a few nights in April 2012 and we both absolutely loved it. Our room was spacious, meticulously clean and well appointed. The property was located about a ten minute walk from a very quiet beach and the hotel's pool was clean and never over run with other guests. Finally, the food was amazing and the dining area offered great views of the ocean.

The real draw to this property though is Jackie who makes every aspect of being a guest in a hotel amazing. She and her team went to great lengths to make our trip wonderful. She and her team helped with renting a car, giving us the lay of the land and introducing us to the bartender who ran the beach-side bar near the hotel.

Jackie's cooking is absolutely wonderful and we looked forward to every meal we had. She keeps an open kitchen policy so we could help ourselves to drinks whenever we wanted. She also encouraged us to visit her in the kitchen while she prepared our meals so we can learn how some of our meals were cooked.

Everything about our stay was fantastic and my girlfriend and I regularly talk about coming back to stay at the Villas at Sunset Lane the next time we take a beach vacation.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

If you want a nice, quiet place with no children (under 16) this is for you. Owner/Chef Jackie is wonderful. Jackie was in contact with us months before our trip. She let us know of tours available and gave us costs. We arranged everything through her. She is very personable and gives one on one attention to everyone. The rooms are fresh and clean and has new flowers everyday. We arrived at 10:30 p.m. and Jackie had a meal ready for us - we were so happy after 13 hrs of traveling. The beach is only 5-10 minutes walking distance and they have a very nice pool right there at the villa. Jackie serves meals whenever YOU want and finds out your dislikes ahead of time. Her food is delicious. Ryan will drive you wherever you want to go and has a wealth of information. Be sure to ask him to take you to the grocery store - you will be in for a shock! Jackie has done a wonderful job keeping attention to detail and loves to get ideas from you. Unless you like noisy places, you will truly love this place. Consider it for a business retreat too. Call Jackie directly at Sunset Villas.

Room Tip: The back side has an ocean view, but I don't think there is a "bad" room!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I stayed at the Villas at Sunset Lane with my boyfriend for 5 nights at the end of March. We had an amazing experience! The accommodations were perfect for us...a private boutique hotel, set up on a cliff with the most breathtaking view and still just quick 7 minute walk to the beach. The owner, Jackie, is so sweet and such a fantastic cook, I really enjoyed getting a taste of the islands and Jackie's rich history with each meal.
The island is bigger than it appears so you can be travelling for up to an hour at times, depending on what part of the island you are trying to get to, but we didn't have to worry about this at all! Instead of having to deal with cabs or buses, we had Ryan. Ryan works around the property and doubles as driver for her guests. It was soooooooo convenient and allowed my boyfriend and I to truly relax and take it all in.
Living in NY, it is sometimes a challenge to let the city go and enjoy your time off, but with Jackie and Ryan and the rest of the staff's help we were able to decompress immediately. Exactly what we needed. I want to go back now!!!

Room Tip: We chose one of the standard rooms so our room didn't have a view of the water, but we didn'...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We absolutely loved this hotel. We booked on the basis of other tripadvisor reviews, and Jackie Thomas, the owner and chef, and her fine team (hello Ryan and Doreen) gave us one of the great hotel experiences of our lives - not just fulfilling our high expectations but exceeding our hopes. Not only is the hotel remarkable value for money, beautifully appointed (great beds!), boutique but unpretentious, exceptionally clean and well-managed, offering sensational home-cooked food while you enjoy the pleasure of the lovely vista; it does what the bigger, more commercialized places can never do: it gives you the human touch, and the feel of home from home. And so from the moment we arrived, we knew we were in the hands of someone who cares deeply about her guests' welfare and enjoyment.
Immediately upgraded to room 4 (recommended) and plied with home-made food and drink (much appreciated after an Atlantic flight), we were looked after, day after day, in the most generous, thoughtful and accomplished ways. Jackie also took time and pains to organize excellent day trips (Barbuda is a must), car hire, trips into town... and I also enjoyed the best massage of my life from Barbra, the massage therapist.
In short, I recommend this hotel to all who have ears to hear. If you value attention to detail, value for money and a calm, beautiful, relaxing ambience, you cannot go wrong here. The Villas at Sunset is an absolute gem of the Caribbean.

Room Tip: We loved room 4 - spacious, well-appointed, with an exceptionally comfortable, large bed.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Villas at Sunset Lane? Share your experiences!