“Great time at DB Cottages” 4 of 5 stars

Dickenson Bay Cottages
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   Dickenson Bay, St. John's, Antigua   |
Ranked #3 of 15 St. John's B&B and Inns
Burlington Ontario
“Great time at DB Cottages”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Just got back from 10 days at the Dickenson Bay Cottages, lovely place, clean, friendly, great pool and quiet. Free computer access at the office, and vouchers for free sun beds at Tony's on the beach, big savings. Just a grand place to stay.
You have to traverse two short but steep hills to get to the beach about a 5 min walk, it gets easier every day. You can catch the local bus at the bottom of the hill into St John's otherwise its taxis. Closest food store about a 5-10 minute drive, great selection. The little store near the Sandles was closed when we were there, so stock up on your way in from the airport.
Beach is lovely can be busy when the boat people arrive, ie cruise folks, but still lots of room just get there a bit early and use the free vouchers, food and drink is readily available

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Finnish first
Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed in this villa with my family which consisted of my 2mth old daughter, 3yr old son and husband, It was wonderful, our villa was clean and well maintained, the kitchenette was actually stocked with cooking utensils, the pool was fantastic, I would strongly suggest you rent a vehicle to get around because to get to the grocery is a long drive and the taxi service is not so through, so if you don’t have a vehicle, you will definitely need to stock up on food before you get there. I had to pay for wireless internet though. The staff was friendly and helpful. I totally enjoyed my stay here and on the island, already making plans to return. If I didn’t rent the vehicle I probably won’t have stayed there because of the location and having to travel with kids to much hustle. But the island itself… well, Come and see for yourself… you won’t regret it …. : )

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
East Orange, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I am not that difficult to please. Give me a clean room, with functioning amenities an internet connection (preferably fast) and I am good to go. DBC has everything you need for a quiet, safe, enjoyable vacation.

Why write this review? To inform you of how DBC strive for excellence in customer service, which, in my opinion, is how issues are resolved.

I had a plumbing issue in my unit - low water pressure. Water would flow slowly at the kitchen sink but no water upstairs to the bathroom. This was reported and fixed within 2 hours. The following night I found myself in the same situation - apparently the problem had only been temporarily resolved by the maintenance crew. I re-reported the problem that night and first thing in the morning a plumber was on site with a permanent fix.

No reasonable person expects everything to be perfect but we do expect issues to be resolved promptly - and in this case it was.

Overall I had a very enjoyable stay at DBC. Kudos to management and especially Janice in Housekeeping. This was first time there but it will not be my last.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Manhattan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I had both pluses and minuses at Dickenson Bay Cottages. Stayed here for over a week for business/vacation and locked in a cheap rate by my company, especially for Antigua in winter. I have been to Antigua over ten times now and stayed in a variety of hotels including Halcyon Cove, Carlisle Bay, Blue Waters, Antigua Village, etc. Carlisle Bay is my top choice and I would stay there anytime. However, you'll have to pay of course!

Major issue: Given the parking lot near reception and small and typically filled, I often parked my rental car right on the main road, next to the Dickenson Bay sign. Guests seemed to do this regularly. I found out one morning that all my tires were stolen! The manager of DBC was proactive with getting in contact with them and informing me of the situation. I am curious if the night security guard walks around this edge of the property at night?

Recommendation: Park at the upper lot if at all possible. Bigger/non-boutique hotels have large secure lots. It obviously is a different story when you stay at a villa and park on a main/public road. However, that's all which was available at the time.

PROS:
- I liked the rooms. They were large overall and the duplex setup was unique. It was great to have a stove, fridge, etc. Furniture dated but comfortable overall.

- Patio was convenient and a nice place to chill.

- Property is very pretty and the groundskeepers do a great job of keeping everything in order.

- Smaller hotel and it is actually relaxing. Nothing like the large resorts in Antigua. I liked the feel as it was pretty chill overall.

- Guests were very friendly overall. Lots of Canadians at this particular property for some reason.

CONS:
- Not on the beach. You'll need to walk up and down the hill to get to Dickenson Bay/Halycon's Beach. However, by reading these reviews, you'll already know the location of the property. I was aware beforehand. I personally prefer beach hotels but this is what was booked for me.

- Internet was HORRIBLE!!! Maybe things changed since last winter; however, it seemed non-existent during my 7+ days on the property. E-mails would not even send. DBC does charge for internet which I considered a crime. Luckily, this was not included in my final bill. I would have refused to pay anyway since it was so lacking. Perhaps this has been improved? Every other property I have stayed in in Antigua had better internet, even Halcyon Cove.

- Stolen tires. Put a big damper on my stay and it was super frustrating. I wish there were more space to park "uphill" during my stay and this may have been avoided. Winter is obviously prime-time for this country and lots of the guests had rental cars.

- Plumbing issue. Bathroom would make a CRAZY amount of noise at night and constantly flush. Supposedly a new part was needed to be ordered to fix this. I ended up unplugging the cord which shut off the toilet completely. Would just plug in when needed. Thank goodness I was able to move rooms!!! No problems with the new villa.

OVERALL:
Decent boutique hotel/villa that is relatively inexpensive for Antigua, $125 in the warmer months and $170 during the high/winter season. It's a comfortable option, especially if you want your own fridge, kitchen, etc. You'll save money by buying groceries at First Choice (down the road) and making breakfast/lunches. Go out for dinner if you can, as Antigua has some nice restaurants that are relatively close-by.

Personally, I would pay a bit extra and stay down the hill and 'round the corner at Buccaneer Beach. Right on the water, priced well, restaurant on-site, and internet works just fine.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Pros:

• A really polite, helpful and responsive staff (thanks Karimah, Chris, Forbes and Thor!).
• Clean, quaint and quiet, away from the touristy crowds down the hill.
• Beautifully landscaped grounds.
• Great access to the beach (5-10 minute downhill walk).
• Guest very mindful and respectful of the privacy of others.
• Kitchenette available for preparing meals, great for those travelling with kids or on a budget.
• My cottage had a nice private, garden-level patio.
• Clean swimming pool with a nice view of the sea.
• Rental of a safe for valuables available upon request.
• Outdoor gas-fired grill available upon request.
• Taxis readily available down the hill at the Halcyon Cove.

Cons:

• Unless you are driving (UK-style), it is somewhat difficult to access other sites and conveniences such as groceries from the Dickenson Bay area.
• I found the interior furnishings somewhat outdated.
• Although there are lots of cable stations to choose from, the television was only about 13 inches – very difficult to see from across the room.
• Spotty Internet access.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

we really enjoyed our week here. we had just come from a hotel stay in St. kitts and decided to cook for ourselves 6of the 7 nights. It had a great kitchen and also a gas grill out by the pool. they do have a slight charge for the grill but that was ok as the staff would clean and prepare it for your use. Go to Epicurean grocery store and stock up as it's a $12 dollar cab ride there. but the store is huge and has everything. There is also another large grocery store that you can hike to. The cottages are clean and comfy. the staff very friendly. Kremilita (?) is in the office and she is amazing. If you want something or want to tour or fish, whatever, she is the go to woman. I enjoyed just lounging around the pool and enjoying the quiet.

Room Tip: Ask which rooms are available and what the configuration of it is. Different floor plans available.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

We stayed at Dickenson bay cottages for 10 nights this february and found them to be clean and comfortable and enjoyed our stay. The cottages our 15mins walk from dickenson beach and a good choice of restaurants the best for breakfast and dinner we found to be was coconut grove nice fresh food reasonably priced it has a french chef and it shows.The is a great store and veg/fruit seller near beach but it is worth going to the big supermarket to stock up walkable if fit or 10 mins by taxi.First time in antigua found to be much nicer than barbados (less hassle and friendly people) met an Italian couple who were very nice and they also said they would return again. Staff great, manager does need to remember to smile very nice though.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dickenson Bay Cottages? Share your experiences!