“Lovely staff, lovely place!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Stay with us and save 30%
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in St. John's
Zurich, Switzerland
“Lovely staff, lovely place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I can only recommend Siboney. Wonderful location, great beach to relax on or take a run early in the morning! We loved the atmosphere of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff! We will be back, thanks so much for making our stay so wonderful!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I read the other reviews and wondered how I would like Siboney Beach Club. We are leaving today and we found this resort to be a great place to stay.

It is closer to Sandals than I would have liked but that was only a problem on Whitsunday, when the drums and music boomed from Sandals until midnight.

The beach is small but lovely, and it wasn't particularly a problem but when the cruise ships are in, the cab drivers have a deal with the restaurant and so they bring them to this beach. Fortunately, we hired a car so when the ships were in, we went to other beaches farther from town. There were cruise ship passengers there too, but fewer. And less vendors hawking their wares as they do over on Dickenson Bay.

The room was small, but the space is laid out smartly. The kitchenette is a galley style and is contained in a long closet in the hall between the sitting area and the bedroom. The sitting space is small, but clean and comfortable. There is a table to eat at. The bedroom was a nice size, and I know some reviews called the furnishings dated but I would say they were simple and classic. And clean.

Some reviewers complained about ants and mosquitos. I have to assume these people haven't travelled much.....hello, you are in the tropics, at 17 degrees latitude. So, yes, there are Mosquitos but not as bad as was suggested. The ants were in the kitchen especially when it rains but they are the very teeny tiny kind and again, this is a tropical climate. So we kept food in the fridge and removed ants before making anything.

The pool area is nice, back in the garden, but they turned off the water circulation every evening and forgot to turn it back on on the Monday holidayn, so the water got cloudy, and I didn't want to get in, we reported it to the office but the person on staff at that point didn't seem to appreciate the implications of a pool without circulation.

Other than that, the staff was wonderful, helpful, and responsive. The cleaning staff were very nice and did a great job. Tony, the owner, is an institution on this island, and it was evident that there is mutual respect between his staff and him. The recommendations they made for places to eat we're spot on and met our expectations. This included the massage therapist they have an arrangement with.....Barbara is truly a gifted healer and the massage was one of the best I have ever had.

I agree with many reviewers.....this is not a mega resort or a place trying to be a five star hotel. But it is an excellent moderately priced establishment that delivers a great experience in a small boutique setting. I liked it very much.

Room Tip: I would avoid Room 1. It is great to be on the ground floor but since it is closest to the office...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Another visit to Siboney proved as wonderful as the first time...but this time the weather was absolutely perfect too, to add to the perfect location. If you've read reviews by folks that weren't so impressed, please note that Siboney is not for everyone...thankfully! It is a very special, chilled out, low key, unpretentious, lovely little paradise, NOT INTENDED FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR BOOMING DISCOS, hundreds of people on the beach, in the bar, in the restaurant and activities going on every minute.....those folks should go straight to Sandals down the beach aways. Siboney is for people who want to escape all that and have a quiet, sweet time with nary a soul in sight.
The staff is exceptional, friendly, laid back and very helpful and accommodating. The rooms are charming, clean and have everything you need. Siboney never disappoints those who like to hide out from all the noise!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
aiken
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Hard to believe we stayed at the same place as the March 2013 review. We found the Sibony Beach Club to be a wonderful place to have stayed during our April of 2013 vacation to Antigua. The owner Tony Johnson was a most interesting and pleasant gentleman to talk to and his staff was very friendly and helpful, guiding us to some wonderful restaurants and setting up excursions! Although we were on the same stretch of beach as the Sandal's Resort we had a little area of beach, kind of its own little cove, that made you feel you were on a small beach of your own. Our room was cheery and clean. It had a small kitchen area with a stove top (no oven) that was great for preparing small meals and snacks. Our room happened to overlook a beautiful garden area with a pool. Would we return to the Sibony Beach Club if in Antigua again? The answer is YES!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Newport, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I just finished reading the YAPhank ysandman 14 paragraph excruciatingly detailed review of Siboney Beach Club and feel compelled to reply. My wife and I have vacationed at Siboney for almost three weeks a year since 1991. We have found the staff to be friendly, responsive and extremely helpful. The "old white gentleman with the British accent" whom they speak of is Tony Johnson, the owner of the property, who built the property decades ago, is meticulous in its upkeep and takes justifiable pride in the little spot in paradise that it is. Siboney is not for the traveller who is used to the mundane sameness that chain hotels offer, nor is it a faux Caribbean resort complex such as Sandals, further up the beach. Rather, it is a touch of true Caribbean peace and beauty, reminiscent of earlier times in island history. The tropical garden and pool area are truly spectacular, the beach is small and beautiful and the rooms are airy, cheerful, tastefully decorated and only steps from the water.
It is unfortunate that this couple quibbled away their vacation with trivial issues. Yes, there may be ants in Antigua as well as the rest of the tropics, yes, check- in mess-ups can occur(theirs was apparently was straightened out, albeit not at the breakneck pace they demanded) and yes, people may talk more loudly than they should in the morning. Likewise, I have occasionally encountered many of these problems in various places I have stayed, including some of the most prestigious properties in the world. But these problems do not warrant the energy and attention taken in their review given what I have seen to be the overall appeal of Siboney in more than 20 years of gratifying visits. This property is a unique Caribbean gem and represents one of the best values of any resort on Antiqua.
If you are looking for your own little piece of paradise combined with the friendliness, attentiveness and knowledgeability of some of the nicest people ii have ever met, Siboney Beach Club is for you.
Sailaw (Ron@Ronna
Newport, R.I.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper two floors have views of garden and/or water
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Terryville, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Not sure about that last review...If you want a place 1/3 the price of Sandals, that's impeccably clean, with a great restaurant, fun bar and friendly locals, this is your place. Highly recommended. Not one problem encountered, no mosquito issues or overwhelming ant problem. Yeah, there's a few bugs around, ummm, it's tropical, what would one expect. Will be back.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Yaphank
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We visited Siboney Beach Club in middle of march and stayed there for 2 nights.

The Good:

The beach that this hotel is on is quite beautiful, yes small but the sand is silky and the water clear blue, no coral and no seaweed. Makes swimming quite enjoyable.

Management provided a complimentary bottle of wine since we were celebrating a special occasion. Nice touch!

The room was big, with plenty of light, and good air conditioning in the bedroom (no air in living room, but air flow was good and place felt fine).

The BAD:
While we didn't find the staff rude, we didn't find them very friendly either. Some cracked a few jokes at our expense several times (older white gentleman with a british accent), which I don't find professional or welcome.

When we arrived at the hotel we pointed out that there was an issue with the charges, they had overcharged us for the stay. We were due a refund, and brought all the paperwork for them to make the matter go as smoothly as possible. They took all the information that we provided and said that someone will be in later on and will handle the matter and give us a call. Well no one ever called us to rectify the issue. I approached the front desk again the night before we were leaving to kindly remind them that no one had spoke with us about the wrong charge. The woman looked at me in amazement and said "really," that is all she had to offer me. No apology, no indication when we should expect to be contacted, just a mere "really" and a confused look. I had to ask if she thought that it would be handled by the time we would be checking out and she said "I think so." Personally that's just not a professional way to conduct business or run a company. If a hotel or resort makes a mistake and OVER CHARGES a guest, I would think they would be a little more concerned about getting the matter settled, instead of the guest having to remind them about it on a few occasions.
We didn't want to be pushy about the matter and always approached them with a smile, but apparently being nice no longer gets you anywhere, I guess we should have lived up to our stereotype and been the typical "irate americans" and then the issue would have been resolved promptly. It's sad that patience, a smile, and a nice demeanor no longer gets you anywhere.

The room itself was VERY worn down. I always try and give places the benefit of the doubt, something that is old and has history to me is usually charming..... yea not this place. Really it's just old, period. The other issue was ants, they were everywhere. We did no have ANY food in the room and still, just swarms of them. We tried dealing with it best we could, spraying the area with spray that was provided in the room and killing as many as possible. But 30 minutes later they were back.... Not a deal breaker, but definitely annoying to have to deal with that.

They provide a Brita water pitcher which looked like it hasn't been cleaned in months. There was brown residue all over the pitcher and the filter was covered in it too. The thought is nice, but if your going to provide something like that you should make sure its useable, otherwise no sense in providing it.

We were woken up both mornings at 7am by people talking outside, this place has zero soundproofing.

The 1st day we were there there was someone on the beach that asked us if we stayed at the hotel and provided is with loungers, the second day we couldn't find anyone and there were no loungers available on the beach, went to the front desk to inquire what we if there was anyone around to get a lounger from and we were told to go to the pool area take loungers from there and carry them onto the beach..... again not a deal breaker, but where is the service aspect?

Oh and the icing on the cake. Our 1st night we laid on the bed quite a while chatting about how excited we were to be on vacation and also read for some time. When we were finally ready for bed we climbed under the sheets and my husband jumped out of bed immediately. We lifted the top sheet/cover to find crumbs and a fish bone on the bed!!!! Really! Made me wonder what else was just not cleaned in the room.... I mean, I am an understanding person, but how exactly does one make the bed and not realize that there are crumbs and a fish bone (was not even a small one) get left behind. Me and my husband tried to make a joke and say maybe this was like a little spell to make our marriage ever lasting and happy, but in reality c'mon guys! To their credit when we called the front desk, they apologized and came up 20 minutes later with fresh sheets and remade the bed.

If I was the manager or owner of that hotel, I would be mortified. I would have probably personally called the guests to apologize and maybe even go out of the way to make things better. Maybe a complimentary drink or breakfast, something....anything..... again even a personal phone call would have been nice.

Take away message, I wouldn't stay here again and would't recommend this establishment to friends. I'm sure our experience just had all the perfect bad things happen to ruin it for us, but in the end we were in no way happy with our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
The Villas at Sunset Lane
The Villas at Sunset Lane
#1 of 17 in St. John's
5.0 of 5 stars 128 reviews

Been to Siboney Beach Club? Share your experiences!