“Did not Disappoint” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in St. John's
Reigate, United Kingdom
“Did not Disappoint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stayed here as a couple last week in August first week in September.. I had reservations as we have not been to hotel which had young children for a long time, we stayed in Cove 1 and initially was sandwiched between 2 families this was not a issue as the resort was so quiet you could avoid children if you wanted. The rooms were nice and well appointed and the air con worked great .. I do think that a small investment into better hair dryers as the ones in the rooms really are not great for drying hair.. The beds were really comfy . We had not appreciated that is was just going off season as the resort was at less than 50% capacity. This was not a real problem other than the restaurants were on a rota therefore limiting options.
Resort lovely layout wonderful grounds and the most friendly staff I have ever met.. Big thank you to Gwen and her team who looked after us at the Cove. The staff at the palms restaurant we wonderful and they know your name and what you like to drink at lunchtimes... Nice touch. The food at the Palm was consistently good and I know that the new chefs are working to improve standards. The cove restaurant was in a lovely location and the food was good but not good enough to warrant a supplement again I think they are working to make this a noticeably more refined restaurant but there is still a bit further to go and I think that when you only have the Cove to choose from then the supplement on top of the AI should not be charged. Bartlets ran on a menu per week and the food here was good and the staff welcoming .. You have to try the Antiguan curry if it is on the menu.. Lovely. I think because of the small number of guests we did aanot get the choice that you would in a busier season. All the staff and just so nice go and see Carolyn at Carolyn's bar her cocktails are delicious and she will keep you chatting as long as you want.. In the pelican bar is where you will find Pearl possibly one of the nicest people I have ever met.. She will look after you.. And so will Angela whose laugh is infectious we really miss you guys and Pearl the pot was Richards Mums ... The front desk staff and Jason on tours are also really helpful.. If you only do one trip do the extreme boat trip round the island it was well worth the money and a great day out .
If I had to really criticise anything it would be that the adults only pool did not have any atmosphere No bar and no pool service...the other 2 pools both had bars this was just something we thought would be nice if you wanted to be away from children. We had a couple of days when there was no pool service at the cove pools but you could phone but I always felt guilty doing this as the mini bar was fully stocked and we could do our own .
Thank you to Solider and the water sports guys for teaching my other half how to sail the hobbie.. He had a great time.. We used the spa for. Massage , facial and a blow dry it was lovely and the staff knew their stuff. All in all if I came back to Antigua I would have to come back to Blue Waters because it was just lovely and relaxing .

Room Tip: We stayed in Cove 1 but all the rooms looked good it's not a big resort walking Round is easy
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters, and that the resort's facilities and level of service were of an impressive standard.

The Blue Waters Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Had a wonderful family holiday here, staff were brilliant, the food was superb, entertainment was exciting and the facilities were ace. Really enjoyed the food on the buffet spread, so much to choose from. The activities on offer like snorkeling and boat rides were very well done & the instructors were delightful :) I would defiantly go back here & recommend it to others! A++++

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Weybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I should probably mention from the start that even though this is an overwhelmingly positive review – I am not employed by Blue Waters!

From the moment we arrived to the day we left we were made to feel welcome at this wonderful hotel – the management team greeted us while we were waiting in the reception area (this is a first for me – Anderson, the General Manager was visible throughout our stay and often stopped for a chat).

We were fortunate enough to stay in one of the rooms at Turtle Cottage and if you can afford it do try to book one of these rooms (or the Cove Suites, Pelican Cottage). The room was huge, more than adequate for my husband, myself and our 5 year old daughter. The furnishings are modern, clean lines and the views from the balcony are breath-taking. You have the option to have the room cleaned daily which isn’t necessary, and even on the days we opted for no cleaning the team still popped in to check that everything was okay.

The facilities are of a very high standard, three good size pools (one of which is adults only) and two of these have pool bars. It wasn’t very busy while we were there so we had no problems finding the perfect sun lounger and even moved around from pool to beach depending on the location of the sun. We didn’t use the tennis court or gym (too busy relaxing) but both seemed to be quite busy. The only negative I could possibly find is that it would be ideal to have a toilet facility nearer the pool especially when travelling with children.

Our daughter loved Kids Club – Shellene and Leslyn were friendly and professional. We usually only make use of the clubs for a few hours per day while on holiday but on this occasion my daughter insisted on spending more time there. She made beaded bracelets, had her nails painted, played football, etc and was always laughing when I collected her. Shellene also babysat for us on two occasions and we had no problems leaving her in charge of bedtime.

The meals at Blue Waters were really good and while I understand that some people were expecting gourmet style cuisine I think that bearing in mind the quantities they are producing they did extremely well. Breakfast is at The Palm each morning – good variety, lovely omelettes freshly made and great service. My daughter will only drink fresh apple juice with no ice and after the first day or two I think every staff member knew her order without having to ask. I enjoyed the range of fresh fruit available – sweetest pineapples!! We also ate most of our lunches at The Palm and were pleasantly surprised to find that it was a la carte. Once again service was impeccable with a chilled glass of sauvignon blanc being topped up regularly. The calamari starter was my favourite and as boring as it may be I had that with the salad on most days. They also had a different ‘catch of the day’ each day which I enjoyed trying. It’s impossible to remember everyone’s names but a big thank you to Garry, Winisia, Elmira, Kaye, Doreen and Florencia at The Palm. Dinners were either at Bartleys, The Palm or The Cove. Bartleys was lovely, not overly pretentious (which makes it easier when a 5 year old is dining) and the menu provided a good selection. We weren’t able to dine at The Cove but ate at The Palm a few evenings, once again a really good menu. The bbq was a highlight for us with the steel drum band playing. One aspect we were really pleased with is how accommodating the chefs were with my daughters fussy taste buds, each meal we requested for was cooked to perfection and made our lives a whole lot easier.

Jason at the Tour Desk is helpful and able to suggest tours based on your preferences – we did the Stingray City Tour and a half day island tour with FAB Island Tours – both were great fun and informative.

The bars around the resort are Carolyn’s (beach bar) – friendly service and named after Carolyn (fantastic margaritas!), Nikki also works at this bar and I really enjoyed chatting to her. Veronicas is at the main bar, Donnamae mixes a mean vodka and soda and was always smiling. We spent a few hours chatting to Bryan at The Pelican Bar after a night out, what a lovely young man and knows a lot about the island (and also mixes a great margarita!).

I enjoyed my massage and facial at the spa. Thanks to Fiona I left there feeling relaxed and refreshed, the views from the treatment rooms are amazing.

Owen and his water sports team were fantastic, happy to help and always with a joke or two added on to the advice.

A huge advantage of staying in one of the suites is the Concierge Team – Gwen and Karen were amazing throughout, checking up on us each morning at breakfast, booking our dinner reservations and generally just ensuring that we enjoyed our stay. They were always there with a smile and I know that my daughter enjoyed seeing them too.

It goes without saying that the rest of the staff all contribute to this hotel – from the ground staff, cleaning team, reception and the kitchen staff – each and every one would greet you as you walk by and chat if they had a few moments, all with one question – we hope you’re enjoying the island!

We’ve been to Jamaica a few times and to St Lucia once, and can honestly say that this has been our most enjoyable experience in the Caribbean.

• Stayed September 2014

New Hyde Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Blue Waters made our honeymoon perfect from check-in to check out. Upon arrival my husband and I were greeted immediately with smiles, a cold towel and rum punch. We were asked how our flight was and if we needed anything while we waited for our room. We told them we would look around the property while the room was getting ready. The resort is beautiful. Well manicured grounds, gorgeous pools, quiet beaches and again polite and happy staff. It was quite hot and to see the workers outside doing their thing with smiles was very refreshing. We went to our room which was perfect. Clean, fresh, quiet. It had a balcony that looked over the ocean. Breathtaking. Waking up every morning to the sound of the waves is something I truly miss being back in New York. We met other guests while we stayed there and they were all wonderful as well. It was like being with family everyday and yet still romantic. 10 days didn't seem like enough time and can't wait to go back. I scouted out several hotels before choosing Blue Waters and I definitely made the right choice. Thank you to all Blue Waters, Vincent Caroline Garry etc etc etc , for making our honeymoon more special then I can ever imagine.

Room Tip: We would like to try the Cove Suites next time but the room we had was perfect
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at Blue Waters, and that we were able to make your honeymoon a memorable one.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I stayed at Blue Waters for two weeks at the end of July/start of August with our two sons, aged 11 and 9. We stayed in a fabulous Cove Suite in villa 1 - the Cove Suites are simply stunning, spacious, and beautifully furnished with a fabulous pool. The hotel is simply beautiful, from the breezy reception to the colourful flora and fauna in the grounds which are expertly tended to the numerous pools, and restaurants, all classy and understated. And the food was fantastic (lobster thermidor, filet mignon, etc etc!!!) The staff were, without exception, wonderfully warm and friendly. I just happened to mention to Gwen that our sons were very keen cricketers...the very next day a cricket bat appeared, made at the hotel by a gardener. Wow!!! I was speechless. We also spent a wonderful day at sea with Owen and Erwin on the hotel's charter boat. Carolyn, Tremaine, so many people who were fantastic throughout our stay so I'm sorry I haven't captured everyone here..thanks for a wonderful time and we will be back!!

Room Tip: the Cove suites were beautiful - you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Just back from ten days at this stunning hotel. We had room 110 do try and get this room as you will have an amazing view of the beach and sea. The staff are about the most friendly and courteous you will ever come across.From the general manager down could not fault any one of them. We got an invite to the Chefs table and met some really nice people. Get booking before the crowds get there and you won't be disappointed I promise.

A must to do is the Extreme boat ride around the whole Island. Stunning views and a wild ride. Best part of this tour is getting to swim with the Stingrays.

Enjoy your hoiday and say hello to Pearl in the main bar from us.

Richard & Dawn Waters

Room Tip: Room 110 great view of the beach and sea. Very quite as well.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We booked Antigua for our honeymoon and as soon as we did, people said 'it's an amazing place, but don't expect great food'. And they were right! There are so many good things to say about this hotel -
the service is fantastic. You only need to say your name once and you'll be remembered the entire holiday, as will your drinks order. The service is the perfect balance between friendly and professional - it really is the best. I would however, stay in a cove suite or above. We were in a large cove suite and were treated like royalty, I'm sure all guests are treated well but if you want to feel extra special, its worth upgrading.
The resort - its not 'contemporary 5* luxury'. for instance it's décor isn't like a city hotel ie vegas or nyc, its much more laid back Caribbean style but I love that. It really is paradise island - white sandy beaches and crystal clear sea. And it never feels crowded which is great.
The bars - lovely cocktails, using premium brand spirits, lovely champagne, and great house wine. If you are on all inclusive the house wine is included and it is really good.

The only negative about blue waters is the food - mainly the Cove Restaurant. When we arrived, we had a meeting with Gwen (who is so FAB!!) from Cove Concierge and she told us about the dining options - one of which was this luxury French inspired, fine dining Cove restaurant - I can honestly say I'e never been more disappointed. I think its partly because this particular restaurant is over sold and 'bigged up' as fine dining, we had high expectations and the reality was the experience was average at best. My husband and I regularly visit Paris and adore great French food and this simply was not good food, with NO resemblance in taste to French cuisine. By our own admission we are real foodies, but we are not food snobs, we just like food to have some flavour and depth. This was more like something I would cook in 30 mins at home on a week night, not what you would expect in a fine dining French restaurant. It irritated me hugely that the Cove called itself French, you simply wouldn't find food that average in a good French restaurant.
There are 2 other restaurants which are better - the palm, and bartleys. We much preferred both restaurants but it was probably more because the expectation and impression of these is much lower, not necessarily because the standard is exceptional (although it is very good). We thoroughly enjoyed all of our meals there though - the steaks are lovely.

Overall a fantastic holiday - we got a real deal on the price, I think had we have paid in excess of £12k which is what it would cost rate card, we would have felt we paid far too much so try and get a good price.

PS - if you can, meet the General Manager Anderson - he is fantastic and we thoroughly enjoyed meeting him. Get yourselves to the cocktail party at Veronica's bar on a Weds night, its great funand he should be there!

Room Tip: stay in a cove suite if you can
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

The Blue Waters Team

Been to Blue Waters Antigua? Share your experiences!