Just back from a stay at the Cove Suites at the Blue Water in Antigua. Would definitely not return.
The Cove Suite we stayed in was beautiful and in a lovely location with our patio doors leading straight out to the pool and sunbeds. Nearly all the staff are also extremely pleasant and friendly but unfortunately that's where the positives end!
The biggest disappointment by far is the food, both the quality of the food itself and also the level and speed of service. The best of a bad bunch is Bartley's, the Asian restaurant, but on our second evening in this restaurant we sat for just over half an hour without our order even being taken and decided to leave without any dinner. In fairness to the hotel, the duty manager called our room and apologised and arranged for us to see the manager the following day which we duly did. We pointed out our main grievances and he was very apologetic and offered us a complimentary dinner in The Cove that evening by way of apology. Unfortunately this meal was also dreadful - the service was still extremely slow with a 50 minute wait between our starters being cleared and our main course arriving. My lobster was very over-cooked, dry and tasteless and mu husband's filet was totally cremated! Breakfast every morning was an ordeal as we didn't once have all the requisite cutlery and there was always something missing from the buffet which was not topped up regulary enough. We also pointed this out to the manager who spoke to the staff and the next morning there was none of the correct cereal on display (had to wait 10 minutes for this), had to ask twice for coffee, no orange juice out, no apple juice, no muffins, no butter!! The manager himself was lovely and clearly embarrassed about the inadequecies of the staff, but this didn't help our situation.
In addition to the food problems, we had to wait an hour for beach towels, half an hour for someone to come and remove an enormous cockroach from our ceiling, we were told the non-motorised water sports were complimentary but were then asked for a tip (we would have tipped anyway, but it isn't nice to be made to feel that this is obligatory), the games room is appalling - stifling hot and equipment in extremely poor condition.
Due to the lack of any good food in the hotel, we ventured out to Le Bistro one evening and La Bussola another evening. The food in Le Bistro was okay but very slow service again and a very dated ambiance. La Bussola had a much nicer loacation and ambiance with very friendly and welcoming staff, but not very good quality food, just adequate.
Also, do not waste any time going into St John's as it is awful - extremely dirty and smelly and only about two shops worth calling in to.
In summary, we thought our accommodation was lovely, the Antiguan people are extremely friendly but the quality of food and service are very lacking and this is why we will not return to this island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the North West Corner of Antigua where crystal clear waters lap onto secluded white sand beaches, Blue Waters Resort offers an island paradise. From your personal welcome, complete with cooled scented towel and rum punch, you will realise you are our valued guest. Featuring small secluded beach coves, seven freshwater pools and 17 acres of lush tropical gardens, Blue Waters provides the ideal setting for relaxing days by the pool or on the beach, cocktail in hand, or for reading a good book in the shade of the swaying palm trees. Having gently evolved and constantly improved over 50 years we offer a range of luxuriously appointed rooms to meet the needs of our guests, from hillside rooms in a garden setting to beachside rooms with renowned spectacular ocean views. For the more active guest we offer complimentary watersports, tennis and a newly refurbished gym. Our recently opened Elemis Spa and Hair Salon with its stunning ocean views provides a perfect setting for a pampering treatment or as part of a wedding package. Finish the day off dining at one of our 3 restaurants, each with a different ambience to suit your mood. Our staff is ready and waiting to welcome you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Splendia, Orbitz, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Blue Waters Antigua reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Waters Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Blue Waters St Johns
- Hotel Blue Waters
- Blue Waters Hotel Antigua
- Blue Waters Antigua Saint John Parish