“Great Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Pineapple Beach Antigua

Save Saved
You added Grand Pineapple Beach Antigua to your Saves list
Grand Pineapple Beach Antigua
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   PO Box 2000 | Long Bay, St. John's 33442, Antigua   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in St. John's
Dallas, Texas
“Great Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

There is no other resort with such a caring staff with such lay back attitudes. They really care about their guests. The beach and resort are beautiful. You could not ask for better for the price.There are plenty of activities, or do nothing at all. It is all here. Mary's BBQ is the best place to eat lunch every day, and the breakfast is excellent. We went on the "Excellence" boat excursion which took us around the whole island. It was a very good trip and worth the extra money

Room Tip: Choose beach front or ocean view for the best experience

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Antigua, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you so much for posting about your amazing stay at Grand Pineapple Antigua. I'm so glad that we were able to make your trip so wonderful. Our beach is one of a kind and I'm happy you enjoyed it so much. Providing excellent customer service is very important to us and It is always our pleasure to serve. We hope to see you again.
Have a nice day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (897)
Horley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This was furst time in carribbean andcwe couldn't have picked s better place to stsy. Amazing staff wondergul food loverly view. Beach was wonderful with all tge local vendors nearby. Carribean buffet nights were tgebes.t What more could you want?

Room Tip: Go beach front well wirth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
We really appreciate you posting about your great time at Grand Pineapple Antigua. Your holiday seemed to be an amazing one and I'm glad we were able to be a part of your experience. We hope to see you again. Have a nice day.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I am a 13 year old girl named romy and I got back home yesterday I miss it already I had a great time there me and my friend spent a lot of time in the pool and at the pool table :) and at the beach. I love the staff Kerry,kylon and Dwayne. everyone was so nice miss them lots. The entertainment was very good and the man with the fire was brilliant. The rooms were always very clean and the food was very different to the things I nomaly have but still good and if I was still a bit hungry I would just go to the food bar yum! Deffo coming back when I'm old enough to go on holiday with friends better start saving up thank you for making me have a wonderful holiday!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
LeticiaA17, Manager at Grand Pineapple Beach Antigua, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review. We are very happy to read that you had such a great time at the resort. It's great to know that you enjoyed the water and land sports, staff, food, etc. We hope to see you again in the future. I will be a great pleasure to have you back at the resort.
Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Just arrived back home after the most enjoyable holiday experience. The hotel is lovely, rustic and colonial. Not the most luxurious and modern of hotels however well kept, spotlessly clean and one of the friendliest we have stayed at. Food was good and the bar was plentiful and stocked with branded drinks. The rooms were cleaned to the highest standard every day. Bed linen and towels changed each day (we were in the ocean view rooms which we would highly recommend) they were huge and well equipped with a fridge, coffee machine, flat screen TV with many channels of interest (more to my husband than me) and a digital safe. Balcony was for me the highlight of my holiday. Just sitting there morning and evening reading my book watching the sunrise and sunset...... what more can I say.......! We didn't have any children with us so the "adult only" pool was perfect, however there was another family pool which looked fun. The beach was beautiful, cleaned every morning and the sea so clear and warm that you could walk in at least 100 yards and could still see you're feet! The staff of all grades from the management to housekeepers give a warm welcome and were very friendly and wanted everyone to relax and have a great holiday. The downside ??? My husband and I have always said we will never go back anywhere because we like to travel and experience different places but this place has made us want to go back and that is a first for us

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review of Grand Pineapple Antigua. We are so happy to read that this has been your most enjoyable holiday experience. It's very encouraging when guests post about how excellent our service was and how they enjoyed our comfortable, friendly environment. We always want to meet the expectations of all our guests and I'm happy we were able to accomplish that goal during your stay. We hope to see you both again!
Hereford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Just returned from 17 fabulous nights at the Grand Pineapple. We had read many reviews & went because of the rustic/plantation like ambience so well documented on Trip Advisor. We were aware that it was owned by Sandals & that it wasn't likely to be like many of their other resorts.
Happily, it was exactly as expected. A great welcome (although the reception could do with air con after an 8 hour flight from chilly England!) & the room was exact;y as requested. We decided on ocean view rooms (one for my wife & I & one for our two sons aged 20 & 17). They were on the 2nd floor (as high as it goes) & had terrific views. The rooms are very large with an enormous & high bed in our room & an identical bed plus another good sized double fold away bed in the boys room, which still left plenty of room. The view was fantastic.
The good thing is that even up on the hill, the whole resort is very close & the walk down to the beach & restaurant took no more than a couple of minutes. We arrived mid-afternoon in time for a shower & a bit of an explore before dinner.
The food was largely very good but after 17 nights it did become a little repetitive but no problem if you vary the venue. The Italian is good as is the Pineapple Grill (Air con a bit chilly in there) &, on the whole, the selection in the Topaz was always just enough. The ribs & chicken at the Outhouse were always excellent in my experience & this must be the mos relaxed, lovely place to chill out with an ice cold beer. There are rumours that Sandals want to close this place (I assume due to health & safety & it not suiting the Sandals brand), but this would be a big mistake. I admit that sometimes I couldn't be bothered to make the walk up the hill (it is the furthest flung part of the resort) but people must keep visiting Mary because this is a unique & special place. Make the effort, it's worth it.
The weather was reliable for the first 2 weeks with the exception of a couple of days where we had the swift 15 minute downpour & then back to normal.
It's not fair to single out specific staff so I won't but I have to say that almost all the bar staff were helpful, topped up your drinks without being asked if we were at the bar & happily provided branded drinks (which did occasionally run out but were replaced pretty quickly). The staff were fun & interested in the guests & I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel just because of the staff.
I did a number of the water sports & we got involved with the volleyball daily, it was all so easy & relaxed, no pressure to join in but great fun when we did.
Some have said that it isn't much of a place for the young but our 2 befriended others & after a very short time we hardly saw them! There isn't much civilisation locally but that didn't seem to matter to them because they were so laid back but it didn't stop them having a great time either.
A couple of things needed attention while we were there, we didn't have a fridge & we didn't always get the coffee in the room replenished enough but, I called reception & in both cases these things were sorted out pretty much immediately.
Credit to the on site nurses too. I got a nasty sand fly bite that made my hand swell up like a boxing glove but the nurses helped me, got a doctor in & got me the correct drugs straight away & my hand was fine in a couple of days. Make sure you are insured though because the Doctor's call out fee alone is US$200!
We all felt that we were properly relaxed by the end of day one, something I've never experienced before, & we certainly want to return.
As long as you don't expect the last word in luxury (after all the restaurant is open to the beach & birds do fly in, expertly shooed away by guys with canes) & generally, even at the Pineapple Grill, it isn't exactly fine dining but it really is a fabulous place to relax.
I would suggest that Sandals carry out a few repairs & a lick of paint wouldn't go amiss especially on the beach side of the restaurant but we just loved the old world charm & wouldn't want it changed. The shop is a little expensive (US $7.50 for a large packet of crisps!) & is normally charged to your room so watch out!
Trips? I would suggest the circumnavigation catamaran trip & the swimming with Stingrays but beware the Shirley Heights hype, if you want to see a sunset & steel band, get a taxi to St Johns. The big party is OK but pricey (US $10 for a burger on its own) & booze equally so. That might be my age though!!
Don't worry about booking trips through the guys on the beach, they are usually cheaper. We used the legendary Marvellous Marv for a couple & Wesle for another & all trips delivered what they had said.
We made good friends & had a very sociable time. Everyone is so polite &, believe me, get up early & walk the beach before 7am. I'm amazed but we did every day & it's great meeting the locals in the sea having a pre-breakfast swim. Fabulous.
Well done GPB, a great stay & we will be back.

Room Tip: Ocean view are excellent & large.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review and sharing your fabulous experience at Grand Pineapple Antigua. We always want to ensure that our guests have a relaxing and satisfying stay with us and I'm glad we accomplished that goal during your stay. We appreciate your feedback. It's always very important to know what our guests think. Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you again in the future.
Writtle, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The hotel is clean, tidy , very quaint, staff extreamly friendly and helpful.
Food was lovely always hot and fresh.
would recomend this hotel.
it is out of the way though - nowhere to walk to. as it is in a quiet cove.
we hired a car from the hotel and drove round the whole island in 5 hours!.. very easy, petrol is so cheap!. they drive on the same side of the road as us in England so made it easy. but watch out for the pot holes!.
Shirley Heights Trip on a Sunday evening is a Must!.
Mary's lunch in the shack up the hill is lovely,the ribs and chicken are lush!. and the Mongoose are all over waiting to share your lunch!.
we had a fab 2 week stay here and have no complaints at all.

Room Tip: we had a garden veiw room 217. - looked right out onto the beach and volley ball net. excellent spo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your great review of Grand Pineapple Antigua! I'm glad to read that you had such a fabulous holiday at the resort. We always want to ensure that our guests are comfortable and entertained during their entire stay. We hope to see you both again in the future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

we have just arrived back from a fantastic 10 days at the Grand pineapple. the staff were amazing and very friendly .our room 510 overlooked the ocean and was clean and beautifully prepared with flower petals when we arrived , if we needed anything the staff were happy to help , we took our 12 year old daughter, in the day she was happy in the pool or in the sea but at night there wasn,t much for her to do .The one thing i would recommend that at night they could provide some entertainment for the older children , such as a disco just for a couple of hour somewhere away from the bar area . so that adults can speak with other grown ups while the kids let off some steam . we would recommend the hotel to family and friends and looking forward to going back .

Room Tip: tropical view rooms , overlooks the ocean
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for your kind review of Grand Pineapple Antigua. I'm glad you and your family had such a fantastic holiday and that we were able to share that experience with you. We appreciate your feedback. It's always very important to know what our guests think. We hope to see you all again.
Have a nice day.

Been to Grand Pineapple Beach Antigua? Share your experiences!