“friendly but pricy” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in St. John's
Denmark
“friendly but pricy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Let it be said, don't choose this hotel for the rooms.
They are not worth more than a 3 star hotel, small, tv from the 80'ies (although good chain selection), and bad lighting. Bathrooms worn down also.

When that is said, you encounter extremely friendly staff. Staid here 4 times and no matter who is there, they are always super helpful.

The Bayhouse restaurant in connection with the hotel, has breathtaking views. Take time to enjoy your breakfast here (also if not a staying at the hotel!).

The Internet is free and works perfectly every time, with decent speed rates.
No fitness center and small pool.
Worth recommending, but definitely a little overpriced.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for your candid review of your stay with us. We are sorry to hear that you found the amenities in our rooms under par. Many thanks for your wonderful comments about our staff as they are the driving force behind our successes.

Thank you for choosing the Trade Winds Hotel, we look forward to seeing you again soon...HAPPY TRAVELS!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was not totally impressed with the Trade Winds Hotel. There are both positives and negatives to this hotel. I understand that peoples opinions will vary with their various experiences. The views are breath taking, the staff was lovely, the food was nice, but for my liking, I find that the rooms were small, the bed was not comfortable at all, and it was quite costly for what I felt I got.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Many thanks for your review of Trade Winds Hotel. We are sorry to hear that your stay wasn't all comfortable, please accept our sincerest apologies. We are very appreciative of the kind compliments of our staff and service received, thank you!

HAPPY TRAVELS!
Brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Set up atop a hill the first thing I have to say is that the Tradewinds and the views do really make this place special. That is more or less where it ends. Don't get me wrong, the food is OK, the service is friendly and Caribbean casual and the rooms are spacious. The hotel is also fairly exclusive (not through price I add, probably through the fact that it isn't a package hotel) and devoid of the usual Clampit family from East Kent enjoying the spoils of some comp claim.
The main downfall of the Tradewinds is that it is a little dated throughout and also a little basic. The pool area is nice but suffers from some disrepair and feels a little rough around the edges, nothing major though. The rooms are basic and have that slight disinfectant smell.
Another downfall is the proximity to the beach. The bus runs you down there and it is a nice beach but the drop off feels a little edgy. I am sure the place is safe as houses but you just don't get that welcome feeling when wandering around.
Overall though I like the Tradewinds but not sure I could recommend it over other accommodation on the island, it isn't at the luxury end of the market but offers a pleasant enough environment to just relax and unwind.

Room Tip: Aim for something at the very top of the hill near reception, don't take a room down the bottom...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Road Town, Tortola
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

With regard to PD18's comments I have to say that all the staff at Tradewinds are amazing. Myself and my colleagues have had to stay on business at Tradewinds for lengthy periods of time over the last 4 years. The staff have always been friendly and made us feel at home when we have been working under severe stress. It has made what could be quite difficult times away from family and friends bearable. Finally I think it is very wrong to name individual staff in reviews when it would be sufficient to make general statements about departments without naming particular staff if a guest has a complaint.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Many thanks for your amazing review about your stay at Trade Winds Hotel.

We are very pleased to hear that your stays with us have always been comfortable and stress free and we're extremely appreciative of the wonderful comments about our staff.

It is very important that our guests are always comfortable and relaxed when staying with us and your review is evidence that we are accomplishing these goals...THANK YOU!

We look forward to seeing you again in soon...HAPPY TRAVELS!
Macclesfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I recently had a holiday in Antigua with my wife and some friends, and apart from being an amazing island with 365 beaches, some of which are in the top 10 in the world, we were greated with Idyllic views of the water and warm friendly staff when we arrived to see Trade Winds.

Apart from being a great place to stay i can highly recommend the food, an amazing choice of local delicacies and signature dishes, including my personal favourite, the lobster in garlic sauce. This was a feast for the eyes and the palate, washed down with a lovely pinot noir, and a few Bailey's coffees made for a fantastic evening when sitting outside bathed in the natural moonlight, looking out to the ocean.

A short drive from all the places of interest on the island, combined with 5 star service, food and views makes Trade Winds an ideal place to stay. We would definitley visit here again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your stay at Trade Winds Hotel and your dining experience at our Bay House Restaurant. The Lobster is a favourite on our menu and we are happy you enjoyed it and all your other meals.

We are pleased to hear you took some time to explore our beautiful island. Thank you for choosing Antigua and Trade Winds Hotel, see you again soon...HAPPY TRAVELS!
Barbados
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I just returned from a 2 night stay here on business and it was overall just average. The reception staff were very friendly and very helpful. So too were the security staff and housekeeping as well but the F&B staff were not up to mark at all!

My first night it took about an hour to get a simple Caesar salad without anchovies or bacon and the dressing on the side - needless to say when the order came it was incorrect and I had to send it back. While I was sitting there for that hour waiting for my salad I was so hungry I asked for some bread - note that I saw other tables getting bread and no one offered me any, I had to ask if I could have some! The bread was brought to me by the bartender, I think his name is Steve, and this is how he served me, "here honey". I was so taken aback by this out of order and totally unprofessional approach that all I could do was stare at this man in utter shock... "Here honey!"

The next day I decided on room service for breakfast and I ordered the Antiguan with a fruit plate. The wait again was about an hour, the breakfast was cold and very very tasteless, the saltfish was so over cooked and tough that I couldn't chew it and to crow it off they forgot to send my fruit plate. Later that day at lunch they forgot the fries with my sandwich.

I sat at the bar my second evening there having a drink with my colleague and we observed the bartender closely... he really crosses that line from friendly and professional to being out of order and very unprofessional.

This hotel has potential but it needs an exercise room, the grounds need great attention and the F&B department needs a good shake up!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Cheryl C, Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your review of your stay at Trade Winds Hotel. We are sorry that your experience with our F&B team was unpleasant and not on par and we will address these issues with our team.

Please accept our apologies on the state of our grounds during your stay as we were on that day cutting and uprooting some overgrown shrubs.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope you choose to stay with us again in the future...HAPPY TRAVELS!
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I didn't expect to be staying here last night but a missed connection to Anguilla forced my hand. It had been years since I stayed here and I arrived upset that my birthday vacation plans were ruined. I found a tranquil oasis of excellent service and charming staff. The views are great and the vibe is discreet and understated. Thank you for making the best of my previously bad day. The food is the restaurant is as great as ever - taking the MAP is a good deal and worth doing!

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your very kind review of your stay at Trade Winds Hotel.

We are happy to hear that your stay was tranquil and comfortable. We do hope the remainder of your birthday celebrations was wonderful.

See you again soon...HAPPY TRAVELS!

Been to Trade Winds Hotel? Share your experiences!