“Amazing Holiday / Fantastic Lobster” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
FREE NIGHTS & UPGRADES
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in St. John's
Macclesfield
“Amazing Holiday / Fantastic Lobster”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I recently had a holiday in Antigua with my wife and some friends, and apart from being an amazing island with 365 beaches, some of which are in the top 10 in the world, we were greated with Idyllic views of the water and warm friendly staff when we arrived to see Trade Winds.

Apart from being a great place to stay i can highly recommend the food, an amazing choice of local delicacies and signature dishes, including my personal favourite, the lobster in garlic sauce. This was a feast for the eyes and the palate, washed down with a lovely pinot noir, and a few Bailey's coffees made for a fantastic evening when sitting outside bathed in the natural moonlight, looking out to the ocean.

A short drive from all the places of interest on the island, combined with 5 star service, food and views makes Trade Winds an ideal place to stay. We would definitley visit here again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your stay at Trade Winds Hotel and your dining experience at our Bay House Restaurant. The Lobster is a favourite on our menu and we are happy you enjoyed it and all your other meals.

We are pleased to hear you took some time to explore our beautiful island. Thank you for choosing Antigua and Trade Winds Hotel, see you again soon...HAPPY TRAVELS!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Barbados
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I just returned from a 2 night stay here on business and it was overall just average. The reception staff were very friendly and very helpful. So too were the security staff and housekeeping as well but the F&B staff were not up to mark at all!

My first night it took about an hour to get a simple Caesar salad without anchovies or bacon and the dressing on the side - needless to say when the order came it was incorrect and I had to send it back. While I was sitting there for that hour waiting for my salad I was so hungry I asked for some bread - note that I saw other tables getting bread and no one offered me any, I had to ask if I could have some! The bread was brought to me by the bartender, I think his name is Steve, and this is how he served me, "here honey". I was so taken aback by this out of order and totally unprofessional approach that all I could do was stare at this man in utter shock... "Here honey!"

The next day I decided on room service for breakfast and I ordered the Antiguan with a fruit plate. The wait again was about an hour, the breakfast was cold and very very tasteless, the saltfish was so over cooked and tough that I couldn't chew it and to crow it off they forgot to send my fruit plate. Later that day at lunch they forgot the fries with my sandwich.

I sat at the bar my second evening there having a drink with my colleague and we observed the bartender closely... he really crosses that line from friendly and professional to being out of order and very unprofessional.

This hotel has potential but it needs an exercise room, the grounds need great attention and the F&B department needs a good shake up!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Cheryl C, Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your review of your stay at Trade Winds Hotel. We are sorry that your experience with our F&B team was unpleasant and not on par and we will address these issues with our team.

Please accept our apologies on the state of our grounds during your stay as we were on that day cutting and uprooting some overgrown shrubs.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope you choose to stay with us again in the future...HAPPY TRAVELS!
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I didn't expect to be staying here last night but a missed connection to Anguilla forced my hand. It had been years since I stayed here and I arrived upset that my birthday vacation plans were ruined. I found a tranquil oasis of excellent service and charming staff. The views are great and the vibe is discreet and understated. Thank you for making the best of my previously bad day. The food is the restaurant is as great as ever - taking the MAP is a good deal and worth doing!

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your very kind review of your stay at Trade Winds Hotel.

We are happy to hear that your stay was tranquil and comfortable. We do hope the remainder of your birthday celebrations was wonderful.

See you again soon...HAPPY TRAVELS!
Stratford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Great hotel, service and food excellent , Staff member Steve and Michelle we luv great people , the food was excellent , the beaches are the greatest , we walk to the beach everyday good exercise and the most beautiful beaches about 85,000 people on island with 365 beach, luv Antigua, we did the catamaran one day I highly recommend it was a blast and we saw the full island its beautiful, Thx to Sams taxi both hubby and wife where there waiting whenever we needed a taxi and they are very helpful in telling us all about the island , we did Shirley heights with the local BBq and great music

Room Tip: Upper room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay with us at Trade Winds Hotel. Steve, Michelle and our staff sends their thank yous and hellos. It was indeed a pleasure ensuring that your stay with us was relaxing and comfortable. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your exploration of our island and beaches. Shirley's Heights is a wonderful MUST experience and we're happy to hear to enjoyed.

We look forward to seeing you again soon...Happy Travels!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We were staying for a day as part of stopover. We arrived in the afternoon and the staff were very friendly. The rooms were basic but very clean and the pool is small but there was plenty of beds around the pool and on the veranda that looks out onto Dickenson bay below us. The dinner in the evening was delicious and the Antiguan breakfast was different but worth trying if you want to try the local speciality saltfish, a spinach mix, fried plantain, a hard boiled egg and johnnycake ( a savoury doughnut) . It's a beautiful setting on the hillside onlooking the bay below. Didn't have time to explore further.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have a better view of the bay below
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Many thanks for your kind and positive review of your stay at Trade Winds Hotel. We are happy that your stay with us was comfortable, relaxing and that your meals at our Bay House Restaurant were delicious and we loved that you tried our Antiguan Breakfast <<---great stuff!

We look forward to seeing you again soon and thank you for choosing our hotel...HAPPY TRAVELS!
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I did not expect to be staying at the Trade Winds Hotel but unfortunate circumstances (my husband suffered a heart attack whilst we were on a Carribean cruise and he was taken into a medical clinic on Angitua whilst the insurance company arrange accommodation at the Trade Winds for me) led me to stay at this hotel. The whole team were amazing and helped me to feel cared for, safe and reassured in what was a very stressful time. My room was excellent and the restaurant was simply marvellous. Every meal I had there was wonderful and the waiting staff were kind, gentle and loving towards me. The setting of the restaurant too was amazing with views over the bay in the company of the brilliant birds during the daytime and the crickets during the evening. A huge thank you to everyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Good day we do hope your husband is recovering well and you are both comfortable.

Although your stay with us was under such unfortunate circumstances thank you for taking the time to share a review about your experience. At Trade Winds Hotel our goal is to ensure that your stay is relaxing and comfortable and we are pleased to hear we were able to give you comfort and tranquility during this stressful time.

We look forward to hosting you with your husband in the future and our team sends best wishes to you both.

Thank you!
Northumberland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We had an overnight stop at the hotel.The view from the room was amazing looking down on Dickinson Bay and the hotel is situated in beautiful tropical gardens. Food was quite good but the service is so unbelievably slow that you almost give up the will to live when waiting for coffee. At breakfast, it took 30minutes for a simple bagel, croissant and two smoothies to arrive. There are beautiful bird sounds in the evening;the hotel in their wisdom cover these with 1980s syrup music.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your candid review of our hotel. We are very sorry to hear that service at our restaurant was below your expectation, we will surely share your feedback with our team so that our services can be paced appropriately.

Thank you again for choosing the Trade Winds Hotel & Bay House Restaurant and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Happy Travels

Been to Trade Winds Hotel? Share your experiences!