“Turned a bad day into a good night!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
SAVE 20%!
Ranked #9 of 20 hotels in St. John's
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Turned a bad day into a good night!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I didn't expect to be staying here last night but a missed connection to Anguilla forced my hand. It had been years since I stayed here and I arrived upset that my birthday vacation plans were ruined. I found a tranquil oasis of excellent service and charming staff. The views are great and the vibe is discreet and understated. Thank you for making the best of my previously bad day. The food is the restaurant is as great as ever - taking the MAP is a good deal and worth doing!

• Stayed June 2013
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your very kind review of your stay at Trade Winds Hotel.

We are happy to hear that your stay was tranquil and comfortable. We do hope the remainder of your birthday celebrations was wonderful.

See you again soon...HAPPY TRAVELS!

128 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Stratford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Great hotel, service and food excellent , Staff member Steve and Michelle we luv great people , the food was excellent , the beaches are the greatest , we walk to the beach everyday good exercise and the most beautiful beaches about 85,000 people on island with 365 beach, luv Antigua, we did the catamaran one day I highly recommend it was a blast and we saw the full island its beautiful, Thx to Sams taxi both hubby and wife where there waiting whenever we needed a taxi and they are very helpful in telling us all about the island , we did Shirley heights with the local BBq and great music

Room Tip: Upper room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay with us at Trade Winds Hotel. Steve, Michelle and our staff sends their thank yous and hellos. It was indeed a pleasure ensuring that your stay with us was relaxing and comfortable. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your exploration of our island and beaches. Shirley's Heights is a wonderful MUST experience and we're happy to hear to enjoyed.

We look forward to seeing you again soon...Happy Travels!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We were staying for a day as part of stopover. We arrived in the afternoon and the staff were very friendly. The rooms were basic but very clean and the pool is small but there was plenty of beds around the pool and on the veranda that looks out onto Dickenson bay below us. The dinner in the evening was delicious and the Antiguan breakfast was different but worth trying if you want to try the local speciality saltfish, a spinach mix, fried plantain, a hard boiled egg and johnnycake ( a savoury doughnut) . It's a beautiful setting on the hillside onlooking the bay below. Didn't have time to explore further.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have a better view of the bay below
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Many thanks for your kind and positive review of your stay at Trade Winds Hotel. We are happy that your stay with us was comfortable, relaxing and that your meals at our Bay House Restaurant were delicious and we loved that you tried our Antiguan Breakfast <<---great stuff!

We look forward to seeing you again soon and thank you for choosing our hotel...HAPPY TRAVELS!
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I did not expect to be staying at the Trade Winds Hotel but unfortunate circumstances (my husband suffered a heart attack whilst we were on a Carribean cruise and he was taken into a medical clinic on Angitua whilst the insurance company arrange accommodation at the Trade Winds for me) led me to stay at this hotel. The whole team were amazing and helped me to feel cared for, safe and reassured in what was a very stressful time. My room was excellent and the restaurant was simply marvellous. Every meal I had there was wonderful and the waiting staff were kind, gentle and loving towards me. The setting of the restaurant too was amazing with views over the bay in the company of the brilliant birds during the daytime and the crickets during the evening. A huge thank you to everyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Good day we do hope your husband is recovering well and you are both comfortable.

Although your stay with us was under such unfortunate circumstances thank you for taking the time to share a review about your experience. At Trade Winds Hotel our goal is to ensure that your stay is relaxing and comfortable and we are pleased to hear we were able to give you comfort and tranquility during this stressful time.

We look forward to hosting you with your husband in the future and our team sends best wishes to you both.

Thank you!
Northumberland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We had an overnight stop at the hotel.The view from the room was amazing looking down on Dickinson Bay and the hotel is situated in beautiful tropical gardens. Food was quite good but the service is so unbelievably slow that you almost give up the will to live when waiting for coffee. At breakfast, it took 30minutes for a simple bagel, croissant and two smoothies to arrive. There are beautiful bird sounds in the evening;the hotel in their wisdom cover these with 1980s syrup music.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your candid review of our hotel. We are very sorry to hear that service at our restaurant was below your expectation, we will surely share your feedback with our team so that our services can be paced appropriately.

Thank you again for choosing the Trade Winds Hotel & Bay House Restaurant and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Happy Travels
Dorset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Drawing up outside my first reaction, was what have our employers sent us to now!! However once inside the complex, my opinion changed. We were given room 12 which was large with a huge comfortable bed, a sofa, and fridge etc.From the balcony, which had a table and chairs, one could look down on Dickenson Bay, a lovely view. The gardens were well kept and the outside staff were lovely and helpful with the luggage etc. My only complaint was the restaurant, does one really have to wait so long after placing ones order.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Cheryl C, General Manager at Trade Winds Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. We are very sorry to hear that service at our restaurant was below your expectation, we will surely share your feedback with our team so that our services can be paced appropriately.

Happy Travels
Antigua
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I was in Trade Winds three times between January and February.
Some of the stuff members are nice, maybe one or two people only. The rest are a scam, especially at the reception. Most of them very proud and arrogant.

The gardeners and security members where very nice and often I spend half an hour chatting with them, especially with a chap from Guayana.

Antigua lives of tourism and unfortunately some members of the staff do not know how lucky they are to live in such beautiful place and have guests with big wallets, a job close home. I work at 10k miles from home!!

At first impression staff is very nice but then when I had problems most of stuff members were not sorry at all. For example when the toilet it did not work, I wanted to change room and the receptionist looked at me strange. She asked me to wait for the morning.

Excuse me?? Where do I go for the human basics needs????
Is this an hotel or a shelter?

I paid almost 200 USD dollars a day. You cannot treat a customer like that. You do not make favours to people, we are customers, we pay and you have to always try your best.

Once I was sick with the stomach so I went to the restaurant to ask for room service, to ask in person to have something different from what's on the menu. I explained to the waitress the reason and I looked so pale she could see I was sick.

On the menu there are veggies with oil, I asked to have them steamed or boiled, no seasoning, no oil, nothing. She said ok.

Went to the room, to the bed, as I was sick, and they brought me the exact same plate that was in the menu. I know because a few days earlier I had this meal.

Anytime I asked for a variation of a meal, they said ok but then the food was the same as per standard. When I tried to explain that it was different than what I asked they looked at me like I was a pain in the ...

I do not ask the moon, I just ask something I need or I wish. Nothing crazy.
The minimum I expect after forking 180 USD a day would be a sort of flexibility when needed, understanding that people need to go to toilet, or boiled veggies, which are the easiest thing to cook in the world!

I hope something will change. Caribbean are so beautiful but tourism is down. If all hotels have this issues I do not blame tourists for changing locations where spend the holidays.
It is very expensive to come on Holiday to the Caribbean and customer service should be excellent for this money, it doesn't matter that the weather is amazing.

There is competition from other countries, you must provide better service.

Room Tip: Fifties have great view but mezzanine, if you do not like stairs take the first block (40s)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your candid review of your stay at our hotel.

We are very sorry that your stay and experience with us was uncomfortable and we are currently investigating all the issues you mentioned.

Safe travels.

Been to Trade Winds Hotel? Share your experiences!