“a week of relaxation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 15 St. John's B&B and Inns
hereford
“a week of relaxation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have just had a week's stay at this charming place. It is quiet, relaxed and the staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful. The rooms are cleaned and there is nothing nicer than to sit on the verandah with a glass of wine at sunset. This charming colonial-style property is literally on the beach and within a 2 minute walk of Cambusa, a very good Italian restaurant and the marina.This is NOT a five star, all inclusive hotel, but this is a place that allows you to feel instantly at home. There are little things that aren't perfect about the place but considering its excellent quiet location, quaint style and great staff, this place is extremely good value for money on many levels and we would happily return.

Room Tip: loved being in the beach front, but everyroom at this hotel has a great view and is steps from the b...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Feonab, Owner at The Catamaran Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for positive remarks and kind words and for choosing The Catamaran Hotel and we are happy hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was our pleasure ensuring that you stay was filled with relaxation and comfort.

We do hope you visit again soon.

Do stay connected with us.

All the best!

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

First off this is not a 5 star luxury hotel and the pool is smaller than Sandals but if you want to avoid the crowds and the kind of plastic hospitality-school welcomes offered by many “top” hotel, this is the place. You will receive a truly warm welcome, from the entire team, who will go out of their way to help with anything you need.

The rooms are comfortable, clean and immaculately serviced every day.

All the staff, lead by their incomparable boss Fiona, are truly helpful and the chap who grooms the beach each morning will also climb up and get you a fresh coconut from a beach side palm.

The beach is small but with only 14 rooms in the hotel it is never crowded, it is also kept very clean and there are kayaks and sailing boats free to use.

Unless you want to totally chill you will need a car for trips around the island and to visit the bars and restaurants at the English harbour, but there is a breakfast to dinner restaurant, a good little grocery store and a roadside ice cream parlour that sells fastfood and cold beer all within 5 minutes walk.

Room Tip: Ocean front at this hotel means just that, but there is still a 2 metre trudge to the beach
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your fabulous review and we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Catamaran Hotel. Our goal at Catamaran is to ensure that each guest is treated like you are the only ones staying with us. Every experience and stay with us is personalize.

Thanks again for choosing us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sun and sea wishes from The Catamaran.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This is a part of real Antigua and was a return visit after 6 years. Little has changed thankfully. The Catamaran enjoys a beautiful setting on the calm waters of Falmouth Harbour, close to south coast attractions of Nelson's Dockyard, English Harbour and Pigeon Beach: hiring a car is almost essential. Available is sailing and kayaking right on the sandy beach in front though cloudy water means little snorkelling. Groceries and restaurants (including the modestly named Cambusa right on the waterfront) are close by. Feona runs a good ship at the Catamaran, even apologising for the mosquitoes about which one can hardly grumble (but I do recommend keeping the screen door closed as much as possible) and she looked after us on our last day with a late departure beautifully.

Room Tip: The first floor has higher ocean views but the ground floor leads from the verandah straight onto th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Our team here at Catamaran Hotel thanks you taking time to write this positive review. We are always ready to ensure that your stay with us is comfortable, relaxing and exotic. We want you think Catamaran as your exotic home away from home when staying with us.

We do hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Catamaran Hotel.
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The staff and manager were wonderful. The location was better than what we hoped for. We are not big resort people and prefer to experience the genuine flavour of the area and we had it here. We had the private beach in front of the hotel which was great for a dip. My husband took some free sailing lessons from Robert who works there. (my husband proceeded to drag each and every one of us out numerous times a day afterwards) Free use if kayaks and the dingy was awesome. Baileys supermarket was a 5 minute walk away which was perfect as we cooked breakfast and snacks in our room. and Sweet - T's was right next to it which was perfect to get out nightly ice cream fix for me and the kids and beer for the husband. When the A/C went out (after hours), they dealt with it right away and apologized for the inconvenience. Other guests were friendly and we basically had the pool to ourselves the whole time (2 weeks). Felt very safe in the area and met some of the most helpful people. It was a great experience. If you are the traveller who never leaves the resort and prefers a huge shiny new ultramodern type accommodations this is not for you. Catamaran much more authentic laid back place with a laid back pace.

Room Tip: The bottom floor beach front rooms were perfect for us with kids. And steps to the water.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Costa Mesa, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The accommodations are good, full kitchen, large rooms, clean and comfortable. I spent 3 days here, and while the weather was not exactly great, tropical storm was in area for entire trip, the facilities and staff were great. Right on bay, easy access to water. This is a good place for families, given the complete facility. It is away from the urban areas, which are not the greatest for looks. And is not a far drive, if you have a vehicle (recommended).
I was there just to view WCQ match with USA. Didn't get to do a lot of sightseeing due to short trip and rain.
There are not a lot of people around at night, so arrive early to check in. Staff will give you contact information if you need things after hours.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I had planned to stay here for three nights with my girlfriend joining me after the first night. I arrived late (about midnight) and the place was deserted apart from the security guard whom I eventually located and who was not expecting me. I was shown to the Captain's Cabin, which I had booked and which is marketed as their nicest room. It was just not very nice - the decor and fittings were very old, rusty, broken. The curtains didn't fit the windows, so privacy and blocking of light was only partial. There were ants everywhere and a couple of dead cockroaches. Needless to say, I didn't want to bring my girlfriend there, so I called the Siboney Beach Club, which was the other place I had considered, based on TripAdvisor reviews. They had a room available for the remaining nights at a cheaper rate than the Catamaran and the difference in quality was incredible - no competition.

I didn't eat at the Catamaran or use the beach, so I can't comment on those. I should say that the staff were friendly and raised no complaints when I said I wanted to check out early.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My family and I go to Antigua regularly and have stayed at several hotels in Antigua, but I can honestly say that my stay at Catamaran was the most relaxing, and wonderful hotel on the island that I have been to thus far. As many have said, the staff is absolutely amazing. They really will do everything possible to make your stay enjoyable. I stayed in the Captain's Cabin and it was wonderful. My room was very nice, overlooking the pool on the left and it had the most amazing ocean view in front as well. I went to bed every night listening to the relaxing sound of the ocean right outside. One thing that makes Catamaran stand out is that ALL of the rooms have incredible ocean views. There are a variety of room types (and they are all very nice), so you just have to choose the room that will suite your needs best.
The hotel is located walking distance from Sweet-T's Ice Cream and Snack shop and this is one of my favorite places in English Harbor to get lunch (and ice cream of course!). Bailey's Grocery Store is also within walking distance and you can get pretty much everything you need from there. All of the rooms have kitchens so you can save a lot of money by cooking breakfast in your room.
I am already looking forward to my next trip to Antigua and we will be staying at Catamaran again at that time. If you are looking for a place where you can get some serious rest and relaxation in an absolutely gorgeous Caribbean paradise, then I would HIGHLY recommend Catamaran.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Catamaran Hotel? Share your experiences!