“Just as wonderful the second time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Galley Bay Resort

You added Galley Bay Resort to your Saves list
Galley Bay Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Galley Bay Beach Rd, St. John's, Antigua   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 35%!
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in St. John's
New Hampshire
“Just as wonderful the second time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

We visited Galley Bay for the second time in November, for our 9th wedding anniversary. We had been somewhat uncertain whether the magic would still be there given that we just visited 4 years ago. We were pleasantly surprised that everything was just as beautiful, the accommodations were even better, and the food once again didn't disappoint. Minor complaint was that they are adding new rooms so a lot of construction noise, but not terrible. You might want to call first to make sure your room won't be too noisy until they finish. The staff are pretty responsive, if you need something, though I did have to call 3 times to get an extra blanket before they brought one. The grounds are nearly pristine. Food choices are varied, and the staff do a nice job keeping birds out of your food!

New visitors will enjoy the peacefulness, adults only atmosphere, as well as the superb cuisine (you are never, ever hungry given how much food they give you, and it's 5 star quality at all times), quiet and very non-busy beach, delicious (strong!) cocktails, and low key activities. I'm not a big drinker, and the staff seemed a bit insulted if I didn't have a full wine glass at dinner, so I got around it by getting one glass and sipping it slowly so they don't feel bad if I refuse to have them refill it. We stayed in a Gaugin Cottage, which is cheaper than all other rooms but FAR superior in our opinions, since they are all completely private, big enough (i.e. who spends time in their room when you're in Antigua???) with your own pool.

A couple of notes for anyone who has visited in the past and is thinking of returning: A few things had changed: the resort is bigger and they added another restaurant. Also no more included bottled water, which was too bad because the water they served with meals was atrocious and we found ourselves buying bottled water at the gift shop. The water is safe out of faucets, but tastes just awful. Ismay's Restaurant had very slow and a bit impolite service, and we only went there once because of that. No problem however, since my husband and I both think the Sea Grape Restaurant is basically always perfect, even if you go there 3 times a day. The gift shop had fewer items than I remembered. My husband strongly recommends the upgraded spa. Returning guests are treated very well, with a few extra bonuses which were flattering surprises.

Despite a few minor issues mentioned above (I mean, no place is 100% perfect right?), the place is practically flawless and we cannot wait to return. Galley Bay is the absolute best value in the Caribbean, no doubt.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (817)
bucks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

we got married here it was an amazing experience. The hotel was peaceful and weather was fantastic. This was a most relaxing place. We had the beachfront suite which was fantastic. Everywhere was clean and the staff were friendly and attentive. Most of all the food was incredible with lots of choice and everything cooked to perfection. The wedding took place under a gazebo overlooking the sea and exactly as we wanted it was private and romantic and away from public view. Thoroughly recommend this place if u want to relax unwind and eat and drink till your hearts content. We will be going back

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

I find it hard to write this review without simply gushing. This is the best resort I have ever visited and I entirely understand why so many guests were "returners" To give myself a bit of discipline, I will try to review each aspect of the stay:
1) Food - forget about horrid buffets. There are three restaurants, each with different menus. The food is original, delicious and plentiful. The staff are superb. The standard of hygiene is extraordinary. If you need a special diet, please TELL them. I havecoeliac disease and I am used having few options. Not so at Galley Bay where the menu is specially marked so I can see where flour is used and the chef made hot cornbread for me each morning - outstanding
2) Staff - Antiguan people are well educated and sophisticated. They expect good manners and respect but, having received these, repay them 100 times. Nothing was ever too much trouble, everything was done quickly and efficiently and with a smile and a laugh.
3) Gardens - these are extensive and beautiful. John, the head gardener, combines passion and expertise. He will give you a tour of the gardens and I would recommend this if you have any interest in plants
4) Peace - although the hotel was "full" during our second week, it still seemed half-empty. We complimented the manager on the lack of background music and he looked askance and said "But we do have music at Galley Bay - the crickets and treefrogs provide our sound track"
5) Enviromental responsibility - the water comes from their own desalination plant. Bottles and cans are charged at a premium to discourage their use (why would you, when EVERYTHING is inclusive) They use grey water for the gardens. They oxygenate the lagoon to keep the waters healthy
6) Rooms - huge, airy, on the beach, massive bathroom, fluffy towels, separate beach towels, American TV channels, coffee maker and coffee, iron, walk-in closet - MASSIVE balcony with two chaise longues and a coffee table
7) Wildlife - birds everywhere in the grounds (feedings stations in several places) Crabs, pelicans, frigate birds, mongooses, lizards geckos

Can I think of any negatives? I have to try really hard to think of a single thing. Our room was a tiny bit hot at night, when I mentioned this, an engineers was overhauling our aircon before the words were our of my mouth. Forget about things happening slowly in the Caribean, I wish that we could ever experience this level of service in the UK

We cannot wait to go back to Galley Bay - I would give it six stars if I could

South East
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

Just got back from a 7 night stay and all I can say is we are already planning a return visit. If you are looking for a relaxing holiday this is the place.

Caerphilly, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

Went back to Galley Bay for the 9 Th time since 2004. We had a wonderful holiday. The staff are so welcoming and friendly and we were made to feel so special. The beach is beautiful and the whole resort is so relaxing. The food was very good and we didn't have a single complaint about any meal we had.
Just remember that you are in the Caribbean and on holiday and don't let little things stress you out.
The management and the staff are a true credit to this place. There are to many to mention but Lisa, Nola, Natasha, Clifford, Hazeldean and Caryl all deserve a special mention. (Not forgetting the lovely Heather and Gwen the chef)
Every member of staff was so nice and made us feel very welcome.
James you have a fantastic hotel and I can't wait to come back in March 2010.
As most people have said on Trip Advisor this is a great place for a holiday. Go there you will love it.
I must also mention Ian Bailey, what a great guy and really knows how to look after you. I can definitely recommend Galley Bay and hope you all get the chance to go there one day.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

I was a bit worried after reading a couple of the reviews but the minute we walked into the resort we were put at ease! We were met at reception by cold towels, rum punch and big smiles! We opted to stay in the Gaughin cottages and would definitely stay in them again and not the up graded rooms. Your cottage is like two caves! The bedroom is air conditioned and then you go out through your private courtyard to the bathroom and dressing area. Although this is not air condtioned we did not have a problem even though it was 84f! The great thing about these cottages are the fact they are all separate so now stomping from over head or listening to the people next door or below you. You have sunbathing beds and your own splash pool.
Food wise - great choice of 3 restaurants. The Sea Grape is the main restaurant and is open evrey day for all meals whilst the Gaughin and Ismays are opened on different evenings and you need to book in at sitting times. All meals are a la carte and are a very high standard, 5 courses for lunch and dinner! In the Sea Grape they are very accomodating and will always do something different for you if required.
Staff are great, really enthusiastic and very friendly.
Beach - really different sea each day, some days the waves were so high you couldn.t go in and then the next day it would be like a mill pond! Lovely beach to walk up and down on hardly saw anyone else who was not at our resort as it was not an easy access beach unless you were staying there.
Trips - we went out the Wadadli catamaran to Cades Reef for snorkelling - highly recommended and the crew are great fun and make you feal welcome. Did the round the island trip with Excellene catamaran as well but would not recommend it. The crew was unfriendly and bordered on being rude. The commentary whilst we cruised round was so pre rehearsed and cheesy it was almost funny.
This is our second time in Antigua and defintely will return to Galley Bay.

Basingstoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

This resort was our choice for a honeymoon & boy was it a great choice. When we arrived the room we'd ask3ed for was out of commission due to refurbishment of the single storied rooms. so we were upgraded to the best rooms that they had to offer us. The complimentary champagne & flowers every day were much appreciated too.
The staff were exceptional & did everything in their power to make your stay as stress free & relaxed as possible. The room was stunning in it's simplicity & style. The bath was our favourite feature though. Enough room for two people side by side....Lovely.
I hve been to many many resorts as I work for an international airline & this beats them all hands down.
The spa should be checked out too as it's very good.
Nothing else comes close to this resort for location & for staff.
Oh yeah the food's great too! We both came home weighing more than half a stone heavier!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Galley Bay Resort? Share your experiences!