“Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Galley Bay Resort

Save Saved
You added Galley Bay Resort to your Saves list
Galley Bay Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Galley Bay Beach Rd, St. John's, Antigua   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
30% Off plus 5th NT FREE
Ranked #4 of 20 hotels in St. John's
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Visited here with partner in sept his first visit to the Caribbean , I am lucky enough to have travelled to a lot of the islands. Boy was he spoilt, this is now his reference for all all-inclusives. The place is wonderful, the staff are excellent and the rooms are beautiful. We paid a bit extra for a place on the beach,agree with all the others, definitely worth it..this is the best resort I have stayed at and we would definitely return.
Captain Sean on the beach was great, not pushy and we had a great trip with him, plus water skiing and jet skis..would recommend to couples, looking for a romantic getaway..

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at Galley Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Alexandra S,

Thank you so much for your "wonderful" review of your stay at Galley Bay Resort. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your romantic get-a-way.

Galley Bay is one of the most beloved resorts in the Caribbean with a very high repeat factor. Look forward to your return for another memorable stay with us!

1,727 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
Beverley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Our first ever visit to St Lucia in March 2013 with our two adult daughters had been an outstanding success. I had had serious reservations about holidaying in the Caribbean but doubt had been replaced by delight. My wife and I planned a return trip without the girls this time. They seemed to think that as two innocents in our mid-sixties we were likely to struggle on our own. Would we cope with Gatwick Airport, the long-haul flight, the transfer and wouldn’t we get a tad bored? We determined to prove them wrong and went ahead and booked a week’s holiday at Galley Bay Resort, Antigua for the end of October and into early November 2013. Well in truth there were some issues. I panicked when I thought I had lost my mobile phone. I hadn’t of course. My suitcase seemed to have gone missing but my wife found it and admonished me for not tying the luminous green band around it. I learn slowly these days.

We both wanted simply to completely relax after a rather long and difficult period of family bereavements. We chose Galley Bay after reading probably thousands of reviews on Trip-advisor. It seemed a safe bet. Sir Chris Hoy also had chilled there according to a newspaper article I had read. If Chris recommended it, it was surely good enough for us! As departure day approached I was slightly apprehensive. I had noticed that the long range forecast had taken a turn for the worst. The long summer days were to give way to thunder, lightning and intense downpours. A washout might be on the cards. We did in fact have over two days of solid rain. The sun disappeared and the skies were heavy. This could have dampened our spirits but it didn’t and the rest of this review explains why.

Galley Bay was only 20 minutes from the airport so the journey after a nine hour flight was quickly completed. We had been delayed for two hours by the late October storm which had caused havoc in southern England. So we arrived late and tired. We were efficiently processed at reception and plied with glasses of champagne before our golf buggy journey with Stuart, across the lagoon bridge to our superior beachfront apartment. These were in the centre of the complex, near the pool and bars. We had thought that the location might be noisy but not at Galley Bay! The room was fine. It had everything we needed save milk and a kettle for morning tea but both arrived in seconds of contacting guest services.

Service to guests

The service offered by the staff at Galley Bay was outstanding. Yes there were some members of staff who said little but they were young and rather shy. Some people may have found the service slow at times but we were in the Caribbean, it was hot and humid and we were in no hurry. The service at this resort was truly outstanding in all respects. The bar staff, the gardeners, workers in the restaurants, those at reception and the cleaners did a wonderful job. The place was spotless, beautifully kept and sprayed regularly. So there was little need for the insect sprays we had brought with us. Janice was an absolute delight. Fun to talk to and nothing at all was too much trouble for her. She spent ages in a thunderstorm offering her umbrella to guests who would otherwise have got absolutely soaked walking between the Tee-pee Bar and Sea-grape restaurant. Ismay who had worked ay Galley Bay for 50 years and who finally retired that week from her job as ambassador summed it up for us. The island relies on tourism and this resort looks after its staff very well. That is why they are happy and often continue to work there year after year. Ismay spent an hour with us explaining how the resort had developed since the 1950s and even offered to take us on a tour of a Gauguin Cottage. What a lady. I bet she will be back! There are too many others to mention although all deserve to be mentioned. I had trouble with a dodgy safe deposit box but the maintenance man arrived quickly and sorted it out. Chris and Cedric frequently approached guests to ensure that all was perfectly okay with them. So five out of five for service.

Superior Beach front accommodation.

The deluxe beachfront apartments, usually on two floors were bigger and more modern than our accommodation but similarly faced the sea and beach on one side and gardens on the other. They were further away from the pool and bars. We had rejected the Gauguin cottages because they were further from the beach, nearer the lagoon and we did not like the fact that the bathroom was separate and locked but the honeymoon couples unsurprisingly seemed to love the solitude and the integral plunge pool associated with each cottage. We were very happy with our room. Plenty of storage space was available. It was in a rustic but cosy style, the bathroom spotless despite the peeling paint below the door and the bed was particularly comfortable. The noise of the waves and the night insects caused no problems sleep-wise but the lashing of tropical rain on the roof did unsurprisingly interrupt sleep. Champagne had awaited our arrival. We used the bottle water provided and then tap water without any problems. Some reviewers had complained that the fridge was ill-stocked but that did not worry us. The bars and customer services were so close and it was no bother fetching drinks and we spent so little time in the room anyway. Room 3 was by the swimming pool on one side and opened onto the beach on the other. In all, the room itself had 6 sun loungers and there were more available at the pool. So no problem at all in that direction. If however you do come from Europe, remember to bring appropriate adapters to fit the sockets which were quite different from those we had had on St. Lucia. You have to vacate the room by noon on the day of departure. We chose to pay a small fee (which actually was donated to island charities) so we could have a cabana. This was used to store our cases and to have a wash and shower before departure. These cabanas were located by the Gauguin restaurant but we were transported there with our luggage by buggy.

Wildlife

There were lizards and creepy crawlies around which is only to be expected. The young lady in the next apartment screamed in horror when she saw a lizard and large insect above the door but her partner came to the rescue and calm was quickly restored. Expect to see plenty of wildlife from humming birds, cranes, lizards, mongoose, fish, jellyfish, butterflies and an abundance of other insects. Visit the lagoon and gardens to see what I mean. Take a camera with you and go on the Tuesday gardening trip. We were about to leave Ismay’s restaurant at 10 pm when a commotion broke out and we were called over. Security guards had discovered that turtle eggs had hatched. They rushed around carefully picking up the little creatures which seemed disorientated by the lights. Soon a large plastic container was full. It contained probably over sixty turtles which were then taken to the sea. It was a delightful scene to savour. All along the beach small areas were cordoned off because turtle eggs had been laid and hatching was awaited.

Guests

You meet lots of different types of people. Most are British but there are many American and Canadian guests. There a no children but quite a few honeymooners. Most guests however are rather older with many in their 50s and 60s. I notice some disabled guests confined to wheel chairs who were able to negotiate the resort with some ease. We therefore had lots of friendly conversations and met some wonderful people including Karen and Bobby, two deliciously hilarious and great fun Americans. We missed them when they left. The odd guest can be rather superior and awkward. One lady proved to be remarkably like Lady Catherine de Bourgh in Austen's “Pride and Prejudice” and in consequence we gave her a very wide berth. Interestingly, neither the beach nor the pool area were ever crowded. It is amazing the way guests seem to disappear into the environment. Sometimes it was hard to see more than 12 people on the very long beach or in the sea. That is a delight of the resort. It never appears crowded. There are vendors on the beach which is public but they were not really intrusive.

Restaurants

Sea-grape

The largest restaurant and centrally located along the beach frontage with excellent views. This restaurant has sometimes had a bad press from reviewers but we found the food and service to be very good. I loved the many egg dishes on offer for breakfast particularly Eggs Manhattan and Creole which had to be ordered. Flavoured pancakes were also available on a daily basis. If you wanted to eat quickly you could get cereals, fruit juices, fruit, bread, pastries toasts and hot food including sausages, bacon, scrambled egg and hash brownies from the buffet. I would offer one particular criticism. Pots of good coffee were available but if you wanted tea you had to settle for a jug of hot water and tea bags on the table. What would coffee lovers say if they were offered coffee bags and a pot of hot water? Please management, do let the tea drinkers have tea pots containing properly brewed tea and so end the discrimination. It was good to see that additional pots were available if requested. Guests going to the buffet should cover over their drinks and food. The cheeky little birds are both intrusive and persistent.

Dinner and lunch in the sea grape were always excellent. House wines were basic but ok. We rather liked the sauvignon blank which went particularly well with fish dishes. The choice of food was good. It was beautifully presented and very tasty. A fusion of Caribbean and Asian cooking, delicious and healthy. The nouvelle- cuisine approach meant some courses looked a tad sparse but they were mouth- watering and by the end of the meal I was always rather full. Younger people might be hungrier but they were perfectly entitled to go through the card if they wished. I frequently had fish. The marlin, tuna, swordfish, grouper and snapper were wonderful. The soups, appetisers and desserts were all very tasty. Do try the various ice creams and sorbets. I loved the lime and the passion fruit sorbets.

Barefoot Grill

If you just wanted beef burgers quickly you would be better off at the Barefoot Grill which was also very good. It does hot dogs, salads, fish of the day and other food all presented in a basket with crisps.

The Gauguin

A nicely appointed restaurant nearly a ten minute walking distance away from the centre but you can travel by buggy too. You need to book the same day and it is not always open. The tables are located in Tahitian cabanas for two or more guests. Very romantic on a warm evening but less so if it pours down. The food was tasty and good but in my view little better than the Sea Grape. It covers a large area so the service can be slow. Be patient because you will enjoy the meal in a very pleasing setting.

Ismays

You have to pay a surcharge for a meal here of $35 dollars each and you need to book a table. The restaurant is at the opposite end of the beach from the Gauguin and takes just under 10 minutes to walk there. It has a formidable reputation but we did not think it was that much better than what we had eaten in the other restaurants. There was more alcohol on offer and more dishes. The food was well presented and tasty but the service was slightly disappointing. Heather was great and quickly intervened when she realised that our “Antiguan Smiles” had never materialised. You are offered an opportunity to choose from an expensive wine list. It would be better if it were pointed out that the free house wines are still available here.

The Bars

Both the Tee-pee and Sea grape bars are excellent. The cocktails, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, are brilliant and refreshing. Try the Mango Crush and the banana smoothies! Janice, and Sandy are always on hand and Christine sings beautifully whilst serving cocktails.
Afternoon tea is available in the Sea-grape bar but is not up to the standard of a typical English afternoon tea. Bettys in Harrogate and York have nothing to fear!

The Pool

A great area with plenty of sun loungers and shade if required from canopies and palm trees. The pool is well maintained, clean and very attractive with a smashing waterfall. It is easy to get into and out of, not too deep and the floor although rough is sensibly non-slip. We loved it there but others preferred the beach.

Other facilities

We just wanted to relax with a book so we did not do many of the other activities available. You can take out bikes, try snorkelling, sailing and kayaking.
There is a library and computer suite housing three computers and a printer which is always open and useful for online booking with Virgin Atlantic. Wi-Fi is available in this location and at the pool and bars.
There is a small gift shop
The gardens are beautiful and well managed.
You can order a range of massages.

Conclusion

This is a lovely resort and I recommend it whole-heartedly if you want to relax, have wonderful food and excellent service. I do not hesitate in awarding it five stars. There is no hectic night life but the calypso and other nightly music at Sea grape was rather pleasant. If you want to go clubbing or drink and dance into the early hours this resort is not for you. It was however just what my wife and I were looking for. We loved our visit so much that the two plus days of torrential rain could not dampen our spirits. The island desperately needed the water and it got it. We still went into the pool in the rain. We would never have ventured forth into the North Sea but you can do this here when the temperature is 29C. So we left without much of a tan but with lots of wonderful memories and images. We felt totally relaxed and we intend to return……

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We chose Galley Bay because of proximity/ flight time from our location (Mississippi) and the positive reviews from tripadvisor. Let me say first of all that the Galley Bay website needs updating. By looking at the website, you truly don't know what to expect. There aren't any pictures of the marvelous restaurants, the blue waters, the luxurious spa, or the friendly staff. Rely on the reviews that tripadvisor provides and you'll know exactly what to expect.

I was extremely pleased with everything, but will disclose upfront what we did not enjoy- leaving the premises. We went to St. Johns- the city in Antigua where you can buy affordable high quality jewelry or little souvineers made by the locals. The shuttle will take you there at 9:30 and pick you up at 12. There just wasn't enough to do, and not a lot of shopping to be had. We would've rather stayed at the resort and not been harrassed by locals. Another let down was the catamaran 360 beach tour that takes you all the way around the island. Sounds nice right? Not really. The tour lasted 7 hours. We stopped for one hour to snorkel and have lunch, but a majority of the tour was spent riding on a boat filled with a bunch of drunkies with tatoos and a bathroom toilet that stayed full. It was a total waste of cash and a day. I wish we would have done the Eco Tour- 6 hours with snorkeling, short hike, live turtle hatching site, sting ray city, etc.

Now, besides that, the honeymoon was awesome, and the things listed above were out of the resort's control. The Premium Beachfront Suite was awesome, room is cleaned around 10 every morning with nightly turn-down service every night, nice flat screen tv, updated furniture, bathrooms, lighting, etc. There is a his & hers shower in the bathroom as well as a large bathtub with jets. Soaps, towels, drinks in fridge, and coffee is replaced daily as well. The room was better than expected and photos don't do it justice.

I won't review the restaurants because you'll see that the food and service is definitely 5 star. We were always treated well by the staff. I couldn't believe people could be this kind. One night they seated us by a beautiful water fountain at Sea Grape restaurant and right on the beach at Gaugin restaurant. We also had Ismay's- technically not all-inclusive $35 per person. I was so pleased that I also dropped a $20 tip. Great food... My wife had a sirloin steak with a blue cheese sauce on top (Sea Grape) that I think was the best thing I've put in my mouth. On our last night we also had a taste of home- Mississippi Mud Pie.

The resort is secluded- if you like crowded beaches filled with young people and 250 activities, go to Sandals. This is for people who enjoy the soft breeze and soothing beach waves right on your balcony/private beach chair and umbrella. Good mix of older and young couples. One older couple who claimed to have "traveled the world" said Galley Bay had the "bluest, most beautiful water" they've ever seen. Get in the water and pick up snorkel gear- bring your own if you don't want to borrow the resort's. You can see beautiful fish swimming beneath you in hundreds of coral reefs about 5 meters from the sand. I also found a large peice of dead/ white coral that I snuck into my main bag- not carry on, and carried it back home. If you put it in your carry-on, you will not be able to bring it home.

Go to the spa. My wife and I had coconut cacoons! 90 minutes of heaven. Coconut scrub washed of with coconut oils, then wrapped in a cacoon, face/head massage, shower off, and then a full body massage. We also fished, rode bikes, and had many Coconut Crushes from the bar- this is the most important thing to do while at Galley Bay. Load up on the Crushes.

I could go on and on about how much we enjoyed Galley Bay, but hopefully I've said enough to convince you. I'm sure we will be returning..

Room Tip: We thought the 2nd floor Premium Beachfront Suites were awesome- If you are on the 1st floor you don...
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife and I made our first stay at Galley Bay in mid-October. I only mention that this was our first time at GB since so many of the guests had stayed at GB many times over the years. An obvious compliment to the resort and its excellent staff and management.

As noted in all the reviews, the best amenity at GB are the people that work there. Chris, the General Manager certainly sets the tone for the rest of the staff as he goes out of his way to seek you out and ask for your opinion of his resort. From the moment we arrived, we experienced some of the most genuinely warm and friendly people we have met in our extensive travels!

The resort itself is set on a beautiful crescent beach that offers exceptional privacy as it is the only resort in sight. The grounds are lush and the beach is quintessentially Caribbean. We enjoyed an Ocean Front Villa on the ground floor (Room 85) at the far south end of the resort, and found it to be very spacious and only a few steps from the ocean. We had our own patio with 2 private chaises plus our choice of a Palapa but we chose to move our lounge chairs as close to the water as we could. Note that the ocean’s bottom at both ends of the beach are very rocky. The ocean is much more accessible in the center of the beach.

We had an amazing stay, but if you are looking for a 5-star experience, you should know that the GB is just not a 5-star resort. The rooms are fine and spacious with a comfy bed, nice linens and great AC, but nothing special. The furniture is older, the tile on the floor was cracked, but we never pick a beach resort for the room.

The food was good, not great. The ala carte menus changed daily but we still felt like we ate the same meal every day. Our favorite by far was Gauguin’s. Directly on the beach, each table had its own path to a private palapa covered table. Incredibly romantic day or night. Good food and great service. Simply one of the best settings in the islands!

We ate at Ismay’s one evening and found it to be stuffy with the worst service we experienced all week. With only 7 tables it took over an hour between appetizer and entrée with empty glasses and no bread in front of us much of the time. When the main course arrived it was nothing special. All that for a $35 upcharge.

The drinks were awesome and certainly not watered down. Kudos to Caryl and KerriAnne at the Tee Pee Bar. You ladies got our day started right! The Tee Pee Bar was also a great way to end the evening meeting new friends and chatting after dinner.

We had an excellent couples massage in the open air spa. One of the best we have had. Enjoyed the well maintained tennis court and spent one afternoon at the pool. Cushy loungers and a massive rock waterfall (but we preferred our time on the beach).

Other than the boat trips, there are no motorized water sports which was awesome. No wave runners, para sails, etc. to ruin the serenity of the ocean. My wife and I tried paddle boarding and got addicted. However, on our first attempt we were about 50 yards out when we noticed the sea was full of jellyfish. Kind of like paddling over a pool of molten lava. We were told us it was unusual to have them this time of year. I guess a little warning would have been in order. Nevertheless, we snorkeled on the north end of the beach under Armani’s house. Saw some nice schools of fish, but the reef was mostly dead. Still glad we took the time to do it.

Although we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves there were 2 huge negatives that are not noted in every review. The resort does not offer room service. There is no where to eat at the GB that does not require preparation due to the dress code. A few nights, it would have been nice to have a simple meal in the room but that was not available. Due to its remote location, there are not casual restaurants close by as an alternative. The GM Chris explained it was due to “rodent control” but we have travelled the Caribbean extensively and this is the first time we have encountered this policy.

There were 2 beers in the fridge when we arrived, but those were “complimentary”. At an All Inclusive hotel no less. There is a charge to have beer/wine sent to your room and you have to walk to a bar to get a cocktail since they only deliver beer/wine

Secondly, there is no service on the beach. Our room was easily a 3-4 minute walk to the main area of the resort to get a drink served in a small cup. The drink was usually gone before we got back to our lounge chairs. Being my vacation, I would have much preferred to have someone wait on me, but I did get some extra unplanned exercise!

Notes: You can fish in the lagoon. Just get a pole from guest services and bait from the kitchen. The rum punch is awesome. Gauguin’s and Ismay’s has a 6:00pm and 8:30pm seating nightly. You need reservations there but not for Sea Grape. The evening dress code for men allows nice jeans (no rips) and a collared shirt. No shorts at dinner. Try the fish sandwich at Barefoot Grill…awesome! Cap’n Sean was everywhere the first 2 days. By the time we were ready to take a sail he was booked. Plan early. There are hammocks next to the pool area. The beach vendors will walk right up to your room if you are on the patio and they can be a bit aggressive with their sales pitch. Stuff at the hotel is cheap. A box of Benadryl was only $6US. Oh yeah, they don’t tell you about the jellyfish.

We would recommend the GB for anyone wishing a very relaxing vacation as long as they understand that the GB is a 4-star resort with 5-star service and that they would be ok with the limitations on room/beach service. For the money, it was an incredible value and I would not hesitate to visit again!

Room Tip: I prefer a downstairs Villas since you have direct access to the beach from your room. The rooms at...
Nottingham, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Galley Bay for our "mini-moon" for 4 nights and were more than pleased with this resort. About a 30 minute drive from the airport, you pull up to a secluded, gated entrance with security, and are immediately greeted with your choice of rum punch or champagne at the reception desk. They then whisk you down to the main resort in a golf cart of sorts, giving a brief tour along the way pointing out some of the amenities and then drop you at your room. We chose one of the Gauguin cottages, not oceanfront, but we loved the hidden away feeling they gave off. It's its own little house of sorts, with a separated bedroom and bathroom, connected with a covered patio with lounge chairs and your own private plunge pool. All with a lovely view of tropical landscape and lake on the backside of the resort. The accommodations were simple, but comfortable. We had both ceiling fans and an a/c. The room had a bureau with a few drawers, a mini-bar and coffee & ice service; a small tv (that we never turned on), a radio with an ipod dock, robes, iron/ironing board, hairdryer and plenty of towels. I would choose this type of room again in a second.

The resort itself has 3 open-air restaurants, all of which were delicious. A large bar centrally located and plenty of painted adirondack rocking chairs lining the deck that stretched across the center of the resort. The food was delicious...a good mix of island cuisine and upscale American style food. The bartenders certainly pour with heavy hand and they have fun new drinks every day. Definitely try the Gauguin restaurant one night...you need a res, but the atmosphere is awesome. We were fortunate to be able to do the "romantic dinner on the beach" one night as well, and white glove service doesn't do it justice. Mike our waiter for the night was awesome, the food was awesome and you can't beat the view.

The pool area was great and had plenty of coupled off cushy lounge chairs...it was never crowded and you never had to get up at dawn to claim a chair anywhere.

We took out the HobieCat boat a couple times and tried snorkling. Not much to see fish wise right there, but the swimming is nice and the water is beautiful. My husband booked us a private beach picnic at Pinchon Bay...about a 10 minute boat ride from the resort and totally worth it. When we got picked up later on, Kenya from the sports desk gave us a little tour around the area on the boat and was a true pleasure to hang out with for that time and learn about some of the history of the area.

Each night between the bar and main restaurant area they have live island music...fun and festive, but not overwhelmingly loud.

There's a 3/4 miles walking/running trail around the lake that we strolled every morning after breakfast...definitely some weird birds back there but they were all friendly even though they seem to be chasing you like a gang at first. They really just want a muffin.

The spa is amazing...we partook in a couples massage in the open air hut things and you just melt away.

The resort was quiet, laid back and very private feeling. It was a perfect place to go and turn our brains off for a few days after a year of crazy wedding planning. I would go back again in a heartbeat.

My only slight suggestions for improvement:
-Play some background island music around the pool/bar area during the day so it sounds vacationy.
-Restock the mini-fridge daily
-basic cosmetic improvements to make sure everything always looks finished, i.e. tiles in the cottage pool, showers, etc

Room Tip: Unless you're a die-hard have-to-see-the-ocean-the-minute-you-open-your-eyes person, the gauguin...
Sheffield(UK)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

The location of this resort in Galley Bay means you are never more than a breath away from the sound of the sea. You eat breakfast, lunch and dinner to the sound of the sea and each morning we threw open the doors to wake up to its enchanting rhythm. The day we left we realised we could no longer hear the sound of the sea breaking on the shore having spent 15 hours each day to its relaxing sound and we were sad.

...................... now to the detail!

Galley Bay Beach is three quarters of a mile in length from end to end. We walked its length several times each day as did many other couples. Yes - no children, no motorised watersports, no loud music booming out from dawn to dusk. Only one MINOR annoyance are the beach sellers. Not as prolific as in Spain and certainly less persistent. Nevertheless they are an unwelcome intrusion and are basically selling what I would describe as tat.

The sea is a beautiful crystal blue and the sand is a lovely pale orange in colour. The beach is very clean. The waves can be quite strong particularly near the shore where they break on to a twelve to eighteen inch sand shelf. If they hit you as you are stepping up or down the shelf then it can knock you off your balance. It was interesting and at times comical to watch people negotiate their entry and exit into the sea. Once in the sea it is warm and inviting. Rarely were there more than 10 or 12 people on the beach at the same time. This is the closest you will get to a private beach! There are rocks near each end of the bay which provide excellent snorkelling opportunities. If you are into non motorised watersports you can take out a Hobie, Kayak or Windsurf Board free of charge.

There are three restaurants on site, a grill and the main bar:

Seagrape - this is the main restaurant and is open every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. No booking is required for any meals taken here. Breakfast is here every day and cannot be taken in any of the other restaurants. It overlooks the sea as the others do. It is a perfect setting. All meals are menu based and we love this - no buffets...........hooray!! Service is very good although we picked up from one or two other guests that they thought it was slow - we thought it was paced perfectly.

Gauguin - this is at the southern end of the bay and is not open for breakfast and only open for some lunches and dinners. We checked the board every morning. It is not necessary to book for lunch but it is essential for dinner. We ate here every time it was open and consider this to be the best food and the best ambience because of the individual cabanas. It is a very romantic and picturesque setting.

Ismays - this is open some evenings for dinner. We booked our anniversary meal here. There is a supplement of $35 per person. Wine is charged by the bottle unless you elect to have the house wine as provided in the other restaurants. Service is white glove service. You can have dinner on the beach by special request. The food is very good again but not significantly better than the other restaurants in our humble opinion. We went on the one occasion for our anniversary meal but did not elect to go again. We would recommend one visit if you are there for a week.

Barefoot Grill - in essence a snack bar open for fast food between 12:00 & 4:00pm. We ate here once out of necessity on the day of our arrival and had Grouper Sandwich. It filled the necessary gap. We chose not to eat here again, we had no need to and we preferred the menu choice and setting of the other restaurants. A number of guests arriving back from excursions found this restaurant very quick and convenient upon their return.

Teepee Bar - this does not serve food, only drinks. This is the hub of the resort and is staffed by some of the best cocktail makers you are ever likely to meet. You will be served drinks here until you put up the white flag of surrender. It is a good place to meet and chat with other guests if you wish or choose one of the many seating areas to have some privacy with your partner. Premium drinks are available and are widely used in the cocktails - no scrimping here, only the best. Just let the staff know how you like your drink and it will be delivered!

We didn't use the spa or sports facilities so cannot comment. Others we spoke to gave them a good critique.

Housekeeping was excellent - definitely worth a tip on leaving. Don't bother with any towels they are all provided. Toiletries are also provided.

We stayed Premium Beachfront - AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Highly recommend room 27 it has an excellent location.

The personal space you get at this resort is one of its key selling points. You can get peace, tranquility and privacy with ease. That is what we wanted for this anniversary trip and that is exactly what was delivered.

I cannot finish without mentioning the staff. In a word EXCEPTIONAL!! The staff are another of the key selling points of this resort. The mission statement that the management are working to was delivered by every employee that we encountered.

Would we return - yes!

Well done Chris and team.

Room Tip: Premium Beach front if you want to sleep and wake to the sound of the sea. Room 27 is well situated.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

A year has passed and we once again have visited Galley Bay. We initially booked for a week but just couldn't leave so we extended our stay for 4 more days. We stayed in our usual favorite being the rustic cottage as opposed to the upgrade beachfront, just our preference. The grounds are still immaculate lush and beautiful. The food is excellent as always at Sea Grape,Gauguin or Ismay's. As if this weren't enough, the staff at Galley Bay truly make it feel as if you've come home.
I truly look forward to returning Galley Bay as I feel as if I've left my second home. Thumbs up to the staff and owners for making it our greatest destination of the year. Hope to return in March or at the very least next October.

Tim

Room Tip: The beachfront seems to be what most guests want but I prefer the rustic cottage with seperate bathr...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at Galley Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Tim b,

Thank you so much you for your stellar comments about your recent stay at Galley Bay Resort.

Galley Bay is one of the most beloved resorts in the Caribbean and enjoys a very large repeat business due to our loyal guests who visit with us year after year.

We look forward to welcoming once again for another fun-filled memorable vacation!

Been to Galley Bay Resort? Share your experiences!