“Fun in the Sun in Antigua!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Early Booking Bonus!!
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in St. John's
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Southern Illinois
“Fun in the Sun in Antigua!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2007

My wife and I just returned from beautiful Antigua. The island is breathtaking. I would highly recommend the eXtreme adventure trip around the island as well as renting a cab (tx 381) ask for Roger) for a land excursion. The service was excellent ,the food in the kimono (blackenese) restaurant was top notch!! The other restaurant's were very good, however the Kimono was the bomb.

On a negative note that Sandals had no control over was the fact that our luggage didn't arrive on the island until late evening on the following day of our arrival. This was due to the fact that the flight was too heavy and luggage was left behind. This should have been communicated to me but was not. The resort management tried to assure me that all was good but hey you get upset when you don't have your stuff!!! We did get a bag with our shoes. I also want to add that there were numerous guests that offered up clothes and anything else that they could provide.
This is why we go to Sandals so often (this is our 5th visit to a Sandals property) --family.

Stayed May 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,204)
Plano, texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2007

We spent our honeymoon at the sandals resort. It was terrible. My husband and I staying in a beach bungalow. It was no where near clean. The bathroom was so dirty. You think when you go on vacation you could take a nice bath and relax. Not the case here.

Dinner time- The food was soooo bad. And I mean BAD!! For the money you spend on staying at this resort you would think they would have good food. When it came time to eat it was like you where at camp. You saw everyone from the resort at one time. Some night my husband and I just wanted to sit and relax. Not the case! I got sick from the food on the second night we where their.

Butler- Lancelot and David Thank you so much for making our trip some what ok. If it wasn't for these two we would have left.

If I could tell you one thing about this resort. Don't go! Just take your money and stay somewhere else.

• Liked — The water. It was so clear.
  • Disliked — Everything about the resort.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hampshire, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2007

This Sandals resort is a pretty old and so you must expect a little less than perfection with the decor and rooms.
That said we had an extremely pleasant 10 days lying around one of the five pools drinking cocktails.
We found the food to be very good in most cases and Kimonos restaurant was a revelation - if you go to this resort you must visit this restaurant, even if you don't like oriental food.
Strangely enough we didn't find the staff to be very friendly, in most cases you got the impression that they didn't particularly want to be there - we have found that on other Caribbean islands the inhabitants are really friendly and bubbly people.
A quick update on the Meditteranean Village - it is nowhere near completion - I would guess at least another 6 months.
Don't let that put you off going to this resort though, the building work is well screened off and unless you're unlucky enough to be given a room at the extreme right of the resort, you'll hardly know it's there.

• Liked — Choice of restaurants
  • Disliked — Room wasn't 'made up' until after 3pm each day
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2007

Travel Agent - Just Returned from Sandals Antigua 5/2/07.
In General we loved the Sandals property. I I walked around looking at the ongoing construction next door. The construction goes on 7 days a week, but was never a noise issue. All the heavy construction is done, and what's left is painting, furnishing the interiors, Landscaping and the Pool. My best guess is fully open and operational - Sept 1 So don't let the construction issue avoid this resort.

Since the resort has been at this location awhile, one of the things I loved is the lovely, mature, flowers and trees. The entire resort is lush and green.

The beach is most excellent. I love to walk the beach.
The beach is shared by The Rex Halcyon on one end, the Sandals, and at the other far end, "The beach" Bar and Restaurant, Antigua Village Resort and "Coconuts" Bar
From one end of the beach to the other about 1 mile walk.
The Beach is public, so there are vendors right on the beach - which I always liked. Get out and meet the locals.

The restaurants and bars were all pretty centrally located near the beach front and courtyard. For myself, I had a pretty long walk from my room to the front desk/courtyard, so be prepared to do alot of walking and steps from the rear buildings.

The staff and bartenders to the maids, all very friendly and helpful. The Rooms are all stocked with bottles of Rum, Gin, Scotch, fridge always had, cold beer, cold juice, cold water/pop

My only complaint, I really thought for the price you pay, the food selections should have been little more upscale.
No Red Snapper or Lobster on the menu - the entire week
Typical Seafood was Mahi and Swordfish. I really dislike any resort that requires you make a reservation. Often times we walked by the restaurants and saw plenty of empty tables, especially after 8:00. Now maybe if you had Butler service you had different menus to order from and bring to your room. I do not know. But this is my only small complaint.

Good Mix of clients at this resort, Brits, Irish, American and all age groups - So you go enjoy.

I will try to post some photos including some current construction photos ASAP. If you have any further questions, please E-mail me. LauraDisneyL@aol.com

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hudson County, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2007

We arrived at the airport and went straight to Sandals staging area where we where met with friendly smiling faces. We grabbed a nice cold drink and our luggage was taken and tagged and we didn't see it again until we arrived at the resort.
Upon entering, we where again met with smiling faces and a warm welcome. During check-in we where given a glass of champagne and a cool towel. As Signature Guests, check in was all but fifteen minutes and we where on our way to our room (which was ready and waiting for us).
We where escorted to our room and forbidden to carry our luggage. Upon entering our room we where given a tour of the room and our a/c was turned on for us. While un-packing we realized the a/c was not getting cold. We called the front desk and within a half hour our room was so cold we had to lower the fan the temperature of the room was too cold. Thanks guys!
Our room's balcony faced one of several pools on the resort where we spent the first two days just doing nothing. Since we both work together our lives are hectic, non-stop and all work and no play....this was our only vacation of the year. The R & R was welcoming and being waited on hand and foot was the best. On Wednesday we joined Signature Guest Dinner. It was so much fun. We sat at the same dinner table as the General Manager who was a sweetie. We where given a presentation and update on the new and exciting addition to the resort. I hope to one day soon have the opportunity to return to Antigua and stay at the new village as we did get to see it as it was being built. It would be pretty cool to see it completed.
The next couple of days of our stay where great. We participated in the games and hung out with some of the playmakers. We spent our days at the pool bar relaxing and our nights where spent trying out all the different restaurants. We where waited on hand and foot and everything/anything we asked for we got. The only restaurant we returned to was the Bayside. The Bayside offers everything from breakfast to dinner, the food is plentiful and the choices are endless.
The rooms, beach and grounds are kept spotless. Of course there are a ton of things we could have done - we left the resort for all but an hour to go into town and we where back...being lazy.
After spending a week in Antigua this trip and our last stay at Sandals/Negril we are currently looking into making plans for our next Sandals Vacation. We haven't yet agreed on which one yet. I do know whichever one it is as they say we can do it all...or nothing at all. On our trip to Antigua we chose the latter of the two and have no regrets. I take that back....the only regret we had was leaving. Sandals...see you soon!

• Liked — Everything was taken care of by the resort.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
east anglia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

We stayed at Sandals Antigua in March this year and it was simply amazing. Like many others, we had read mixed reviews. The staff (98%) were extremely polite and accomodating. The food and drinks were top class. The room was adequate, we had problems with the air conditioning not working, and roaches under the fridge! The entertainment was excellent, and the beach adorable. We are fitness fanatics and were thoroughly impressed with the fitness centre, as well as the sporting activities on offer.Regarding the building work, it is in view from the main pool and to the rooms allocated within this area. Personally, it did not affect our stay at all. We will be returning, it was two awesome weeks.

• Liked — The tranquility
  • Disliked — Roaches in the bedroom
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Whittier, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

I stayed at this resort on April 13 in a Garden Rondoval with private pool for six days. Because the new resort property was not completed Sandals upgraded us to the Garden Rondoval with pool, butler, $250 spa credit and 3 night return stay for next year. (I'm also a Signature Guest Member)

This resort is beautiful, staff wonderful and food excellent!

I read all the negative reports before my trip and was not looking forward to my vacation. I hate cats but only saw 2 my entire stay and they helped me overcome my phobia.

Sugar who is the head chief at Kimino is the BEST! Ask for him when you make a reservation. Italian food had very good pasta and lamp chops. Maureen is the #1 Butler!!! I cried when I had to tell her goodbye. Eli SnorkleTour was very good and I learn a great deal from Tony on the boat. I learn so much about the history of Antigua during our private taxi tour we took of the Island.

The General Manager, Franklin, is the BEST General Manager of all the Sandals properties Franklin and his management staff made us feel like family! Great Beaches, Great Entertainment, Staff very friendly. Eva at the Spa made me feel so relaxed after my massages.

Don't believe the negative things you read about Sandals Antigua.

Don't forget to bring your "Off" and use it at night. I use my "Off "during the day but I guess I was having to much fun to remember to put it on at night.

• Liked — Beaches, Food,Staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!