“Very enjoyable vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Guilford, Connecticut
“Very enjoyable vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We just returned from our vacation at Sandals Grande Antigua. We have been to three other Sandals and this one we enjoyed a lot with a few exceptions. Our main gripe was with the concierge service. We have had all levels of service at other resorts, including butler, so I have something to compare to. At this resort, the concierge leaves a lot to be desired. We requested certain things to have in our fridge and bar and the requests were either denied or ignored. We drink red wine every night on our balcony and it was never replaced without numerous calls. We also had trouble getting more shampoo and lotion. I have never had problems like this in any other resort. So, if you are going here and cannot afford butler service, do not bother with concierge. It's definitely not worth the money.

Our Room: We had a Veranda Room on the Caribbean side and loved it. The room was really large and in a great location to everything. We even had an ocean view, which I was not expecting. Our balcony was large too. Don't believe what you read about the Caribbean rooms being run down, ours was perfect. Also, housekeeping did a wonderful job keeping the room immaculate. I liked the beachy feel of the Caribbean side much more than the Mediterranean side and would definitely stay on this side again if we return.

The Beach: Beautiful blue water and white sand that is raked every morning. The length of the beach is very long and great for walking. The water is crystal clear and I've only seen bluer water in Great Exuma. The only issue with the beach is that no matter how early you get there, you will never get one of the shade areas. The butlers reserve every one of them and a lot of them stay empty all day. This is a huge problem that Sandals needs to address. At Emerald Bay, we had butlers and they were not allowed to reserve the shade umbrellas. It was first come, first serve. Also, towels are not available at all times. Most likely because the butlers take them all. The vendors are beyond annoying, but it's their island, so you just have to deal with it.

Pool: The main pool was huge and you could always find a lounge, but never in the shade. Again, they are all reserved by butlers. We opted to go to the smaller pool on the Mediterranean side and enjoyed that much better. There was always shade and the LaToya was a great bartender.

Restaurants: We tried all of them except OK Corral and that was only because we ran out of days. Our favorite meal was at Barefoot. The fish there is fantastic and cooked to perfection. Eleanor's lobster was very good and not over cooked like I read it some reviews. I live near Maine, so it didn't compare to that, but was definitely very good.The breakfast at Eleanor's was good, but it took over an hour to get our food. It is beyond slow and there were only a few tables with people at them, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Mario's was very good as well. The antipasto buffet was a meal in itself and the lava cake is to die for. The buffet at Bayside was better here than any of the other resorts we've visited. They change the items daily, so that was nice. Our worst mean was at the Drunken Duck. My burger was like a dried up hockey puck. I wish we tried OK Corral vs. the duck. No one liked there meal there, but the staff there more than made up for it with their attitudes. Definitely the most friendly.

Water Sports: We enjoyed the free snorkel trip and saw a lot of nice fish. We also used the Hobie cats and enjoyed them as well.

Excursions: We did the shopping trip into town. You can get some great deals and there are tons of shops. We also did the Cades Reef Catamaran tour and enjoyed that very much. You can book excursions on the beach and save some money vs. the Sandals tour desk. If you do, ask for Tony, he's the best!

So, I would definitely return to Sandals Antigua, but I hope they work out the issues that keep me from giving this resort a five star rating. With that said, we did have a wonderful time and if you've booked this resort, you will too.

Room Tip: There really aren't any bad rooms at this resort. Pick what you can afford. You aren't in...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Shell914,

We are pleased that you had a great time at Sandals Grande Antigua and the photos of your stay are beautiful. We appreciate you taking the time to send us both your highlights and concerns. Your feedback is crucial to the process of bettering our services, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. I will be sharing your suggestions with the resort management staff for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better experience on a future visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,204)
Ingersoll, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

This was our first visit to Antigua and we loved the people and the place. The resort was fantastic. The beaches were excellent. And the climate is very temperate compared to some locations on the west coast of Mexico. This resort had a lot of night life if you are into that. Almost every night was a band in the courtyard followed by a DJ in the pub. Food was excellent. All meals were excellent. We rented a cabana for a day and while only $99 for the day, we personally did not find it very beneficial. Cabana service was okay....not fantastic....and the amenities were also okay. However, the swim up bar or the restaurant are very close to the cabana's, so we stuck to those amenities. Check in seemed a little slow for my liking, but it could have been my anxiousness to get to the bar and pool. Overall, I would highly recommend this location and resort. We will be going back...it is just a case of when. Thanks Sandals, for a memorable trip.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Mediterranean section of the resort...which is the newer section compared to the Ca...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Sandals Grande Antigua, eddibow.

It's wonderful to hear of your amazing experience and that we were able to exceed all of your expectations! Thank you for all of your input and we will be looking into those areas you mentioned that could use a little retweaking as we want to provide the best vacation possible to our guests. We will be eagerly awaiting your return!
Johnston, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

My husband and I just returned from Sandals Grande Antigua on March 16th. We were here for our honeymoon from March 9 - March 16th. We didn't know what to expect and reading the reviews helped us a lot. Upon arriving we were greeted with a glasses of champagne, (which were delicious!) a hot towel, and warm chocolate chip cookies. We got to the resort around 1:00PM but our room wasn't ready yet. (check-in at 3PM) We relaxed for a bit, got something to eat and had a drink to unwind. When our room was finally ready, we were greeted by one of our butlers, Desmond. He walked us down to our room which was located in the Poinsetta building. Rm. 712. Our suitcases were already in the room and he provided us with a cell phone. He offered to unpack our bags, but we did it on our own.

We were just so excited to be there in the warm weather, escaping from freezing New England weather!! We didn't even unpack and we threw on our bathing suits and ran into the ocean. At first glance we thought this place was absolutely gorgeous and we couldn't wait to get out and explore the rest of the resort.

The Butlers had our week planned out as far as restaurant reservations. Each and every restaurant had a different flair to it. We loved every restaurant. The employees, Butlers, waiters/waitresses, everyone was exceptional! Their service and professionalism was impeccable!

Our favorite restaurant was the OK Corral. It's sort of a TexMex menu, and we went there two nights in a row! We both got their Chicken Fajitas both nights and absolutely devoured them! We highly recommend the Mudslides as well! The bars have a daily drink which is cool too!

If you're into being adventurous, we also recommend doing the Island Routes Ziplining and Canopy Adventure Tour! It took about 30 minutes to get there, but the ride was so interesting to see the island of Antigua and see how the locals live. The Ziplining was so much fun and definitely worth the money!!

Each night at the resort there is something different to do entertainment wise. They have weekly Beach Parties, Steel Drum Bands, Singers...the list goes on and on. When we read the reviews leading up to the trip, people were saying that the Caribbean side was the quieter side than the newly Mediterranean side. This was very true as we stayed on the Caribbean side. Right in the middle of the resort actually. We pretty much preferred the quieter side as it was more relaxing. We took turns being on the beach and main pool. Both were so much fun! We were weary on getting a Butler suite, but when we booked it, I said to my husband, let's just do it! It's a one-time thing and we'll never regret it!! And that, we never looked back! It was so convenient. We had two Butlers, Desmond & Julian. Both were absolutely amazing. From booking reservations at restaurants or the water sports, to planning cute surprises and setting the tables at restaurants, to bringing us lunch to our chairs on the beach, which were also reserved! I would absolutely do the Butlers just to have that experience.

The restaurants were amazing as well. Besides loving the OK Corral, there was an Italian place, Mario's (best lava cake ever), French place, Bayside, burgers at Barefoot, fancy place Eleanor's, and more pub-style food at The Drunken Duck. If you're hungry at lunchtime, we recommend the cheeseburgers and fries at Barefoot.

We couldn't have been more lucky with our room. It was in the Poinsetta building, as I mentioned before...literally 20 steps from our door to the beach! Excellent view, private patio, and no stairs to climb. Right out the front door, you walk 10 steps to the fence, and that's right on the beach. If you're on the beach though, they do have vendors that come up to you quite frequently to ask to buy things. We said no a lot, but they never bothered you again. That's just the life out there. They weren't bothersome at all, quite entertaining actually.

This was our first ever experience with a Sandals resort and I'm so glad we booked our Honeymoon to Antigua!!! We've heard nothing but amazing things about this place and we couldn't wait to experience it for ourselves!! This place definitel exceeded our expectations!! We will definitely be back here!!

Room Tip: Definitely recommend the Poinsetta building. Steps to the beach. Quieter on the Caribbean side.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Hello there Jenna!

Thank you for sharing your amazing honeymoon experience at Sandals Grande Antigua. It's lovely to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us and that we were able to surpass all your expectations for this already special trip. We are delighted that you enjoyed the warmth of Antigua and its people and we look forward to having many other amazing experiences with you in the future!
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

As we didn't do much outside of diving on this trip, I will review the things we experienced on our holiday at Sandals Antigua. This was a gift for my husband, so I checked reviews here each and every day for 6 months before the holiday. I'm hoping you find this as helpful as I found previous reviews.

BOOKING
I didn't use a travel agent (no one my age does for a couple's trip) so I booked online. The process is APPALLING. Sandals is just throwing money away by not improving this. They update the pretty pictures but not the booking engine. You can't manage your online booking effectively or upgrade online. I had to phone up to change room category or pay (because they can't seem to understand the Irish credit card). The online check-in and butler preferences are effectively just sending information into a black hole and there is no joined-up-thinking at the resort in terms of online bookings for anything.

DIVING
We LOVED the team at the dive center. Furleen, Ray, Maurice, James, the boat captains, the first mate, William - all were incredibly helpful and patient. We had done our open water qualification on our honeymoon a year and a half previously and did our advanced open water on this trip. The coral is not as colourful as Grenada, where we dove before, but we saw sharks, rays, octopus, barracuda, turtles, dolphins and lots of amazing fish. There is a morning (two-tank) dive at 8am which takes certified divers and an afternoon dive at 1pm to a wreck, which takes beginners (or anyone else who wants to go). Note that you MUST sign up the day before to get a place on the dive - and you can only sign up two days in advance so check that you're on the next day's list each day.
There is also a night dive (to the shallow wreck) on Thursdays. This is not included and can be done for $80 - it also only takes place if at least 5 people sign up. So, my advice is, if you want to night dive, start working on people to sign up early in the week. My husband did the night dive and adored it.
Once a week in the morning, you may find that there is a trip to Jolly Harbour to refuel the boat. So, if you plan something for the afternoon, note that you are unlikely to be back too much before 1pm.
Definitely recommend the team here and we'll happily be back to see them at some point.

BUTLER SERVICE
The only reason I got Butler Service is because I wanted a room in the Poinsettia Block (our first trip to Sandals, so I wasn't sure how everything worked and I knew this block was in the middle of the resort). I would have settled for Concierge service if I could have gotten a room closer to the center. Our butlers were Roxanne, Kevin and Daren - they were phenomenal. I think they are used to having more demanding guests (we were away diving for most of the time) so they didn't have to do too much for us. The best thing was being able to reserve a place at a pool or the beach in the shade after our diving trips (people are creepily territorial about places and ours was stolen once - which is a crock because you pay extra for that privilege).
We had petals sprinkled our our bed, chilled champagne, towel animals, afternoon snacks, breakfast on our patio etc. They were amazingly lovely and kind.
Having said that, it was a bit wasted on my husband, who didn't really get the romantic aspect, so we will probably stick to concierge level on our next trip (booked St Lucia at the Soon Come Back desk for 2015).
If you do go for butler service, you can request Roxanne, Kevin and Daren - they're lovely and thoughtful.

MISC
If you are a pale person susceptible to burning, you should avoid the beach until you are acclimatised. There's not much shade for a lot of the day. We spent a half day at the Med pool but the Carrib pool was much nicer for us - quieter, more available shade and with a great swim-up bar. Note that there is water-polo here at 2.30 daily. Some people might find that a touch disturbing, but I found it quite entertaining. There is also a pool table here.
The food was pretty good - my husband didn't like having to be, well, fully dressed, so Barefoot was a more comfortable option than Eleanor's.
The Playmakers have amazing energy! They don't force anyone into activities but make things fun for the people who get involved. I didn't do any of the activities, but it was good to watch them.
Staff - F A B U L O U S. You get what you give and you could see that some staff were expecting rudeness, but if you open up to them and joke with them, they're incredibly lovely and friendly. I heard some guests being disgustingly racist and rude about the staff, which is disgraceful - stay home if you're a bigot!
One lady called Charmaine, at the Drunken Duck, gave everyone a kiss and a hug every day. It brought such a smile to everyones' faces.
Accommodation - our room was lovely. Just big enough and not too close to a walkway.

We've booked another Sandals trip next year, but I hope we'll be back to Antigua one day. Beautiful place.
Tip - if this is your first time to Sandals, do some research. There are a lot of return visitors and loyal Sandals members and the staff often assume that you will know how things work - so don't be afraid to ask questions and talk to other guests if you want to know more about something.

Room Tip: We stayed in 708 in the Poinsettia block. Perfectly located and just private enough. We preferred...
Cole Harbour, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

My husband and I returned on Friday from two spectacular weeks at Sandals. This was our first trip to Antigua, and we are already planning to return next year. It is difficult to remember everyone who helped make our trip so memorable. The first would the General Manager, Mr. G, who can be seen everywhere at any time. He helps unload airport shuttles, can be seen showing guests to their tables, and just making sure that all is well. Nico, Shernell, Julienne and Leslie were always around to make sure that things were going well. Special thanks to Nico and Shernell for all that they did for us to enhance our stay.

As we said earlier, the evening entertainment here is spectacular. Two stages every evening filled with fantastic music that kept us dancing all night. In our last review we misnamed the Steel Band. They are called Da Vibez and will blow you away. If you get a chance to hear Zambai in the Mediterranean Village: make sure that you go.

THe bar staff are spectacular, as are the waiters in all of the restaurants. From the Bayside we have Violet, Vanessa and Tyril to name a few. The Carribean Bar had too many great people to remember, but we will try. There are Marlon, James, Terry, Vanessa and Ceilia to name a few. We only made it to the Main pool a few times, but it too was fantastic. A special thanks to Oriica from the Bare Foot, and Zumie for all of the trips to the beach with our refreshments. Last but not least, my husband had mant wonderful talks with Anthony the security guard. Sorry for all of those we missed.

If you go, you will enjoy this piece of heaven.

Room Tip: The Robdolas are fantastic for privacy. The Carribean 100 block was facing the ocean. All good.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you, Brenda!
It is so good to hear of your amazing vacation at Sandals Grande Antigua. We certainly appreciate you taking the time to tell us how much you enjoyed your stay and we are delighted that all of your expectations were exceeded! We will be eagerly awaiting your return next year!
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This was our 2nd Sandals holiday so we were relative novices compared to some of the guests who attended the welcome back dinner on our second night. Some 200 guests were served a 4 course dinner with Lobster surf ‘n turf for the main course. The number of restaurants and variety of food served was exceptional. There were several restaurants to choose for the evening. Most notable were the understated Soy Sushi bar, Kimonos and Eleanors. For lunch it has to be Barefoot by the sea, with its fresh food and stunning views of the beach. Breakfast is served in 3 restaurants with full waitress service at Eleanors, service here always seemed slow even by Caribbean time, but the food was lovely.
If you are up early grabbing a sunbed is not a problem though the butler services permanently reserve all the beds with umbrellas and some stayed unused all day. By the Mediterranean pool the bar staff come and take your drinks orders from 10.30am. Special mentions for Akiko and Celestine.
The hotel is an amalgamation of the original Caribbean hotel and the newer Mediterranean complex. The site is massive and can take a good 10 mins to briskly walk across the site. Fine if you have young legs like us!
We opted for a poolside walkout room in the Caribbean side. Our room was exactly as described on their website, with a lovely Caribbean feel to the landscaping around the room complexes. The pool, only feet from our patio door was small but great for a quick cool down or a leisurely swim in the morning. There was a hot tub too at 100 deg. F. Don’t be afraid to use the outdoor shower either, it’s heated.
Mr G. the new general manager of 3 weeks when we arrived was very enthusiastic. After the Welcome back dinner it was raining so we waited in a lounge area, I asked Mr G. where I could get a cup of tea, very British I know. He insisted that we take a seat and he would arrange it. I was surprised when after some time he personally brought us our tea, a nice touch Mr G. Keep up the positive customer contact.
We were there when the group of some 180 Canadians arrived, however the hotel is so large that a group of this size is easily absorbed and we didn’t notice any difference to the relaxed style of the hotel.
We made a couple of trips out of the hotel. Shirley Heights on Sunday night was worth the trip, though not worth the money spent through Island Routes, get a taxi. We did the island highlights, a leisurely trip including Shirley heights by day and Nelsons Dockyard. That was the cultural bit done.
I did one of the snorkelling trips to a small reef just off the shore. It was ok, but the sea was a little too choppy for it to be really enjoyable. Unfortunately the boat broke down and we had to wait nearly an hour for the other boat to come and rescue us. I was ok but some felt very sick. That trip ended with a double shot or rum at the bar!
All in all we had a great time. The resort is huge and there was plenty to do if you wanted to. We would definitely go back again, but there are so many other resorts to explore, maybe one day.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 600 block with lovely caribbean style rooms. Walkout rooms are all on ground floo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello TheGeneral21,

We appreciate all of your kind remarks! I will be sure to send your comments with the Mr.G and his team and we are proud of them for delivering such exceptional service. It's wonderful that you enjoyed your time on the beautiful island of Antigua and we look forward to welcoming on your third Sandals holiday!
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

we just returned from an awesome trip to Sandals, Antigua. We were there from March 15-22. This was our 4th visit to a Sandals and this one has quickly become our favourite! The grounds are gorgeous and immaculate, the beach is stunning and the food is fabulous! Our Butlers, Craig and Sheldon were awesome!!! The lovely lady named Spice at Eleanor's made having breakfast there a wonderful experience each day! We stayed in the Butler Rondular suite with the beach right outside of our door! The room was gorgeous, very clean with a super comfy bed! Entertainment was awesome, drinks were plenty and the beautiful sunshine each day was amazing. Spending the extra dollars for Butler service is well worth it as it definitely comes with extra perks which it should as the price difference is quite substantial from a regular room with no services. We loved everything about this resort and will be returning next year WITH Butler service!!!

Room Tip: Book a Butler room if possible, the perks associated with having a Butler are totally worth spending...
Dear ILuv2travel2014,

Thank you for your review! We loved hearing about your incredible time at Sandals Grande Antigua and how much you enjoyed your experience with our awesome staff members. Antigua is an island paradise and it's wonderful that you had all the beach therapy you needed. We hope to see you again soon!

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!