“3rd Sandals experience, truthful, detailed review!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Red Lane® Spa Bonanza!!
Ranked #5 of 20 hotels in St. John's
Toronto, Canada
“3rd Sandals experience, truthful, detailed review!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We just returned from our trip to Sandals Grande Antigua, stayed Nov 24th-Dec 1st!

I have to say, this being our 3rd Sandals experience and our 1st in Antigua my husband and I were expecting the "Sandals feel." There is a distinct reason why we keep returning to these resorts and its the feeling of luxury, over the top amazing staff, excellent food and grounds. We like the Sandals resorts because there is a little extra dazzle in the way they treat you, the feeling you get while you are vacationing and for some reason, this resort lacked that extra dazzle.

We are in no way complainers, we have gone on many vacations, Sandals or not and are very easy-going and not nit picky but that is why this will be a detailed review, an honest one so you can make the right decision for your trip!

When we first arrived, having read numerous reviews about the staff and lack of service, i was very very nervous, service makes a huge difference in the way you enjoy your trip. We originally had booked the Sunset Bluff Honeymoon suite on the Carribbean side. We were taken the the special club level office for check in and were greeted by the staff at the Red Lane spa. Because this resort is so packed, they had to ask them to help with check in. My husband and i were just so happy to be there that we over looked the confusion and rush. We had some champagne and waited for about 20 minutes to be shown to our room. Danesha was very nice and we loved our room when we got there (ROOM #831) at the end of the hall on the 2nd floor. Our balcony though was covered by trees and the bathroom was quite small which we didn't like but didn't want to complain.

The first two nights in that room were not good. We had sand fleas and misquotes everywhere, my husband was killing them every 5 seconds. We each woke up with over 40 bites on our body and we were shocked as to how that happened...it was the room!!!!

On the 2nd night around 2:30am we were in so much pain and so upset we called the night manager Steve and asked to be moved immediately. We were bit everywhere and did not want to stay in that room another night. The greenery from the balcony and the cold location of the room attracted all the bugs inside! We asked for the Med side on a higher level which was completely sold out but he offered us a room on the Caribbean side, but on the other end of the lobby about a 5 minute walk where the balcony was completely clear of trees and greenery (it was an ocean view room above the Bayside restaurant) called the Grande Luxe Beachfront ocean view room I believe. He said we could leave all of our stuff and just come over to sleep and he would get a bellman to move our stuff the next morning. We walked into the room (#121) and were immediately happy, it was clean, bigger bathroom, more modern but most importantly there were NO BUGS (WE CHECKED!). After that night we didn't get bit once so we knew it was the room.

We weren't happy with the bites, they hurt so please make sure to bring Hydro cortisone and Benedryl or any other antihistamine (OFF does not work so please if you get bit, even on the ocean, bring that kind of stuff for you, it will be a life saver), but we were happy with the quick service from Steve to move us, so thank you for that!

The restaurants are good, we had some great meals but it was not as good as Emerald Bay and the Royal Bahamian, which are the other two Sandals we have been too. The food was excellent at Bayside for dinner, it is French cuisine but A HUGE WARNING, the wait is 2 hours. I am not sure if it was that night or every night but you have to wait. We are not difficult so we were patient and when we did get our apps and dinner, we were amazed! The duck and steak, mussels and asparagus soup were out of this world so go early and be patient. The breakfast here is buffet, it is ok, nothing out of this world.

Mario's- the apps are ok, the steak and pork are horrible, but the Risotto was good. The breakfast here is buffet, but I liked it.

Eleanor's- I loved the lamb, the lobster was raved about but we found it just OK since we have tried better at Emerald Bay, do not have the pumpkin soup, it is tasteless, but their breakfast is amazing.

OK Corral-The mexican restaurant, the best chilli ever, I loved the Mahi Mahi and the Chimichurri steak is amazing as well, no complaints with this restaurant.

Drunken Duck- This pub that was open until 2am we found very boring, the activities or performances were boring, the dj was just ok and there was not enough going on to have fun there. We met some couples so that is the only reason we were entertained but the entertainment is very lacking here and throughout the day as well. We played pool most of the time. The food here tho- excellent!

Soy- it was quiet, no music, dead basically and the sushi was not good. It is pre cooked and the chef just cuts the orders for you. The soy ceviche though is worth a try!

Kiminos- We liked the experience, the waitress and cook (Sugar) were entertaining, the food is great as well, they cook good portions and I was stuffed when we left!

Alcohol and wine- I found the house white wine both Pinot and Chardoney very good and they always poured a great amount! The drinks are great, top shelf and many options so no complaint there and all the bars were good with service.

Service- This is where I felt the Sandals experienced lacked. The service is hit and miss, some people, like Violet at Bayside are SO nice and others didn't care about you, didn't smile, didnt greet you well, didn't really care about you, were too quiet, distracted or seemed upset. I read about this and was very nervous, thinking people are just being picky but its true. You want to feel like you are in a 5 star luxurious paradise and they kind of make you feel like you are at an other resort. The size of the resort doesn't help either as it is very big so again, you are lacking the romantic, serene paradise you get from Sandals and what you get from a vacation in general.

The beach is great but the water is NOT crystal clear which was unfortunate and the vendors are relentless, we stayed by the pool most of the time because of this. The pool though was great, we didn't have a hard time finding chairs like people had suggested, but they never had lively music so it felt a bit dead, but the nice water, drinks, company and weather, you have a good time.

One thing I have to say, this is NOT the most romantic resort and i am not sure how it could be voted this, With murky water, and vendors bothering you every 5 seconds and because it is public, sometimes kids running around, how can you find time to be romantic by the beach? If you want romance, serenity and paradise, go to Sandals Emerald Bay!

I know this sounds like I am being nit picky but for someone who loves Sandals, i was really expecting much more, this is truthful, from a person who was expecting a SANDALS experience, what we pay for and what we love from the other two we have visited. The resort is nice, we DID have a good time, but for what we paid and for what we expected, we were a tad disappointed. Trust me though, if you make the most of it, you will have a good time here, we just thought that dazzle was missing.

4,233 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (952)
Queens, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is the 5th Sandal's I've been to this year (all were return visits) and each one was disappointing. My last visit to Sandal's Antigua was last year and so much has changed
since then. Last year we were met in the lobby by a manager and treated like royalty. We've stayed more than 100 nights at Sandals and this stay (even though we booked thru the Sandals website) they didn't even know we had been here last year. I only wrote all of that because Sandals always had a reputation for treating their returning guests well. Now let's talk about my short stay. None of the workers seemed too happy to be there, maybe that was why the activities were really lame. I must say that 'Antonio' the playmaker & 'Latoya' the bartender
were exceptions. They have a large beautiful main pool but it is extremely boring to float around
without entertainment. They tried to entertain the guests by playing music but the DJ would cut each record halfway thru and then proceed to talk for 5 minutes before playing a half of the next song. Then when he left to go to the other area of the resort the music was turned off [it doesn't take a lot to play an ipod or CD]. The night entertainment was sporadic with some scheduled events not happening and no explanation given. We were in the Pub one night for hours waiting for the entertainment the bartender promised would start at 9:30. We finally left at 11:30 without hearing 1 musical note. The food was only OK. We ate at the Bistro, Mario's, Eleanor's, The Bayside, The Drunken Duck Pub and OK Corral at various times of the day and the only memorable part of any meal for me was the desert we had 1 night at Mario's. Sandals is going down while other chains like Iberostar, Secrets and Riu are getting better.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review.
We regret to hear that you did not fully enjoy your stay at Sandals Grande Antigua. Anything less than perfect indicates room for improvement on our part as we strive to provide our guests with the best experience possible.

We want to make sure future guests do not have similar feedback and will take action by notifying the appropriate departments of your remarks - including our entertainment team. We do request that while on resort you notify us of anything that does not meet your standards. We are always willing to work with you to make sure you walk away feeling like your stay was money well spent.
Oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I wouldn't typically write a review of a hotel because I just don't feel the need to usually... This resort is getting some bogus reviews recently and I hate to see a set of mixed reviews turn people off of going somewhere that is definitely a worthwhile stay.

First of all I would like to say that Sandals Grande Antigua has amazing food, so much so that I am going to write a HUGE paragraph or 3 on just the food. I have been to all inclusive's in the Dominican, Jamaica, Mexico, and Aruba and can say that the food here at this Sandals Antigua was as good as Sandals Whitehouse which topped my list previously for best food at an AI. If you can't find something you like your full of crap, there is delicious duck, steak, and lamb at the Bayside for dinner just to name a few. And if you want to eat all 3 in one night go right ahead, they won't mind. At Elanor's there is hen and lobster tails which are both great, the sushi was fantastic at Soy and the teppanyaki at Kimono's came with a good show and lots of flavor. At the drunk duck don't pass up the chicken wrap or the fantastic chowder. If you are a lover of desserts, your in for a treat with the Lava Cake, and the Peanut Butter French toast, eat until your hearts content!! As far as the breakfast goes, there is a great buffet offered at 2 locations as well as fancier non-buffet style at Elanor's. The non-buffet will appeal to even a sophisticated pallet.

If you think your Gordon Ramsey and your head is about the size of that jerk's well then maybe you should be taking your 5 star butt on down the road to a different resort. Even the lunch is pretty decent and there is a good selection at the buffet and other restaurants. If your looking for some great flavor go to the grab and go and pickup the roti, it's absolutely amazing, too bad I only found that on my 3rd last day.

Another thing I see people complaining about is the wait times. Look at it this way, where are you going after dinner? There is no appointment to rush off to, no kids to have to get home to. Hurry up and WAIT! Your on vacation, in many cases your eating outside and have a beautiful view of the ocean. Do some people watching and have a good laugh or two, talk to the couples around you. I laughed at more than a few people that were complaining about wait times in the restaurants, what on earth for, so you have more time to go back to your room at watch tv. Learn to slow down, and remember where you are. You don't have to go to work the next day, take it easy and embrace the time you have on this beautiful island.

As far as the room goes, we were on the second floor in 818 on the Caribbean side with the concierge service. The bathroom wasn't the best, but who really cares that the tub doesn't drain very well, I am taking a shower in there a few times a day, not taking up residency. Is it the bathroom in the ultra fantastic style of the Halekulani on Waikiki where I have stayed, not even close but I can sure brush my teeth without any discomfort. If you have an issue with the room, you can always talk to the concierge and they will move you no doubt. Get over yourselves princesses!

The resort itself is quite big, you can go to many areas with your significant other and be by yourself if you want to. There are more pools than I could swim in over the course of the week but where they really win is the beach front which is AMAZING. The waters were just a bit too choppy for seeing the bottom but the temperatures were fantastic (easily 84), and I probably only spent about an hour or 2 in the numerous pools because the ocean and beach were so good. There are hammocks you can enjoy with your wife/husband, huge beds overlooking the ocean with outdoor fireplaces in the centre, beautiful gardens, this place is somewhere anyone would be happy to call home.

If you want to have a great time and see the island, I will give you a great tip as well. Don't bother with renting a car, driving there is pretty crazy, and there is no central road that you could just take around the entire island. At the front they offered me a private taxi for the day, the cost was a whopping $260 US, no thanks! So I said exactly that "no thanks", we went downtown met a great local guy, who is originally front St Kits & Nevis. His name is Caswall Robin, and he can show you how to relax and slow down with his super relaxed driving style and knowledge of the island. We went to all the hot spots, Devils Bridge, Nelsons Dockyard, a huge beach with a different flavor from the one at Sandals and it was only $80 US. Give this guy a good tip because he is the man and deserves it. Call him up at 722-9268. If you go to the front desk they will place the call for you, and speak with Mr Robin and arrange the pickup times and everything. This guy is very friendly, courteous and not like the majority of the pushy drivers there hound you downtown. Tell him Wes and Sarah sent you, he will love it.

Anyway, this resort is 4 or as they call it 4.5 stars. You can get some great deals online if you look around, so do your homework and don't complain when you get there. The stay here or anywhere is only going to be as good as you make it, take your time, enjoy your meals and say hi to the sand for me!

Wes...

Room Tip: Bring some ear plugs if your a light sleeper, there are some crickets and tree frogs that enjoy the...
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Beautiful property surrounded by flowers and vegetation. I felt like a princess every time I entered my ocean view suite. Spacious, clean, amenities Red Lane, coffee machine with pods, nice linen. Then the restaurants were excellent. A good variety to please everyone's palette. The Cafe de Paris sure hit the spot at any time of the day. A vast choice of coffees, cookies and ice cream! Try the coconut one, it's delicious! The beach was calm and clean but not too long. Many vendors come to sell u their treasures. Definitely recommend it for honeymooners because of the butler service available and also the different types of rooms; cabins with private pool, 2 floor rooms with swim up pool and then there is the Mediterranean and Caribbean sections of the hotel. When sipping my coffee on my balcony what a breath taking view! Highly recommend this destination. Island quite small only 89,000 people. Tiny airport but they are expanding.

Room Tip: I chose the ocean front one bedroom suite with concierge.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
lincolnshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Stayed recently at Sandals Antigua. Our holiday has to be rated as very good but having been to other Sandals resorts I have to say there are things 'lacking'. This is difficult to pinpoint as our problems were resolved but for the type of resort/company these should not have arisen in the first place.
Prior to our visit I sent an e mail to a sales consultant, Ezra, having been given her name by Sandals in the UK. I had few very minor requests and questions that I asked for response too. Following her first reply she sadly did not reply further and it is fair to say that this lady almost went out of her way to avoid us. We were not given the room location we initially asked for and we were advised to speak with her the day after arrival. She failed to appear and it seemed that someone else had been sent to speak with us.(Lesley) (All we wanted was a room in a quiet location on the first floor which we didn't realise was the 2nd floor in Antigua)
This matter was eventually resolved when we spoke with Dianah and then Shernell who went to great lengths to resolve this issue, taking the matter personally and constantly reassuring us that it would be sorted out. We were told that Ezra would speak with us and had indeed left messages (which she hadn't). In real terms she does no favours to Sandals to represent them in the industry they are in.
Our holiday overall was acceptable and got better as the two weeks progressed.
Our top restaurant was probably Marios and the staff there certainly went the extra mile to make sure everything was good.
Kiminos was a bit hit and miss. One meal good one not so and Barefoot lived up to all it claims.
The pizza bar was ok, not exceptional, Barefoot again good and average. Eleanors had a great location but the lobster was overcooked and the rest of the meal was not overly brilliant.
Whilst this sounds a bit 'moany' it is not meant that way as we did enjoy our stay but that was mainly due to the intervention of Dianah and Shernell.
Would we return to Sandals Antigua ? I don't think so. It does not compare with St Lucia or Ocho Rios.
Staff wise I would say that the ones who do the most credit to Sandals are the girls who serve around the beach and pool as they do a great job and without doubt Evette the lady who looked after our room. The rest do their job, but when you pay a lot of money one would expect that.

We met some nice people and that is a real bonus and makes the holiday memorable. - Hi Eric and Jen.

We are going to White House in the spring and hope that is a big improvement.

Room Tip: Caribbean side can be quite noisy near to the pool as it is used for games etc.
Bournemouth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Just arrived the staff in the restaurant had no interest in serving us, we didn't even get offer us a glass of water, birds flying from table to table eating crumbs, staff so uninterested. In their job. Read other reports and thought that people were just expecting too much but unfortunately it's true,I feel like getting back kntheplane to go to St Lucia Grande, it's a different world. If you are undecided go to St Lucia the service is so much more superior and everyone wants you to have a great holiday. Have only been here 3 hours, it's going to be a long week.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
I'm so sorry to hear that you aren't enjoying your stay with us. I will contact you via private message to see how we can resolve this matter while you are still on property. I also encourage you to reach out to one of our Guest Services staff members, if you have not already. They are always willing to assist and make sure that any challenge you have is resolved to your satisfaction. Please give us a chance to make this up to you. We always want to ensure that all of our guests are having a wonderful vacation and it would be nice if we were able to turn things around for you.

Thank you for your review. We look forward to making contact with you soon.
Pottstown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon at Sandals Grande Antigua. Overall, it was great place for a honeymoon, but it seemed like the restaurants were understaffed while we were there. Most of the restaurants where breakfast was served were buffet style, but there was still a wait sometimes despite the fact that there were many open tables. There weren't many people cleaning up and there was minimal wait staff. This may be because it was the "off season" but it was definitely noticeable. For a change of pace, one day we went to Eleanor's for the a la carte breakfast. We NEVER complain when we go to restaurants, but we had to ask when our food was coming because it took so long. When we actually got the food, it was good. My wife raved about the goat cheese omelette. There are two restaurants that require reservations for dinner: Eleanor's and Kimonos. We went to both. The best thing we had at Eleanor's was the coconut soup. They had a piña colada creme brûlée on the menu for dessert, but they were out of it on the night we went. We talked to another couple and they said it was out of this world. Kimonos is a hibachi-style restaurant. Our cook, Eric, was very entertaining. He did the typical hibachi tricks that you usually see, but he also provided his own soundtrack by singing his favorite pop hits. Funny. We both got the mixed grill as an appetizer. It was three different meats and sauces served in shot glasses. It was an interesting presentation and it tasted good. The chef made the best vegetable fried rice that I've ever had. The entrees included salmon, chicken, and steak and everyone got a good portion of each. The only bad thing I would say about Kimonos is that they were out of sake. Most of their specialty drinks included sake so a lot of people were disappointed. There was also a sushi bar called Soy that was attached to Kimonos. We went to Soy later in the week to try it out (and I was hoping that they would have sake by then...they didn't. Disappointing for sushi bar). We like sushi rolls, but we're not very adventurous so it was a good place for us. They had the basic sushi rolls (spicy tuna, California) pre-made and the chef just cut them into pieces when you ordered. The more elaborate dishes were made from scratch. We had the best Philadelphia roll that we ever had which says something considering that we're both from Philadelphia and we still live in the area. We know our cream cheese! The best restaurant on the resort, in my opinion, was the OK Corral. We both had chili as an appetizer and it was just enough spice that it gave it a kick without overwhelming the flavor. We went to Mario's for dinner one night and the highlight was the appetizer bar. The entrees were ok. From a food perspective, there are two things that stick out in my head: 1.) This might sound strange, but the pizza at Mario's was amazing.They had a reasonable number of items on the pizza menu. We had pizza for lunch on most days and we liked everything we tried. 2.) The private dinner on the beach was worth the extra $170 (US). The service was good and the food was great. The menu was mostly seafood which we both like so it was up our alley. The private dinner was all about the ambience. Table for two right on the beach with a tiki torch to provide the candlelight motif.

We never had a problem getting drinks at the multiple bars on the resort. The bartenders were all friendly and fast. There was a "drink of the day" every day and it was usually pretty good. The popular drinks were the chocolate monkey, BBC, and the banana sip-sop. Of course they had the typical daiquiris, piña coladas, Miami Vice, and every drink that's made with Blue Curacao. There was some variability with the drinks depending on who made them, but that's to be expected. My wife's go-to drink was the frozen mojito which was actually made with mint and not just some mix. When I wanted a tropical drink, my go-to was called a dirty banana. The local beer that they had on tap was called Wadali Lager. It tasted like Heineken to me. They also had Carib Lager in bottles and, if you never had it before, it tasted like Carlsberg. There was a bar called the Drunken Duck that opened at 5pm and was open until 2am. It was an English style pub so they had Guinness, Bass, etc. in bottles. There was a DJ every night and karaoke on Sundays and Thursdays. It also had a dart board and three billiard tables. We enjoyed our late nights at the Drunken Duck. It was a fun spot especially on karaoke night.

We wanted to relax for the most part so we only did two excursions. We went on the sunset cruise and we did the zip line canopy tour. The sunset cruise was on a catamaran and they played the usual Caribbean and served rum punch and other such drinks. It was a 2 hour cruise around part of the island at sunset. Great scenery as you might expect. The zip line tour was great. Apparently there was a special through Sandals so we did 11 zip lines instead of the usual 6 and we also were able to do the challenge course. I wouldn't recommend the challenge course if you're afraid of heights.

The beach was nice, of course, but if you've never been to a Caribbean island be prepared to be harassed by people trying to sell you stuff. There are no private beaches so anyone is allowed to roam around selling tours (jet skis, horseback riding, fishing trips), jewelry, hair-braiding, etc.

This was my first experience with Sandals and my wife's 4th. It was a great time, but the service at the restaurants could have been better.

• Stayed November 2013
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Thank you for your review.
We are pleased that overall you had an amazing time at Sandals Grande Antigua.
We appreciate all of your feedback and will be forwarding your concerns to our resort management team for immediate evaluation.
We look forward to welcoming you back for an even more amazing time.

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!