“Great but Not Perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 20 hotels in St. John's
Farmington, New York, United States
“Great but Not Perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We did have an amazing time here. We went for our honeymoon. I put the blame on what we were disappointed in on our travel agent actually. See below for a full description on our experience.
Arrival: We had expected a long check in process,as we were for warned by the travel agent that it would be since the resort is almost always filled. It actually wasn't too bad, definitely not as long as we expected. The transportation was provided as we were told it would be. However, the "taxi" that was provided was very questionable in safety. We were afraid that it was going to break down at any minute. The driver, very nice and very funny. No real complaints about arrival besides the questionable safety of the taxi its self.
Our room:
When we arrived we were told that our room had to be changed. We were not given a reason and we still dont know if the room we got, compared to the room we paid for are comparable to each other but I hope so. The room we ended up with with nice and had a great ocean view so we did not complain or ask about the room situation. The gentleman who showed us to our room was very nice. Our room was clean and the bed was nicely made with fresh sheets. The only complaint we have regarding the room was that the bath tub ( a jacuzzi style) was dirty and did not seemed clean. When we sat in it and turned the water on, a bunch of black stuff would sink to the bottom and float on top. Other than that, it was cleaned daily and refreshed with sheets, towels etc. We had a very very comfy chair in our room that seated 2 and we napped on a few times.
Food:
Food was great. Not a lot of selection for breakfast, its basically the same buffet in two restaurants every day unless you want room service, which was not very good at all. BUT the buffet was very good. Our favorite of all the restaurants was actually the pizza place. The four cheese pizza was nothing short of amazing. We paid for a dinner on the beach, which was perfect. Our second favorite was the OK Corral and Kimonos. The chef we had at Kimonos was so funny and interactive. Food was so very good. I read before we went that Eleanors had the most amazing lobster tail, bit we were not a fan. No real complaints on the food, it was really all very good and something for everyone.
Alcohol:
We did have a bar in our room. A few comomon liquors, beer and champaign. But we never made more than one or two mimosas in our room. We typically used the other bars for our drinks. The drinks, amazing. Bars did run out of some things but never was really a problem. We found that every bar tender had a favorite and we typically asked for that. The only complaint about alcohol is that the only 2 wines included for free were Beringer Merlot and Pinot Grigio. Neither are sweet wines and any other wine is $15 per glass or $30 and up for a bottle.
Activities:
We were happy to see that every night there was something planned, but also that you could still find quiet spots to sit and enjoy your spouse. We did attend the managers cocktail hour, the White Party, the talent showcase, and plenty of live music acts. My favorite, the chocolate fondu and martini party.
We were told that we "wont have to bring a dollar" by our travel agent. That was correct ONLY if you plan on strictly eating, drinking and spending time in the pool or at the beach. We paid in advance to do the shopping experience which was fun yet scary, they drop you off and leave you for 2.5 hours in a not so safe area it seemed. But we also did things like the scuba diving course and experience. We paid $90 each for the course and an actually ocean dive. We would have thought that the wet suits would be included in that fee, they were not. We paid $10 extra each for our wet suits. Same with snorkeling. They advertise it as free, which it is but you cant do it unless you pay the $20 course fee that they recommend you take. Same with tipping, there is a no tipping policy. But all the taxis expect tips. We did a photo shoot "for free" but if you want their pictures, plan on spending atleast $200. They have packages or you can purchase idividuals for $14 each.To me, it was a straight rip off but my husband wanted those pictures. You will find people wanting to take your picture through out the trip. If you let them, you will be bale to purchase those as well. Everything in the shop is extremely expensive. So I would bring anything you would possibly need instead of planning on purchasing there.
We did the sunset cruise which was incredible and well worth the money. We did the couples massage and the 30 minute foot rub. Both were amazing.
Over all we met some really great people, had a ton of fun and relaxation. If I could give any tips I would say, bring a good amount of money, don't eat outside of the resort and talk with people. I dont know that we would go again, but definitely try another sandals resort somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Thank you for your review of Sandals Grande Antigua, Tonya.
We are pleased that you had a great time at our resort and enjoying the fabulous amenities.
As hoteliers, we realize there is always room for improvement and we appreciate all of your feedback. I will be forwarding your concerns on to our management team for further review.
On a future stay with us, please do not hesitate to notify our staff on property of anything that does not meet your standards. The are always willing to work with you to make sure you have the best experience possible.
We look forward to welcoming you to one of our other beautiful properties in the future!

4,159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (920)
Bethel, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We did a lot of research before our trip, looked at many reviews of many resorts, checked prices and talked with our travel agent. All signs pointed to SGA as the destination to celebrate our 25th anniversary.

Funny that the very beginning of this trip set the tone for the whole week. The flight from New York's JFK actually left the ground 5 minutes early and landed in Antigua 10 minutes early. Less than 1 hour from touchdown we were sitting in the Caribbean lobby sipping champagne. Nice.

It was raining on arrival, and the next day there were a few short showers, but every day the weather was better than the next. There were some beautiful rain storms out at sea which were great to look at from the sunny beach. One had an impressive water spout.
We stayed in the 700 block of rooms with butler service. When we first started looking for reservations we were trying to keep the budget tight, but the more we thought about it, butler service seemed to make the most sense. And it was the perfect choice for us. In fact we decided that the room we were given was the perfect room: Close to the beach, but not on the main beach-front path. I'd tell you the room number, but I want to make sure it's available when we go back....and we will be back!

I would not consider us the type of people that need a butler. We're pretty independent and will always make do with what we have. Our main butlers, Vanessa and Julian, and the sub for their day off, Tricia, were so friendly and so helpful it just blew us away. And they kept suggesting ways to use their service. It didn't take us long to get used to picking up the cell phone and asking for more beer or water for the beach cooler, a takeout lunch from the pizza place or the Grab & Go delivered to our chairs, or get a snorkeling or excursion reservation.
They also made the dinner reservations. After all the reading about the various restaurants we weren't sure when to go to which one. When we arrived Julian had the entire weeks dinner schedule set up for us. Perfect!

Another guest asked if I would do the butler service again. My answer was absolutely! We are hooked! But we did get the idea that SGA will work with or without the service.

The nice thing about SGA is you can make it what you want. Our basic plan was to spend each day at the beach (we are beach people). We love playing in the water, snorkeling and sailing. Love the buoyancy on the water...so easy to lay back and just float around. Other than the days we arrived and left, lunch on the beach at our butler reserved chairs under the umbrella was the norm. Later in the afternoon we'd head to either of the pools/swim up bars. Latoya and Manon were fun and prompt with the drinks. As the sun went down we'd slip into the hot tub.

We know that many people prefer the pool. The Grove pool was smaller and quiet. The Mediterranean pool was huge with lots of entertainment during the day. The playmakers do a nice job. Whatever your idea of fun, it's there.

The only restaurant that required long pants and shoes for the men was Eleanor's. I think it was our favorite place. We even stopped by for a take-out Creme Brulee! Our favorite desert, though the Lava Cake at Mario's and the Chocolate Mousse from Bayside give it a run for its money. Most nights we had dinner at 6:30. No line, quick service. Our least favorite was Kimono's. The food was good and the company fun, but they ran out of Saki. Not a big deal, but kind of like running out of Vodka in Russia. All in all we were very pleased with all the food choices. Gourmets and foodies may be more critical, but it worked for us.

My wife went to the Red Lane Spa for a Swedish massage and was very happy with the service. I have read reviews that said they felt like they were being hard sold all week long. Quite the opposite experience for us. She booked this through the butler as well.

I did two 2 tank dives. There had been a lot of rain the week before so visibilities were variable. I'd say we had an average of 40' on each dive. Though I didn't go on the one tank dive, I'd heard that visibility varied from 20' to 3'. I had lots of fun on my dives. The crew was great and very professional: Ray, James, and the worst captain ever (just kidding! :). Saw a variety of sea life with the topper a beautiful Spotted Ray and a Sea Turtle that lazily circled our group in about 60' of water.

Antigua is not noted to be a dive mecca and if you have lots of dives in exotic locations you may be a bit disappointed, But I loved is as I don't get to dive very often. I did make a point of diving at home just before the trip so I wouldn't have to do a refresher on vacation. I'll also bring my own fins next time as I'm not a fan of the slip on fins. I wore a dive skin and a thin wet suit for each dive and was very comfortable. The dive shop rents wet suits for $10 if you need one, but I brought my own. The BC's and regulators were fine. Daily two tank dives are at 8AM, so there is just enough time to grab a great breakfast at Bayside or Mario's (they open at 7:30) or something quick at the Cafe de Paris. We don't drink coffee, but the Cafe was a big hit with a lot of people.

The snorkeling was good. 3 trips per day. The farthest about a 20 minute boat ride. Captain Sherman and mate Josie were great. Again, visibility varied, but they seemed to find good spots with around 30' of visibility. The 2:30 trip seems to be the most busy, so sign up early in the day or the day before. The other two trips you can probably show and go.
The bands in the evening were good. I'm a musician so I can be a bit critical, but for the most part they did a great job. I got up on stage with one band on talent night. Definite pros, and I was thankful that the bassist lent he his bass for a song. Love playing and singing the Bill Wither's song, Use Me. Wish I had the chance to do a few more with them. I also enjoyed getting up a few times for Karaoke night (it's Thursday and Sunday). A fun bunch, some real talent, some not so much, but all having a great time.

Every evening the next day's schedule is delivered to your door. A great aid to plan out your day and night.

We took the Extreme Circumnavigation tour on Thursday and had a great time. The crew was fun and knowledgeable. I think there was Trevor and Sean, maybe Gervase? Not really sure. The other passengers were fun too. This trip makes many more stops than the big cat cruises due to the fact that this boat flies from stop to stop. Fun at Stingray City and Nelson's Dockyard, lunch on Green Island, various stops for local points of interest and island history, and the last stop for Rum Punch on deserted Paradise Beach. Next time we will do the ECO Tour run by the same company. We booked through Sandals.

Local vendors on the beach. No problems for us. A polite no thank you and they move along. Some were pretty funny. We did buy some necklaces and a shirt on the last day. You may see a few vendors selling hats that they weave out of palm leaves. Love these hats. When they dry out they turn brown which probably takes a few weeks. I found out the hard way that U.S. customs won't let them back into the country if they are green so I had to give it up in NYC. The beach vendor told me it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm sure he had no idea.

Animals: Cats are around. We love cats. We brought cat treats that most of them loved. The black cat decided that we should get up a 7:30 each morning and give him more. He did this by meowing under the door. We decided to give them treats, but not near our room. One couple had the black cat sleep in their bed one night. Probably not the best idea, but I understand. Most of the cats are friendly if you want them to be. If you don't like cats, then ignore them and they will ignore you.

Birds: Yep, there's birds. If you leave your table cover your plate or they will help themselves. Other than that they're harmless.

Lizards: Yep, them too. Good luck if you want to catch one. They are pretty fast, but harmless.

The only time we noticed any biting bugs was at the Butler's Cocktail party in front of the big building on the Med side. They did fog 3 or 4 times, so I guess it worked everywhere else. Not an issue for us, even on the beach or at the pools.

I wish we had more time to visit more of the island and learn more about the culture. Next time! We met a lot of great people from all over the world. All were happy and all were smiling.

We enjoyed the entire staff of Sandals. All do a great job taking care of you. Most vacations seem to go by so fast, but we felt so comfortable at SGA that it felt like we had been there forever...in a good way. Definitely feeling withdrawal today. Sandals, we are yours. Signed up for SSG at the resort, and now I'll register online. Can't wait for the next trip. The only question is which Sandals location will it be. It'll be hard to beat Sandals Grande Antigua!

Room Tip: I liked having a room that is centrally located. Right between the beach and the pools. Easy walk to...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We stayed from 9th to 19th October 2013 and had a lovely time. This was our first Sandals experience and we thoroughly enjoyed it. All of the staff here are first class, they are all so friendly and they just want you to enjoy yourself. They always have a smile for you and say hello. Our room was very clean and comfortable, the only thing that was wrong was that the fridge was quite noisy, so I had to switch it off at night. We went on the Barbuda Boat Trip which was very pricey and we don't think it was worth it. We also did the Sandals only Circumnavigation Catamaran Trip which was superb and we'd thoroughly recommend it. The beach vendors added character to the place and were not a problem. Please try and support them, they are lovely people, especially a lady called Evelyn. She has one front tooth, wears a head scarf and carries a white plastic bucket. She made a necklace for my boyfriend exactly what he asked for. If you speak to her please say hello from Ruth & Simon. We may return but want to try other Sandals Resorts

Room Tip: High Floor Meditterean Rooms probably best we were in 7207 (second floor) but limited ocean view. We...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We had a blast here. The resort is amazing the food was amazing. I have a seafood allergy and they went above and beyond to make sure I was safe at all times. They even had the executive chef meet with me my first day and he prepared all my food personally while I was there. He went as far to order new pots and pans.
The atmosphere was great and very relaxing. The casino that was attached to the property was a blast. I would defiantly come back time and time again. Great place to relax.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review, Crystal.The staff members are wonderful and will certainly do all they can to make sure you have a fantastic time when you stay with us! It is lovely that you enjoyed all the meals and that they took great care of you!
We hope to welcome you back soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Can i just firstly say to those who are reading these reviews to bare in mind that some people nit pick. This resort is amazing. It was our first time to antigua sandals but we have done sandals once before and we will always do sandals from here on.
I'm going to TRY and make this fast so here are the reasons why its so good.
1. Its immaculate. Your rooms are and the resort itself is. People are working around the clock to keep it this way. Even the public toilets are spotless.
2. Food is lush. Eleanor's being my favourite (the lobster is to die for) but you do have to make a reservation.
3. The staff are as nice as can be. Every time u pass a member of staff they will stop what they are doing and say hello. We certainly don't get that in our country.
4. The main pool is huge! Yes if u want shade you may have to get there really early and reserve a sun bed but if you don't there are plenty available.
5. We stayed in the med block- the rooms are perfect..the bathroom is huge and you have everything you need.
6. The little cafe..was one of the best extras we loved at this resort..the staff are the friendliest people and they make the best crepes. (Try the lemon grass ice tea).
7. And last but not least the entertainment (playmakers) they made our vacation. We miss them loads.. Antonio..mani..shaunte..mojo.. And two other lovely ladies whos name i cant quite remember..(one who can dance and one who can sing!) they are the heart of the resort. Within a day they all knew our names and we spent most of our nights with them! They work so hard!!
We had a couple of things that i could moan about on here but they were very small things..and no place is perfect!! So like i said when you read a bad review just bare in mind that people analyse every single little thing.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Sandals Grande Antigua! We are so pleased to hear of all the wonderful memories you made on your holiday. The staff will appreciate all your kind remarks and knowing that they played a large role in the reason you will return to Sandals!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Sandals Grande Antigua was an absolute pleasure to stay at. The resort is beautiful and well-kept and the room we stayed at (Romeo & Juliet room) was truly grand. The restaurants had fantastic food and our butlers provided us everything we needed. The pools were very nice but we did have to take advantage of our butler to find some shade. If we decided to go grab a shaded seat by the pool on a whim, it wasn't always possible. My one complaint was about the beach. The sand there wasn't the best, and it was filled with vendors and didn't provide the quiet romantic setting I was hoping for. The vendors aren't too bad, a smile and a no was enough to send them away, but I could do without the hassle. Overall it was a very good time and I wouldn't hesitate to come back here.

Room Tip: The nice rooms are on the Mediterranean Village side, get a room as high as possible to get a nice v...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of Sandals Grande Antigua! It was a pleasure to have had you as our guest! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and enjoyed all that the resort offers. We appreciate your feedback, as we are always striving to provide guests with the perfect vacation experience.
We hope to welcome you back soon!
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I came here with my family and just loved the resort. The atompshere around was so relaxed. The private beach on your doorstep was fantasic - no one ever used the pool! The food was above my expectations and the restaurants were great. The mexican was my favourite. We also had a beach party one night and had our meal on the sand! The staff were so friendly. Perfect resort to relax in. You also need to go up to the shack on the hill for some amazing ribs!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and for sharing those beautiful photos! Your vacation experience at Sandals Grande Antigua sounds perfect and we are thrilled that you enjoyed it all!
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to paradise!

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!