“Best Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nesconset, New York
“Best Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Sandals in Antigua was by far the best vacation we have ever been on. We were blown away by our butler service and special it made our honeymoon! They were so professional and took care of everything, big or small, with such ease it was incredible. We would highly recommend the butler service here at Sandals Antigua to make your stay care-free and really special. The beach and pool were spectacular, the restaurants were great, and all the service people were absolutely wonderful as well. This was by far the best vacation we have ever been on!

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor of the Almond Tower on the Mediterranean side which I believe had better...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,204)
Easley, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Being in the travel business, I sometimes get to experience the same resort multiple times and I recently visited Sandals Grande Antigua for the second time. I was excited because it had been awhile since my last visit and I wanted to get re-acquainted with it. Grande Antigua didn't disappoint as usual. This visit I stayed in the Mediterranean Village and I LOVED IT!!! It was a gorgeous room, in true Sandals style, with a fabulous fountain/garden/pool/ocean view! One thing I always love about Sandals Resorts is that special care is taken to make sure every room has a pretty view. If you have a basic "garden view" room, rest assured it's a GORGEOUS garden view! The view outside my patio door, especially at night, was perfect.

The staff was, of course, friendly and fun.....That's just how Sandals does it. I never have complaints with that. A spa appointment, a band aid, a ride to Grand Pineapple, and room service....all I had to do was call. They make it so easy. I was horrified that I had cut myself shaving and had left a trail of blood in my room before I even realized it! The housekeeper who cleaned up my mess and brought me a band aid, knew just how to pick on me and make me cry laughing to not feel so bad about it. I love moments like that and people that make them happen!

Now, on to the good stuff...the food. The food was soooo good! I was a little more impressed with it this time. The dining service was faster and the food was way better than I remember from years past. Not that it was ever bad before, but they have definitely brought their 'A' game with Discover Dining....new food, new experiences, all good. I was not disappointed with anything.

Another important factor for me in choosing a resort is the nightlife. Grande Antigua does the nightlife well :) A DJ with a dance floor right off the beach was my favorite! It was the perfect place to be able to stretch out and dance! The pub also has all my favorites, too!....Dancing and karaoke! It was lively and big! I loved it!

During the day, my FAVORITE spot at this resort was the pool. I am a beach-kinda girl, but I enjoyed the pool here more. Finding a spot to be with the crowd or by yourself is not difficult...both are easy to find. I did spend a little time walking on the beach and it is definitely enjoyable, I was just drawn to the pool because of my private nook :) It was quiet and I was able to get a little work done.

I totally understand why this resort receives so much attention and so many honors. The airfare to get there from my part of the country makes it a little more expensive, but if you find a flight deal, jump on it. Antigua is just one more area of the Caribbean that most haven't seen or possibly even heard of, but it is SO worth the trip.

I loved this resort and I know you will, too!

Room Tip: The Mediterranean Village is my favorite at this resort and my room was close to the "hub"...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Crystal Lake, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Just returned with my wife on July 27th from a wedding/honeymoon experience. I would highly rate this property. Very relaxing with all activities and food/drink at your finger tips. If you find yourself having a bad time here then I honestly believe there is no hope for you. Yes, you can find things to complain about but no place is perfect and this is in a paradise. Let's break this down:
1. People- The staff does their best to accommodate you in every fashion. From the wait staff at the various restaurants to the bartenders at any of the bars. I thought David at the Drunken Duck was outstanding and very friendly and informative. High praise should go out to Luanna the wedding coordinator as she did a fabulous job. Photographers Javier and Dan Roy were engaging and will tell you stories for a good amount of time about local culture if you are interested. My only "complaint" for improvement would be the front desk staff at the Caribbean side of the property. Asking for assistance to correct minor issues such as in room breakfast usually falls on deaf ears and is left to you to correct on your own. Lastly, the other guests themselves. Not to mention names but we made some really good friends on the property from Florida, PA, DE, and CT. Very classy and engaging. Oh, one more complaint: Stop with the speedos European vacationers! Enough said but it was nice having an international contingency on the property.

2. Restaurants: I tried each and every restaurant on the property. I cannot speak to the breakfast menu as I was never up in time to begin my day at the pool with a drink. My favorite restaurant would have to be Eleanors (need to make reservations and make sure to get the lobster. Absolutely huge and very good). If not Eleanors I would recommend Mario's (Nice inside restaurant with an Italian flair). Barefoot is on the beach and in the sand. Just made for a great setting even with the birds that wait for your food. The other restaurants are good with my least favorite being OK Corral. One comment: Turn down the heat or turn up the AC in the Japanese Steakhouse. My god! If the resort requires you to wear pants to this establishment please don't make me want to pass out from being in a steam bath!

3. Pools: Awesome. Whether you want a private smaller pool close to your rooms or the main large pool on the newer side of the resort you cant go wrong. They even have a medium size pool with bar service that features a "lazy river. " I found all relaxing and fun. Whether you are there to sit in the water and float, drink in or out of the pool or simply read a book working on your tan all the pools will fit your needs. I never found it difficult to find a place to camp out for the day and contrary to other reviews I didn't feel anyone was hogging the floatation devices.

4. Ocean: Take advantage of the free water activities whether it be a sail boat, canoe, or other equipment. Just grab a life vest, check in with the beach desk and head out. That easy. No time duration and plenty of equipment to go around. Its lots of fun and certainly gives you another viewpoint of the property. The water is warm and clear. On the beach you will find the vendors but I found all to be friendly. Maybe only one was a tad pushy but if you say no they will not bother you again for that day at least.

5. Security: Very impressed. Lots of it. All around the island and mainly by the entry points. I never felt uneasy or unsafe on the resort grounds. Even our trip into the city of St. John's wasn't bad although it clearly is in a less than desirable part of town to get your marriage license. The hotel gets it all done for you in terms of transportation and readying the documents. All you do is have to sign and you make good friends along the way. It was interesting to see the prison on the island while driving to get our documents. No place I would ever ever want to be! Rough!

6. Wildlife- This resort has resident cats. They are friendly and unless you feed them they keep to themselves. The birds: Well, I really saw three types. The seagulls and small black birds. They don't like each other and seem to be competing to steal your food when they can. I found it humorous though. The third bird was a cross between a pigeon and a hen. They just walk around. I called them dodo birds as they looked kinda dumb! Lizards. They are out and about and mainly you see them at dusk. Different sizes and colors. Never a bother. Oh, I saw a hermit crab too. Just saying.

7. Airport Transportation: On arrival you will get off the plane and head to customs. Once out you will find your bags off to the side room. People are there to assist you but tell them no unless you need the help out the taxi/bus transportation stand across the street. They will expect a tip. On the way back: The resort will have you leave 2 hours before your plane is scheduled to depart. ASK FOR AN EARLIER TIME TO LEAVE. We are very happy we left 3 hours before our plane was to take off. Long lines for bag check in, a line to get into the airport, customs, and then security. Also, this is a sad airport. Its more like a refugee camp or greyhound bus station in the bad part of town (no its not dangerous and the people are nice but you our on your own once there). The 4 gates have little seating for the amount of people that it needs to accommodate. They are building an extension and not a moment too soon!

I love this resort and cant wait to go back. I heard from others who had been to other Sandals and said this is either the best or 2nd best in the Caribbean.

baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I visited this fine resort for a week beginning 27July. We booked thru the travel agency, Faredeals which has served us well over the last 10 years. I recommend them strongly--they have a web site and speaking to the boss, Darlene can gert you great deals. We flew out and back on US Air. This is the worst customer service we ever experienced and if you have a choice, fly anyone else. Antigua airport is quite primitive so geting thru immigration and customs took some time. Meanwhile they are building a new terminal which will be done next year. After the red tape we met the
sandaals reps and they got us on a very comfortable shuttle and in 20 minutes or so we arrived. The consierge had everything lined up and we got escorted to our room. It was a very comfortable room--bar, coffee, regrig with beer and sodas, etc. We were 15 yards from a small pool and a 5 min walk from 2 others which were larger and livelier. Grounds, beach, pools, rooms etc were kept very clean. The staff was super friendly and helpful. I tried to tip the maid, but she would not take the money--against policy. Where do you find ssuch honest folks? Food was plentiful and good. Steak house and Italian were great. We liked the pub--drowning duck or something for its atmosphere and good burgers and mac and cheese. We are not gormets--in fact I believe if it says gormet it will be unfit for human consumption. We met the GM and he was as pleasnat as his staff. No snob act with that guy. Whoever trains the staff needs a raise and other resorts shoulld copy Sandals. Entertainment was very good--professional musicians and singers doing great. Sure beats a bunch of little folks jumping around trying to dance. Oh, yess they have a little dessert shop in the square--all kinds of coffee and tea as well as really good pasteries--a first for us in the Caribbean. I did get luck and caught a big marlin--book thru the guy on the beach--way cheaper than the hotel. My wife loved shopping there and got a good massage. I think we will go there again--perhaps for our 10th next year. We have been all over the Caribbean--this was the best.

Room Tip: avoid us air if possible
Bedfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had a good time at Sandals. Nice big comfortable clean room, with one or two drawbacks, eg bath/shower guaranteed to leave a big puddle on the bathroom floor. Great maxi-bar, with bottles galore, restocked daily. Some good restaurants, with average to good food, marred slightly by the birds perching on and pecking at the food in the buffet restaurants, or even sometimes stealing food off your plate while you're eating. Beautiful grounds with colourful shrubs and flowers. Good beach with plenty of sunbeds.

We hired a car to see the island sights.

Good diving, with professional staff, but not the best diving I've done.

The staff were, almost without exception, smiley and helpful.

Read our full review at http://www.dunbankin.com/antigua2013, together with lots of photos of our room, the resort, the island and the underwater sights.

Room Tip: The 'Caribbean' side is quieter, but also older. The 'Mediterranean' side is newer...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Tyler, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Just returned from a stay at Sandals Antigua. Overall had a good time but there are things you need to know.

Rooms: Had a nice room with private plunge pool. Dont expect much privacy from the 3 foot wall around your pool and the nearby sidewalk with lots of foot traffic. Didnt have any issues with our room but spoke with several couples who had lots of issues mostly with air conditioning.

Service: Average at best. We had "Butler Service" with our room which sounds nice on the website but is not very useful. Granted we didnt take full advantage of this service. However the few times we called and asked for certain items we were told "No we dont have that". Butler would check on us at the pool in the morning and say "I will check on you later" and NEVER be seen again the entire day. I certainly wouldnt pay any extra for this service. Other staff were friendly but not terribly helpful. For example the resort was only 70% occupied and the restaurants were half full at best at dinner. We had reservations one night at 8:45 and decided we wanted to eat early at 8:15. Showed up at the restaurant (which mind you was half full at best) and were told they couldnt get us in early and we had to wait until 8:45.

Dining: Have lots of restaurants but nothing special and despite the number of restaurants it was very difficult to find anything to eat during the middle of the day. Pizzeria was open but took 45 minutes to get pizza which wasnt bad. Breakfast and lunch buffets had pretty good options. As for dinner I would rate it average at best. The so called nice restaurant had few choices and food quality was on par with Chilis or TGI Fridays.

Beach: Very nice sand and crystal clear blue water. Probably the highlight of the resort. However all beaches are public in Antigua which means every few steps along the beach you are being hassled by a local trying to sell anything from hats to jewelry to jet ski rides. You couldnt lay on the beach for any length of time without being interrupted by these very persistent sales people. They werent allowed in the resort at least however they would line up along the fence and pester you as we tried to stroll along the sidewalk.

Snorkeling: This should be renamed Jelly Fish Avoidance. They were everywhere and out numbered the fish. Dude on the boat with us got stung "13 times" which is probably an exaggeration but certainly several people did. Would strongly recommend not doing this activity.

Summary: Average resort, service and food. For the money certainly not worth it. High point is the beach/water but its outweighed by the local sales force.

If your 20 something and want to drink lots of booze and have a limited food experience you will probably enjoy this resort. If you are 40 something and have higher food and service expectations you will probably be disappointed.

Consider the Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita in Cancun for an overall excellent all-inclusive resort experience.

Room Tip: I would pick the least expensive room. Reality is you dont spend much time in the room anyway.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Skokie, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Visited 7/13-7/20/13 for our 28th wedding anniversary: we highly recommend this resort. We tried to keep it succinct, but it’s hard to do when your expectations are exceeded in every way! (4.5 out of 5 stars)

STAFF & SERVICE: Many Antiguans we met have a polite, reserved manner that some Americans might misinterpret as unfriendly. We found that addressing folks by name (the staff all wear name tags) and genuinely complimenting special service or attention immediately provoked a warm smile and a friendly response. Restaurant service was leisurely (we overheard complaints), but we thought the pace was appropriate for a fine evening meal out (what’s the rush). We received great service from everyone: when the water went off in our room one day, a staff member was at our door in 5 minutes, determined the problem, and fixed it from outside our room in less than 20 minutes; the managers of the resort were seemingly everywhere everyday and always available to direct you, answer questions, and ask if you needed anything (the day of the Antiguan Cultural Fest, the manager personally visited everyone’s table and cleared people’s dishes and drinks, much in the manner I would at a dinner party in my home); servers and hostesses we met our first day in a restaurant would find us to say hello every time we returned. We didn’t get a chance to write everyone’s name down, but we do want to especially acknowledge and thank the people whose names we did record:
Cricketers: Mario our bartender and Claudine, our server – great service with a hug from Claudine
Soy: Chefs George and Mark – always served up something special, so we could try something new
Bayside for dinner: Server Kimberly, a very fine French meal
Barefoot Restaurant: Dahlia and chefs, you made and served great grilled lunches
Mario’s: Andrea our server at dinner, and the Manager (Bon giorno!), chefs at dinner and breakfast, nice work - thanks for a beautiful personalized anniversary dinner
Main pool bar: Althea, great banana daiquiris and prompt service

BUTLER SERVICE: We stayed in the 1 BR Penthouse Ocean View Room on the Med side (formerly named Grande Amalfi Sunset Luxury Penthouse One Bedroom, Room 7704), only because we wanted the big deck and separate bedroom. We had no idea how much we would use and love the butler service! N-Kosi, Wendell, and Geoffrey, thank you for making our vacation luxurious and fun all day every single day (including very special treatment on both check-in and check-out). If people are wondering whether the butler service is “worth it”, we assure you it is. Your butlers will quickly and efficiently accomplish whatever you ask for, they will remember what you prefer and consistently provide it before you can ever ask again, AND they will surprise you with something thoughtful that you never knew you “needed” practically every day and night. Plus we just liked chit-chatting with our butlers, 3 very different guys, all excellent at their jobs.

The day we spontaneously rented a car to explore the island on our own, we will always remember N-Kosi delivering the perfect picnic lunch in a heartbeat (with umbrella, beach towels, and cooler) and Wendell serendipitously being at the stop light, when we were completely lost, and pointing us in the right direction back to Sandals (his day off, what are the odds?!) And of course, Geoffrey was there when we got back, to get us to the right restaurant, on time, that the butler team had already reserved for us. Just another typical day of everything-you-could-possibly-dream-of from our butlers. We are spoiled.

ROOM: 5 Star Plus, with the storage and living space of an apartment (no exaggeration), most comfortable bed ever, plus amazing views from our balcony. Every morning we enjoyed coffee and pastries there, every night we had cocktails and h’doeurves and watched the sun set. Perfect.

RESORT: As my husband says: this resort is truth-in-advertising. Everything you read and see on the Sandals website about the resort and the room is accurate and accurately depicted. The room, the gardens, the beach, the main pool, the views, the sight-lines, the restaurants right on the beach – all beautifully designed and well-maintained. Little things matter: bright blue water glasses in Bayside duplicating the sea beyond, the Zen décor and small wooden plates at Soy, the “I-heart-you” on the cappuccino at the Café, the skylights in the showers at the Spa that brought the outdoors “in”- wow. The grounds are like a botanical garden, very well kept and spotless. Overall, the Resort greatly exceeded our expectations.

SANDALS, THE COMPANY: We have been to many other companys’ resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico. Sandals is unique in that it invests time and resources in courting repeat guests, and Sandals does it well. As returning guests, we enjoyed a special invitation-only cocktail party and dinner with Resort Management and met and chatted with the managers. Although the resort is physically large, we ran into the managers throughout the week. It may sound crazy, but the time each manager took on every occasion to stop and say hello and ask how our day was going, made us feel like guests in a small bed and breakfast. We really enjoyed their personal touch and their attention to detail.

BEACH: We’re beach people, and we were worried about the size of the beach – well, we loved it. Gorgeous crystal clear water, calm seas, perfect temperature (never could stay out of it for more than 10 minutes), soft white sand, comfy lounge chairs, and just the right length for a nice stroll, with picture-perfect limestone cliffs and green hills on opposite ends. Not over-crowded. Raked and cleaned at sunrise daily. Before 10:30 a.m., we typically felt like we had the whole beach and sea to ourselves. Lots of readily available water craft. Nice cabanas for shade.

True, the vendors are there all day every day, but hey, it’s their island, we’re just passing through . . . Say no thank you, don’t say “maybe later” if you don’t mean it, and you will not be asked twice by the same vendor on the same day. (If you’re shy about such things, you are not going to like this aspect of Dickenson Bay).

RESTAURANTS: They are not all excellent for all meals. Don’t get in a rut: if you didn’t love your lunch, try the same restaurant for dinner – or breakfast. Discover which ones at which meals work for your own personal palate, and you will have a very good dining experience. NOT TO BE MISSED: Bayside transforms into a simply wonderful and romantic French Brassierie for dinner (not a buffet), and it was possibly our favorite dinner of the week. (Or Mario’s - close call. Ask to share the saffron lobster/shrimp risotto for an appetizer, the chef will be happy to split it for you, it’s very, very good) At Bayside for dinner, we were seated directly by the sand, with the moonlight shimmering over the water, and practically had a private dining experience (only a dozen people in the whole restaurant). A stand-out meal, highly recommended, reminded us of bistro meals we’ve enjoyed in Paris, but with a better seaside location. Other stand-outs in our opinion: Barefoot for grilled lunches and wonderful salt-n-pepper calamari/grilled seafood at dinner, Soy for appetizers, Cricketers for late night fish-n-chips (crisp and delicious), Mario’s for breakfast (yes, that breakfast pizza is crazy good and you can also enjoy a Mimosa or Hummingbird, if you’re so inclined) and for its delicious antipasto offerings at dinner.

SNORKELING: Our captains and their mates were wonderful, and before the days that the wind changed and the sea got a little rough, we saw a big variety of fish through perfectly clear water, at two different snorkeling sites. The coral reefs have been storm-damaged and are disappointingly dull brown. But the fish are plentiful, diverse, and colorful. 3 trips per day, so no problem going daily if you like. Lots of jellyfish, but once our captain informed us they stay by the boat for the barnacles, we adapted.

NIGHTLIFE: Far superior to the (no offense) cast-member shows resorts usually offer. We really liked that a contest/dance lesson/show might be playing in one location, and a d.j. might be spinning at another, while a trio was performing in yet another. As we walked back from the Carib side restaurants at night to the Med side (if we didn’t detour to the beach again), we’d usually pass at least 2 choices of entertainment. Having options was nice. Don’t miss the Beach Party - the grilled fish and meat, the big group tables on the sand, the pumped-up emcee, a really fun evening.

SUGGESTION BOX: We like to play - and enjoyed a couple of pool contests – but we missed the sports and fitness stuff we usually do daily on vacation. It was available, but no staff members went around giving a shout-out in advance and the resort has NO clocks, so figuring out where and when to go . . . easily missed. We suggest: have staff members give a 15 minute shout-out at beach and main pool OR post TODAY’S SPORTS & GAMES prominently at all the breakfast places and TONIGHT’S ENTERTAINMENT at all lunch places. That way, guests can better plan their days to include more activities, if they wish.

The main pool bar staff (with the notable exception of Althea) and many of the breakfast and lunchtime servers (at the buffet restaurants only) have very poor people skills. The pool bar and buffet restaurant server staff provide extremely slow and grumpy service, in contrast to all other resort staff members. We received friendlier treatment from the housekeepers, groundskeepers, and beach security personnel than the pool bar staff in particular. [Note: the pool bar “crowd” was not rowdy or provocative the week we were there, with the exception of one very small group. I.e. no reason for the cold shoulder from the bar towards the rest of us.]

The airport transfer TO the resort was disorganized, unreasonably slow, and just plain bad. The Sandals representative outside the airport at the taxi stand did not greet or welcome the long line of guests, or provide any instructions about where to go, wait, etc. – just checked names off the list. She did not appear to have any idea or plan about how to get the guests to the Resort. The Sandals rep did not talk to the guests: she was instead quarreling loudly with the local cabbies, who seemed most unwilling to transport Sandals guests to the resort. Sandals is marketing “airport transfers included” and knows how many guests are arriving and what time of day they are expected; therefore, we expect Sandals to provide adequate numbers of pre-arranged transports, welcome guests, and provide clear instructions to the guests upon arrival.
Transfer BACK to the airport was, however, perfectly executed, with a friendly local van driver.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST: Get out and see Antigua, it is a breathtakingly beautiful island, and everyone we met on our road trip was (like the resort staff) politely reserved, and at the same time, perfectly friendly and helpful. We did it solo (renting a car right at the resort, convenient and reasonably-priced), but other guests raved about the Circumnavigation Tour and liked the local cabbies’ tours. If you can get to Half Moon Bay, you will experience a beach right out of your imagination . . . pristine, undeveloped (now designated a National Park), with good waves, and, if you venture out far enough along and around the north end’s wide rocky walkway, a view up the coastline. You will probably, as we did for the better part of an afternoon, have it all to yourselves.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with a butler room! The "Med Side" top floors have gorgeous ocean...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!