We stayed here for our wedding anniversary for 6 nights in the Mediterranean side. The staff did acknowledge our anniversary by sending us a happy anniversary cake and a card. That's it. Compared to our experience at other non-sandals resorts, that was disappointing. But anyway, the grounds are beautiful and well kept. We were originally booked in ground floor room but we had a terrible night trying to mask the sound of the annoying screeching sound of what sounded like crickets. We went to concierge the next morning and were moved to a 2nd floor room which kind of helped.
My room was pretty much swarmed with ants. They were everywhere. The a/c wasn't really working to full capacity.
The food was just "okay". Nothing memorable. We went to the same restaurant (Mario's) for buffet breakfast (very good) also, dinner is delicious there. They don't require reservations.
Bayside- The food was alright there, not that many choices. It's an open air buffet and the birds kept munching on the buffet food and there were also flies landing on the food.. Gross. The staff did they're best to guard the food away from birds.
Drunken Duck/Cricketers - the food was "okay". Nothing spectacular. It's open almost the whole day so if you want to grab something to eat in between lunch and dinner, it was open.
Cafe de Paris- loved it! Went there almost every afternoon for ice cream or dessert.
Eleanor's - very tasty food and service. That was my husbands favorite place during his whole stay. The fish was very fresh and the steak was very juicy. Kimmonos was good too.
The beach wasn't as bad as I expected since I read that the vendors harass you. A simple "no thank you" kept them moving along. It really isn't as bad as it seems. Bring your bug spray around 4-7pm if your heading to the beach because the Mosquitos and the sand fleas are really out to get ya!
Mediterranean pool. If you don't have butler service, you will need to wake up at the crack of dawn to get a chaise lounge with an umbrella.. Unless you want to bake in the sun all day. By 8am we saw almost every lounge chair with an umbrella reserved with no one there.... Even though there's a rule against reserving lounges. Fortunately, we won a poolside cabana for a day which was cool. They give you a menu for breakfast and lunch menu from barefoot to chose from.
Wrapping it up here.. The beds are NOT comfortable!! They are the most springiest of spring mattresses and any little move you make will wake your spouse up. I enjoyed my time here but my stay was just "okay". I would come back to Sandals but not this destination.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Antigua
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel
- Sandals Grande Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Amex, Tingo, Orbitz, Travelocity, Venere and Otel so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.