“Wonderful experience and great food and activities all included.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$305 Spa or Tour Credit!
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in St. John's
“Wonderful experience and great food and activities all included.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Sandals grand Antigua offers everything for a beautiful and fun enjoyable honeymoon. Location was new and exciting. Activities were plenty to choose from. Good food and drinks at the large variety of choices of restaurants and bars to choose from.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,049)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

For our honeymoon we spent a week at Sandals Antigua - it was great! The resort was in excellent condition with regular care and maintainence going on. The view on the beach was picture perfect. The vendors on the beach get annoying at times, but you can choose to ignore them. Activities all day and entertainment each night provided plenty to do. The food and drinks were amazing as well.

• Stayed June 2013
Turners Falls, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I just returned from my honeymoon to Antigua. What a wonderful 8 days we spent at Sandals! A few shout-outs to the staff, specifically Latisha at Bayside restaurant (best smile ever), Christine at Mario's (so friendly and personable!), Hursula in the piano bar (coldest bar in the place and she makes a GREAT chocolate martini), and Anika who took great care of us in our pool side cabana. Thank-you all for a wonderful week.

When we arrived at Sandals (minus my bag which was lost somewhere in transit) our room wasn't ready. They upgraded us to a nicer area and room because of this and we were very happy with where we ended up. Sandals was also accommodating with walking me through what to do about my missing bag, and they called me immediately when it showed up the next day and delivered it to the room. They also offered a 25% discount at the shops for any clothing that I might need to purchase. I didn't need much as I always pack a day's worth in my carry on as well as a swim suit.

We were able to get umbrella spots at the pool every day, our room was clean and comfortable, and we wanted to move in to the bathroom and live there. We enjoyed a massage at the Red Lane spa and that was great, and I had a pedicure as well which I was happy with. The gym was adequate for working out and offered a variety of cardio equipment as well as weight machines and free weights. It was extremely hot in there...seriously, Africa hot, and the AC did not really do a thing to make it cooler. That was rough for someone from Massachusetts who isn't used to working out in a gym that is 80+ degrees and humid.

I suffer from gluten intolerance and I found the staff to be extremely well trained in helping me make meal selections. Chefs were also able to modify pretty much any meal and make it gluten safe. This was even the case at Kimonos. They even had gluten free pizzas available at the outdoor pizza restaurant. Most evenings a chef came to our table to go over the menu with me before I ordered. I ate most of my breakfasts at Bayside where I was walked through the food areas and told what selections were safe. I have one small caveat here and it is that the breakfast meats like sausage and bacon ARE NOT GLUTEN SAFE. The meats themselves are, however if you are medically gluten sensitive or have celiac steer clear. They line the bottoms of the pans holding these meats with bread to absorb the grease. Watch out!

We spent most of our time at the Mediterranean Pool rather than the beach. All beaches in Antigua are public and we found it not very relaxing to be approached by overly agressive people selling things on the beach literally the moment you set foot on the sand.

On our last day we treated ourselves to a pool side cabana and were very happy with the experience. Anika took great care of us, and we had breakfast, lunch, and cocktails poolside all day. The ceiling fan was nice, and during the tiny 1 minute rain showers we were dry and shielded from the sun when it was out. It was a great treat for our last day and I would absolutely recommend it.

Overall our experience was top notch. The room was great, the food was very good, the grounds were beautiful, and the staff was friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: Our room was in the Flamboyant building where it was nice and quiet, and off of the main walking pat...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The vacation at Sandals started with employees greeting you at the door with hot towels and cold beverages while the front desk staff checked you in and took your bags to your room. From there, it's nothing but relaxing. The resort is immaculate. The swim up bars in the pools were awesome. There are a number of restaurants at the resort that give you a wide variety of food options. There are also a number of activities, like snorkeling and sailing, included in the price of your stay. Although Sandals is a bit expensive, it was worth it. If you are looking for a place to go where you don't have to worry about a thing then this is a resort you should consider.

• Stayed August 2012
Cornwall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

There are so many things I could write, i'll stick to what we enjoyed most. We recently celebrated our Honeymoon here and it is a wonderful place with exceptional views, nature, ocean, sun, heat and food. The best places to dine are Mario's and Eleanor's, wonderful simple, fine food, although petite, it is inclusive so if still hungry go to your next diner, haha. Crab cakes in Eleanor's and Lava cake in Mario's to die for, beautiful presentation throughout the entire resort with food. We were baffled by the British restaurant Cricketers, hot slates for food presentation is awful and not big enough especially for a pub set up and the Scottish Manager seemed to do everything while his lazy staff did nothing and so miserable, not impressed here at all and that Manager needs to step back and manage or leave and do something he'll enjoy more, food was okay, but really not best place on resort. Bayside was good but due to birds, ants and other creatures in open restaurant it was very unhygienic and breakfast is best eaten at Mario's. The tour on the canopy and kayaks is brilliant, the guide was great showing us much of St Johns and local history and culture the Wadalfi catamaran is worth a hit or any other one, for scuba diving, snorkelling and many beach activities, well worth a go and very organised, loved the turndown room service by Concierge and wonderful breakfast in bed, room was always well stocked, cleaned and tidy and they even spray between 6 and 7pm for mosquitoes. Beach is beautiful, entertainment was great and they draw in some great and talented acts, 4th July events were brilliant. Kimonos restaurant is brilliant, chef cooks in front of you and great entertainment, you have to try it, trust us. Enjoy the main pool and bar it is luxury and also make sure you get plenty of photos taken by Photoshop staff and your photo shoot, brilliant, visit the shop to see how you can present them. Stand out staff were Caesem (Photoshop), T, Bear (Kimonos), Veneto (Mario's), Ricky (Painter)-- very talented. (hope there names are correct), they were welcoming great and always made an effort to talk, smile and recognise you, well done to them all. Unfortunately few negatives, Champagne tea is waste of time and absolutely no comparison to White glove service of London as it describes, personally it may advertise well but we found it waste of time, no welcome, no atmosphere, staff very poor and nervous and practically no servings. Rest of resort shows staff are clearly there simply as it's a job and money, for the type of resort it is they are rude, careless and have absolutely no time or bother for you what so ever, mostly not to be sexist but the females were absolutely awful, not one single smile, but males were just as bad in many areas, if they were in the UK there would be no hope with that attitude, we were shocked by it, but i'm assuming it won't change so you have to look at the positives and look at the inclusive luxuries, ignore the ignorance of staff, as a point you'll come across one or two okay ones around the pool, but as I say most just don't want to be there, very sad really, i'd work there and I've been in the industry for 15 years here in the UK so I know what to expect and service is what many places pride themselves on, just one last thing, get on a tour or two but don't waste too much time out of Sandals, you have all you need and want and you are in paradise, also avoid the beach vendors trying to sell stuff, they are annoying and I don't believe it is legit, but is is a public beach so be warned.

Room Tip: Honeymoon Concierge Suites are beautiful, great service from Concierge too.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington Heights, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Sandals Antigua for our first wedding anniversary in May of 2012. We've been to Antigua on a cruise before, and our main motivation for choosing it was that it's a beautiful island, and also has direct flights from JFK. Having said that, we probably would not choose to come back to this property again. It was generally nice, but it doesn't have that feeling of exclusivity you get at other resorts. Because everyone is there as a couple, and everyone is on the same all-inclusive plan, it just doesn't have that 'special' feeling. I sort of felt like we were going to the TGIFriday's of the Caribbean, in that it seems such a standard, American thing to do, to go to a Sandals! (For perspective, the other two hotels we were considering on the island were Cocobay and Cocos, but chose Sandals, in order to stay within our budget.) Our room was nice enough, and the staff was especially lovely, I just don't think it was a good fit for us for a 1st anniversary trip. Too formulaic, and lacking that special touch you find at other luxury resorts.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake Grove, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I just spent a week at Sandals in Antigua. My husband and I had a great time. The weather was beautiful.Warm but not humid and those amazing Trade Winds! The hotel is well maintained and most of the staff was friendly and helpful. There were some minor problems. Elenore's ran out of lobster and Barefoot ran out of crayfish, but overall the food was good.We stayed a the Mediterranean Village (the newer section) and it was beautiful. The vendors on the beach were really annoying. They didn't take no for an answer. They came back again and again. It's a public beach and Sandals has no control over them. I understand they are trying to make a living but take NO for an answer. Even so we will return.

Room Tip: Ask for the Mediterranean Village and if you want an ocean view go above the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!