“Loved It!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in St. John's
Turners Falls, Massachusetts
“Loved It!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I just returned from my honeymoon to Antigua. What a wonderful 8 days we spent at Sandals! A few shout-outs to the staff, specifically Latisha at Bayside restaurant (best smile ever), Christine at Mario's (so friendly and personable!), Hursula in the piano bar (coldest bar in the place and she makes a GREAT chocolate martini), and Anika who took great care of us in our pool side cabana. Thank-you all for a wonderful week.

When we arrived at Sandals (minus my bag which was lost somewhere in transit) our room wasn't ready. They upgraded us to a nicer area and room because of this and we were very happy with where we ended up. Sandals was also accommodating with walking me through what to do about my missing bag, and they called me immediately when it showed up the next day and delivered it to the room. They also offered a 25% discount at the shops for any clothing that I might need to purchase. I didn't need much as I always pack a day's worth in my carry on as well as a swim suit.

We were able to get umbrella spots at the pool every day, our room was clean and comfortable, and we wanted to move in to the bathroom and live there. We enjoyed a massage at the Red Lane spa and that was great, and I had a pedicure as well which I was happy with. The gym was adequate for working out and offered a variety of cardio equipment as well as weight machines and free weights. It was extremely hot in there...seriously, Africa hot, and the AC did not really do a thing to make it cooler. That was rough for someone from Massachusetts who isn't used to working out in a gym that is 80+ degrees and humid.

I suffer from gluten intolerance and I found the staff to be extremely well trained in helping me make meal selections. Chefs were also able to modify pretty much any meal and make it gluten safe. This was even the case at Kimonos. They even had gluten free pizzas available at the outdoor pizza restaurant. Most evenings a chef came to our table to go over the menu with me before I ordered. I ate most of my breakfasts at Bayside where I was walked through the food areas and told what selections were safe. I have one small caveat here and it is that the breakfast meats like sausage and bacon ARE NOT GLUTEN SAFE. The meats themselves are, however if you are medically gluten sensitive or have celiac steer clear. They line the bottoms of the pans holding these meats with bread to absorb the grease. Watch out!

We spent most of our time at the Mediterranean Pool rather than the beach. All beaches in Antigua are public and we found it not very relaxing to be approached by overly agressive people selling things on the beach literally the moment you set foot on the sand.

On our last day we treated ourselves to a pool side cabana and were very happy with the experience. Anika took great care of us, and we had breakfast, lunch, and cocktails poolside all day. The ceiling fan was nice, and during the tiny 1 minute rain showers we were dry and shielded from the sun when it was out. It was a great treat for our last day and I would absolutely recommend it.

Overall our experience was top notch. The room was great, the food was very good, the grounds were beautiful, and the staff was friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: Our room was in the Flamboyant building where it was nice and quiet, and off of the main walking pat...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,050)
Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The vacation at Sandals started with employees greeting you at the door with hot towels and cold beverages while the front desk staff checked you in and took your bags to your room. From there, it's nothing but relaxing. The resort is immaculate. The swim up bars in the pools were awesome. There are a number of restaurants at the resort that give you a wide variety of food options. There are also a number of activities, like snorkeling and sailing, included in the price of your stay. Although Sandals is a bit expensive, it was worth it. If you are looking for a place to go where you don't have to worry about a thing then this is a resort you should consider.

• Stayed August 2012
Cornwall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

There are so many things I could write, i'll stick to what we enjoyed most. We recently celebrated our Honeymoon here and it is a wonderful place with exceptional views, nature, ocean, sun, heat and food. The best places to dine are Mario's and Eleanor's, wonderful simple, fine food, although petite, it is inclusive so if still hungry go to your next diner, haha. Crab cakes in Eleanor's and Lava cake in Mario's to die for, beautiful presentation throughout the entire resort with food. We were baffled by the British restaurant Cricketers, hot slates for food presentation is awful and not big enough especially for a pub set up and the Scottish Manager seemed to do everything while his lazy staff did nothing and so miserable, not impressed here at all and that Manager needs to step back and manage or leave and do something he'll enjoy more, food was okay, but really not best place on resort. Bayside was good but due to birds, ants and other creatures in open restaurant it was very unhygienic and breakfast is best eaten at Mario's. The tour on the canopy and kayaks is brilliant, the guide was great showing us much of St Johns and local history and culture the Wadalfi catamaran is worth a hit or any other one, for scuba diving, snorkelling and many beach activities, well worth a go and very organised, loved the turndown room service by Concierge and wonderful breakfast in bed, room was always well stocked, cleaned and tidy and they even spray between 6 and 7pm for mosquitoes. Beach is beautiful, entertainment was great and they draw in some great and talented acts, 4th July events were brilliant. Kimonos restaurant is brilliant, chef cooks in front of you and great entertainment, you have to try it, trust us. Enjoy the main pool and bar it is luxury and also make sure you get plenty of photos taken by Photoshop staff and your photo shoot, brilliant, visit the shop to see how you can present them. Stand out staff were Caesem (Photoshop), T, Bear (Kimonos), Veneto (Mario's), Ricky (Painter)-- very talented. (hope there names are correct), they were welcoming great and always made an effort to talk, smile and recognise you, well done to them all. Unfortunately few negatives, Champagne tea is waste of time and absolutely no comparison to White glove service of London as it describes, personally it may advertise well but we found it waste of time, no welcome, no atmosphere, staff very poor and nervous and practically no servings. Rest of resort shows staff are clearly there simply as it's a job and money, for the type of resort it is they are rude, careless and have absolutely no time or bother for you what so ever, mostly not to be sexist but the females were absolutely awful, not one single smile, but males were just as bad in many areas, if they were in the UK there would be no hope with that attitude, we were shocked by it, but i'm assuming it won't change so you have to look at the positives and look at the inclusive luxuries, ignore the ignorance of staff, as a point you'll come across one or two okay ones around the pool, but as I say most just don't want to be there, very sad really, i'd work there and I've been in the industry for 15 years here in the UK so I know what to expect and service is what many places pride themselves on, just one last thing, get on a tour or two but don't waste too much time out of Sandals, you have all you need and want and you are in paradise, also avoid the beach vendors trying to sell stuff, they are annoying and I don't believe it is legit, but is is a public beach so be warned.

Room Tip: Honeymoon Concierge Suites are beautiful, great service from Concierge too.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington Heights, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Sandals Antigua for our first wedding anniversary in May of 2012. We've been to Antigua on a cruise before, and our main motivation for choosing it was that it's a beautiful island, and also has direct flights from JFK. Having said that, we probably would not choose to come back to this property again. It was generally nice, but it doesn't have that feeling of exclusivity you get at other resorts. Because everyone is there as a couple, and everyone is on the same all-inclusive plan, it just doesn't have that 'special' feeling. I sort of felt like we were going to the TGIFriday's of the Caribbean, in that it seems such a standard, American thing to do, to go to a Sandals! (For perspective, the other two hotels we were considering on the island were Cocobay and Cocos, but chose Sandals, in order to stay within our budget.) Our room was nice enough, and the staff was especially lovely, I just don't think it was a good fit for us for a 1st anniversary trip. Too formulaic, and lacking that special touch you find at other luxury resorts.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake Grove, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I just spent a week at Sandals in Antigua. My husband and I had a great time. The weather was beautiful.Warm but not humid and those amazing Trade Winds! The hotel is well maintained and most of the staff was friendly and helpful. There were some minor problems. Elenore's ran out of lobster and Barefoot ran out of crayfish, but overall the food was good.We stayed a the Mediterranean Village (the newer section) and it was beautiful. The vendors on the beach were really annoying. They didn't take no for an answer. They came back again and again. It's a public beach and Sandals has no control over them. I understand they are trying to make a living but take NO for an answer. Even so we will return.

Room Tip: Ask for the Mediterranean Village and if you want an ocean view go above the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Just returned from a stay in Antigua June 22nd through the 29th. Let me start by giving a shout-out to the Director of Guest Services, Mr. Donovan Dobson!! I had contacted the result about 3 days before my arrival to see if there would be any way to get distilled water -- see, I use a CPAP breathing machine at night and the machine needs distilled water for the humidifier. Mr. Dobson personally wrote back that same day and stated he would make sure there would be distilled water in my room upon arrival. Well, when my husband and I arrived on the 22nd -- VOILA -- there was "Crystal Distilled Water" in our room (the funny thing is, my name is Crystal) with a lovely note and some fresh fruit. As we were settling in -- we had a knock on the door and Mr. Dobson personally came to visit to welcome us and meet us in person. Talk about Customer Service!

Speaking of Customer Service -- Rasheen was one who walked us to our room and told us about the resort. He also was helping up set up the WIFI we purchased for the week. He had to go back to the lobby to finish up and said he'd be back shortly. Since we wanted to get a start on the beach before it got dark (we arrived around 2 in the afternoon), we went down to the beach to enjoy. Low and behold, Rasheen FOUND US on the beach to finish up the WIFI set up. I was really impressed by this...

Every staff member we encountered treated us like Royalty. I'm serious -- from Miss Althea, Despina, and Puck at the main swim up bar, to Orleesa Stephenson at OK Corral, Maura, Marion, Sherelle, Adonica at Bayside, Solange at the Gift Shop, the lovely Ms. Sylvia at the Cafe de Paris, and the Photoshop guys (Omega and Dwylon just to name a few -- if I miss anyone, my apologies). I have no clue why prior review say that the staff is unfriendly; my husband and I never encountered that. What we did encounter was helpful, cheerful folks who were hard workers and kind. I at times felt the guest were rude to the staff.

Before arriving, I had booked a Honeymoon Orchid Poolside Walk Out room and we found out that we were graciously upgraded to Honeymoon Luxury Walkout Poolside Concierge room in the Anthurium Building right behind the Caribbean Swim Up Pool. The room was spacious, very nice and very clean. While the Mediterranean side high-rise is nice; we really loved the lush, tranquil and gorgeous Caribbean side. It felt very intimate and it really was beautiful.

Now, there is one thing that I agree with in regards to the only 'negative' that I experienced: the beach vendors. I can totally see why a lot of reviewers were sometimes bothered by this. During our first and 2nd day, we did have an influx of vendors asking us to buy -- however, our strategy was to be nice and honest upfront that we weren't going on any excursions during our stay for the week, which was the truth. We made friends with the vendors (Eddie, Isaac w/Wadadli Cats) and they pretty much left us alone for the rest of the week. I did buy a few lovely necklaces from some of the ladies and one even gave me an Antiguan bracelet because she said she saw that I was kind to the vendors and frequently purchased items. So -- again, I can see where guests would be put off by possibly being bothered when you are just trying to take in the beach and rest.

We really liked the restaurants: We ate at Eleanors twice and had dinner at Bayside on our first night and ate there twice for their lunch buffet, which was good. My husband raved about the lamb kebobs they had for lunch. We usually ate at Marios for breakfast for the remainder of our stay as our room was closer to that side. We enjoyed our dinner there too. Liked Kimonos and our chef "Mr. Sugar". I actually really liked Ok Corral. My chicken fajitas were really good and they had good pulled pork tacos. Barefoot by the Sea had really good burgers at lunch, unfortunately we didn't get to have dinner there, but another guest told me the fish was really good. Bella Napoli pizza was tasty for a quick snack or lunch by the pool. The ONLY disappointing meal for us was Soy Sushi. We felt the sushi was disgusting. The rice was mushy and wet and the fish very 'fishy' tasting. We love Sushi and we eat it frequently, so we really were shocked that the food there was just not to our liking, when the patrons there were raving about it.

While we didn't do any excursions, we did do a couples massage, which was heavenly. I want to say hello to Ms. Resa at the Red Lane Spa!!! I miss you and thank you for being so wonderful!! :)

Loved the Mediterranean pool and the swim-up bar. Thank you to all the ladies that gave us pool-side service and beach service with a smile while getting our drinks. The nightly entertainment was good -- and the pool contests were fun (I came in 2nd for the song contest and theme song contest). Loved going to Cafe de Paris to get a little snack in the evening. Ms. Sylvia made the best crepes!

The resort, in our eyes, was really well-maintained and cleaned. Staff were out early and daily, cleaning pools, cutting shrubbery, making deliveries, etc. Our room was cleaned TWICE a day and very well I may add. All in all, we had a wonderful time. The resort was beautiful and I can't thank the staff enough for making our trip a wonderful one. If you are kind to others, that kindness comes back two-fold! I would most certainly visit Antigua again or try another Sandals property!

Room Tip: Loved Room 808 -- right in between the Caribbean and Mediterranean side and close to everything.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stayed May 18 - May 25

THE TOP SECRET PLAN

The original vacation plan was for a week vacation in Los Cabos Mexico for some relaxation. Nothing too special. Right? That’s when I had an idea to change the venue and plan an engagement dinner on an exotic Caribbean island. What this possible?

I discussed my top secret plan with Lesley Keyter, the Travel Lady Agency in Calgary, and she thought it was brilliant and recommended Sandals Grande Antigua!

The plan was set in motion and everything was booked including a private dinner on the beach on Sunday night. No one else knew about the plan except for Sandals, The Travel Lady and Calgary Jewelry.

Vered Reynolds, The Travel Lady Agency Consultant, finalized all the details and worked closely with the staff at Sandals Grande Antigua to make this happen. She did an amazing job!!!
The first surprise came at the Calgary airport when Jodi, my girlfriend, was expecting to board a plane to Los Cabos and found out from the WestJet agent that “you’re going to Antigua”. Jodi was shocked and in tears... What a surprise!

It was a long flight to Antigua having to go through Toronto but walking off the plan in Antigua was breath taking! Lineup at customs is only 10-15 minutes long. Watch out for "fake Sandals taxi drivers". Simply go and pick-up your luggage and walk across the street to the Sandals Desk.

ARRIVAL

Short drive to Sandals Resort (15 minutes) and you’re surrounded by lush vegetation and beautiful beaches. I originally booked the Honeymoon Concierge Room on the Caribbean Grove side and was pleasantly surprised that we were upgraded to the Mediterranean side - room 5008. Thank-you!!

We’re greeted with cold towel, champagne & appetizers! Beautiful!
Diahann, concierge manager, welcomed us with a big smile and made our dinner reservations for the week. She was in on the secret engagement dinner.
We also booked a couple’s massage for Wednesday morning.

ROOM

Very beautiful room with 4 poster bed and large jetted tub! Walkout on to the grounds overlooking the Mediterranean pool. Stunning!

We both quickly unpacked and ran to the beach to catch the late afternoon sun and gorgeous beach. Jodi and I thought we were in a dream!
We received a call from Donovan, Guest Services Manager, to welcome us and to contact him if we had any questions. Thanks for the upgrade! Great service!

ENGAGEMENT DINNER

I was able to sneak out after we checked into our room to finalize dinner plans with Jerona, sales office. This was exciting. You get to personalize your menu. I selected seafood dinner. Everything was set!

Sunday. I mentioned to Jodi that we were going for French Cuisine at the Bayside restaurant and dress up. Hint hint! When we arrived, they escorted us to the table on the beach! Felt like an episode of the Bachelor. Yannick was our server and she was amazing! Jodi didn't know what was going to happen next! Then, after our salad, I decided to pop the question! It was a magical moment in paradise and she said YES! Tears of joy! Months of planning were over! Sandals was the perfect spot and a lifetime memory was created.

NOW... THE REST OF THE STAY

GROUNDS

Absolutely Stunning! Very lush and exotic! Staff took great care in making sure the grounds were in great shape! The attention to detail was something! Great European Architecture on the Mediterranean side. Totally enjoyed the fire pits by the beach catching the evening sunset and stars.

BEACH

Something you would see out of a magazine or a movie! Soft white sand and warm water. There is some erosion of the beach around the Sandals resort but nothing to be concerned about. We explored the entire beach to the north past the restaurant on the water lies calm and warm waters. No beach vendors and the ultimate in romance! Head south from Sandals and you’ll find a deserted beach all for yourself! If you have a few extra million $$ the house on the peninsula is for sale. Love is in the air everywhere!

EXCURSIONS

Lots of choices and we stayed away from the beach vendors selling excursions. We went with Island Adventures and selected the helicopter ride over Montserrat Volcano. The captain was really friendly and provided a history of the volcano and answered our questions. The 2 hour flight flew over part of Antigua and then headed to the island of Montserrat. To see the destruction of the volcano and how it destroyed the town of Plymouth (5,000 people) was a once in lifetime memory. It was a bit pricy but worth it.
If we had time and some more money, we would have also taken the sailing excursion to Barbuda. The island has endless pink beaches ... Next time!

FOOD

Food was excellent!
Breakfast

Bayside has incredible views of the beach while Mario’s was inside. Same food but your choice of venue. Yes, there’re birds flying around at the Bayside.
Lunch

Barefoot was a great spot on the sand. The jerk chicken and swordfish salad were favorites.
Bella Napoli Pizzeria served up delicious thin crust pizza. If you feel that afternoon growl in your stomach, then this is really good pizza.
Cafe de Paris. Jodi enjoyed morning coffee and I had banana bread! Everything was fresh and tasty! Very friendly staff!

Dinners
Eleanors - We both had the huge lobster dinner which was grilled to perfection. Enjoyed the coconut soup! Great views of the ocean.
Soy Sushi Bar – We both found it very cozy! Loved the tuna rolls. Everything made fresh in front of you.
Kimonos – Japanese was a fun adventure meeting other couples.
Marios – We both had lasagna & egg plant for dinner. Food was excellent. The antipasti bar had a good selection of meats, cheeses, salads etc. The chocolate lava cake is a must!!
As a returning guest, we were invited to Sandals select dinner. Great steak dinner and had the opportunity to meet other Sandals guests. The ballroom was full of returning guests. A couple received a free vacation for 70 paid nights. Thank-you Sandals! First Class all the way!

SERVICE

Absolutely no lineups at the restaurants and everyone was super friendly! No complaints! Drinks were easy to come by at the bars and food was served quickly.

SPA

Jodi mentioned that Red Lane carries one of her favorite skin care product lines Dermalogica.
They strive to pamper you in a very Zen environment.
Couple massage was worthwhile and very enjoyable.

WATER SPORTS & ACTIVITIES

Tried the sea kayak and explored the bay from one end to the other. We didn’t have time to try the sail boats due to windy conditions but Jodi tried the paddle board. Great experience!

EXTRA'S...

The fog man comes out around every night around 6pm to fog the place for bugs. There’re no bugs! We spent time out in the evening and didn’t see or feel any! No bug spray required.

Beach vendors will ask you to buy shirts, shells, etc. But they are friendly. Mexico is way worse. Check out the Shell Daddy! We bought a hammer head shell. Politely say no to the vendors and they move along.
No issues getting lounge chairs poolside or beach. We both got up early (6:30am) and had no problem finding chairs. This was the most stressful activity of the day. Love vacations!

Check our Ricky, Canvas Painter found in the Caribbean court yard! He made a personalized painting for us and it was stunning! What a great memory!

Sandals Photography – cost for a week of pictures was about $300 USD which was affordable and something you should budget for. The Sandals photographer took frequent pictures capturing sunsets and other romantic moments at various times throughout your stay. We purchased the pictures package and already have them hanging on our walls.

THE PEOPLE

Everyone was friendly and shared in our engagement and made it so special!!!!
Special thanks to the following people who went the extra mile:

Sandals Staff:

Melanie, Come Back Soon Desk, was superb and knowledgeable about Sandals LaSource Grenada. We booked 2 weeks in May 2014!

Cecilia, Come Back Soon Desk, provided great service and discussed staying at other Sandals resorts for wedding options.

Ken, Eleanors wine somalier, was very friendly and talked about coming to Canada in the fall to check our wineries.

Donovan, Manager of Guest Services, phoned our room and made sure everything was great and met him in person. He’s fantastic!

Diahann, Manager of Concierge Services, was so helpful in getting our room and booking our restaurants and made our staff enjoyable! Guaranteed to be greeted with a beautiful smile! Thank-you.

Rocco, Hotel Manager, made a point of talking with us and asking about our stay and discussed Sandals LaSource Grenada. Excellent customer service!

Gavin, Island Adventures, selected the helicopter ride for us! Great pick! Thanks!

Yannick, Private Dinner Waitress, superb service and made the evening perfect!

Jerona, Sales Office, was great! She helped with the planning of the private dinner and always so friendly.

The Travel Lady Agency – Lesley and her entire staff made the surprise engagement possible. The best travel agents in Calgary!!!!

SANDALS GRANDE ANTIGUA - THE BEST!!!

Guaranteed to be back for an anniversary vacation! Sandals is the ultimate in romance and you’re guaranteed to have a lifetime memory! We would recommend staying at least 10 days or longer to really enjoy paradise! 7 days goes way too fast. 
Very sad to leave and we think about Sandals Antigua every day!

HONEYMOON BOOKED FOR SANDALS LaSOURCE GRENADA

We decided to book Sandals LaSource for our honeymoon in May 2014!

Thank-you so much Sandals Grande Antigua for a vacation of a lifetime!

See you in Grenada!!!!

Jodi & Dean

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!