My husband and I just returned from our first visit to a Sandals property in Antigua on February 19 Tuesday night. We both really wanted to love it because of good things we read and heard. I gave it a rating of 3 circles because of a few things. Let me start with the good things:
The welcome from staff - pulled up and was greeted by 2 staff members with bright smiles. One gave us a cool towel to cool off with, the other walked us in and handed us a champagne- like drink that was delicious. We were asked to sit and relax while the staffer retrieved our information. While waiting (only a few short minutes) we were given a tasting of appetizers!
The views- from hotel and our room-spectacular views of the ocean!
Pool - was a lot fun
Diving - my husband enjoyed his 5 diving trips
Short ride to/from airport
Best meal at Kimonos restaurant
Grounds - are beautiful
Variety of drinks - drink of the day was fun
Things I didn't like-
A/C and fan didn't work properly on the first night-both needed to be completely replaced and we were never offered a new room or upgrade. We slept in a very warm room on first night. All was replaced the next day and found out later, that the worker who did not notice broken A/C was taken to task for that.
Lighting in bathroom not good.
Beach is public! Vendors up and down beach, most were very polite. A group that was renting jet skis on our end had arguments with other vendors every day and used foul language. Plus on two days we could smell marijuana coming from there group! It made me uncomfortable.
Food was decent-small portions- our best meal was in Kimonos-great chef-Eric!!
Most staffers were pleasant and the grounds of hotel were pretty. Don't know if we will re-visit. We want to try other Sandals and compare.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Antigua
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel
- Sandals Grande Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Amex, Tingo, Orbitz, Travelocity, Venere and Otel so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.