We spent a week at the resort at the end of January. The experience can be summed up as excellent! Antigua is absolutely beautiful and the weather was perfect. We had a few 5 minute rain showers over the course of the week but that didn't hamper anything. In fact it was refreshing.
Upon arriving at the airport in Antigua, the Sandals desk was easily found across the lane in front of the terminal. After checking in with the staff, we were quickly shown to a van along with several other couples for transfer to the resort. The drive from the airport to the result was about 20 minutes.
Once we arrived at the resort, the Sandals staff did a great job of getting us checked in and briefed, all while enjoying a glass of welcome champagne. The property is beautiful, clean, well laid out, and really does have all you could ask for. Our room in the Caribbean Grove was clean, comfortable, and steps to the beach. We opted to purchase wifi for the week at a cost of $6 per day. Although it would be nice to have it included, we felt the price was reasonable and the system worked fairly well. If you need a strong signal, just find one of the numerous small post mounted wood enclosures scattered throughout the grounds - they house the wifi antennas.
The restaurants and bars were all very good. We highly recommend the Japanese restaurant Kimonos. Book your reservation for this one as soon as you arrive. You will be seated with 3 other couples for a fantastic meal prepared table side and get the chance to meet people you otherwise would not have. We met two great couples that we ended up spending the remainder of the week with. If you like sushi, you MUST try Soy Sushi Bar next to Kimonos. It was excellent and doesn't require reservations. Also, don't miss the beach party dinner. Another great time and opportunity to meet others. The bartenders don't skimp out on the alcohol at this resort. Try the Banana Sip Sop. You'll be hooked! A couple of great places to grab traditional snack food is the Courtyard Bistro (unmarked and inconspicuous next to Bayside Restaurant) and the Bella Napoli Pizzeria where you can grab a quick thin crust pizza to go.
There are lots of activities to enjoy at the resort. We took the Hobie Cat sailboats out several times and really enjoyed the fun. Another day, we walked down the beach to Tony's Watersports and rented 4 jet skis for some fun on the water. What a blast! Don't be afraid to barter on the price. We booked a trip at the activity desk for a morning shopping excursion into St. Johns. It was ok but there was nothing spectacular to see once there. Its a typical cruise ship port market experience. I was disappointed by the absence of local food choices, which was something I was looking forward to.
Back at the resort, keep an eye open for Calypso Joe singing and playing his guitar in the main lobby. He was great and very entertaining. The entertainment in general was fantastic. Check the entertainment board in the courtyard for the daily shows.
If you are thinking of visiting the Sandals Antigua Grande, don't think twice. It is an excellent resort which I'm sure you'll be totally satisfied. We would go back in a heartbeat and definitely plan to visit again.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Antigua
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel
- Sandals Grande Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Tingo, Venere, Expedia and HotelsClick so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.