My husband and I stayed at the Grand Antigua for our honeymoon in May 2012. We had such a great time. We are not crazy adventurous people and wanted a nice place to relax and recoup from our wedding. Hopefully this review helps you make a great choice!
Hotel: The grounds of this hotel are beautiful!! The resort is surprisingly large, though easy to figure out where everything is. The ride to the hotel from the airport is about 15-20 minutes, but it does take a good amount of time once you're out of the airport to get situated in the van before you leave. We were greeted with champagne at check in! The beach is pretty. The main pool is large and hard to get a chair at. There is music and activities throughout the day that give the pool a lot of energy. There is another pool a bit smaller that also has a swim up bar and a few actitives, but is a little more low key. Then some of the buildings have a pool and that is really quiet and relaxing.
Room: We stayed in the Sunset Bluff Honeymoon Concierge Room. The room was very spacious, although the bathroom was not super large. The shower was average size. Our balcony overlooked one of the private pools. We were on the second floor and LOVED our view. It was quiet and serene, but also neat to have a pool there. It was far enough away from all the music and activities of the main pool.
Concierge is helpful only if you are getting the room for the in room stocked bar, which is why we decided on this room. The alcohol is not what you will find in the states, beer is not good, but the rum is made on the island and is DELICIOUS. I drank mostly rum and cokes while I was there. They say the stock the bar daily, but you do have to call them and it sometimes takes them some time to get to your room. We didn't have any trouble with the amount of liquor, but the sodas and bottled waters went quick. They did book our restaurant reservations for us and we had no problem getting a good time for seating. No idea if it is easy or difficult without using them because they did it for us. They also brought bags to our room which was nice.
Food: We ate at every restaurant at the hotel. I won't bore you with a run down of every one, but would suggest to not waste your time at the the OK Coral. It was a mediocore version of Tex Mex. The sushi bar was great, but is actually located at Kimonos and it is a sit down enviornment outside. Elenor's was by far our favorite, we actually ate there twice. The swordfish on the island is incredible. Bella's pizza is great too for a nice bit to eat for lunch, but pre call your food or you could wait almost 45 mins for a pizza. The people that worked there were also not very nice. The buffets for breakfast and lunch were exactly what you would suspect from any buffet. Nothing bad, but nothing superior, it's a buffet.
Tours: We chose to do the Antigua Tour which took us through all the villages on the island. It was so wonderful! We got a chance to see the island and get off the resort. I would def recommend and it was not that pricey either. We also did the Xtreme Circumnavigation tour. This is for those who enjoy adventure and being on the go. It was a bit much for us and the weather was not that great. It takes you in a speedboat all the way around the island, through Carribbean and Atlantic waters. I honestly would not really recommend and it was pretty expensive. You do get to do some great snorkling and swim with stringrays.
All in all we really enjoyed our stay. We don't have anything horrible to say about the place. You should def bring bug spray though, as on any island, the sand fleas are pretty bad. We really enjoy Sandal's resorts and even booked another trip to one in the Bahamas for our anniversary. Sandals is by far the best deal, although it seems more expensive, it truly is all inclusive and you don't have to worry about safety, food issues, water issues etc. Def worth it!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Amex, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Tingo, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Priceline, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish