“Wonderful Time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts

You added Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts to your Saves list
Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Dickenson Bay | PO Box 251, St. John's, Antigua   |
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in St. John's
Ontario
“Wonderful Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Airport is a mess but is being rebuilt which should help. Beautiful flowers as soon as your leave the airport. First impressions of the hotel for me was "oh no" but as soon as we hit the front desk everything changed. Best front desk I have seen in a long time. I wish I was good on names but then again, all the staff were all good. Rooms are clean and basic. Who needs more. Air conditioner worked well once I figured out the remote. Could be helpful to have instructions for us technically slow people. Awesome beach to walk. Beautiful water. Food is tasty but limited but it is a small resort. I would have liked to seen more fruit in the morning along with granola. Dinners were really tasty. For a 3* resort the food was tastier than I have had in better rating resorts.
Wonderful side trips included a helicoper trip to Monserrat, the Excellence cruise around the island including lunch and snorkelling - great crew on that boat.
You are allowed to go to the sister resort Hawksbill by Rex which I recommend. It is so quaint and intimate. I felt like I was in a movie from the 40s were the rich and famous would go to hide out back then. Nice day trip. Small private beaches. Great water sports guys that took us out on a hobby craft. Saw sea turtles. Also really nice staff. Definitely for couples, not families.
I would go back to Anitigua in an instant and I still have't been to all the places I want to go.
Air Transat rep was the worst I have ever encountered and has really turned me off using Air Transat for awhile. If she wasn't selling it, it wasn't worth doing. Other than a few hours, she was never there. We missed out on going to Barbuda because she said the water was too rough. Spoke to a few that went over to see the pink sand beach and they said the water was fine and the beach was beautiful. Also spoke to other vacationers who took the bus which our rep said never came. Just hope I never run into Michele again on another trip.
Thanks to Delano Payne taxi service for making the calls back to the hotel to find my glasses, Anderson for bringing them to the airport and Lake for a nice tour of St. Johns and taking us to the sister resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

At first we stayed at one of the garden room. It was modest and clean. It was OK. The light on the bathroom took ten seconds to light but other than that it was OK. Then half way through we moved to one of the ocean facing suite. The room was huge, with living room and sofas stuff like that, but again modest. The AC took awhile to turn on, so we just left it on the whole time. The windows facing the ocean were dirty with dead bugs scattered all over, so that's too bad. The food overall was OK, but nothing special. The staff didn't look too happy, looked like they have been working long hours and tired, especially the cook. There were only two staff that looked happy all the time and greeted us. One old lady who was cleaning our room, always smile and greet us, "good morning!!!!" and one young guy who worked at the bar near the pool, always smilling and refilled our drinks at dinner. The hotel definitely needs renovations. The tour desk at the lobby was good. I took a jeep tour around Antigua and liked it. The taxi company "star" who operates at the hotel was good too. But you better make sure of the price before you hop on to their taxi to the town. The price list hanging on the wall is per person, but if the taxi sits for 7 persons and only 2 of you going, they will charge you the price of the whole taxi with 7 persons on it and they did not tell you in the beginning! Which I think it's unfair to the customer!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

As everyone stated already the staff is what makes this place and they are always ready and willing to help. The food is very good and the rooms are clean and spacious, also the grounds are well kept. The hotel has two main restaurants one buffet where breakfast is held and the alacarte one on the water which is opened only a few nights per week. The bar has watered down drinks and the water fountain there needs some attention, the tea area is never tidy beside the water fountain its a hit or miss if you get a cup to have a coffee. Most times the guys in the bar spends to much time giving the single females all the attention its like a bother when you ask for anything at the bar. The buildings does need some serious work but the beach and the staff makes this place what it is. If you need to see the island GG will show you all there is to see in Antigua, Shirley Heights is a must. Fenton is a really nice guy and he makes you smile. I love to see different places so it make be a while before i return but i will.

Room Tip: room in the back looking at ocean
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Rooms are a little tired, but clean and how much time do you really spend in your room. Its the people, the food, the view that really makes your vacation. We explored the island and what a beauty it is. We did a one day tour to get our bearings and then rented a car for a day to see what we had not seen on the tour. This was a great location, wonderful staff, small comfortable resort. Not for those who want a real party week.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
newmarket,Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just got back from our anniversary Antigua trip,we booked this hotel on a last minute deal,due to the value of our trip we went with very low expectations, the hotel is very tired,some renovation was done but still needs a lot of work.The rooms are clean,beds are comfortable,staff is amazing due to the size of the hotel you get to know them on personal level, they go out of your way to help you,from front desk to restaurant,to bar staff great bunch of people doing a wonderful job.the hotel is located at the end of dickinson bay beautiful long sandy beach,calm waters and great colours,I walked the beach every morning and loved every moment of it.the food was good but limited offering.Every day you have the buffet for brakfast and dinner and the beach for lunch,if you miss your time you have to wait for the next meal so you always have to hurry and eat even if you are not hungry.For the most part the experience was amazing recommended with low expectation.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brantford, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

March 23rd, 2013 - Never stayed at a Rex Resort previously but have done considerable travel to different Caribbean areas over the past 6 years, from 31/2 star to 5 star. This resort has huge potential but is in serious need for updating. We had a garden view room in the back area of the resort. Rooms were clean and beds were comfortable but there were many repairs required throughout the room and bathroom. Water does run brown when first turned on but if you let it run a few seconds it clears up. Water pressure was quite good. Beach was absolutely wonderful but they really need to either shave down the corners on the roof of the cabana's or put rubber bumpers on them. Several guests hit their heads and were getting bruised or cuts on their scalps from them. Sunsets on the beach are worth the time to enjoy them. We went on our own Day trips and arranged them through the owner of the car rental on the grounds. GG (short for his name) was super helpful and a wonderful tour guide. He took us where we wanted to go and provided us with lots of information & made our newly formed group of 6 feel very welcome to Antigua. I would recommend him in a heartbeat. Breakfast and lunch were the same every single day. No real variety, but food was not bad. Food at dinner was also okay. We did not try the Al a carte as you do have to pay extra for that and considering the rest of the food was just okay, we were concerned it may not be really worth it. As stated this was a last minute trip at a very good deal. Considering Antigua can be very pricy we were happy with our deal. Would I have paid more to stay at this resort? Absolutely not. It was worth what we paid and no more. Antigua is a wonderful little island with beautiful beaches but Rex Resorts really needs to invest some funds if they want to keep customers coming back.

Room Tip: If you want a better view and you're willing to pay more for this resort then go for the pool vi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I am a many time traveller to Cuba (twice this year already) Admittedly I travel there because it is a value destination and I have come to enjoy the people. Some of the shine of Cuba has begun to come off however as the tipping regime and the food quality is really in a freefall decline. Enter an opportunity to travel to Antigua and the Halcyon.

Food - The single biggest difference between the resorts of Cuba and the Hacyon - food! Every meal at the Rex was outstanding, great fish, meat mains, veggies, starches and desserts. Breakfeast is the typical resort fair with an omelet station and other assorted breafeast fair (they were short on fruit many mornings) Lunch is served ocean side and is a BBQ grill and buffet style. Supper is buffet or ala-carte. There is one ala carte option and not everything on the menu is available if you are there as an all inclusive guest. The other options to purchase are over priced. The Rex could improve this by opening up more options on the menu for all in guests.
The biggest drawback as mentioned elsewhere is the limited options and therefor food ran out and was not as promptly refilled as should have been. I frequently waited for or skipped options as they had run out and were not replenished in a timely fashion.

The grounds - Beachfront and easy to get around for able bodied people, there are steps to get to the buffet making it inaccessible for the elderly or handicapped. No real lush gardens but not barren either. The exterior of the buildings are showing their age and up keep does not seem a priority. There are some issues such as uneven or broken concrete which could represnt a trip hazard. It was certainly passable and the ocean front view trumps most of the picky concerns anyone might have unless you are very discerning about this aspect of your vacation.

Room - Other reviewers have used words like worn out, dated and in need of renovation - this is all true. There are rooms being renovated and we had a room that was ocean front but not recently renvated (room 382). The bed was old,the furniture worn (a drawer would not open) It did have a flat screen TV with ample english channels, the batroom was recently improved with new vainity and shower tub combo. The room was adequate to our needs and again the view trumped any issues we could summon up. The room had a balcony with two chairs, a lounger and small table. A post script to this section - we were first put in room 309 wich was a large two room apartment style room that was very dated - fully worn out bathroom, old furniture with the musty "old" smell equal to its appearance, it had no balcony or full view of the ocean. We would have had a very different impression of the Rex if this had been our room for the week. We asked to be moved and the hotel quickly indulged us and told us the new room was an upgrade which I can say unequivocally agree with.

Staff - great, even the front desk who can be amongst the most prickly folks at these type of resorts were helpful and wanting to please. Tipping is appreciated but never once was I overlooked at the bar if I didnt have a buck in my hand as is becoming the case in some Cuban resorts. The service was prompt and with a smile. The cooks were great and appreciated the compliments that were free flowing for their efforts.

Resort Size - This is a small resort which is good and bad, good because it is an intimate vacation experience. Bad, because small has limitations in terms of options - like one ala carte, one buffet, one bar one pool and so on. This means line ups and I imagine in peak season (we were less then 50% full) I bet the line ups would be a factor.

Entertainment - Bands and singers came to resort - they were okay, steel band, and contemporary music, childrens dance group and karaoke rounded out the offering. It was not a highlight part of the trip but an okay addtion.

General info and final impression - I paid $950 per person cdn for the week and believe it was a good value for money for vacation. I traveled in late March early April which I am told is their shoulder season and so we got the lower price point. In high season I would think anything less then $1500.00 would be a fair price. I would not pay more - but I am a value vacation guy!
WIFI was good and often even accessible on the beach. You will want to do some excursions to see the island but remember it is only 108 square miles so there is not a lot to see. Share a taxi when you want to travel and you can bargain on the prices.

A warning - It is hot hot and more hot - I did not drink enough fluids and I was dehydrated, It made me feel ill until I rested and drank lots of water. The intensity of the sun is much greater then Cuba and I was not prepared for that difference.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room with a balcony
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!