My partner and I travelled to Antigua to enjoy some QT and relax after a very busy year. We arrived on December 29th and spent New Years at the resort, departing on January 5th.
Overall, the trip was fantastic. Antigua is absolutely stunning.
When we first arrived at Hawksbill, I was in awe of the grounds. It's an extremely private little oasis at the end of a road. You're surrounded by hillside, palm trees, and beautiful beaches. We were greeted with delicious drinks, warm smiles and a "room upgrade"! We had originally booked a Garden Room and were offered an Ocean Side room when we arrived. I was a little bit disappointed when we were first entered our room. Although absolutely adorable from the outside with a fantastic view of the ocean, the room itself was very bland and boring. Everything was WHITE, and not in a good way. It was not an overly welcoming or cozy space, but we weren't planning on spending much time in the room anyways so I got over it! Throughout the course of the trip, there were a few little things that arose but things were generally dealt with fairly quickly. When we first arrived, we had no hot water (which was a common theme throughout most of the trip) and the power in the bathroom area did not work. When we went up for dinner we informed the front desk and by the time we got back from dinner both issues were resolved.
- Absolutely stunning beaches. The nude beach is by the far the best! If you walk to the very end of the beach it is much more secluded. You can adventure around on the rocks to see lots of crabs and a neat little cave that the water splashes in and out of. It's gorgeous.
- The food was good! I'm a pesco-vegetarian, so I don't eat meat (only fish). During dinner, there was at least 2 vegetarian options every night in addition to vegetables, rice, fresh fish, fruit and desserts. The desserts were OK. Nothing to write him about, but everything else was fantastic. The best yorkshire puddings I've ever had in my life (aside from my Dads). The lunch was excellent. You can order off the grill (fresh fish, burgers, hotdogs, etc.) and there is always fries, salads, vegetables and rice. They also have a menu you can order off of which we didn't realize until our last day. Try the vegetable roti - to die for! Breakfast was good as well. Always 3-4 different types of fruit, oatmeal, eggs done whichever way you like, beans, etc. Great coffee!
- The service had it's ups and downs. Some of the wait staff were far from friendly, but then others were fabulous. The good made up for the bad. They all seemed to warm up to us by the end of the week.
- The drinks were great! Cold beer, decent wine and amazing pina coladas. One thing that would have been nice is to have a little menu that they could offer you (they did this at the dinner bar, but not the lunch bar). They just sort of ask what you want and stare at you until you make a decision. The first few days, I didn't really know what sort of drinks I felt like and sometimes it's nice to have a menu to look over.
- The guys at the water sports hut are amazing. Sean was absolutely hilarious and was very helpful. He even offered to take us out for the night and show us around Antigua. Dosher took my partner out for a personal snorkel trip. They kayaked a few bays down and snorkeled around some beautiful areas. It was really nice of him to take the time to spend an hour or so showing him around. They offer kayaks, Hobie Cats and snorkel gear and are always extremely pleasant and helpful.
- COLD SHOWERS (unless you shower in the middle of the day)
- Very uncomfortable mattress. As great of a time as I was having, I was looking forward to my own bed by the end of the week.
- As I said, some of the wait staff were quite rude. I had one lady chase me down for taking a fork from the 'dessert' section to use to eat my lunch. She took it back from me and told me she would bring me a fork for lunch which came about 5 minutes after my salad had been sitting in the sun. As a person who works in the hospitality industry, the customer comes first. Let me take the dang dessert fork to eat my salad with if that's going to make me happy. Also, when they are seating you for breakfast and dinner they just seat you wherever they want and if you ask to be seated somewhere else it always seems as if it's a BIG DEAL. People are paying a lot of money to come and spend the week at your resort. Let them sit where they want, and do it with a smile!
Overall, the resort was fantastic! I would recommend Hawksbill to couples who are just looking to spend time with one another and relax. There are no big parties, no late nights. It's a place to put your feet up, read books, swim in the ocean, and relax.
Other things to note:
- Go into St. John's for the day! It's a fun vibe when the cruise ships are in. Lots of people, steel bands, shopping!
- Go on the catamaran trip to Barbuda! By far my favourite tour we did the whole week! We went with the Excellence tour and it was fabulous. Delicious drinks, great music, and amazing views. Once you get to Barbuda, go for the trip to the bird sanctuary to see the frigid birds. They were really neat. Bring a little container with a lid to collect some pink sand from the pink sand beach. So stunning.
- If you feel like getting off the resort for a night to eat somewhere different, try Sheer Rocks. It's expensive, but a really special place.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Despegar.com, Otel, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Hawksbill by Rex Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hawksbill By Rex Hotel St. John`s
- Hawksbill Antigua
- Hawksbill By Rex Antigua
- Hawksbill Hotel Antigua
- Hawksbill Beach Resort
- Hawksbill Resort Antigua
- Hawksbill By Rex Resorts Antigua/Saint John Parish