“Relaxing, rustic Caribbean paradise!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Five Islands, St. John's, Antigua   |
Special Price
New Year Offer-Be Quick!
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in St. John's
“Relaxing, rustic Caribbean paradise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

My partner and I travelled to Antigua to enjoy some QT and relax after a very busy year. We arrived on December 29th and spent New Years at the resort, departing on January 5th.

Overall, the trip was fantastic. Antigua is absolutely stunning.

When we first arrived at Hawksbill, I was in awe of the grounds. It's an extremely private little oasis at the end of a road. You're surrounded by hillside, palm trees, and beautiful beaches. We were greeted with delicious drinks, warm smiles and a "room upgrade"! We had originally booked a Garden Room and were offered an Ocean Side room when we arrived. I was a little bit disappointed when we were first entered our room. Although absolutely adorable from the outside with a fantastic view of the ocean, the room itself was very bland and boring. Everything was WHITE, and not in a good way. It was not an overly welcoming or cozy space, but we weren't planning on spending much time in the room anyways so I got over it! Throughout the course of the trip, there were a few little things that arose but things were generally dealt with fairly quickly. When we first arrived, we had no hot water (which was a common theme throughout most of the trip) and the power in the bathroom area did not work. When we went up for dinner we informed the front desk and by the time we got back from dinner both issues were resolved.

The pros:
- Absolutely stunning beaches. The nude beach is by the far the best! If you walk to the very end of the beach it is much more secluded. You can adventure around on the rocks to see lots of crabs and a neat little cave that the water splashes in and out of. It's gorgeous.
- The food was good! I'm a pesco-vegetarian, so I don't eat meat (only fish). During dinner, there was at least 2 vegetarian options every night in addition to vegetables, rice, fresh fish, fruit and desserts. The desserts were OK. Nothing to write him about, but everything else was fantastic. The best yorkshire puddings I've ever had in my life (aside from my Dads). The lunch was excellent. You can order off the grill (fresh fish, burgers, hotdogs, etc.) and there is always fries, salads, vegetables and rice. They also have a menu you can order off of which we didn't realize until our last day. Try the vegetable roti - to die for! Breakfast was good as well. Always 3-4 different types of fruit, oatmeal, eggs done whichever way you like, beans, etc. Great coffee!
- The service had it's ups and downs. Some of the wait staff were far from friendly, but then others were fabulous. The good made up for the bad. They all seemed to warm up to us by the end of the week.
- The drinks were great! Cold beer, decent wine and amazing pina coladas. One thing that would have been nice is to have a little menu that they could offer you (they did this at the dinner bar, but not the lunch bar). They just sort of ask what you want and stare at you until you make a decision. The first few days, I didn't really know what sort of drinks I felt like and sometimes it's nice to have a menu to look over.
- The guys at the water sports hut are amazing. Sean was absolutely hilarious and was very helpful. He even offered to take us out for the night and show us around Antigua. Dosher took my partner out for a personal snorkel trip. They kayaked a few bays down and snorkeled around some beautiful areas. It was really nice of him to take the time to spend an hour or so showing him around. They offer kayaks, Hobie Cats and snorkel gear and are always extremely pleasant and helpful.

Cons
- COLD SHOWERS (unless you shower in the middle of the day)
- Very uncomfortable mattress. As great of a time as I was having, I was looking forward to my own bed by the end of the week.
- As I said, some of the wait staff were quite rude. I had one lady chase me down for taking a fork from the 'dessert' section to use to eat my lunch. She took it back from me and told me she would bring me a fork for lunch which came about 5 minutes after my salad had been sitting in the sun. As a person who works in the hospitality industry, the customer comes first. Let me take the dang dessert fork to eat my salad with if that's going to make me happy. Also, when they are seating you for breakfast and dinner they just seat you wherever they want and if you ask to be seated somewhere else it always seems as if it's a BIG DEAL. People are paying a lot of money to come and spend the week at your resort. Let them sit where they want, and do it with a smile!

Overall, the resort was fantastic! I would recommend Hawksbill to couples who are just looking to spend time with one another and relax. There are no big parties, no late nights. It's a place to put your feet up, read books, swim in the ocean, and relax.

Other things to note:
- Go into St. John's for the day! It's a fun vibe when the cruise ships are in. Lots of people, steel bands, shopping!
- Go on the catamaran trip to Barbuda! By far my favourite tour we did the whole week! We went with the Excellence tour and it was fabulous. Delicious drinks, great music, and amazing views. Once you get to Barbuda, go for the trip to the bird sanctuary to see the frigid birds. They were really neat. Bring a little container with a lid to collect some pink sand from the pink sand beach. So stunning.
- If you feel like getting off the resort for a night to eat somewhere different, try Sheer Rocks. It's expensive, but a really special place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
gm_hbaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
The Hawksbill by rex resort team would like to thank you for sharing your vacation experience. Your invaluable feedback greatly assists us in enhancing the vacation experience we offer at Hawksbill.

Your positive reviews pertaining to our manicured landscape; our four beautiful beaches; the tasty cuisine; the friendly service of our water sports team, the warm smiles of our bartenders serving delightful cocktails will defintely be shared with the team.

In regards to the room related issues, we apologise for the inconvenience caused and do appreciate your acknowledgment of reported issues being dealt with in a timely manner.

The reported unsuitable behaviour of the waitress is totally unacceptable and rest assured we will take the necessary disciplinary measures to prevent reoccurrence. Our service team is usually highly commended for their friendly and efficient service and this reported behaviour is definitely not the norm.

Both bars, the Sea Grapes and the Tamarind Tree, feature beverage menus with a variety of cocktails to choose from. However, we will monitor closely to ensure menus are available always.

Once again we appreciate you sharing your feedback and we do look forward to a return visit allowinging us to once again make your vacation experience with us a memorable one.

Hawksbill Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

The good things: The location is excellent, and SOME of the staff try hard. All credit to them.

But - all the buildings are way past their sell-by date. Shabby, slightly grubby, more than tired. Not enough sunbeds - and they were very old. I think they are past refurbishment - the place needs to be closed for a year or so and rebuilt.

And the staff need hospitality training - Many of the staff just didn't seem to want to be there - no engagement or acknowledgement and almost grudging attitude. Some were trying hard, however - that has to be said loud and clear. Reception on arrival felt like a recitation of School Rules, not a welcome. Food was variable - sometimes good, mainly very ordinary.

We had 4 days here after a week at nearby Galley Bay. What a difference! maybe this suffered by comparison, but I doubt it.

Rex Resorts - if you think this is OK, I won't be looking for a holiday at any of your other resorts!

Room Tip: Try to book at Galley Bay if you're in this area of the Island!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
gm_hbaanu, General Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
The Hawksbill by rex resorts team would like to thank you for sharing your comments. We value your feedback for it assists us in making the vacation experience more memorable.

We appreciate your comment in regards to our unique location and the work of our staff.

The Hawksbill facility is mature in age and was built in 1960. In order to maintain the physical character of the buildings, only minor changes have been made over the past years. Nevertheless, your recommendation for refurbishment is noted.

In regards to training, all staff undergo such each year and its ongoing. We will continue to re-brief our team on the importance of effective and efficient customer service.

Our receptionists deliver a standard welcome orientation to all arrivals and its usually complimented by many. However, your feedback in regards to this is noted and will be shared with them.

In regards to food, our Chef and his team aim to please the most discerning palate.

Once again, we would like to thank you for your feedback and truly hope that you may reconsider a return visit in the future.

lichfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

The setting for this hotel is fantastic, the beaches and the staff first class. That's where it ends as the accommodation was basic and in need of a huge improvement in all aspects. It's obvious that Rex have no money to invest in this hotel and it shows every where you go. It needs big investment as nothing has been done for years and I would never go here again until it has been done. The other major problem are the flies and mosquitos, every one got bites and they were many of them, the resort were supposed to spray the beach and land every day, in 11 nights, it was done once. It's a shame as with some investment it would easily be a 4 star, not 2 star resort

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
CEO-rexresorts, CEO at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Rex Resorts and indeed the Hawksbill team would like to thank you for sharing your comments with us. We value customer feedback for this assists us in making the necessary improvements which make the vacation experience even more enjoyable and memorable.

We truly appreciate your positive comments in regards to the Resorts atmosphere; the staff service and the four beautiful beaches we offer due to our unique location on the island.

Unfortunately, the mentioned flies and mosquitoes are common in the Caribbean and more present in the rainy months. However, we will review our methods of control.

We do have plans to renovate and upgrade the resort, details to be announced in due course. Rex Resorts is a stable and very well established company.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We very much look forward to extending warm welcomes to you and family on your future visits to Hawksbill.
Croydon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We were first time visitors to the Hawksbill In Nov/Dec. We have never been to such a friendly hotel with beautiful beaches and sea. The staff were great, the food fine, the bar staff served with a smile.The bungalows were clean and close to the beach .There was plenty of space for sunbeds
The pool was small but as the beautiful sea was so close it didn't matter. The BBQ on beach was excellent. We were surprised at the number of repeaters, who had there own reception one night, But by the end of the holiday we understood what a great family they all were.The whole place could do with a revamp and development but this would probably spoil its charm and good price. We would certainly recommend this hotel for a quiet peaceful holiday and would consider returning

Room Tip: All the bungalows are good but the sea views are next to the beach and the garden views just behind...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
The Hakwsbill by rex resorts team would like to thank you for sharing your comments. We value your feedback for it assists us in making the vacation experience more memorable.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the choice of four beautiful white sand beaches; the friendly and efficient service offered by our team; the fine cuisine; our bartenders great smiles; our cozy and clean bungalow accommodations and our Beach Barbeque.

Hawksbill by rex resorts is well known for its repeat customers (highest ratio in Antigua) who truly consider the Resort to be their second home. We offer the ideal atmosphere for meeting new friends and very much a reunion of friends met in the past.

We take note of your recommendation to revamp the facility.

Once again thank you for sharing your kind comments and we truly appreciate the gesture to recommend us to others seeking a memorable vacation experience.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We went back to Hawksbill for our 7th Christmas / New year break this year - so we knew what to expect, we have come home again totally chilled & ready for work.
We felt like exploring a couple of times over the 10 days; after the obligatory trip to St Johns, we had a chat to Duncan, one of the taxi drivers - to help design a trip that suited us. As the 4 beaches at Hawkesbill are absolutely glorious & lunch is always served at the beach bar - we didn't feel like taking the standard trip that ends in a swim & beach BBQ - we wanted to find out more of the life of the island. Duncan didn't disappoint - he managed to combine some of the more interesting stops of the normal packages - with a non stop commentary about island life. He has plenty more ideas in store for next year!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I stayed here last week with my girlfriend for 3 nights. We didn't expect a 5 star hotel as for the price we paid compared to others on the island and going by the reviews on here.

The Room:
We stayed in one of the garden bungalows, which was metres from the beach and the room was basic as we expected. The safe in the room did not have a lock and it did now look like it had for a long time, which annoyed us as they insisted on us signing a separate form stating that the hotel was not responsible for anything stolen, that wasn't put in the safe. I told the receptionist and she said someone would fix it....no one ever came.

The shower head broke one day, again I told reception and nothing was done. So I just took it apart and fixed it myself.

Then we had an ant problem in the bathroom. As for the hotels poor response to the 2 previous problems I decided to sort this out myself by using the ridiculously hot tap in the sink and clearing away the trail of ants marching there way in and out of the room.

Location:
Yes it has a fantastic location, and with the amount of beach space we had our own spot on the beach the entire time with the nearest other guest being about 20 metres away. This was the best bit and really what we came hear for with our quest for some winter sun and a relaxing recharge.

Food:
The food for breakfast and evening was fine, nothing to write home about but it did the job. The beach BBQ was not good. Food quality was poor, and the pieces of goat where just the offcuts of bone from the meat factory with a bit of meat surrounding it.

The Staff:
Most of the staff were very friendly, the cleaner got us some more milk when we asked for some the next day and everyone always smiles and says hello when passing.

BUT, this is what ruined it for me. The beach BBQ chef was a state, she was rude and did not look like she wanted to be there and we saw her eat the odd chip whilst serving. I mean come on! The story was the same with one of the bartenders on the beach. She did not look like she wanted to be there the entire time, she was inattentive, never smiled. But coming from England I am used to miserable people so I didn't let it bother me too much. But she tried serving me a beer in a dirty glass someone had just brought back, and told my girlfriend off for not bringing back her glass. I was disgusted, no one should feel uncomfortable or unwelcome on holiday.

Sort out the customer service here please! I wont be coming back again, which is a real shame as the location is beautiful!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

reception staff were charming and helpfull.
meals were good thought dinner could had better choices apart from that breakfast was brill.
bar staff were brill kept me topped up and of course the star millie theres the water sports staff and sean who was very helpfull.
cleaning staff were great and jaqualine who sang happy birthday to me
all in hotel was great
ian and debs from scotland
ps will be back if john gives me a big discount

Room Tip: get a room with air /con back from the beach
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hawksbill by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!