“Just checked in today - & All is Super/Great!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort

You added Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort to your Saves list
Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jumby Bay Island | P.O. Box 243, St. John's, Antigua   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in St. John's
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Just checked in today - & All is Super/Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My family & I (4 total) just checked in today (Monday) & all is Super/Great!

We flew into Antigua on Saturday, & originally had started our Vacation at a different resort, but moved over to Jumby Bay this morning. What a great decision!

From the moment the ferry picks you up at the receiving dock, all has been absolutely Fabulous! Every single representative that we have come across has been a true pleasure to be with.

The two gentleman on the boat - Great!
Melinda greeted us as we arrived - she is so pleasant & welcoming!
Kewami (sp-?) checked us in & showed us around - she was so helpful, cheerful, & nice!
The crew at the beach (Genni, Amani, Kev, Franka, etc) - Just Wonderful!
The Staff at the restaurant that we went to for lunch - absolutely wonderful!
The accommodations - Beautiful!

We take approx 4 vacations per year, & Jumby Bay fits perfect with what we believe a vacation is all about:
- Great Service!
- Nice, pleasant, professional Staff!
- Beautiful Accomadations!
- Delicious Food!
- Top Shelf Alcohol!
... I could go & on, but I need to get ready for Dinner

To the entire Jumby Bay personnel: - Thank-You for making us like we are on a special vacation - which we are! ... You guys are Super!

Thumbs-Up!
& Great Job!
J.P. Davis

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I just returned from 5 nights at Jumby Bay in June of 2013. Overall, I had a wonderful experience. It starts when you arrive- you are immediately greeted by someone at the airport so that you don't have to worry about dealing with transport. You and your luggage are taken to a waiting car and immediately driven to a private dock. Everything is taken care of and you don't have to do anything for yourself from that point forward. The greeting you receive on the island is very warm, and you don't have to deal with any kind of complicated check in process.

We stayed in a ocean view villa, which was wonderful. Huge bathroom, tons of space. My one complaint would be that the air circulation in the bathroom is pretty bad, especially in the room where the toilet is. But beyond that, the rooms are perfection. We were situated immediately next to the pool, which was quite convenient. We were informed that the resort was at 75% capacity, but it honestly seemed empty- in a good way. We divided our days between the pool and beach. Service at the pool could use some improvement, but overall, everything we asked for was taken care of promptly. The food at the pool is also excellent.

Overall, the food was decent, though certainly not what you would expect in a five star restaurant. That's fine, because to me this outweighs having to pay for every meal, but this is not fine dining. But its certainly the best all inclusive food I've ever had. It's also nice that the alcohol is all top shelf, which is certainly an improvement over most all inclusive resorts.

Other items:

- the bikes- thought this was a little cutesy when we were booking, but turns out the bikes are actually a lot of fun and a great way to get around

- snorkel trip- nice that this is included, but it is on kind of a crappy boat and the snorkel site isn't that great. Still nice to get out in the ocean though.

- Spa- not exactly what I'd expect (not a spa building, just a series of treatment rooms), but my treatment was excellent.

- I have a gluten allergy, and when I arrived at the island the manager made sure to let me know that he was aware (I emailed before I arrived), and I was provided with a gluten free menu and gluten free bread at any meal.

Room Tip: Villa #37 is right next to the pool- and no noise issues.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Jumby Bay exceeded my expectations across the board. Everything about our stay was exemplary and memorable. I don’t even know where to begin or end, but some major highlights were: the consistently warm and personalized greetings from the staff from the moment we arrived on the island; the superb facilities – clean, spacious and luxurious; the always fresh and well-prepared food; and the extremely high level of service delivered – whether it was in your guest room, at the restaurant or lounging at the beach.

Check-in:
Smoothest and most accommodating check-in process I’ve ever experienced. As we disembarked from the resort ferry, about 10 staff members were lined up at the dock, ready to greet us by name, hand us cool wet cloths, serve us a delicious rum punch and then seat us on a comfortable sofa in the open-air lobby so that we could relax during the check-in process. The entire experience was fast and painless, and the Resort Director (Trevor) even stopped by to welcome us (he then continued to greet us by name several times during our stay). Then they whisked us away in a golf-cart to our upgraded suite, where our luggage was already waiting for us.

Guest Room:
Our guest room (a Pool Suite) was one of the nicest rooms we’ve ever stayed in. The suite was spacious and so well laid-out in term of furnishings and amenities. I would describe the style as modern Balinese, and the unit was incredibly clean, welcoming and very ‘Zen’. There were some great special touches such as: a large open walk-in closet; an expansive bathroom with lots of natural light as well as a deep claw foot tub and large indoor and outdoor showers; and a huge flat-screen TV that even had room temperature controls on the screen.

Food:
Extremely good, even by our high New York City dining standards. We were particularly surprised given we usually don't expect food to be a highlight when it comes to all-inclusive resorts. But Jumby Bay's dining did not disappoint. Don't miss the fried wasabi shrimp appetizer, lobster & avocado salad or the fish tacos at the Pool Grille -- they are all addictively delicious!!!

Overall Service:
The level of service was amazing, and sometimes unbelievably so. This was true across all of our interactions throughout our visit. But I’ll cite some of our most memorable examples...All staff (and I mean ALL) not only greeted you by name and with a smile, but they also seemed to know exactly what day you were on within your stay, and would customize their greeting accordingly -- i.e., "So how was your first night at Jumby Bay?" or "I see you're leaving tomorrow. Is there anything else we can do to make your last day great?" Also, whenever my husband left his sunglasses out on the desk, we would return to our room (after breakfast, etc.) to find eyeglass cleaner & cloth left alongside them. On the main beach, which I estimate was about a mile long, guests were seated only about 1 in every 5 beach huts (as we went during an off-peak time). However, this did not at all stop the beach staff from proactively making their way down the entire beach (by foot) about once/hour to serve us everything from fresh fruit smoothies, to crab & conch fritters, to mini-pizzas, to frappucinos – and all with a smile. Finally, for turn-down service, housekeeping would lay out cloth floor mats and gender-matched slippers alongside the bed, as well as a bottle of water, a mini-flashlight and a homemade treat (encased in a lovely glass serving dish) on the bedside tables.

Overall, an amazing resort and an unforgettable experience. A new bar has been set. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Highly recommend the Pool Suites. Absolutely gorgeous and spacious rooms. Also great location -- n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We are adjusting to reality after an idyllic week at Jumby Bay. It is hard. On all fronts, this resort is superb. The staff really make it that way. I was impressed with the way couples and families were accommodated in a way that made it enjoyable for each group. My favourite spot was the Pool Grille -- make sure you spend time there. All restaurants, bars and beaches were great. We were on an All Inclusive plan and the inclusions were very generous.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Courtyard Beach Suite and loved it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My wife, our three college age children, and I have just returned from a spectacular family vacation at Jumby Bay. The facilities were top notch. The staff was attentive to every need. Two in my family suffer food allergies and Chef Giovanni came out the first night and pointed out the foods that were safe for them to eat at the White Night Buffet--a not to be missed culinary extravaganza on the sand. Every night thereafter, we received fresh baked gluten free bread and cookies at dinner. The greeters, Melinda and Rita, were omnipresent being certain that every detail was perfect. The included water sports--sailing, waterskiing, kayaking, snorkeling, and stand up paddle boarding--were manned by a very capable and entertaining staff including Lorenze and Wayne. They even came out with a speed boat to check on my son and me when a squall blew in while we were sailing. The beach was beautiful fine white sand. The beach staff was outstanding, coming around with fruit juice, smoothies, drinks, and ice cream sandwiches throughout the day. Omarie and Rayon were particular standouts in a universally exceptional beach staff. We even made it part of our daily routine to visit Adele in the hotel sundries shop which is well stocked with vacation necessities. The concierge staff was very helpful though I am afraid I do not remember their names; eventhough, the concierges, and the rest of the staff, always knew our name.
The location is classic but it is the staff that brings the experience to extraordinary. I have no hesitation in saying that a caribbean vacation does not get better than Jumby Bay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sorrento, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have been visiting Jumby Bay every year for last three years, it's the best hotel I have ever been to. The Veranda and Estate House bars make the best cocktails and the Beach Bar and the Pool Grill Bar make the best snacks and smoothies. The guys at Water sports are amazing, they taught me how to wake-board in ONE session. The Spa treatments are amazing, the suites are spacious, light and incredibly comfortable, the bathrooms are beyond wow!!! The Pool Grill offers an amazing view of the ocean while lazing in the infinity edge pool enjoying a cocktail. The beach is quiet and the sounds of the waves are soothing and tanning on the raft while being rocked by the waves is just what you need. One of the best things on Jumby is that everyone gets a bike and cycling around the island is yet another great Jumby experience - some of the Estate homes are amazing.

Ultimately the best thing about Jumby Bay are the people, they are all incredible - warm, friendly, they remember your name and they anticipate your needs. The service relative to other top Caribbean resorts is second to none.

Of all Caribbean resorts i have stayed at, none comes close to Jumby Bay.

Room Tip: Go for the renovated pond bay suites they are definitely worth the difference.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

People often forget how difficult it is to run a luxury resort in the Caribbean. Many items we take for granted on the mainland must be imported to these islands. For the most part, the labor pool from which managment must hire is limited. Resorts can't "steal" cream-of-the-crop employees from the luxury resort across the street. Typically, most resorts in the Islands run on "island time"........ and you just have to put up with less-than-perfect conditions/service if you want to enjoy the beauties of the Caribbean.
Which is why I was totally surprised by the stellar service we received at Jumby Bay. From the minute we stepped off the private launch onto this island resort, we were pampered in exactly the same fashion as had we been at any Four Seasons Hotel on the mainland -- perhaps better! From the very first greeting, we were addressed by name (with a smile) by the employees. Didn't have the flavor ice cream I wanted for dessert? Someone ran off to the other restaurant to fetch it for me! Problem with a light bulb in your room? Someone showed up at our door within minutes to fix it! "No" just didn't seem to be in their vocabulary.
This level of service was somewhat puzzling, because Caneel Bay (another Rosewood Resort on St. John, USVI) -- while managed by the same high end hotel company -- just can't seem to pull off the "service". Don't get me wrong....... I love Caneel Bay (thank God for the 100 point natural setting!), but you just learn to put up with second class service in the USVI. I never realized that I could find a place in the Caribbean where you didn't have to settle for standard service!
Two small caveats: 1) This resort caters mainly to families. If you don't want to be surrounded by kids, this may not be the place for you. However, we had no problems, as everyone was very well behaved. 2) There basically is only one (beautiful) beach, but no snorkelling. If you want to snorkel, you must be tacken via boat to another island (thrice weekly). So if you are looking for a place where you can snorkel right off your beach (like Caneel Bay), this also might not suit your needs.

Room Tip: The suites were spectacular. Definitely worth spending the extra over the standard rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Jumby Bay, A Rosewood Resort? Share your experiences!