“Not very impressed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 27 hotels in Anguilla
Anguilla
“Not very impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Guest house was old but was clean. Music from the nearby restaurant was very loud from 4pm onwards and I could not sleep. I walked to to Raza restaurant and the hostess was not very friendly, she was waiting for me to greet her.Please pay abit extra and stay somewhere else if you want to enjoy your vacation.Thank god I was there for for 2 nights only.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Paris (France)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I am an Anguilla fan and I have been a regular visitor for about 20 years. I was looking for an affordable self-catering unit for a short break in January and the Allamanda had availability.
I was not looking for luxury, but for quiet and promixility to Shoal Bay (a good 10 to 15 minute walk on the beach to get there).

The taxi who picked me up at the ferry drove me to a supermarket upon arrival, so that I could buy some groceries, as I did not want to rent a car and did not intend to do anything else but relax.

The unit was quite old, but clean. The phone did not work and the staff on duty was not particularly welcoming. The owner, though, came over to fix the shutters on a Friday evening, which I appreciated.

The one thing that really bothered me was the very loud noise of the hotel's AC systems on the wall right outside my kitchen and since there were no window to close, that kept me pretty awake.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I knew this was not going to be the best place after reading the reviews. We stayed at Cap Juluca before, but wanted to try shoal bay east. Like others said, we had issues on arriving late Sat. and not having key left and managers gone. Not what you want to deal with after traveling all day. Now to the room....We had room on ground floor across from pool/restaurant. Which gets very loud at night. Room was very outdated, old, dingy. Bathroom and shower were disgusting. Poor lighting and mold in shower. I showered with my sandals and felt dirty even after taking a shower. Luckily I brought Clorox wipes and wiped bathroom and kitchen down. By far worst room I've ever stayed in. Worse than being 20 and staying in a best western. We even had some roaches. Bed sheets had some kinda of stains on them, and bed hard as a rock. Only thing that worked well was the AC. Beach only few min walk thru mangrooves and takes you right to Gwen's. Great hammocks to lie on and they have chairs. Not great area of beach to sunbathe, need to walk down beach some. But, if you like the shade and ocean breeze its a great spot. We ended up staying just 3 nights and booked a room at the new Fountain on other side of shoal bay east. It was well worth the extra $!!!!! The Allamanda could be a great place if the owners just gave it some TLC! I expect to stay somewhere as nice as my home or nicer. I would never go back to Allamanda.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Yes we knew this place was below average even before we booked it. It is on the eastern end of the island and we had reservations for the rest of the week at a nice place on the West End, Meads Bay. So we figured that we were arriving later in the day, it was over and then dinner. So to save some money we stayed here for one night. It was enough. You get the bare minimum here so you have been warned. It is an old warn down place and not the type of room you want to come home to after being on the beach etc. Skip it unless for the interim night like we used it for. Why pay big bucks for a lost day just getting to Anguilla? Stay here upon your arrival, rent a car at the Ferry, then go to the West End the next day.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Anguilla is an amazing gem, the best kept secret in the Caribbean. No nasty cruise ships full of fat demanding American junk shoppers, no St. Thomas-esc 3 MPH bumper to bumper traffic that consumes hours of your time traveling a few short miles. No bad attitudes, no shootings and crime, no American chain restaurants or hotels, just a pristine place lost in a time of simpler ways and simpler means chalked full of very pleasant and kind folks graced with indelible smiles. Ironically, their's more Northeast (New York & Boston) money on this island that you could imagine, but the place is without question a peaceful paradise only the lucky that have discovered it truly understand. The place really grows on you.

Know that Anguilla is not a place to come for night life, which is just fine by me, it is a couples and family haven, and I guess as I think about it, the only young people were the locals or the folks with school aged kids, the majority beyond that were 50+.

Disclaimer: I travel for a living and spend as many as a 100 nights a year on the road. I'm biased toward fancier accommodations and finer dinning, but I always eat at the bar over a table. It could be easy to read this review and think snob, but you need to know I truly enjoy the simplicity of a hammock on the beach and a cold beer as much as I like a pillow top mattress at the Ritz with a fine glass of wine. Try to keep that in mind as you read this review, I enjoy the aspects both extremes .

On to the hotel, Allamanda Beach Club in my opinon has no business being ranked 13 out of 28. I read most of the recent reviews and thought,"Oh, sounds good." ah, NOT.

Plan to starve unless you go shopping. The website tells of breakfast, but god only knows who serves it. The two non associated restaurants on and near the property are only open for one meal each, Gwen's for lunch on the beach and Zara's after 6PM for an very expensive dinner, not unlike most dinning establishments on Anguilla. Know also if you hang around the pool, you need to provide your own refreshments, there is no pool side bar or food. In fact, there is not food or beverage service from the hotel of any type. Breakfast and lunch and/or dinner if you don't want to drive are best had next door at Serenity.(Credit cards accepted.)

The Allamanda building itself is horribly worn and out dated, patched together repainted and shabbily repaired. The drapes barely hang on the rods, and don't even cover the patio door. The room to room noise durning the day with the doors open is really loud. One needs to whisper if the windows are open if you don't want to share your conversation with the rest of the guests! (Oblivious persons take note) I concur with other reviewers that the bedroom and the verandas are okay and the rooms are very quiet at night, but then again, so is the island as a whole. The beds are fairly comfortable and the bedroom furnishings are adequate and somewhat recent, including the plastic wrap that's still on the lamp shades, and as others have mentioned cable TV is 50 channels deep. (The free WiFi works well too!) I did sleep extremely well, almost like being in a tomb, but that's were it ends. The bathroom (tub/toilet room) is like the other reviewer mentioned, so small your leg hits the toilet roll or the wall. Honestly, the bath is just plan nasty, and the kitchen was so gross I felt I needed to wash rewash the glassware before I it was used. YUCK Don't get me wrong, I'm super Okay with simple, in fact in a place like Anguilla, I love simple, I just can't deal with grungy.

The very nice housekeeper advised me not to drink the tap water and advised me to drink the provided bottled water so as not to contract travelers ah hum yeah, that problem. The establishment provides all the bottled water you can drink.

Also know Allamanda is situated about 200 or more yards through the mangroves to the beach. There are a couple of sand paths that lead to the beach, but unless you're on the roof, you can NOT see the ocean from the property. Again, you can NOT see the beach from anywhere but the very upper floor or the roof.

The beach itself is behind a reef a half mile off shore. The calm water is less than 5 feet deep and absolutely crystal clear as glass and warm, a snorkelers wonderland. The sand is almost like powdered sugar and creamy white. On this side of the island, the trade winds provide a marvelously pleasant breeze both day and night. The temperature varied little from a max of 81° to a min of 72°. I never ran the air-conditioning at all, the gentle breeze off the water kept the place unbelievably perfect. (Ceiling fan in the bedroom)

Allamanda Beach Club and Serenity Cottages are east of Shoal Bay and are on the eastern end of the island. Why does this matter? The money, commotion and majority of people are on the far west end of the island and these properties are about as far east, secluded and private as you can be.

Bottom line, if you are used to camping in a tent or 2 x 4 stick framed camp cabin, you'd be in hog heaven at Allamanda, especially for the price, but if you're looking for the outback with some amenities and mild refinements, stay next store at Serenity Cottages. They have a 3 meal resturant and a bar on a very secluded beach, and you don't have to worry about sticking to anything in the room, like the floor or the toilet seat.

Note--Serenity Cottages don't queue up with the rest of the hotels on Anguilla on TripAdvisor--dig a bit to find them, it's worth the effort if you want the best quiet experience on Anguilla

Lastly, bring your cash card to Anguilla, you'll need it. Gwen's like many places here take only cash (both US and Eastern Caribbean dollars) The ATMs in The Valley provide both currencies without a transaction fee. Plan $100US+ per person per day for food without alcohol. Eggs Benedict is $31US with OJ and coffee for one. Dinner entries on average are $35 or more and $60US per person just for food is the norm. $250US for dinner with wine is not difficult at all.

A CAR IS A MUST!! Driving is easy and safe and you can't get lost.

Room Tip: Stay next door and Serenity. Bring flip flops for in the room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Mukwonago, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Good: This Hotel is in a good location near the beach. We stayed here 6 years ago and came back because we enjoyed our first stay. This stay was as good as our first stay. We would go back here in the future. The Hotel is a 2 minute walk to a nice beach, but 10 - 15 minute walk on the beach from the famous Shoal Bay Beach. The pool is well kept up. The grounds look nice. The stove and refrigerator were nice to have in our room. The television got more channels than we needed. Snorkeling isn't as good as it was 6 years ago.

Bad: The walls allow noise from the neighboring room if the people are inconsiderate. The kitchen lacked utensils to cook more than the very basics. There were mosquitos in our room. I would recommend having mosquito coils and repellant to sleep well at night.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top level to get a good view of the ocean, even if you have to pay a little mor...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Babylon, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Allamanda Beach Club from January 5th - January 23rd. I would highly recommend this resort for the tranquility and peacefulness that we had on our vacation. Just a short stroll to Shoal Bay, this spot is truly what makes Anguilla. Carlene the General Manager was most gracious and our maid was like family to us with her giving us hugs when we left!!..Just a short stroll down the beach, grab a couple of rum punches at Uncle Ernie's , pull up a lounge chair from Ray, and just relax!! As a manager of a resort, I found everything from the management to the attentiveness to the room fantastic...A must!!

Room Tip: Try for an upper level room....
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Allamanda Beach Club? Share your experiences!