“Great brunch & cask ales” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Cross Oak Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Blackwood
The Cross Oak Inn
You added The Cross Oak Inn to your Saves list
Penmaen Road, Blackwood NP12 0DJ , Wales   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Blackwood B&B and Inns
Uk
“Great brunch & cask ales”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have visited this pub twice - the first time, during early lunchtime, I enjoyed a great 'brunch' and the second time, during the evening, I thoroughly enjoyed very well kept cask ales.
The surroundings are very comfortable and the landlord and his staff are welcoming and courteous

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
David_Cross_Oaks, Owner at The Cross Oak Inn, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Thanks ADM120, we very much appreciate your feedback, look forward to seeing you again

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

First time visit to this pub. A warm welcome and good service from start to finish. Good choice of roasts, plus an interesting veggie option. Food was fine - typical pub grub for starters and mains, but the home made desserts were fabulous. Creamy rice pudding for me, my husband had a chocolate torte which he reckoned was one of the best he'd ever had. Sat in the garden afterwards, a great asset and the new owners are making improvements. Would go again to try the weekday menu.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
David_Cross_Oaks, Owner at The Cross Oak Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thanks for the positive feedback, really appreciate your visit and comments, look forward to seeing you again.
Newport, South Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

We popped in for a bite to eat and weren't disappointed. The food was excellent and there was plenty of it! I can recommend the chicken tikka and gammon. If you still have enough room for dessert, there's a large choice of both homemade and bought-in - the treacle tart was superb! The staff were very friendly and attentive and although there was a slight delay with our meals, this was explained to us when we ordered. The delay was absolutely minimal and we wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't told us! A refreshing change from some restaurants I've eaten in. On the whole, excellent service and food and I'd definately recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012
David_Cross_Oaks, Owner at The Cross Oak Inn, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear melliemels,
many thanks, really appreciate your feedback.
Dave, Lesley and all the team
Blackwood, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have been going to the cross Oak for over 10 years and have seen it change hands three times. Over the years the food has always been very good, and we enjoyed many happy times and family meals there. However I went a few weeks ago and was not impressed at all with the food. The staff are great and extreamly friendly however I will no longer be eating there due to poor food. The food a few weeks ago (steak) was not very nice at all. I always have my steak Medium and it came tuff as old boots. There was no flavour and it was VERY well done. I put this down to it being a little busy so I went up there for sunday dinner the week later to give the place another chance, after all I have ate there for years. The sunday dinner was the worse dinner around. The gravy had a strange taste to it and the dinner itself was a joke. You got the following, Meet on plate with 1 roast potato. Then Cauliflower cheese, which I dont like, Sprouts, which I dont like and Cabbage. Yes that was it. Wheres the potatos you ask? I dont know. Carrots and Peas?? who knows. And its not cheap neither for the 3 course!! I went away hungry and drove straight to kfc

Would I recommend? Sadly not any more.

Note to new owners.. New Sunday dinner and New cheif

Dear danzy100,
We apologize for the two occasions on which you have visited us and our meals have not been up to our usual high standards. We continually receive positive feedback for our steaks on which we are very proud, and we are very sorry that on this occasion that it didn’t meet your expectations. I am also sorry to hear that you found our Sunday lunch disappointing. As standard every meal comes with your choice of three meats, roast potatoes, boiled potato, Yorkshire pudding and a selection of fresh vegetables (normally peas, cabbage, carrots, swede and cauliflower cheese) as well as extra gravy. We also ask guests if they’d like more gravy or veg and unfortunately this didn’t appear to happen on this occasion, for which again I apologise. Unfortunately personal preference of veg is out of our control but we try to offer a wide selection to suit all pallets. On his return from holidays, I will also ask the chef how you were served sprouts with your sunday lunch as these are only served on our Christmas fayre menu. We appreciate your feedback and I hope you will be able to come and give us another chance to impress you and change your opinion of us.
Many Thanks,
Dave, Lesley & All The Team.
Rhondda, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

food was 1st class, staff very friendly, cant beat a bit of home made rice pudding. thanks all for the welcome.

selinaphillips

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
David_Cross_Oaks, Owner at The Cross Oak Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear selina429,
Thanks for your comments, your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Hope to see you soon!
Dave, Lesley and all the team.
CAERPHILLY WALES
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We have visited the Cross Oak Inn at least 20 times in the last year. The Landlord and family are welcoming, friendly and cannot do enough to help! Food is of a very good quality with good sized portions- the steak pie is a favourite! Sunday lunch is also very tasty and not like the mass produced food you get in pub chains- traditional home cooked lunch!
A large beer garden ensures that the children are happy and you can easily keep a close eye on them from the conservatory.
Word has spread how good the food is so it's wise to book a table or you'll be disappointed!
A refreshing change to find a traditional family run pub.

Dear NINJA01,
Thanks for your positive feedback!
We really appreciate your comments and we hope to see you soon!
Many thanks,
Dave Lesley and all the team.
cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

The friendly smile and cheerful greeting of the landlord as we walked through the door of the Cross Oaks in Oakdale made us feel that we had made a good choice for a lunch time visit. We were shown to a table and given a menu with an excellent choice of food. My husband chose 'Whale of a fish' a large portion of cod served with chips and peas, I chose home cooked ham, chips and peas, served with fresh pineapple, instead of the eggs which were on the menu, both meals were freshly and beautifully cooked. To follow I chose White chocolate and raspberry cheesecake, it was from the homemade menu and absolutely delicious.
The friendly staff, atmosphere and good food and drink make the Cross Oaks well worth a visit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear vivienne c,
Thanks for your positive review! We really appreciate your feedback!
Many thanks,
Dave, Lesley and all the team.

Been to The Cross Oak Inn? Share your experiences!