“Nice spa” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Parkway Hotel & Spa

You added The Parkway Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cwmbran Drive | Newport, South Wales, Cwmbran NP44 3UW, Wales (Formerly Best Western)   |
Announcement
New Suites coming July!
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cwmbran
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dumbleton, United Kingdom
“Nice spa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We were a group of friends joining up for a post christmas jet together. The hotel had good reviews and had a spa so we choose it over others. Two days before chrismas I had a call to say that certain facilities would be closing early or not available. We were happy with the limited services the hotel had to offfer but we were stuck when it came to eating out we tried nearby Cwmbran - sorry but this is basically a shopping centre - the gastro pubs as advertised were terrible. So all in all make sure the hotel can offer food, drink and a full spa opening 10-5 not really what I expected as I like an early swim before breakfast and a late evening swim. The staff are friendly and helpful the rooms very nice - traditional style but have all mod cons and windows that open. We were there over the bad storms so didn't really see much of the outside as 80mph winds made you run from car to hotel. The pool area very pleasant and steam and sauna good. We didn't use the fitness centre but it looks well run, we were unable to book any spa treatments as they were fully booked even though we were told to do this in the morning after our arrival - so a little bit annoyed as all we wanted different treatments from tans to massages (!) and between four of us could have easily spent £400 which stayed in our pockets.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Droitwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Chose this hotel for a last minute break before the Christmas rush, it was warm, welcoming and a totally great experience. Nothing was ever too much trouble for the staff, the food was delicious and the beds were so comfortable. We will definitely be going again soon.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Had an excellent night at my works Christmas party! A great atmosphere and all staff were very helpful and friendly.
It was very busy but what do you expect at such a popular hotel at Christmas !!
Perfect venue for a works party.

• Stayed December 2013
Wiltshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Attended the annual party night last night. As usual great room. Bathroom small but perfectly adequate. Very comfy bed and all very clean. Great prices for food and bar (and the room). Never disappointed. The cooked bit of breakfast was a little disappointing but overall, ok. Staff here are a credit to you, they are friendly and service excellent. Thanks for another great stay.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Stayed for a weekend at this hotel.
Generally liked the hotel. Nice rooms, and setting. On this alone it may have achieved four stars. The pool and spa area are very nice as well, and these would help.
However, the issues arise around service, especially in relation to food.
On arrival, the receptionist pushed the restaurant at us (to which we agreed to reserve a table). No mention that bar food was also available (which it was).
Not best pleased with the restaurant itself (we will leave a separate review for this).
Breakfast (which we did on both days) offered good food, but things were certainly chaotic. On being sat down at the table, we were not given any further instructions (to help ourselves to food from the buffet) - we only went up by virtue of reading instructions on the table. Also, at the cooked part of the buffet, there was no clear direction in which people should move - so people moved in both directions, which added to the chaos.
Several items were missing from the buffet. Brown sauce was missing one day, and on both days the choice of cereal was very limited.
On the second evening, we ordered 'room service' bar food. It was not made clear that the room service charge applies to each person. Also, when the food did arrive (a little later than the stated time), one item was missing. Though this was soon brought to us.
The cheese board (the missing item) we ordered was terrible value for money - £7 for just 5 (biggish) pieces of cheese and 4 crackers.
On checkout, the receptionist asked if everything was ok. We said 'mostly' in relation to the above issues. She was also not clear in her instructions. There were two documents to sign at the end, one for the room bill itself, and one for the extras (eg. food). She asked me to sign both, as we went along, but did not explain the whole thing from the start. This created more confusion.
Also, both receptionists incorrectly stated my title when checking in and out - more attention to detail needed!.
Finally we went to the spa after checking out. We ordered drinks there (a milkshake and a hot chocolate), and these took in excess of 15 minutes to arrive (surely this is not acceptable).
So overall, I would recommend the hotel for its rooms, but would advise against purchasing any food or drink while staying there.
After our visit, I was sent a survey to complete online. I received an apology in response to the concerns I raised. However, they offered me a 15% discount off my next booking. This has turned out only to apply to bookings made directly with them (and does not apply online). Prices on line are over 15% less than booking with the hotel directly in my experience. And they would have known my booking this time was made on line, and in turn this offer would be of no benefit to me.

Room Tip: I always go for rooms on the upper floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Amazing we were really impressed by the whole place, great rooms, great staff and amazing food. we didn't use the spa facilities by they looked lovely and the prices seemed very reasonable.
we wpuld recommend this hotel. all of our party had a really good stay here.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Newport, South Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Visited here for breakfast. Lovely roaring fire & Christmas decorations in situ. Three of us sat at a small table and decided from the limited choice breakfast menu. I chose a bacon & egg roll with a filter coffee which was around the £6 mark. My friends chose lattes, eggs benedict, toast & a bacon roll. Then we sat down and waited and waited and waited for it to arrive. It was a good thing that we had lots of catching up to do! Eventually after about 45 minutes our food arrived, but the toast had been forgotten and we had to wait another 15 minutes for that to arrive. I was not impressed with the 'greasy-spoon' type bap with just as greasy, fatty bacon inside with an attempt of a bit salad on the side. We then also had cake which we initially paid for along with our breakfast but as someone else served us the cake we were asked to pay again and didn't seem convinced and asked me to describe the person I'd paid! Which I did. I asked for forks to go with the cakes and stood and waited at the bar for the waitress to get them and she walked off and started to do something else! I noticed a huge silver tray full of forks at the end of the bar so I said "I'll just get some forks them is that ok?" to which she replied "yes". Shame the service was so poor as its a nice hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
Kerry J, General Manager at The Parkway Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear RubstersMomma,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor.

I appreciate your feedback with regards to your recent breakfast, I am very sorry that you were disappointed with the choice of breakfast items on our lounge menu.

We do offer a more extensive menu in our Restaurant which includes a wonderful full Welsh breakfast, full continental, pancakes, kippers etc. I am very sorry this wasn't offered to you as I am sure this would have been much more suitable for you.

I sincerely hope you visit us again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Best wishes

Kerry Jennings
General manager

Been to The Parkway Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!