“Great Sunday carvery” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Parkway Hotel & Spa

You added The Parkway Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cwmbran Drive | Newport, South Wales, Cwmbran NP44 3UW, Wales (Formerly Best Western)   |
Offers & Announcements
Dinner, Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cwmbran
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wales, U.K.
“Great Sunday carvery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just returned from our third or fourth visit to the Parkway restaurant for Sunday lunch. This is an excellent venue for a relaxed Sunday lunch and it seems to carry on serving meals for most of the day as far as I can see!
Choose from around 5 starters which are brought to your table. Then order from around 8 mains - 3 of which are meats from the carvery (turkey, beef and lamb being typical). If you choose a main NOT from the carvery it's brought to your table direct. If you choose from the carvery the choice of vegetables, sauces and extras is impressive. You don't touch a thing by the way - just in dicate what you wish to have on your plate. A waiter then follows you back to your table with your meal.
Desserts are displayed on a trolley and brought to your table for you to choose. There is one hot dessert listed on the menu as well!
The service is generally excellent and the whole show seems to run like clockwork under the direction of a VERY 'hands-on' manageress - well done to her and her efficient young staff.
Value for money? Most certainly - better than average I'd say. Lunch for 3 with beers and mineral water came to £68 (no coffee). Not bad considering you have the run of a very comfortable hotel with loads of room for large parties to lounge around having coffee or drinks either before or after lunch.
Try it - you'll probably return again and again after comparing it with other Sunday lunch venues in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kerry J, General Manager at The Parkway Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Alan P,

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.

Our Sunday carvery is extremely popular and we are delighted you enjoy the food and service so much. The carvery is also available every night from 6.30pm in our restaurant should you wish to come of an evening now and then.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon

Kerry Jennings

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I have never used this site before, but after my excellent breakfast this morning me and my wife decided that we had to write something....
I wasn't a guest at the hotel. Me and my wife came here for breakfast on Saturday 13th April to celebrate her birthday... We came around 10am.... We could see that they were almost finished with breakfast but the 2 members of staff that were working that morning were more than happy to seat us and get us our breakfasts, which I will say were absolutely delicious... They checked back to offer us more coffee and tea... The service was outstanding as was the food... I wish I got the waiters/waitress names.... Very good start to my wife's birthday.... Will defiantly be returning

• Stayed April 2013
Kerry J, General Manager at The Parkway Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear George 1962-1962

Thank you very much for posting your review. We are so pleased you enjoyed breakfast in our restaurant and your kind comments are very much appreciated.

We look forward to seeing you again and welcoming you back to our hotel.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My girlfriend and I had an overnight stay in the Parkway, with dinner in the restaurant included. We checked in and the receptionist was very helpful, informing us of all the facilities available and welcomed us warmly. After checking into our room we made our way down to the lounge, where we waited til our table in Ravellos was ready. The lounge was very busy but the atmosphere was nice, and there was even entertainment, which consisted of an old chap playing the piano.. Wasn't our thing but you could see everyone else was enjoying his performance. We were then called into the restaurant where we had our evening meal. The staff were very quick and efficient, but at the same time they weren't trying to usher us out as soon as possible, even though it seemed to be very busy! For main course I had a selection of meat and vegetables from the carvery, whereas my girlfriend had the fish from the a la carte menu. I have to say the carvery was delicious, everything was thoughly cooked and extremely tasty, and my girlfriend informed me that the fish she had was also delicious, extremely tasty, and that she would definitely order it again.
Great night sleep in what looked like a brand new bed! Bathroom was very clean and modern, my girlfriend is very fussy when it comes to cleanliness but she was very pleased with the bathroom.
Breakfast the next day was excellent! Although we were late coming down, the staff kindly plated everything for us and it was all fresh. Didn't get any of the breakfast staff's names, but an older lady who seemed to be some sort of manager was very accommodating with our late arrival, and couldn't do enough to make sure we got our breakfast.
The only constructive critism I have is that that furniture in the lounge and reception looked a bit tired and dated.
On the whole, brilliant hotel, will definitely be back! :)

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Joe-707,

Thank you very much for posting such a wonderful review. We are delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you were impressed with the food our restaurant.

Our hotel is now under new ownership and we are so pleased that the improvements we have already made are being noticed by our guests. Our lounge furniture /area that you mentioned in your review is also in the process of a full refurbishment.

We sincerely hope you visit us again very soon and see the many more improvements made within the hotel.

East Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

If you are staying in South Wales on business then I can recommend the Parkway as a pleassant and well situated hotel. Just 5 minutes off the M4 and pleassantly tucked away from the busy town and city centres. Park and ride for Cardiff is a ten minute drive from the hotel.
Excellent leisure facilities and welcoming staff, to boot!

Room Tip: The car park to the front of the hotel can busy and a bit noisy in the evening if there has been a w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear EastYorkshireFing,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted that you found our hotel to be "a good place to stay" and your lovely comments about our welcoming staff are really appreciated.

We sincerely hope you visit us again in the not too distant future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We arrived at the hotel to be greeted by some very polite and pleasant staff.
The evening meal was delightful as were the staff. We didnt feel rushed to leave the table. Ellie was a delightful young lady who couldn't do enought for us.
The room was a little dated but we had everything we needed.
The lesure facilites are very good.
We then went for breakfast!!!!!.......There was a young lady called Kate who was rude obnoxious and it was clear she didnt want to be there. Im not sure if she has a set of teeth because not once did the smile. The rest of the staff were very hard working and jolly people and the food was to a high standard.
As I have said in my review title - one person lets the whole place down.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My first impressions was good liked what I saw. The receptionist was very nice and helpful. Our room was lovely but our bedding quality was terrible it was like sleeping in a crisp bag which kept me awake most of the night so I had a terrible nights sleep. The bed was good but the bedding or quilt cover was cheap quality very noisy. I enjoyed the leisure part very impressed. I had a drink at the bar and the bar staff were very friendly. loved the roaring fire it gave the hotel a nice warm feeling very cozy.
Breakfast was terrible it was cold and had been sitting around for a long time, no apologises. Did not see the little notice on the tables saying we could have freshly made breakfasts it was too late and the waitress did not let us know that was another option, if I had known I would have gone for that than the over cooked and cold buffet breakfast. I know it was in the week and we came down for break at 8.55am but we were on holiday so we should of been catered for. At a certain time the buffet should be taken away and freshly cooked should be offered to avoid disappointment. I would recommend that you dont go for the breakfast option go to whetherspoons it would be cheaper and fresher. I told the receptionist when we checked out but she did not seem very concerned.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear honeybug88,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am so sorry you didn't enjoy your breakfast with us during your recent stay at our hotel. We are now under new ownership and many changes have already been made to how we serve and present our Welsh Breakfast.

I am pleased that you were impressed with our leisure facilities and that you found our staff to be friendly and accommodating.

I sincerely hope you visit us again in the near future and see the many improvements our new owners have made.

Kind regards

Gillingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had the most wonderful birthday last march,the room was amazing the relaxing pool area is fantastic, The staff were very nice, in the restaurant some of the staff were a bit upsetting as they brought my cake out after my husband asked twice and then they just stood there it up too the other guest to start singing,yet the night before was fantastic al la carte evening, going back in september as enjoyed it very much,we are taking friends

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Parkway Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!