Just 2 or 3 miles beyond the rush and bustle of Boothbay Harbor, this inn was terrific. Set on a beautiful 40+ acres of a wooded peninsula on Southport Isalnd, with the bays and inlets of Boothbay Harbor all around it. One of the 5 or 6 small buildings of units is dog-friendly, which was nice, and there were great breakfasts in the Pavilion dining room. Just outside the dining room was a lovely open (roofed) pavilion, perfect for taking that last cup of coffee outside to sit at one of the tables there and read the newspapers. They only serve (a very good) breakfast here, so you'll have to go out for other meals, which was fine with us. Lots to choose from right in the area.
The staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms were immaculate and comfortable. They were big enough to leave the suitcases lying around and still feel uncrowded. A lovely deck overlooking the water right outside the room's front door, with 2 good chairs and a table on the deck.
The whole place felt comfortable and serene, very kid-friendly since it's well off the main road, and it has lots of paths around for exploring.
There was a well-kept swimming pool (heated) with plenty of lounge chairs, a little miniature golf area, tennins and basketball couts a short walk away, a lovely pier with seating, kayaks and canoes to use.
There's no "beach" at the resort, but if you go down further on Southport Island, at the "Public Landing" there's a great little sandy beach - good for beachcombing and swimming, or sitting on the sand to read or watch the boats go by. It's in a cove so there's no big waves, but protected, would be good for kids.
Close enough to Boothbay Harbor to zip in for lunch or dinner, and that's a great little resort town to browse around in - plenty of varied places to eat, concerts and good shops, lots of art galleries etc. - but I was so happy to be outside the congestion of the village itself. Be sure to go exploring around Southport Island, it's lovely. I'd recommend the Ocean Gate to family and friends for sure, and may well plan to go back myself..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ocean Gate Resort is a 45-acre oceanfront resort surrounded on 3 sides by tidal inlet and less than 3 miles from Boothbay Harbor. The nine buildings are nestled among the majestic pines and perched on the rocky coast line of Maine. All rooms include a full breakfast, refrigerator, coffee maker, A/C, cable TV. On-site free amenities include a heated pool, canoes, kayaks, fitness room, mini-golf course, tennis and basketball court, playground, and stocked fishing pond. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia and Priceline so you can book your Ocean Gate Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Gate Hotel Southport
- Ocean Gate Boothbay Harbor
- Ocean Gate Resort Maine/Southport