The staff was great and made us feel at home. As an informal, woodsy retreat, the resort has a lot to offer for the nature lover and the adventurer, while featuring comfort and sparkling cleanliness and access to a variety of ammenities. The ariel photo may lead you to think that the island is surrounded by a white sandy beach. But instead, it is really a "white" granite rocky coastline that is off-limits on foot, and mostly covered with seaweed in the p.m. at low tide. But look past that, and you will enjoy interesting views all around, and perhaps a radiant afterglow of the sunset, By morning, the tide quietly rises and it's a stunningly beautiful series of coves and islands teaming with wildlife, including an osprey in her nest, a variety of pleasant birds calling, and a harbor seal bobbing his head with a fish. It was fun to watch the kayakers, occasional lobster boats, and sailing craft navigate the waters near and far.
In the old fashioned lobster bake we paid extra for in advance, the seafood was more flavorful than any lobster we have ever eaten beacuse they are steamed with natural seaweed over a wood fire- 2 good sized lobsters each, a doz. steamers, corn on the cob, rolls, salads, lemonade, and delicious wild blueberry cake. Mmm- what a feast!!
We truly enjoyed the clean, fresh water pond. Jim fished while I took out the paddleboat. The blooming water lilies, soft shorline grasses, and interesting protrusions of rock formations I photographed have made artistic scenes for paintings or greeting cards.
The breakfast was good, and hearty, like brunch. But, even though it was included in the price of our room, we elected to have breakfast 2 out of 5 days in town where we had heard of
certain restaurant specialities, and so we could be with the locals.
We would love to come back again, and perhaps bring our son's family when the grandchildren are of school-age. It is also a great home-base for other excursions
of the Boothbay Harbor region.
Jim and Kathie from Rochester in upstate New York.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ocean Gate Resort is a 45-acre oceanfront resort surrounded on 3 sides by tidal inlet and less than 3 miles from Boothbay Harbor. The nine buildings are nestled among the majestic pines and perched on the rocky coast line of Maine. All rooms include a full breakfast, refrigerator, coffee maker, A/C, cable TV. On-site free amenities include a heated pool, canoes, kayaks, fitness room, mini-golf course, tennis and basketball court, playground, and stocked fishing pond. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel and Venere so you can book your Ocean Gate Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Gate Hotel Southport
- Ocean Gate Boothbay Harbor
- Ocean Gate Resort Maine/Southport