We recently spent 2 nights at the Ocean Gate Resort on our vacation in Maine. We were very impressed with the renovated ocean view room overlooking the water (in the Cedar building). Everything in the room was new and well cleaned. The bathroom was small, but very clean. Overall, the grounds, the pool, and the recreational facilities appeared well maintained. My husband and daughter enjoyed the kayaks and ping pong. We didn't use the pool, but we saw that it was clean, and many other guests were enjoying it.
Breakfast in the pavilion is a very relaxing experience! What a beautiful setting. The breakfast itself was ok. The eggs were disappointing; perhaps they were powdered eggs, but they were rubbery and watery at both breakfasts. Otherwise, there was a good selection of breakfast items.
HOWEVER - there is one defect that I hope the owners will fix, and that is the septic system. I noticed the septic smell as I sat on our balcony, and it was overwhelming at times. I walked down the lawn, and noticed what I believe were septic pipes just before the lawn area. I could smell the septic smell all the way down to the dock, where it was overpowering. From the end of the dock, I could see a cement box, and a smaller one. I could hear a gurgling sound from the rocks, and noticed a stream of water from a small pipe. Seems like the septic water drains right into the ocean. I don't know if this can be remedied, but the odor was quite noticeable our entire stay. I hope this is on the list of capital improvements for this otherwise nice resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ocean Gate Resort is a 45-acre oceanfront resort surrounded on 3 sides by tidal inlet and less than 3 miles from Boothbay Harbor. The nine buildings are nestled among the majestic pines and perched on the rocky coast line of Maine. All rooms include a full breakfast, refrigerator, coffee maker, A/C, cable TV. On-site free amenities include a heated pool, canoes, kayaks, fitness room, mini-golf course, tennis and basketball court, playground, and stocked fishing pond. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, Despegar.com, Expedia, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Otel so you can book your Ocean Gate Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Gate Hotel Southport
- Ocean Gate Boothbay Harbor
- Ocean Gate Resort Maine/Southport